PDA

View Full Version : TomTom brings HD Traffic to millions more drivers via online live traffic map

bassethound
16-03-11, 20:27
London, 16 March 2011 - TomTom, the world's leading provider of location and navigation products and services, today launches a live traffic map giving online access to the best traffic information available. Powered by TomTom HD Traffic, the new live traffic map enables anyone online to view the up-to-the-minute traffic situation in their local area. Available now in 18 countries, the live traffic map can be viewed at
http://www.tomtom.com/livetraffic

"You won't find a more accurate or reliable source of live traffic information anywhere", says Ralf-Peter Schäfer, Traffic Director TomTom. "The live traffic map is the perfect starting point for anyone planning a journey or who needs the most up-to-date view of the traffic on the road. By giving more drivers access to TomTom HD Traffic, we hope that we can start to make better use of the road network and start to reduce traffic congestion for everyone."

As part of its Traffic Manifesto, TomTom has committed to make HD Traffic information available to as many people as possible. Updated every two minutes and covering primary and secondary roads, only HD Traffic gives drivers the true picture of the traffic network. HD Traffic's coverage is unmatched too, reaching beyond the primary and secondary roads, even down to city streets.

The live traffic map has been designed for easy, fast viewing. Clusters of traffic incidents are represented by a single icon, so users can see at a glance the number and severity of problems in a particular area. A detailed incident report list shows the length, delay and cause of a jam, so they can decide whether to plan an alternative route.

punisher
16-03-11, 20:55
Wow thas pretty neat. I use tomtom on my iphone and its so dam handy having the traffic updates. Will definately be checking this out

vu-duo-user
16-03-11, 21:21
I have a TT XL Live IQ which has HD traffic and use it every day as a courier, The HD traffic is 99% correct with only a few false positives. The online HD traffic has been running for a long time and is useful if you don't have HD traffic on your device only at the time of planning because traffic is dynamic. So buy a TT with HD traffic and save on journey time.

Stanman
16-03-11, 21:37
Us Northerner like to save money, use navigation on android and use HD traffic that way?

Larry-G
16-03-11, 21:38
whats wrong with a map and a compass like ?

vu-duo-user
16-03-11, 21:49
Us Northerner like to save money, use navigation on android and use HD traffic that way?

You may have an android phone but you can't have TT navigator or TT HD traffic on it because they don't support it.

vu-duo-user
16-03-11, 22:00
whats wrong with a map and a compass like ?

Nothing apart from a professional point of view, a Sat Nav with HD traffic makes the job of getting to point b from point a in the shortest time with the latest TT IQ 865.???? maps. With paper maps they are out of date the day they are printed and don't offer that level of street coverage that a sat nav with postcodes do. I have a collection of out of date maps when I started out couriering that cost a lot of money covering the whole of the country that are now only good for the paper recycling. Also you don't have to take your eyes of the road to read unlike a paper map.

Larry-G
16-03-11, 22:13
Nothing apart from a professional point of view, a Sat Nav with HD traffic makes the job of getting to point b from point a in the shortest time with the latest TT IQ 865.???? maps. With paper maps they are out of date the day they are printed and don't offer that level of street coverage that a sat nav with postcodes do. I have a collection of out of date maps when I started out couriering that cost a lot of money covering the whole of the country that are now only good for the paper recycling. Also you don't have to take your eyes of the road to read unlike a paper map.

LOL just joshing with yah mate. i do use a dedicated tomtom when driving but i spend a huge amount of time in the open country side and in those situations a paper map is absolutely invaluable. plus i like to keep my navigational skills sharp as i also do a fair bit of hunting in the remote areas of the Canadian forest

vu-duo-user
16-03-11, 22:23
LOL just joshing with yah mate. i do use a dedicated tomtom when driving but i spend a huge amount of time in the open country side and in those situations a paper map is absolutely invaluable. plus i like to keep my navigational skills sharp as i also do a fair bit of hunting in the remote areas of the Canadian forest

I just thought you were a Luddite ( burn those machines ). :D :D :D

PS Sat navs just make my job that much easier.

Stanman
18-03-11, 10:56
You may have an android phone but you can't have TT navigator or TT HD traffic on it because they don't support it.

My point was to use the website for up to date info

vu-duo-user
18-03-11, 21:35
My point was to use the website for up to date info

That only works at the time of planning. Thats why you need a dynamic sat nav TT HD traffic, as pointed out in the above post. Saving a few pence and being stuck in traffic is a no brainer for me.