PDA

View Full Version : How to install a fan ET9000 PDF

bassethound
15-03-11, 01:18
How to install a fan for Clarke-Tech ET9000

Alias1
21-03-11, 08:36
What is the model number of the connector for the fan to plug into the M/B??

silverfox0786
21-03-11, 10:03
bassethound i love u mate

been searching for this info ever since i got the box

Alias1
22-03-11, 00:33
Got the fan just need the right connector now :)

docker
26-05-11, 10:34
There are questions:
1. When ET9000 is in standby mode, does it shutdown fan?
2. What can be controlled by fan plugin (speed, modes, etc.)?
3. Is it possible to control speed of fan depending on temperature inside box?

Thanks.

ps: If your answer is for CT ET9000, then are these answers valid for Xtrend ET9000?

CoolST
26-05-11, 11:18
1- i dont remember , but i think yes .
2- it's only ON and OFF .
3- atm No , but maby with other new plugin .

Regards .

Sicilian
26-05-11, 11:33
Remember the ET9000 does not come with a fan as standard, imo its not needed unless you've got no airflow round it.

docker
26-05-11, 12:24
Which maximum temperature can be in a room? Manual page for CT ET9000 says something about +45C, but since I do not know German I cannot completely understand this value. The manual page from Xtrend ET9000 does not say anything about maximum allowed temperature in a room. I expect something like +38C (yes, this is the right value) in my apartment. What was the maximum temperature in a room when you use your ET9000? Thanks everyone for answers.

Sicilian
26-05-11, 12:27
Which maximum temperature can be in a room? Manual page for CT ET9000 says something about +45C, but since I do not know German I cannot completely understand this value. The manual page from Xtrend ET9000 does not say anything about maximum allowed temperature in a room. I expect something like +38C in my apartment. What was the maximum temperature in a room when you use your ET9000? Thanks everyone for answers.

38C! It dont even get that warm here outside, let alone inside :roflmao:

silverfox0786
26-05-11, 13:45
38C! It dont even get that warm here outside, let alone inside :roflmao:

i have to agree a fan is not needed unless u have no air flow

i had heat issues due to box being in a keyboard tray on a pc desk and it over heated but since moving ti downstairs on a normal tv shelf its fine no heat at all

CoolST
26-05-11, 14:10
in my case temperature in my room is 20º to 25º C . Portugal wether .

38ºC is to much :confused:

canthackit
05-06-11, 07:10
think i need a fan then.
my new 9000 is scorching inside an equipment cabinet, first i had it on top of a Duo when i first put my hand on it i thought i'd put my hand on the cooker hob by mistake :eek: so it's now sitting on a shelf by it's self but still gets way way to hot, and that's with the cabinet door open.

not had temperatures like this since my DB800 i use to have yo sit a lagre pc fan on top of it 24/7 :rolleyes:

regards: canthackit

snoopdig
11-06-11, 09:39
I have a ET-9000 with hard drive installed and a fan.

It is still running very warm, especially over on the right hand side away from the fan.

I also have a VU+ and noticed how much higher the feet were compared to the ET-9000. The ET-9000 base is very close to the ground and must hinder the air flow quite a lot.

I have put another set of rubber stick on feet about 5mm on top of the ones fitted to ET-9000, this brings it close to the clearance under the VU.

This seems to have helped with airflow and reduced the temperature of box.

bassethound
11-06-11, 13:18
Never had a problem with heat with my et9000 its on a open glass tv stand with plenty of ventilation and no fan fitted

the duo as only ever gets barely warm to the touch the solo gets slightly warmer

my old tm800 used to get so hot it used to trip out with the heat i had to get one one of those laptop coolers to keep the temp down as mine never came from the factory with a fan

BadBoy
11-06-11, 23:16
Where are people getting these fans?

punisher
11-06-11, 23:38
Im sure the sponsor sells em

Stanman
12-06-11, 07:38
Not for the ET9 but there pretty much the same as any one who has built a PC will testify to

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Vu-Duo-Genuine-Replacement-5cm-Fan?keyword=fan&category_id=0

BadBoy
12-06-11, 15:14
Cool will get one locally to me then

snoopdig
12-06-11, 17:01
Problem is most PC fans are 12V and the ET-9000 requires a 5V fan.

