PDA

View Full Version : What's your AV Amp/Set up?

banie01
22-03-11, 01:04
Hiya Folks!
Just curious as to what kind of setups the good folk here are running? ;)
I'll start the ball rolling, I have a Sony STR-DG910 amp in a 5.1 setup.
I'm using a Technics DV290 Fronts/Centre/Rears speaker setup that I has served me many's a year and still give(To my ear at least) a stunning sound.
I have cheated a little by mounting my centre speaker inside the wooden Fire Surround directly under my TV ;) Which not only hides the speaker but gives a lovely Timbre/reverb to the speech!
My Subwoofer is a powered Yamaha(model escapes me at the moment)
All in all its a lovely balanced audio setup with a fantastically clear sound.

So folks.....Whats ye got? ;)

pooface
22-03-11, 13:11
Naff all meself :( lol.

Missus won't allow me to get one installed... Too many wires, too much clutter, etc etc... Maybe one day in the future!!! lol

hummer66
22-03-11, 14:02
Naff all meself :( lol.

Missus won't allow me to get one installed... Too many wires, too much clutter, etc etc... Maybe one day in the future!!! lol

Emmerdale eastenders Corry with surround sound is awesome:cool:

pooface
22-03-11, 14:22

Exactly, especially on the SD channels with mpeg audio ;) :D

banie01
22-03-11, 14:28

Now there's a compelling argument for anyone's Missus ;)

silverfox0786
22-03-11, 15:11
dont make me jelous guys

i want an amp too but not got space for one

bassethound
22-03-11, 15:18
Got a Yamaha AV Amp DSP-AX761 with 7.1 surround sound speakers Blu-Ray movies are wicked!!!!!!!

Donnie
22-03-11, 20:47
Mine is a now out of date Denon AVR-3805 ( no hdmi ) with 6 KEF eggs and a REL Quake sub all about 6 or 7 years old but still sound superb.

Maxwell
23-03-11, 01:18
Sony STRDA2400 ES Amp - full 7.1 speaker system Q Acoustics 1050i floor standing fronts, O Acoustics 1020i Surrounds and 1010i rear surrounds, Monitor Audio RSLCR centre and Acoustic Energy AE100 sub :D

All this compliments my 50" Plasma and my 120" HD LCD projection system very nicely :cool:

As Basset says Blu-rays are wicked !!!!!!

hummer66
23-03-11, 10:30
Onkyo 605 Amp Kef 1005 Speakers 5.1 zone 2 from amp to two ceiling speakers in the kitchen

Foxylady
23-03-11, 14:12
I have 2 amp's both same brand, old skool one and a little more update one, i got both for less than £20 each lol.
The other amp i have is boxed away as it has more gadgets, this is it here, well another one same model lol
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sherwood-Newcastle-R-725-Audio-Video-Receiver-/280646499251?pt=UK_CE_Cassette_RL&hash=item4157d5bbb3.
Currently i am using a Sherwood RD-6318R receiver, which i only have 2 x 500 watt Eltax millennium free standing speakers.
Sound via optical cable.
I hate the surround sound speakers, my setup is perfect for movies games etc, the rear surround just gets annoying and not needed.
I only have it on when watching a movie or on cod mw2 as you can hear every detail of sound, not bad for a cheap setup, thou the speakers when new were £150, older amp was retail of £1000, current using amp approx £300 and setup still to this day looks right with my other entertainment equipment.
To me Sherwood/Sherwood Newcastle are and most likely still one of the best makers for amps

canthackit
23-03-11, 16:06
Just updated my setup.

it now reads>>>>>
Pioneer LX5090 PDP
Pioneer LX83 Reciever
Pioneer LX54 Blu-Ray Player
Gekco 800 Equipment stand
KEF Q series speakers
Q700 fronts
Q300 rears
Q100 center
Q400b sub
Vu+ Duo

got all this as a retirement prezzie to meself :D

regards: canthackit

Maxwell
23-03-11, 19:07
Just updated my setup.

it now reads>>>>>
Pioneer LX5090 PDP
Pioneer LX83 Reciever
Pioneer LX54 Blu-Ray Player
Gekco 800 Equipment stand
KEF Q series speakers
Q700 fronts
Q300 rears
Q100 center
Q400b sub
Vu+ Duo

got all this as a retirement prezzie to meself :D

Nice set of kit, been looking at replacing my amp with a Pioneer LX?? but will have to wait till a bit later in the year now, how do you find your LX83 ?

