PDA

View Full Version : VU+ replacing my Tivo

Comfysofa
22-03-11, 22:46
Hi - not sure where this is going to go but.....

Probably no consequence to anyone but, my Tivo will be dying soon....theyre stopping the service on 1st June which is a sad day as my old series one Tivo absolutely trounced anything with an epg on the planet and ive seen alot of receivers...

Anyway - seeing as Virgin are dragging their heels with their new Tivo plus i believe its going to be a rip off (200 quid just to get the thing through your front door when it actually turns up). My vu+ has been sitting idle in my office as i tend not to go in there too much but i thought i would press into active service, so here the questions..and theyre mainly epg related...

Ive got a minimum sub for sky and im out of contract so the card can sit in the VU+ happily - i tested that and it worked straight away.

EPG's - are there different versions that you can use or is there just one? Can you series link/season pass programs?

Can i utilize a bigger drive than 1tb yet?

Is there a terrestrial HD usb tuner that can be used?

Anyway - so far for me the VU has been something to mess around with now and again (therapy if you will) - i had some successes with it, but not many, i used to use keypacks but apparently thats old hat as its done other ways now + plus the warning on the front page that i got redirected to pretty well bans most of the interesting stuff....

So, if anyone could answer the above questions or chip in as ive only got 12 weeks left on old faithful so i need to get something in place and this looks like the best bet...(my other alternative was a DB8000)

Thanks to anyone that has a pop...

Comfy

silverfox0786
22-03-11, 22:52
epg there are a few different ones you casn use satmate ryvix and crossepg all good giving 14 days or so. link and series link is all available as timers and auto timers

at the moment i beleive a 2tb drive can be used no probs ass 1 partition

HD not yet but DVB-T sticks are available and working for this receiver infacr T2 has not been implimented on any box or image yet

if its a replacement box u want the duo is fine the dm8000 has better specs but at over double the price a duo will do u just fine
plus not sure if sly card works in internal reader of a dm8000

Comfysofa
22-03-11, 23:05
Well, thanks for the quick reply....firstly - when i got my vu+ about 7 months ago 1tb was the max...has software changed this??

Where can i get the USB tuner from? and does it auto install or is there some config to be done/thread to follow....

Are there any screen shots of the EPG's (its gotta pass the wife test) so its got to be easy to use....

Again - thanks for the reply...

bassethound
22-03-11, 23:36
VU+ have added more support for HDD i use a F3 1.5tb HDD works great there is a supported HDD list below

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?860-Please-post-your-working-brand-of-internal-SATA-HDD-and-size

if you instal VIX 2.0 some USB tuner are supported see image release notes for compatible USB tuners

here are some epg screen grabs from the latest VIX image 2.0 there are two ways of having it working

Blu-ray
22-03-11, 23:41
Hi, How do you get the option to have the small tv in top corner.

bassethound
22-03-11, 23:46
Hi, How do you get the option to have the small tv in top corner.

Bring up the epg list and press menu change picture in graphics to yes

then change item per page to 5

and then restart gui

Blu-ray
22-03-11, 23:51
Cool how many more things can this little box do.

bassethound
23-03-11, 00:00
Cool how many more things can this little box do.

what would you like the box to do Blu-ray?

Blu-ray
23-03-11, 00:05
It seems to have hidden menus that you dont see until someone has a problem and up pops these little goodies.

Desitv
23-03-11, 00:06
Can Vix Image support Hdd 2Tb Samsung HD204UI/Z4, SpinPoint EcoGreen F4EG SATA 3Gb/s, 32MB Cache, 8.9 ms ?

http://www.businessdirect.bt.com/products/samsung-2tb-spinpoint-ecogreen-f4eg-sata3-32mb-hard-drive-74TD.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=Manufacturers%27%20Codes&utm_term=hd204ui%2Fz4+broad
Thanks

bassethound
23-03-11, 00:11
Can Vix Image support Hdd 2Tb Samsung HD204UI/Z4, SpinPoint EcoGreen F4EG SATA 3Gb/s, 32MB Cache, 8.9 ms ?

http://www.businessdirect.bt.com/products/samsung-2tb-spinpoint-ecogreen-f4eg-sata3-32mb-hard-drive-74TD.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=Manufacturers%27%20Codes&utm_term=hd204ui%2Fz4+broad
Thanks

Check the link below for HDD that have been confirmed working on the DUO

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?860-Please-post-your-working-brand-of-internal-SATA-HDD-and-size

Blu-ray
23-03-11, 00:13
As to what i would like the box to do is, set up my panasonic dmr850 triple tuner with blu-ray recorder so i can record from the vu+duo on to my blu-ray disc if possible.