The fan needs to be 10mm thick as well.

60mm X 60mm X 10mm and 5V is quite difficult to get.

canthackit
17-06-11, 17:43
yep i concur with that, having real trouble finding one, not to worried about the dimensions it's the 5 volt that is the problem.

got an old 80x80x20 here with the connector missing but apart from that it's 12 volt, don't wanna bugger things up by putting in the wrong components.

pooface
17-06-11, 17:58
This one should work?!

http://www.amazon.com/Evercool-60x60X10mm-Ball-Bearing-EC6010M05CA/dp/B000XTFYSQ

Works out about £10 with shipping from USA... Took about 5 mins or so to find...

Stanman
17-06-11, 18:32
even cheaper on fleabay but not the reassurance of buying from a big retailer like Amazon.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brushless-DC-Fan-11-Blade-5V-12V-24V-60mm-x60mmx10mm-/170504968804

Braggster
17-06-11, 20:58
Ok guys my misses works in a cable and wiring room and can supply a piece of cable say 3" long with correct connector and a terminal block attached, all you have to do then, is connect fan, bought from above to terminal block and ur up n runnin happy days..

BadBoy
17-06-11, 22:57
I bought this instead, just placed it under my box and it has already cooled it right down.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150482708966&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

drs101
18-06-11, 15:12
I bought this instead, just placed it under my box and it has already cooled it right down.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150482708966&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

How do you install that?

BadBoy
18-06-11, 15:38
How do you install that?

Just place it under the box and plug into a sapre usb port. it stays on all the time and is VERY quiet, it does light up blow so gives a nice glow under the box.

snoopdig
18-06-11, 19:07
even cheaper on fleabay but not the reassurance of buying from a big retailer like Amazon.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brushless-DC-Fan-11-Blade-5V-12V-24V-60mm-x60mmx10mm-/170504968804

I have bought from the above seller.
Fan was good, took several days to get it as it comes from China.
Connector will also fit on with a bit of a push and slightly bending.

What I meant by difficult to find was that there is no UK sellers selling a fan like this.

Stanman
18-06-11, 19:12
My mistake, didn't see he was based in Hong Kong:eek::o
Blame my settings as I only look for UK sellers:D:D

Braggster
02-07-11, 13:48
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brushless-DC-Fan-11-Blade-5V-12V-24V-60mm-x60mmx10mm-/170504968804[/QUOTE]

Hi guys i bought this one and it came within 3 working days, fitted to 9000 took about 10 mins to do as i had to remove the Harddrive downloaded fan plugin, from plug in menu, and activated it to fan on, all up n running so for £2.00 well worth it for piece of mind..

bassethound
02-07-11, 15:02
Did you order the 5v one?

Braggster
02-07-11, 16:33
Did you order the 5v one?
Yess m8 you tell him which fan you require on check out
Hope this helps..

bassethound
02-07-11, 16:50
thanks for that m8 going to order a couple at this price :D

Braggster
02-07-11, 18:16
thanks for that m8 going to order a couple at this price :D

no probs m8 if you need the correct plug puttin on fan cable i can sort it for ya, they have one fitted but not the exact same plug, as someone mentioned earlier they do go on with a bit of a struggle

Stanman
02-07-11, 18:56
Just ordered ine as well.

canthackit
06-07-11, 14:28
odered 2 three day's ago.

how long do they take to arrrive?

Stanman
06-07-11, 20:33
Coming from Hong Kong so up to a week I would say.

canthackit
08-07-11, 09:41
ok thanks stan

Braggster
08-07-11, 09:49
odered 2 three day's ago.

how long do they take to arrrive?

Mine took 3 working days to arrive..Hope this helps..

canthackit
09-07-11, 10:56
Hmmmm
ordered mine last sunday still not here.

Larry-G
09-07-11, 11:00
if you ordered them from hong kong they could take any where upto 3 weeks.

Stanman
09-07-11, 11:53
I would not worry unduly CHI, I ordered last week and its still not here, it has been despatched as I got a mail but at that price its not going to be anything fast.

canthackit
15-07-11, 15:27
ok recieved them 2 day's ago, the guy is genuine enough.

now the problem and sadly much as i thought where the fan is sited under the HDD bay (no HDD fitted internally) i feared that it would not cool the reciever as the heat is being generated form the rear of the device ie the tuner and cpu so even with the fan running 24/7 it made absolutely no difference.

so i'm back to using the 7 inch mains powered fan blowing across the back of the unit noisy but cool :cool::D

the search for the ideal answer goes on.