Larry-G
23-03-11, 19:25

if i ever have to sit through any of those god awful programmes again with standard audio never mind surround sound. i'll eat my shotgun.

canthackit
26-03-11, 08:58
@ maxwell4321

what can i say mate the amp is truly amazing i guarantee you wont regret it, plus you get all the added progs, networkable, ipod dock, bluetooth, and on and on it goes, thats' the 83 the others are equally as good but maybe not as well speced.

get some decent speakers and the audio world will be your oyster :D

delboy13
22-06-11, 21:18
i recently bought denon avr 1911 + q acoustics cinema pack got my pc hooked to tv and amp for my movies. hopefully get a sat reciver this week then im happy

digi247
25-06-11, 21:58
currently running an Onkyo 508 3D compatible amp with the Cambridge audio minx system into the samsung 64"D8000 3D plasma, Which is complemented by my self made HTPC which plays all my 3D Blu ray and media files.

this is a compromise from my last system as SWMBO put her foot down LOL

boxer29
25-06-11, 23:24
ive got sony RHT-G900 amp ,,with vu+duo
my hdmi from vu goes to hdmi in rht g900
hdmi out from rhtg900 my tv hdmi in
ac3 downmix off in vu+duo sound menu ,,
get 5.1 output on those channels which are being broadcasting in 5.1

cactikid
02-08-11, 00:33
Pioneer LX5090 PDP
pioneer bdp-51fd blu-ray player
onkyo tx-sr875 amp
klipsch speakers f-30 home theatre system
mid surrounds s-10
rear s-3
subwoofer sw-450
vu+duo and 1tb hdd
monster home theatre green power 850
sony vaio pc
triax saorview and 1tb external iomega hdd
and an old fashioned panasonic vcr.
repose e2000 games chair

:confused:what did i forget:eek::)

Nordicbear
02-08-11, 12:36
Pioneer LX5090H PDP
Onkyo TX-SR875
Pioneer DVR-LX60D 250GB
Panasonic DMP-BD60
Pioneer DV-696AV
Toshiba HD-EP35
VU+ DUO 1Tb hdd
Audio Pro Black Diamond V2
Audio Pro Black Vector V2
Audio Pro Image 12

marty
05-08-11, 12:50
Living room

Sony STR-DH800 amp (7.1)
Pinkbull/Mission Speakers (with real decent cable)
Big ass TITAN sub
LG BD-370 BD player
LG 50" plasma
VU+DUO
Cracked XBOX360

Dining room

Horrible Philips 42" plasma
Cracked XBOX360

Bedroom

LG 32" LCD (with a couple of external HDD's as the TV plays back nearly any format)
Spiderbox 7000
Peekton DVD player (HDMI upscaling)

Daytona
12-03-12, 15:14
Bassethound,

Perhaps you can help with my question and apologies if this is in the incorrect location
I have a Yamaha RX-A2010 and as the OSD is excellent I would like to use the amp for total control and playback of mp3 and FLAC files stored on my ET 9200 HDD. I am using VIX 2.3, all devices are on WLAN and I can see my laptop on ET9200 but cannot see the AV.
Is it possible to "mount" the AV on ET and if so could you kindly explain ?

Many thanks

Sandman
12-03-12, 16:23
Bassethound,

Perhaps you can help with my question and apologies if this is in the incorrect location
I have a Yamaha RX-A2010 and as the OSD is excellent I would like to use the amp for total control and playback of mp3 and FLAC files stored on my ET 9200 HDD. I am using VIX 2.3, all devices are on WLAN and I can see my laptop on ET9200 but cannot see the AV.

Many thanks

Can you see your AV from your laptop?

