PDA

View Full Version : Freesat Channels and the new Irish Saorsat DTT channels...a query

dalyden
25-03-11, 18:14
Hi guys, first time posting here. As you may know Ireland will be launching a DTT service at the end of May( called Saorview ). As I have a dish pointing at Astra 28.2 I am currently receiving the Freesat channels via a sky box with card removed( I stopped my subscripton late last year ). I am now looking for a STB which will allow me watch the Freesat channels from the Sat Dish and the DTT channels for the UHF aerial. The Saorview spec calls for DVB-T with MPEG4, MHEG5 middleware for Reb button interactivity. Can someone please advise if the VU+Duo will suffice?
Best regards,

Denis

silverfox0786
25-03-11, 22:42
Yeah Mate get a vu duo that will be brill for you

it will do all that and more

if not a budget and only want single tuner try the vu solo instead

hifial
26-03-11, 08:29
You would need to add a USB digital terrestrial tuner to the duo as well to get the irish channels

dalyden
27-03-11, 09:54
Thanks for your replies guys.

Cheers hifial. Where would I purchase that USB digital tuner please? I was not aware of such a thing.

irishchris
27-03-11, 10:39
yes vu+ duo is perfect for saorview and ticks all the boxes. but note it does not do mheg5 so no digital aertel or saorview mheg5 epg when launched. the standard dvb epg works fine providing 7 day epg for as long as rte still broadcast it

dalyden
27-03-11, 15:14
Thank you irishchris,

Are there any plans for the box to include MHEG5 in the future? My understanding is that this is required for red button interactivity etc. On the same point does the box support red button on the Freesat side?

Please forgive these extra questions. I am just trying to cover all the bases before purchasing.

Best regards,

Denis

Larry-G
27-03-11, 15:18
Thank you irishchris,

Are there any plans for the box to include MHEG5 in the future? My understanding is that this is required for red button interactivity etc. On the same point does the box support red button on the Freesat side?

Please forgive these extra questions. I am just trying to cover all the bases before purchasing.

Best regards,

Denis

as far as i'm aware no box but those that carry the freesat logo can handle the red button functions properly from freesat or sky for that matter.
you can manually go to the red button streams but you wont have the same red button functions as you would with a branded freesat receiver.