Stanman
15-07-11, 17:54
ok recieved them 2 day's ago, the guy is genuine enough.

now the problem and sadly much as i thought where the fan is sited under the HDD bay (no HDD fitted internally) i feared that it would not cool the reciever as the heat is being generated form the rear of the device ie the tuner and cpu so even with the fan running 24/7 it made absolutely no difference.

so i'm back to using the 7 inch mains powered fan blowing across the back of the unit noisy but cool :cool::D

the search for the ideal answer goes on.

recd mine on Monday but not fitted, is the fitted connector OK or is it too small, as saw some one mention changing it?

canthackit
16-07-11, 11:52
no mate no problem, just make sure the connector is the right way round, red wire to the right looking from the front.

Stanman
16-07-11, 12:02
no mate no problem, just make sure the connector is the right way round, red wire to the right looking from the front.

I reckon I can manage that;):D

canthackit
16-07-11, 14:05
LOL

yeah sorry mate, i wasn't trying to be pedantic honest:D

i said that 'cos i tried it round the other way first :rolleyes:

Stanman
16-07-11, 18:58
The connector was a pain to get it, thought about cutting the wires as the other way it fitted properly.

All done and fans whirling away, think it will drive me bonkers if it doesnt shut down in standby

canthackit
17-07-11, 10:30
does not the auto setting in the plugin menu not do this?

i leave mine running 24/7 no noise, are you sure it's mounted properly ie don't force it to much into the 4 little lugs, only by orginaly doing that it made mine run noisy, i've now got it just resting inside of them and it runs silent.

Stanman
17-07-11, 10:34
does not the auto setting in the plugin menu not do this?

i leave mine running 24/7 no noise, are you sure it's mounted properly ie don't force it to much into the 4 little lugs, only by orginaly doing that it made mine run noisy, i've now got it just resting inside of them and it runs silent.

Its inside the four strips and thats all holding it in place. As far as I could see there was no settings in plugin apart from turning it on, but will check it out - downloaded the plugin fromthe feed.

To be honest its a lot quiter and could not hear it at night when I switched the box off - its in the bedroom

canthackit
17-07-11, 13:28
stan

in the plugin menu there's the scrollable options for fan> on/off/auto.

if it is running noisy just try as i suggested above and realease it from the lugs slightly.

Stanman
17-07-11, 19:14
Will do mate

halflife
06-08-11, 15:16
here is my solution for cooling et9000. I was take some fan from old graphic card, fix it on cooler top with some glue. only problem is this fan is 12v, so it's not rotating so fast. wait for a 60x60x10 5v from ebay....

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/9581/p1070662n.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/221/p1070662n.jpg/)

Hontch
13-09-11, 09:40
Hey, which way have you guys mounted your under HDD fans, got me one of those el cheapo chinese 60x10s which is pretty useless. I mounted it blowing out, and although the top of the box was much cooler, the bottom and the HDD got very hot, but then generally the correct way to mount the fan would be with the natural convection not against it, ie as heat rises the fan should move air upward, so I took it all apart again and reversed the fan so it was blowing up, this way the box still get pretty warm on top, in fact I'm not sure I could say it has made any difference. The conclusion is, this is not an ideal solution, as the space above and below the fan is limited, and will restrict airflow. The box certainly gets too hot for my liking, I think I am gonna have to look for a more powerful fan, will probably be 12v as there is more choise, so I will build a small controller (a transistor and a couple of resistors) to switch 12v to the fan using the 5v fan output. Also would have the option of running the fan on reduced power when in standby fairly easily then. Will let you know how I get on!

Stanman
13-09-11, 20:23
I can really see the fan making much difference to the "heating" as the heat is generated by the PSU and the fan is away from there. MY HDD tends to be quite cool.

Hontch
13-09-11, 21:46
Seems like the mobo side of the box is hotter to me. Anyways Im not interested in directly keeping the PSU cool, Im interested in keeping the air temp down in the box, and any sort of airflow through the box is gonna help that.

Stanman
13-09-11, 21:49
The overwhelming amount of heat is generated by the PSU and thats where the cooling needs to be not under the HDD.

