PDA

View Full Version : Tuner A/Tuner B

lammy1961
20-03-11, 17:35
Just put the footy on Sky Sports 1 HD, then tried to go to JSC 1 to watch the Italian game (The channels were greyed out and I got the message "No free Tuner")
Strange I thought, then upon closer inspection I realised I was recording on Sky Arts 1, and that it was recording on Tuner A, which is my motorised and not my fixed, Tuner B is the fixed on 28.2 east.........Is there any way of defaulting it to record first from fixed (Tuner B) instead of motorised ?....If I want it to go to JSC 1, I will need to stop the recording....That seems a bit daft.....I know most on here have Tuner A Fixed and Tuner B Motorised........But it shoulden't matter, should it ?

Thanks in advance.

punisher
20-03-11, 17:47
Tuner A is the default tuner for recording as far as i know, so im not sure if it works the other way around. I dont have a motorised setup but im sure someone else who does will be able to tell you if it is possible or not

Stanman
20-03-11, 17:57
IIRC its best to have the motor feed on B, as it records on A first which as in your case means the motor will be stuck on that sat until the recording finishes or you cancel it.

lammy1961
20-03-11, 18:09
Stanman, that is exactly what happened....Is it a full rescan job......Or just a a case of swapping the configuration modes around ?
Or is there a way of defaulting Tuner B to record first ?
What's the easiest ?

Regards.

micscave
20-03-11, 18:46
I've tried having my motor on both tuners and in both instances the box behaves the same. So for instance, if I'm watching say sky sports 1 and have a timer coming up on sky 1, sky sports 1 will be viewed on the fixed dish as this is the default 28.2 deg tuner be it A or B. When the timer kicks in so as not to disturb what you're viewing, the motorised dish and tuner will be the one that records.
Once a tuner is committed to a recording you can't use it to view any other channel unless it's on the same transponder.

So in your case lammy i'm guessing your box was already on a sky channel using the fixed dish and when your recording started on sky arts 1 the motorised kicked in rendering it useless for other sats.

Rob van der Does
20-03-11, 18:52
There is no such thing as a default tuner for recordings. At least not a "default" default.

In Menu --> Settings --> System --> Customize you can set "Preferred tuner" to "Auto", or choose Tuner A or B. If set to "auto" Enigma2 will choose the tuner with the least possibility's (least number of satellites available) for a recording (if possible off course). For a second/third/fourth/fifth recording also this tuner is preferred (but off course the other one will be chosen if the recordings are incompatible).

So if tuner A has a motorized dish and tuner B a fixed one, tuner B will be chosen as default for a recording (provided the satellite is available on that dish).

lammy1961
20-03-11, 19:10
There is no such thing as a default tuner for recordings. At least not a "default" default.

In Menu --> Settings --> System --> Customize you can set "Preferred tuner" to "Auto", or choose Tuner A or B. If set to "auto" Enigma2 will choose the tuner with the least possibility's (least number of satellites available) for a recording (if possible off course). For a second/third/fourth/fifth recording also this tuner is preferred (but off course the other one will be chosen if the recordings are incompatible).

So if tuner A has a motorized dish and tuner B a fixed one, tuner B will be chosen as default for a recording (provided the satellite is available on that dish).

Thanks for the replies....So as you say VUplus NL if I choose Tuner B (My fixed dish) as the "Preferred tuner" this would have allowed me to watch JSC 1, as explained in my first post.....Is this correct ?

Rob van der Does
20-03-11, 19:14
So as you say VUplus NL if I choose Tuner B (My fixed dish) as the "Preferred tuner" this would have allowed me to watch JSC 1, as explained in my first post.....Is this correct ?In fact choosing Tuner B has exactly the same result as setting it to Auto. In both cases Tuner B will be the preferred one.
In fact "Auto" is always the best choice (xmt in a few very special cases, hence the possibility to set it to A or B).

punisher
20-03-11, 19:17
try both settings now lammy on some test programmes and see which one lets you do what you want lammy

micscave
20-03-11, 19:22
If the box is already on a channel with the fixed dish though and a recording comes up on the same sat, the motorised dish will be used for the recording.

lammy1961
20-03-11, 19:26
Done exactly what VUplus NL said, set it to record on Sky Arts on the timer 5 minutes before program was due to start, put it on BBC HD.......Then I got the satellite moving on screen and Tuner A (motorised) went to 28.2 east, rendering the rest of the satellites unusable.

Thanks for the replies.

lammy1961
20-03-11, 19:31
If the box is already on a channel with the fixed dish though and a recording comes up on the same sat, the motorised dish will be used for the recording.

Now this seems interesting, what I'll do now is choose a FTA on 13 east, then set the timer to record on 28.2 east....And see what happens.

Thanks for all the excellent replies.

lammy1961
20-03-11, 19:40
Right done just that, watching Athletic Bilbao v Villarreal on 13 east (JSC 2), I have set the timer to record Road to Perdition at 19:00 on 28.2 east, hopefully it will record on Tuner 2 (fixed dish) leaving Tuner 1 (motorised) to watch whatever I want.

Is that correct ?

micscave
20-03-11, 19:45
If your box is viewing the channel on 13 east then yes the fixed dish will record on 28.2.

lammy1961
20-03-11, 19:51
If your box is viewing the channel on 13 east then yes the fixed dish will record on 28.2.
I only ever record from 28.2 east, so for me it would be best if I left my box on a channel on say 13 east to stop this happening again.

Thanks for all the interesting replies.

Rob van der Does
20-03-11, 19:51
Done exactly what VUplus NL said, set it to record on Sky Arts on the timer 5 minutes before program was due to start, put it on BBC HD.......Then I got the satellite moving on screen and Tuner A (motorised) went to 28.2 east, rendering the rest of the satellites unusable.What you are in fact looking for, is a somewhat more complex combination of LNB's. I use a multifocus dish with 4 twin LNB's and a switch; one (half) LNB is however not connected, but the rotating LNB instead. So I have the best of two worlds: fast switching on the most used satelliets (Astra 1,2 & 3 and 13E) and the rotating dish for incidental use on the other satellites.
Just one fixed LND and oner rotating one will limit you very much.

lammy1961
20-03-11, 20:08

Yes........micscave....It did exactly as you said....So I think I'll just leave it on 13 east tuned into a FTA channel....BBC World News.

Cheers for the help.

What you are in fact looking for, is a somewhat more complex combination of LNB's. I use a multifocus dish with 4 twin LNB's and a switch; one (half) LNB is however not connected, but the rotating LNB instead. So I have the best of two worlds: fast switching on the most used satelliets (Astra 1,2 & 3 and 13E) and the rotating dish for incidental use on the other satellites.
Just one fixed LND and oner rotating one will limit you very much.

VUplus NL........I'm happy with what I have got, but your setup sounds tip top.......Cheers for the replies

micscave
20-03-11, 20:30
Just to add to that, you could leave it on the channel to be recorded and it will use the fixed dish, or left in standby it will also use the fixed dish.