PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy, but before I do

laptopu
29-05-10, 09:56
There are some things I would like to know about this box.

I have a fixed 28.2 Astra dish on the wall and a motorised dish also. If I set this up, when I go to set a timed record on Astra and the dish is pointing at another satellite, will the receiver automatically select the fixed dish, or is the LNB set individually for each channel and I would have to do this manually?

Is there a series link plug-in for this? And can bouquets be downloaded off a remote server if the provider changes frequencies or channel lists so it is all updated automatically?

This may be a bit ambitious, but if I connect a USB DVD drive up, is there a plug-in that will let me use it just like another DVD player so I can just insert a disc and the disc menu pops up? (I am thinking this receiver could be an entire media centre effectively).

Last question, if I got one of these thin-client style media browsers (like this - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/192060) would I be able to stream around the house and change channels using the media browser? This would let me replace my ageing AV distributor with something that is HD quality if I could do this.

Thanks for helping and for advice.

As it's my first post on this forum, I wanted to say how excited I am about what this kit appears to be able to do. The last satellite receiver I used was a Fortec one and I am going back to the days of Fun Cards with that, I have never used a receiver that is capable of running things like cccam which I think will be absolutely great. I have used the DBox2 but not on satellite, that was really hit and miss on streaming using Tuxbox (I think I got it working once), and that used Magiccam or Evocam. If this box can do what I am asking here, and I suspect it probably can from what I have read so far, this will be the box to end all boxes for me.

Sicilian
29-05-10, 10:27
There are some things I would like to know about this box.

I have a fixed 28.2 Astra dish on the wall and a motorised dish also. If I set this up, when I go to set a timed record on Astra and the dish is pointing at another satellite, will the receiver automatically select the fixed dish, or is the LNB set individually for each channel and I would have to do this manually?

You can connect both satellites. If a timer is set to record from Astra28.2 it will automatically select a free tuner. If you wish to watch another channel on Astra28.2 the motorised dish will automatically get selected.

Is there a series link plug-in for this? And can bouquets be downloaded off a remote server if the provider changes frequencies or channel lists so it is all updated automatically?

There is a plugin for recording series but you need to set up filter to find the programs through the EPG. Or when setting a timer from a program you have the option of setting it weekly. Settings/bouquets can be uploaded easily using dreamboxedit. Look in the engima2 settings sections, everything it is there.

This may be a bit ambitious, but if I connect a USB DVD drive up, is there a plug-in that will let me use it just like another DVD player so I can just insert a disc and the disc menu pops up? (I am thinking this receiver could be an entire media centre effectively).

The Dream Elite image has working DVD player addon, but can be a little buggy.

Last question, if I got one of these thin-client style media browsers (like this - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/192060) would I be able to stream around the house and change channels using the media browser? This would let me replace my ageing AV distributor with something that is HD quality if I could do this.

I've got one of those Sumvision MKV's, dont really understand what your wanting to do? You can watch streamed TV channels from the Duo using the web interface.

laptopu
29-05-10, 16:26
Thanks Sicillian that is really helpful.

The way it operates the tuners is exactly what I am looking for. Series link sounds a bit more complicated, for instance my other half loves how she can press record on that well-known 'plus' box, then press green and it records all the programs in the series. Once I have set up all the plug-ins, will it still be as straightforward (generally speaking) for her to do?

Is the DVD plugin being developed for other images? This would nicely replace all the boxes under my TV at the moment.

I probably didn't explain myself very well on the streaming feature. At the moment I have a satellite receiver in one room and a distributor to send it to other TV's in the house. If I want to change channels I use one of those remote control extenders, but I am stuck to watching the one channel. What I want to do is get one of those media viewers instead so the other TV displays the stream of the box through my local network, not an AV distributor, and so I can control channels like this too. That means the media viewer on the other TV would display the stream on the TV instead of a relay out the scart at the back.

If I did this, how many independent streams are possible? Could I still watch something on the main TV, then on the other TV could that select a separate stream so two channels could be viewed at the same time? (Would one C line do this?)

Thanks again.

steve1978
29-05-10, 22:28
Hi mate, in short No,

Firstly, the VU is no replacement for a Sly Plus box. Enigma 2 just isnt the same. it used to be hard emough getting a working program guide for further than 2 hours so a series link is out. (program guide is now good though)

streaming.... yu wont be able to stream live tv to that sumvision box. you can stream it to a PC. this utilises 1 tuner. if the person in another room turns over then i believe the stream will also stop, although i have not tested this.

Monty
29-05-10, 22:42
Changing channel on the box while a stream is running will not affect the stream.

Sicilian
30-05-10, 06:19
Hi mate, in short No,

Firstly, the VU is no replacement for a Sly Plus box. Enigma 2 just isnt the same. it used to be hard emough getting a working program guide for further than 2 hours so a series link is out. (program guide is now good though)

I'm not sure what EPG plugin your using, but I get 5-7 days on most channels in the UK and for many satellites around europe.

Series timers can be set, but not like the Sky + receivers sets them. Its needs a few more buttons pressed.

streaming.... yu wont be able to stream live tv to that sumvision box. you can stream it to a PC. this utilises 1 tuner. if the person in another room turns over then i believe the stream will also stop, although i have not tested this.

You can watch channels through the web interface independently of what is currently being viewed on the TV.

I'm pretty sure the DVD player is also working on VTI and in time I'm sure PLi will fix it on their image. As stated you wont be able to stream to the Sumvision. In all honesty if you have a Sumvision MKV player enclosure, that will be a better media player the the Duo. The media players side of things still needs some work.

Stanman
30-05-10, 11:43
Boss, can you do an idiots gudie to the series link workaround? At the moment I do a weekly repeat but what you are saying will that mean the recording will shift if say footy over runs as is possible in June?

laptopu
30-05-10, 12:01
Thanks so far all.

This has thrown up a couple of questions for me, this is mainly the series link and the web streaming.

How easy is it to get series link up and running? Perhaps not as easy as Sly but surely there must be something that isn't massively complicated?

For web streaming, I was not looking just at that box, I just used that as an example. I have also seen this - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/174515 this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/205136 and this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/166255. I want to be able to watch the stream of the Vu on another TV, and be able to control it from that TV, and one of these boxes seems to be the ideal solution.

Ultimately, will there ever be DLNA support?

The DVD playback sounds promising, it sounds that the developers are moving towards making this box an all-singing, all-dancing media unit.

laptopu
30-05-10, 12:57
I have done a bit of researching, and I think I am asking some really complicated questions about this streaming stuff here. What I think I am asking is will the Duo act as a uPnP server so I can connect a uPnP client (like this http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/13864163/LaCie-LaCinema-Mini-HD-Connect-Media-Streamer-Designed-By-Neil-Poulton/Product.html) up to a TV and watch the Duo through that box? (And can I change channels on that box?)

Sicilian
30-05-10, 14:07
OpenPLi do have a uPnP plugin in their addons feed, but I cant tell you if it works or not with the Duo.