Hontch
13-09-11, 22:26
I disagree, although 1 of the heatsinks on the PSU does get too hot to touch, it is small, probably less than 1/4 the size of the CPU heatsink which also gets too hot to touch.

If you wanted to directly cool those individual components then yes a fan blowing on each heatsink would be required, but that doesnt help the box air temperature, for that you need an exhaust/intake fan and the location is not critical.

On a side note I have just metered the fan connection and it is only 3.2v not 5v which dont help either.

silverfox0786
13-09-11, 22:29
On a side note I have just metered the fan connection and it is only 3.2v not 5v which dont help either.

the fan is rated 5V and i have a 5V fan fitted in mine and it works just fine no issues

Hontch
13-09-11, 22:37
Yeah mine goes round too, I have metered it and it is running on 3.2v not the 5v the fan is rated at, this means the fan is not running on full power.

Do I have a faulty box or is yours running on 3.2v also?

silverfox0786
13-09-11, 22:39
i dunno you wanna send me a AVO meter and i will check it ;)

Hontch
13-09-11, 22:54
Hehe, havent seen one of those for a long while :eek:

Sicilian
14-09-11, 05:08
I personaly think the solution in post 52 looks the best for air circulation, but then again I dont bother with a fan. Mines on a glass shelf with plenty of air flow. At the end of the day the receivers have warranty ;)

Hontch
14-09-11, 07:37
It would be good for circulation, but it still isnt bringing any cooler air into the box. I guess ideally you'd want a circulating fan and an intake fan, but then that seems a little OTT for a box that is supposed to be fine with passive cooling.

I want my box to outlive the warranty, it was pretty expensive :[

Sicilian
14-09-11, 07:43
It would be good for circulation, but it still isnt bringing any cooler air into the box. I guess ideally you'd want a circulating fan and an intake fan, but then that seems a little OTT for a box that is supposed to be fine with passive cooling.

You've lost me there, if the fan is wired to push air out or in, off course cooler air is going to enter the receiver and circulate :confused:

Imo the ET9000 gets warm, not excessively hot. I've actually tested HD receivers from a respected UK brand that you can not leave your hand on top. All HD receivers get warm. My Duo has had the fan disconnected from day1, that's probably over 18months and its still going strong.

Hontch
18-09-11, 22:31
I have decided mounting the fan under the HDD is never going to work, because there is not enough space underneath to draw air in. I bought a fast fan and if you hold it 6mm(as there is underneath the box) away from a table it does next to nothing, probably why there isnt one there.

Mounting the fan in front of the scart socket(with a cable tie and sticky pad) blowing upward(exhaust) through the vents in the lid is working very well however. The 2 heatsinks that were too hot too touch before are now both much much cooler and the top of the box stays very cool. The fan is an Evercool EC6010HH12CA(ebay) it is quite noisey on 12v, but running on the "5v" output from the motherboard it is virtually silent and moves more air than the cheapo 5v one from china. It also plugs straight into the motherboard if you reverse the red and black wires.

Clavas
21-09-11, 20:20
I have decided mounting the fan under the HDD is never going to work, because there is not enough space underneath to draw air in. I bought a fast fan and if you hold it 6mm(as there is underneath the box) away from a table it does next to nothing, probably why there isnt one there.

Mounting the fan in front of the scart socket(with a cable tie and sticky pad) blowing upward(exhaust) through the vents in the lid is working very well however. The 2 heatsinks that were too hot too touch before are now both much much cooler and the top of the box stays very cool. The fan is an Evercool EC6010HH12CA(ebay) it is quite noisey on 12v, but running on the "5v" output from the motherboard it is virtually silent and moves more air than the cheapo 5v one from china. It also plugs straight into the motherboard if you reverse the red and black wires.

Tried this with the exact same fan, reversed the black and red wires but nothing from the fan :(

What could be causing the non rotation? Should the fan continually rotate with the fan plugin set to on?

How do I test if it is a dud fan?

Alias1
21-09-11, 21:05
Just buy ine of those cheap laptop stands you can buy for 8 bucks from China that uses a USB port for power and sit it on that job done :)

Clavas
22-09-11, 16:36
Well it is definitely not the fan as that is working fine.

