PDA

View Full Version : Vu plus Internal Hard Disk.

sivhead
28-05-10, 15:41
I am thinking of purchasing a "Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM" looks like a good option for £60.

I am trying to keep the noise down on the box as much as possible. Can anyone comment if this is a good option to go for. Or do I need to stay clear of 7200 spin drives as sky boxes are fitted with 5400 spin as standard & by looking on the forum most people have gone for 5400 spin.

If the hard drive is noisy, has anyone had any luck with SSD's. I know I am limited to space but I know I will be annoyed if I keep hearing a constant clicking noise in the background.

I have not brought a hard disk for years so I am not clued up on the best hardware anymore...

your input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Siv.

grtmoby
28-05-10, 15:45
go for the samsung f2 5400 hard drives. it is the most used and reported to work flawlessly. WD is said to cause lots of issues.

if u searched the forum u shall find more info

bob1
28-05-10, 17:17
I have just fitted a samsung f2 5400 drive due to noise from a 7200 caused by a vibrating wooden shelf, its now very quiet and can only hear it when i put my head near the box, got mine from ebuyer for £56.99.

sivhead
28-05-10, 18:04
thats done it for me then Samsung F2 5400 it is then. Thanks. for the prompt response...

wobbler
03-06-10, 21:30
Do you guys worry about hdd heat issues?
I am paranoid about drives overheating on my PCs and have always had extra fans all over the place.
I have just stuck a Samsung HD203WI 2TB 5400 in the Vu+ and have had it recording HD content for a couple of hours with the lid left off. Placing a hand on top it feels quite hot but not so hot that you have to take your hand off.
Obviously there is no way of monitoring the actual temp like you can on the PC, just feels alien to me to put the lid on and just hope it's not cookin' slowly inside
:sweating:

bob1
03-06-10, 22:26
In DE image you can read the hdd temp ,not sure if its accurate or not but the box is only ever luke warm, i can remember my dreambox used to get so hot it was scary but never had any problems with the hdd

sacha35
03-06-10, 22:43
Do you guys worry about hdd heat issues?
I am paranoid about drives overheating on my PCs and have always had extra fans all over the place.
I have just stuck a Samsung HD203WI 2TB 5400 in the Vu+ and have had it recording HD content for a couple of hours with the lid left off. Placing a hand on top it feels quite hot but not so hot that you have to take your hand off.
Obviously there is no way of monitoring the actual temp like you can on the PC, just feels alien to me to put the lid on and just hope it's not cookin' slowly inside
:sweating:

As long as the drive stays below 60c it will be fine,
Think how hot drives get in some parts of the world locked in a very hot PC case with the heat of the CPU's and GPU's heatsink, even though most cases have fans blowing air over the drives, it will still be the same temp as the air it is pulling though the PC case.

hashman
03-06-10, 23:12
i had a 3.5 hd in the box and i felt it heatup too much, so currently i've put a 300gb 2.5" sata drive in it,
smaller, i feel the heat is less globally in the box

i'm thinking of going the solid state way, to get rid of heat completely

butchyboy
03-06-10, 23:43
external HDD maybe,as then there would be no worry of overheating.

i had a 3.5 hd in the box and i felt it heatup too much, so currently i've put a 300gb 2.5" sata drive in it,
smaller, i feel the heat is less globally in the box

i'm thinking of going the solid state way, to get rid of heat completely

canthackit
04-06-10, 09:42
it makes a change for me to be able to say this, about the heat build up in these linux boxes ie DB's and VU+'s

this is the first time i've used a samsung 1Tb 7200 rpm HDD not only this HDD wont intialize with Dream Elite no HDD wiil for me, so did it on the VTI image and then reinstalled DE, works perfect and no heat issues.

regards: canthackit