Desitv
23-03-11, 00:15
Check the link below for HDD that have been confirmed working on the DUO

Thanks Mate

silverfox0786
23-03-11, 00:24
As to what i would like the box to do is, set up my panasonic dmr850 triple tuner with blu-ray recorder so i can record from the vu+duo on to my blu-ray disc if possible.

blue ray on a duo cant be done it something to do with linux open source and sony bluray having a closed sourse and needing keys to encrypt decrypt the bluray protection

i am following this and there is a case being herd to get sony to release keys to linux

till then u gotta transfer to pc and record that way

even trying to use a bluray drive with cd or dvd disks wont work as the drive is not recocnised by the box

bassethound
23-03-11, 00:27

Im sure its technically possible to get both boxes talking to each other

but seeing the price of the box i dont think there will be many members that have both boxes that can help you Achieve your goal

good luck bassethound

Blu-ray
23-03-11, 00:29
Lost insructions for panasonic but was told you can connect a scart lead from the vu+ to the panasonic and it will record on to blu-ray.

Comfysofa
24-03-11, 08:28
The penny just dopped on the vix image - im on 1.3....

The epg looks pretty trick on the screen shots....thanks

Comfysofa
24-03-11, 21:05
Still cant get my sly card to work in the card reader natively - just upgraded to Vix 2.0, reinstalled the cam and still nothing....ive also added the box key in the cfg file and - still only works when i put the card in the Diablo....

Comfysofa
24-03-11, 21:27
This leads me to another question and something that i took for granted on the Tivo....the tivo always recorded everything that on- effectively buffering tv for (in my case as my tivo was pretty heavily customized) 3 hours at a time so - if i came in saw the end of a film and then hit record i it would track back to the start....can the vu do this??

Larry-G
24-03-11, 21:29
This leads me to another question and something that i took for granted on the Tivo....the tivo always recorded everything that on- effectively buffering tv for (in my case as my tivo was pretty heavily customized) 3 hours at a time so - if i came in saw the end of a film and then hit record i it would track back to the start....can the vu do this??

no it would only record from the point you hit record. what you have to understand is that multi millions £££ $$$ have been spent on this feature for the tivo where as the VU and all other (hobby) boxes, these features are written by average joe's / amateurs with no private funding.

micscave
24-03-11, 22:16

If permanent timeshift is enabled and the the box has been on the channel in question since the film started, then yes if you hit the record button you get a list of options. One of them is "Timeshift save recording (stop after current event)". This works, I've used it a few times.

Hope this helps

banie01
24-03-11, 22:16
Lost insructions for panasonic but was told you can connect a scart lead from the vu+ to the panasonic and it will record on to blu-ray.

Surely since Scart can't pass HD signal that would be a waste of a Bluray disc?
Apart from outright capacity/storage there is no benefit to using a bluray burner over a DVD burner if the signal is sent via scart.

Comfysofa
24-03-11, 22:52
Ah - ok - is there anyway to set the size of the buffer....??

micscave
24-03-11, 23:05
Ah - ok - is there anyway to set the size of the buffer....??

Yes there is : menu > setup > system > timeshift settings > permanent timeshift max length. This is defaulted to 3 hours.

Comfysofa
24-03-11, 23:06
Another recording question....for some reason i can get some channels and the ones i cant get ( which i should be able to ) come up blank and the record light appears but nothings recording....

Comfysofa
24-03-11, 23:08
Thanks for all of this info by the way....its getting better ( still mourning the impending loss of my trusty tivo )......

micscave
24-03-11, 23:31
Another recording question....for some reason i can get some channels and the ones i cant get ( which i should be able to ) come up blank and the record light appears but nothings recording....

The recording light comes on if your timeshifting.

Comfysofa
24-03-11, 23:34
Ah, ok - this is all good...i see now...so why doesnt mine decode for example SyFy i have that channel in my subscription...?

micscave
25-03-11, 01:35
Ah, ok - this is all good...i see now...so why doesnt mine decode for example SyFy i have that channel in my subscription...?

It sounds like you need to set your config up with your boxkey. If you search boxkey on the forum you'll find plenty of info how to do this.

Stanman
25-03-11, 12:03
comfy, do you have the movies and sports?
If not you dont need to bother with a box key.
These questions might have been asked but cant read all posts as its a 3 page thread but have you IPK the softcam, installed the CFG file in etc and than started the cam and set it to autostart?
Once you've done that, press blue and go into CCcam and check to see if you can see entitlement info for the card.
The card needs to go chip facing down into either of the card slots.

Comfysofa
26-03-11, 21:38
Well, i just thought id chime back in.....been using it for a few days now.....(owned it for the last 9 months or so but never really had a good go with it). Its running just connected to the fixed dish ( havent got to the motorized connection ) - but ive gotta say - im pretty impressed, no, very impressed. Ive dropped some MKVHD's on there and it plays them beautifully along with avi's and divx's ( dont know if its widely known but ive been using project valerie as a media player on there and its great - even downloads the cover art- stonking )

One thing ive found is the epg....bit hit or miss....ie....your surfing through channels and some are blank and some have channel info - you go to one that has no info - it updates and you see it - sometimes, sometimes not, very patchy - is that the way it is or is there something else i have to do to get the whole lot all of the time...

Any way - cracking bit of kit - just took me a bit of time to find out...heh

Thanks to everyone thats chipped in...

Comfysofa
26-03-11, 22:07
Just noticed theres a new image so ive got to go through it all again....good training though. I'd just like to add that this is the kind of support/new images, new features that make this receiver so good, might get another....