I connected it to a 9v battery and it spins like a good 'un.

Do I need to enable anything (other than the fan plugin set to ON) on the XT-9000? :confused:

silverfox0786
22-09-11, 16:43

Do I need to enable anything (other than the fan plugin set to ON) on the XT-9000? :confused:

When u say 9v that worries me the et9k takes a 5volt fan

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Hontch
22-09-11, 18:00
When u say 9v that worries me the et9k takes a 5volt fan

The fan is 12v, but mine is working well on the 5v output.

Hontch
22-09-11, 18:02

I dont think so :[

I guess you rebooted the box, probably not that you need to :s

silverfox0786
22-09-11, 18:17
I would use the recommended 5 volt fan for them

Cause if anything happens yr warranty will be dud

Hontch
22-09-11, 18:53
Using a 12v fan is fine as long as it doesnt draw too much current(it will draw a lot less than the rated current on 5v), and how would anyone know you used a 12v fan(other than reading wos)?

silverfox0786
22-09-11, 19:23
Where did you buy the box from honch

Hontch
22-09-11, 19:32
********** :[

Hadn't found this site then, else I'd have bought it from here.

Hontch
22-09-11, 19:34
Very thin slices of a yellow precious metal :]

silverfox0786
22-09-11, 20:31
Very thin slices of a yellow precious metal :]

You would be surprised who visits this forum so I would be real careful about what u say that will incriminate yr warranty

And I wouldn't be surprised if yr retailer has already read this thread and yr posts

Hontch
22-09-11, 22:00
Where does it say using a fan "labelled" 12v will void your warranty but using a fan "labelled" 5v is fine?

How much current does your fan "labelled" 5v draw, are you sure the fan drive circuitry can supply this current without damage?

Think of this you have a 5v battery(yes you cant get one) with a 1 amp fuse, you connect a 5v 2a light bulb, the fuse blows, you replace the fuse and connect a 12v 2a bulb it glows dimly and draws around 0.8a and obviously the fuse doesnt blow.

Clavas
23-09-11, 10:55
Well I've given up on the 12V and ordered a 5V fan.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=MF67766

This one is one of the few I could find (in UK) so my warranty will be fine :D

silverfox0786
23-09-11, 18:40
Well I've given up on the 12V and ordered a 5V fan.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=MF67766

This one is one of the few I could find (in UK) so my warranty will be fine :D

please code yr links next time

you need the fan to be 60mmx60mmx10mm for it to fit in the premade fan section of ET9K

Hontch
23-09-11, 19:19
you need the fan to be 60mmx60mmx10mm for it to fit in the premade fan section of ET9K

Why would he want to put it there, it does next to nothing there, thats why the manufacturers didnt include it.

silverfox0786
23-09-11, 19:26
Why would he want to put it there, it does next to nothing there, thats why the manufacturers didnt include it.

you'd be surprised

dont knock it till you try it

bassethound
23-09-11, 19:50
my et9k runs a lot cooler now i have switched to a 2.5" sata HDD :D

Hontch
23-09-11, 19:50
I have tried it, mounting the fan under HDD as exhaust makes the bottom of the box and the HDD red hot, and mounting it as an intake fan(the way it needs to be mounted) under HDD the top of the box gets just as hot as with no fan, because the aperture is far too small.

Obviously you have you fan exhausting hot air downward(hot air rises) it is keeping the top of you box cool and you're happy, thats fine but common sense tells you it isnt actually helping...

Clavas
25-09-11, 19:51
Well my 5V fan arrived and I have put it (stuck to the scart output) as suggested by Hontch.

Works a treat. I can now touch the rear top of the box without my hand sustaining 90% burns :thumbsup:

Reasonably silent as well so a win-win.

Hontch
25-09-11, 20:47
Thats great, I am a bit mythed as to why the 12v did not work, since it is the same as mine and your fan output is obviously working :s

silverfox0786
25-09-11, 20:50
Thats great, I am a bit mythed as to why the 12v did not work, since it is the same as mine and your fan output is obviously working :s

its pretty obvious you need to use the recommended 5volts fan not 12v

Hontch
25-09-11, 21:51
What is obvious is fact that you have very limited electrotechnical knowledge, so who are you to recommend anything?

