PDA

View Full Version : Had enough of Virginmedia 50mb service!

Sicilian
19-03-11, 08:17
Theres been a fault in my area since 20th Feb! Some kind of utilization issue. They're saying that it wont be fixed until 25th March! So much for the 50mb service!

Fault code is F001523353.

They given me a £25 credit, but as explained to their call centre, I don't care about the fooking money, I just want the service that I signed up for!

I know one thing for sure, if its not fixed by the 25th, a very unhappy customer will be leaving!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1209083724.png

Rant over! :mad::mad::mad:

punisher
19-03-11, 08:24
This happened in leicester too but went on for nearly 2 months. Hope that aint the case with your area. If it happened to me id b pissed too

Larry-G
19-03-11, 08:25
lol i'd kill for those speeds.

dont have cable where i am, i have a crappy copper network ( BT ) but with AOL UK. supposed to get 8 meg DL but from about 14:00 to 23:00 they cap my speed some thing rotten. as for upload i get 44k regardless of time of day. and lets not get onto the speeds provided by this web n walk dongle i'm using now LOL.

Sicilian
19-03-11, 08:27
This happened in leicester too but went on for nearly 2 months. Hope that aint the case with your area. If it happened to me id b pissed too

To fair I dont often get issues, but an issues happens its always band. This one is the worst since I signed up to the 50mb service. In this day and age i cant believe its takes this long to repair something. If a certain part takes this long to repair why don't they keep spares ready one the shelf? Maybe i'm talking out of my rear end....just very frustrated now.

pooface
19-03-11, 08:42

When this this happen & get fixed then? A colleague of mine on virgin was ranting about his net being up & down all the time. Wonder if this was his prob. He never came back and said was fixed, but virgin never told him there was a prob. The engineer said it must be his comp. But he'd said he reformatted. But can never really trust him :p

Sent from my HTC Desire Z

punisher
19-03-11, 08:49
To fair I dont often get issues, but an issues happens its always band. This one is the worst since I signed up to the 50mb service. In this day and age i cant believe its takes this long to repair something. If a certain part takes this long to repair why don't they keep spares ready one the shelf? Maybe i'm talking out of my rear end....just very frustrated now.

the thing is, the ubr platforms that hold 10/20/30/50mb customer are getting full up, they need to plan how they can utilise the network and make it so that each platform has the right amount of people on it for the right service and wont effect anyone's service, where as at the moment the 10/20/30/50mb are mixed up and probably all over the place. so they need to rethink and resegment those platforms. now god knows officially how long it should take but from experience a month or 2 and even 3 in most cases

When this this happen & get fixed then? A colleague of mine on virgin was ranting about his net being up & down all the time. Wonder if this was his prob. He never came back and said was fixed, but virgin never told him there was a prob. The engineer said it must be his comp. But he'd said he reformatted. But can never really trust him :p

hmm i worked over there a good few months back and the problem was still occuring then, but prior to me being there i think it was already happening for a month or 2, so all in all i guess it was around 2-4 months for most people, im not too sure on exactly how long, but as far as i know, a few people said it was working for them but not sure on the whole

bassethound
19-03-11, 09:54
I thought the move to a docsis 3.0 was supposed to alleviate over subscribed UBR,s ;)

here is a great unofficial forum about Virginmedia :thumbsup:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/:

Ojustaboo
19-03-11, 10:39
VMi are great when it all works, when it goes wrong can be a nightmare.

trouble is, there's no real competition. I'm on the 50Mbit service too and luckily so far it's been fine.

But even if it dropped to 1/2 the speed, it's still faster than anything I can currently get in my area over the BT line.

ps, if anyone ever needs tech support for VM, it's much better to post on their support forums at http://community.virginmedia.com/ than ever consider picking up the phone.

punisher
19-03-11, 13:15
Ubrs are still oversubscribed and plans are there to expand and resegment, i dont think they released potentially a shed load of people would want vm lol its grown so big so fast.

Sic the problem is network related but the eta u have is when think it will b up and running. Never know it could e sooner bt dont hold me to that lol

Sicilian
25-03-11, 19:33
Starting to get really, really pissed off with Virginmedia now! Just phoned them as the issue still hasn't been fixed and been advised of a new estimated date of 27th Arpril :mad: :mad: How the hell can they market 100mb lines if 50mb customers cant even get full speed! :mad: :mad:

punisher
25-03-11, 19:37
damn i hope the same doesnt happen to you as it did in leicester :| otherwise we defo losin another customer lol what did they say the reason was this time? still resegmentation?

