PDA

View Full Version : need help setting up my dish and vu+duo

cossworth
24-03-11, 23:27
originaly i had help setting up my other dish so i cannot rememeber half of what i did last time anyway here is my problem

ive ran into a bit bother again and all i need is yer advice i still have my horizon meter and i bought a triax 1.10m dish a few month ago so i thought id put it up however i have put it up and it did have 80%signal on thor anyway when i went to do a scan no signal on thor so i left it all night went back this morning and it had signal locked on so i done a scan got 350 channels so i thought good i will try another sat now and it aint locking on to anything and now it wont lock back onto thor and thats even when i tell it to go to 0 and thast where thor should be what do you think could be wrong as i did think i had done it alright anyway what i need to ask you is if my stuff says this on dishpointer.com and this is for thor for my location it say Latitude: 56.1677°
Longitude: -3.1445° my satillite data it says Name: 0.8W INTELSAT 10-02 | THOR 5 | THOR 6
Distance: 38980km

and for my dish set up data it says

Elevation: 26.0°
Azimuth (true): 177.2°
Azimuth (magn.): 180.7°
LNB Skew [?]: -1.6°

so on setting my dish up i had my motor setting on 34 and i did try my dish elevation at 26.0 but i had to change it to 27 as it wouldnt lock on at 26

so up until now have i done it ok it says on my motor manual i have to do it like this for

site latitude 56 set motor to 34 and declination angle to 7.8 and dish bracket to 22.2

so realy all i need to know is what do i go by for dish bracket 22.2 or 26 like what dishpointer.com says or should 27 be ok and what is declination angle
and also on my vu+duo what realy should i put in for long and lat if it says that on dishpointer.com is that exactly what i put in or do i need to mod it someway before i put it in

ive set up a dish about 3 times now just need to know if im right in what im saying or wrong please as i just dont understand why its doing this so thought id go over everything this up above was copy and pasted from a messsage ive sent a guy but he hasnt replied yet and i didnt want to type basicly the same thing twice eh ? lol

anyway any advive would be great guys

forgot to point out the motor i have is a technomate 2600 its worked perfect on my 1m dish i just took down and the motor setting was on 34 then also my motor seems to be moving alot slower is the 2600 ok for a 1.10 triax dish should it be ok or do i need to get another

Sicilian
25-03-11, 11:11
When you first aligned the dish what satellite did you align with?

I've never actually installed a dish myself, but you should make sure the motor is set to '0', then align with Thor.

cossworth
25-03-11, 13:44
the way ive always done was put motor to 0 then take motor leads out of box then move dish and motor to thor with it still on 0 then with wires still out tell box to go to thor wait 2-3 minutes then put leads back in then once i do a scan it finds all the channels normaly but this time it found 350 channels so i saved it as position 7 and now when i go back to thore it doesnt lock on which is realy weird as my other dish worked perfect

Data
25-03-11, 17:44
If you have a vu plus box. you would be tter using USALS to setup your dish the first time. enter your lat and long then tell the box to send the dish to thor which by the way is not at 0 but slightly to the west of 0. then get it hitting the best signal there. then get the vu to send it to 39e check to see if the signal gets better if you push up or down. then note this down on a piece of paper then tell the box to move the dish to 39w and do the same. if your dish is set square on the motor and the pole is set perfectly verticaL in all planes. Then you will see the dish is either to low on both sides or too high on both side. then just go back to thor change your elavation reset the dish offset then try again see if it gets better or worse. If you find that the dish is pissed and up on one side and down on the other your dish is not square on the motor shaft.

cossworth
25-03-11, 21:19
the 1st time i ever used usuals was when i had a technomate 1500+CI and it never worked but i asssume this was becuase of a guy telling me to set thor so it was bang on 0 anyway if i reset motor put it to 0 tell vu+duo to go to thor then align dish and motor so signal on thor is 80% then at that point can i still keep my horizon meter plugged into lnb only then tell box to go to astra 28.2east then tell it to go to 30w as ive never been able to get anything past these 2 sats anyway will the box move the motro no bother even though i have meter plugged into the lnb

also got a question for you Data what do you think of the dm8000 clone i was hoping to buy one so i sold my cnc router got the cash for one then the guy at primusat didnt get them in stock i did wait a few weeks but ended up buying a Vu+duo and id still realy like to have a dm8000 as i have a dm600 with sat tuner cable tuner and freeview tuner i would of kept the tuners for the dm8000 do you think the dm8000 is way better than the vu+duo or is the duo just the same apart from 2 extra tuners and a dvd drive and wifi and 2 extra CI slots as i realy had my heart set on a dm8000 and i know ************ now have them in stock eh ? is it worth buying or should i just stick to my vu+duo anyway id love to hear yer opinion m8

Data
26-03-11, 20:09
to answer your first question you only need your horizon meter direct to the lnb of the motorised sat all the time. get your self a couple of very cheap childrens walkie talkies and get your mate to get the vu to change to the other sats. should only take 10 mins from start to finish if your pole is spot on. to answer your second question I have both vu duo and clone dm8000. if you get a good dm8000 clone the quality is the same as the vu. but in my opinion there is no better box made now or in the past than the vu duo or come to that the solo. if you do your home work there is very very little to go wrong with the vu's build quality is 100% and the backup from the manufactures is first rate. and as for andyblac there is no better programmer. this is the only forum that you can have an image and get an answer to a change to that image from the programmer. there is no other forum that will tell you who is doing the magical work on the images. just my two peneth there m8.

basilyoung
26-03-11, 21:16
re motor set ups

the mount pole needs to be absolutey plum
the motor elivation should be what ever your " north " setting is, ie; liverpool would be approx 53.300 , so the motor would be set to 53.5
once the motor is fixed to the surport pole, add the dish
standing under the dish/motor assembly, the dish arm, should be in a straight line with the motor body
move the whole assembly to true south
on your reciever, ( with the coax connected to the motor+dish ) set it to a fta channel,..ie, BBC World
with the whole assembly slightly loose, elivate the dish gently, moving the assembly gently left/right, until you get a signal, and piccy
lock up the assembly evenly, making fine adjustments to get max signal
set your USAL settings on the reciever
then see if it finds 28 east, if it does ( and should do so )
check your sig strengths on 28 east, gently pushing the dish up/down, left right
if the dish signal is strong on 1 west, but weak on 28 east, you may need to raise or drop the motor elivation slightly, and the opposite on the dish elivation, ie, drop the motor, raise the dish

baz