Tyler
12-03-12, 17:30
I have an Onkyo 906 amp 7.1 sound. B&W Mt25 speakers with PV1D sub.
My Car cost less.:thumbsup:

Sandman
12-03-12, 18:17
I have an Onkyo 906 amp 7.1 sound. B&W Mt25 speakers with PV1D sub.
My Car cost less.:thumbsup:

lol...tell me about it! I think my HTPC is worth more than my car....I know what I'd rather spend my money on!!

Maxwell
12-03-12, 18:26
Bassethound,

Many thanks

Its the other way round, you need to configure your amp to see the ET9200 HDD, see p40 and p119 of the amp owners manual for network setup, you can then use the built in media player on the amp to play all your files.

Daytona
12-03-12, 19:12
Can you see your AV from your laptop?
Thanks for your response Sandman.
I am running Windows7 and I do not see the AV using explorer but do see it when I go to "Devices/Printers".
Note that I have good internet connection with the AV using internet radio and I can stream music from the laptop.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Daytona
12-03-12, 19:16
Thanks for your advice Maxwell.
Off back to the manual and I will let you know of the outcome :confused:

Daytona
12-03-12, 19:26
Its the other way round, you need to configure your amp to see the ET9200 HDD, see p40 and p119 of the amp owners manual for network setup, you can then use the built in media player on the amp to play all your files.

Maxwell,
I gues you have the same AV. Everything seems setup OK but when selecting "NET" on the remote, The only options I get is Napster (not available in France), Internet Radio and the laptop.
Where am I going wrong ?

Maxwell
12-03-12, 19:32
Actually I dont have the same AVR but I do the same thing from my Pioneer and am a HC enthusiast, make sure you have on the ET you have uShare, Samba and DLNA running in the network setup

Daytona
12-03-12, 20:40
Actually I dont have the same AVR but I do the same thing from my Pioneer and am a HC enthusiast, make sure you have on the ET you have uShare, Samba and DLNA running in the network setup

Maxwell,
I suspect the problem is uShare as I have enabled the folders and activated Autostart and setup is as follows after reboot:

Autostart: Enabled Current Status: Stopped
uShare Name: Vix
Interface: eth0
uShare Port: 49200
Telnet Port 1337
Shared Folders: /media/HDD, /media/HDD/music
Web Interface: Enabled
Telnet Interface: Enabled
Xbox 360 Support: Enabled
DNLA Support: Enabled

With the above settings, some of which are default I still only get the three options on AV - internet radio, Napster or PC and do not see ET.

Can you offer any ideas svp ?

Thanks

Maxwell
12-03-12, 20:47
when you try to enable ushare and it doesnt start press the blue button for the log and you should see whats going on

Daytona
13-03-12, 17:57
when you try to enable ushare and it doesnt start press the blue button for the log and you should see whats going on

Hi Maxwell,
Thanks for your input, your time and patience.
I have autostart enabled, did several manual starts on green button and checking the log I get the message:
"No shares available....
[A[74G[ok]"

Can you offer any help from this behaviour ?

Thanks

Maxwell
13-03-12, 18:12
select your shares

Menu>setup>system>network>uShare Setup>Red>Green then highlight the HDD, use the OK button to expand the tree and Yellow button to select the shares, once selected press Green to save the selections then the ESC once to get back to the uShare setup screen then press Red to save then ESC once and Green to start the service also select Yellow for Autostart if it not already enabled, if it still fails reboot and see if the service has started automatically

Ev0
13-03-12, 18:15
I've just got an old Denon AVR-1910 with a set of yamaha 5.1 satellite speakers and sub.

Nothing special, but good enough for my needs.

I use the zone 2 on the amp, for the pc speakers.

Daytona
13-03-12, 19:48
select your shares

Menu>setup>system>network>uShare Setup>Red>Green then highlight the HDD, use the OK button to expand the tree and Yellow button to select the shares, once selected press Green to save the selections then the ESC once to get back to the uShare setup screen then press Red to save then ESC once and Green to start the service also select Yellow for Autostart if it not already enabled, if it still fails reboot and see if the service has started automatically

Thanks Maxwell but shares are selected - media/HDD/Music folders with yellow tick. I have even tried selecting two MP3 folders as share but reboot does not induce autostart and manual start on green button generates the same log. One setup I did change on uShare is interface to "WLAN0" as the ET is on WIFI dongle.