Sicilian
07-04-11, 10:50
Still not fixed :mad:

pooface
07-04-11, 12:39
You not having much luck with internet are you?! Lol

punisher
07-04-11, 13:05
damn i dunno what to tell ya mate, thats a pain in the ass and it would peee me right off. only thing i would do it get the whole dam thing for free for aslong as u can even though it wont compensate for shoddy internet

emporer
15-04-11, 16:25
My 50mb was a wee bit up and down a few nights back, had it since launch and generally its been spot on, was really nice to go from being capped every day by them to no caps at all, apparantly they are traffic managing the 50mb lines now but ive not seen it, although most of my up and downs are to usenet and I just ssl 443 for the main and its kept me full whack all the time. I'd love to go to the 100mb but their 'superhub' thing is awful, I mean really bad!

punisher
15-04-11, 18:20
its not actually that bad, yeh the netgear firmware for virginmedia is pants and limited, but it gives you the full speed hardwired and wireless. the settings on the router need changing completely to allow this to happen which most people arent aware of, but once changed they tend to fix issues with connectivity and intermittent connection and speed issues. I will have to change to it once the damn 100mb comes but by then hopefully the firmware issues would have been sorted

SLOTH
15-04-11, 18:44
wow ...i wish i knew what you guys were talking about ....a surely you all missed a decimal point out when quoteing speeds ? ... back to my aledged 8mb !!! LOL

Sicilian
15-04-11, 19:24
Just done a speed test, now upto 30mb download. Gonna give them a call tomorrow to try and find out a bit more.

Larry-G
15-04-11, 19:41
Just done a speed test, now upto 30mb download. Gonna give them a call tomorrow to try and find out a bit more.

i would kill for those speeds,

no i mean it who do you want me to kill for those speeds.lol

emporer
15-04-11, 19:46
For me the Virgin superhub is the only reason not to go 100mb, for me only unless I can use it bridged otherwise i'll be steering clear, any router on my setup has to run tomato, THE best router f/w bar none.

punisher
15-04-11, 19:57
the superhub will be coming with a "modem only" option so you can use your own router and just have the superhub as a modem. most people do that now already by just disabling all wireless functionality and using it as a modem, but there will be an option soon that will make it completely modem only

silverfox0786
15-04-11, 23:23
i would kill for those speeds,

no i mean it who do you want me to kill for those speeds.lol

i can name one and its not the highlands either

just a little further east wards lol

buz
17-04-11, 09:21
the superhub will be coming with a "modem only" option so you can use your own router and just have the superhub as a modem. most people do that now already by just disabling all wireless functionality and using it as a modem, but there will be an option soon that will make it completely modem only

100mb is now avail in my area. Does the hub work ok with the duo via homeplugs without restricting the boxes functionality. Also is it really worth all that speed vs my current 20mb.

punisher
17-04-11, 11:49
Superhub works with anything. Just needs configuring from the default firmware as a few buga but there are workarounds. I dont see why they would not work with homeplugs as 50mg users ive seen use homeplugs with sucess. 100mg only really for gamers, heavy downloaders and streamers although for most 20mg more than sufficient enough. U can upgrade to 30mg for free withjust a one off charge of £30 for the huband have it sent to you through thenpost ifyou dont fancy 50 or 100

Sicilian
05-08-11, 05:35
Just an update. Its took Virginmedia approx four months to fix the utilization issue in my area, so that gor fixed around a month ago. Now for the last few weeks my connection has been dropping and I've had to keep re-booting router etc...So yesterday went out and bought a new belkin router which never cured anything. Tbh I thought it could be my connection. Anyway phoned them up and theres a hardware issue with the server node I'm connected too!!!!!!! For fooksake cant I have uninterrupted service for a few months!!!!! THe main thing that has really pissed me off is they're saying it wont be fixed for another fooking week, damn connection is unusable in the evenin!!!! I'm totally sick of this service :mad: :mad: :mad:

jjp2701
05-08-11, 08:53
i know what you mean sic, my virgin connection, they always say the servers are overloaded and always working on it, shocking company they are

silverfox0786
05-08-11, 13:43
considering how pants virgin is i would pay the extra and get bt affinity

bassethound
05-08-11, 13:50
when i used to be in a vermin area the 50mb was rock-solid

now i live in a non vermin cabled street im stuck on o2 20mb till bt affinity arrives in my town next April if they stick to there time table :p

silverfox0786
05-08-11, 13:51
when i used to be in a vermin area the 50mb was rock-solid

now i live in a non vermin cabled street im stuck on o2 20mb till bt affinity arrives in my town next April if they stick to there time table :p

oh whats that website where u can check fibre optics timetables i keep forgetting

bassethound
05-08-11, 14:01
oh whats that website where u can check fibre optics timetables i keep forgetting

Here is the best site silver m8 samknows you will need the uk broadband availability link and the exchange search :D

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php

silverfox0786
05-08-11, 14:03
Here is the best site silver m8 samknows you will need the uk broadband availability link and the exchange search :D

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php

thanks mate thats the one i was asking for

SAMKNOWS

punisher
05-08-11, 15:24
im registered on the samknows for 3 modems, and all of them are topping off at 51, 50 and 30 on average without very little problems. fingers crossed it stays this way as we had problems with utilization too but as this is a small area the job wasnt too big