Can you suggest anything further to try ?

Thanks

Maxwell
13-03-12, 20:21
try starting it through telnet

open a telnet session and once logged in enter this command

ushare -x -D

If you are wireless you will need it set to WLAN0 in the network settings first

Daytona
13-03-12, 20:47
try starting it through telnet

open a telnet session and once logged in enter this command

ushare -x -D

If you are wireless you will need it set to WLAN0 in the network settings first

Update:
Maxwell I have cracked it !! Deselected Music Folder so on uShare only media/HDD selected as share.
Manual start and uShare now running, Yam sees VIX1 and I can see and stream music = One very happy bunny :)
Maybe others can learn from this when seleting the shared folders.

Again, many many thanks for your inputs and time

PS I have had many many happy years with Pioneer amps but recently upgraded to 3D and needed 1.4 HDMI and the Yam spec was tempting.
Now running the Yam with Oppo BDP and Klipsch speakers and very happy with the setup.

Thanks again

Maxwell
13-03-12, 20:54
Glad you are sorted - I bought a Pioneer SC-LX 85 at xmas and its outstanding, the direction and clarity is just so tight with my MA speakers even the wife noticed how good it is and thats high praise indeed if she notices as she considers Alba to be a good make :D

Full Kit list

Samsung 59PS6900 3D TV - calibrated
Panasonic PT-AX200E Projector + 120" Motorised glass beaded screen - Calibrated
VU+ Duo - Calibrated to TV
Pioneer SC-LX85 - Calibrated after MCACC full setup with SPL meter
Pro-Ject USB DAC
Samsung BD-5500
Monitor Audio RS + RX 7.0 speakers
Q acoustics 1020i as Front height speakers
AE Evo Subwoofer
PS3
Philips Pronto TSU9600
HP N40L Microserver 12TB capacity fitted with a GT430 graphics card and running WHS2011 with Flexraid and XBMC Eden Beta 3 direct HDMI to the AVR

Daytona
20-03-12, 20:21
Hi Maxwell,
Good god what a set-up ! I do believe you are truly an enthusiast :)

If ever I need advice on audio..............................

I did consider the LX55/85 but if I remember well they are rather big units but I am pleased you are happy with the LX-85

Happy listening and kind regards,

gaz4470
04-02-15, 22:39
I have got a Marantz 6008 AV network receiver with a Monitor audio gold GSLCR centre speaker and Dali Zensor 5 fronts and Jamo Graphic surrounds, just need to talk my missis into a sub now
:fart2:

Alec
05-02-15, 22:12
if i ever have to sit through any of those god awful programmes again with standard audio never mind surround sound. i'll eat my shotgun.

I agree, this what a call a waste.

I had my 7.1 setup on THX Cinema and Peaky Blinders was just awesome.

John57
05-02-15, 22:21
Like to add my current system

Amp: Arcam AVR600
BR: Arcam BDP300
Sub Rel
Speakers Kef LS50 (x3) on Atacam Stands
Kef Eggs (x2)
TV Pioneer Kuro 500A

Regards
John

stavo
06-02-15, 06:45
panasonic vt 50, av yamaha 771 , cambridge audio bd -651 , monitor audio bronze surround sound full speaker package , minix neo 8-h , harmony 885 remote

regards
Stavo

stavo
06-02-15, 06:47
panasonic vt 50, av yamaha 771 , cambridge audio bd -651 , monitor audio bronze surround sound full speaker package , minix neo 8-h , harmony 885 remote

regards
Stavo

avalon65
05-12-16, 17:49
I have had this Pioneer VSX 930 AV Amplifier for over a year now, Yamaha YSTFSW050 Sub Woofer, and a pair of Tannoy Mercury Speakers V4i, and the sound is terrific.