Besides which the ET9000 fan output is ~3.2v, as measured by a professional, and since you cannot say there is something wrong with my box, common sense tells you the recommend fan voltage is 3.3v.

All of which is completely irrelevant because if a 12v fan is working fine at the reduced voltage and is not overloading the fan drive circuitry, then there is no harm.

Since you or possibly anyone does not know the current drive capability of the ET9000 you cannot recommend any fan of any voltage, because if a 12v fan runs on 3.3v then thats fine, however if you run any fan in an ET9000 that draws too much CURRENT it will damage the fan drive circuit.

As I have already explained running any fan on 3.3v will draw less current than running it on 12v, you are making yourself look a little silly.

andyblac
25-09-11, 22:06
Well my 5V fan arrived and I have put it (stuck to the scart output) as suggested by Hontch.

Works a treat. I can now touch the rear top of the box without my hand sustaining 90% burns :thumbsup:

Reasonably silent as well so a win-win.

can you post what make and model fan you used as it may help others in this thread.

cheers

Andy.

jcm193
25-09-11, 22:19
Iam using a cheap usb laptop fan bought of ebay,ive placed it ontop of the et 9000 and its blowing cool air directly into the reciever

-http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Cooler-Cooling-Pad-2-Fans-Laptop-Notebook-PC-UK-/280522683013?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL&hash=item4150747285

basilyoung
25-09-11, 22:46
What is obvious is fact that you have very limited electrotechnical knowledge, so who are you to recommend anything?

Besides which the ET9000 fan output is ~3.2v, as measured by a professional, and since you cannot say there is something wrong with my box, common sense tells you the recommend fan voltage is 3.3v.

All of which is completely irrelevant because if a 12v fan is working fine at the reduced voltage and is not overloading the fan drive circuitry, then there is no harm.

Since you or possibly anyone does not know the current drive capability of the ET9000 you cannot recommend any fan of any voltage, because if a 12v fan runs on 3.3v then thats fine, however if you run any fan in an ET9000 that draws too much CURRENT it will damage the fan drive circuit.

As I have already explained running any fan on 3.3v will draw less current than running it on 12v, you are making yourself look a little silly.

With respect, your tech knowledge seems quite good ( probrably very good ) but please try to keep your other comments a little less personal, as they could be taken as offensive comments, ( not having a pop at you ) but thanks for your input, and hope that once the ideal solution is found, you post your results,

many thanks
baz

Hontch
25-09-11, 23:53
I perhaps have not found the ideal solution but I believe I have found something that works well and have posted my findings only to help others.

I agree matching arrogant comments does not help, and I apologise.

basilyoung
25-09-11, 23:57
Thank you,

both for your comment, and assisting, in the end we hope to keep this forum proactive and freindly

baz

halflife
26-09-11, 08:13
yeserday I was make some measurement and can confirm about 3.2V on fan circut. I do it, cause I see that my fan (60x60x10 5v) turn quite slow, and cooling effect was bad. now I'm connect fan on hdd power supply on stabile 5v, fan turns much faster, but make much noise too. ofcourse, there is no control for fan now. I was looking 3v fan on ebay, but didn't find anything useless

silverfox0786
26-09-11, 09:42
No one is disputing the fact that the output is 3.3v or so an no one is disputing the fact that u can or can't use 12v

The point of this thread was to show what is recommended for optimal performance

ET must have added a safety feature by undercutting the voltage output

But clearly the PDF in post one shows a 5v fan as recommend

and I'm sure there is a good reason why that particular rating size and model has been used

What is now being pointed out is that don't expect things to work in the recommend manner if non recommended items are being used

And certainly not undermine or insult any one that is pointing this out. Especially when the other other person doesn't know the expertise of the person he has had a dig at

Now I have heard putting in leaded petrol in an unleaded car will work but won't give you performance or may even screw your engine. Yeah it works. but would you do it?

Hontch
26-09-11, 09:43
You could always use an optotransistor(a 4n35 possibly) to switch the 5v to the fan, I think you would only need the 4n35 and 1 resistor to limit the led drive current.

Hontch
26-09-11, 10:02
I do not know who wrote that pdf nor do I wish to know, no disrespect to the author, but I do not know him from Adam so why should I take his advice.

Clearly the box manufacturer has recommend not using a fan at all, since there is not one installed, and that almost certainly is not to keep the cost down.

So the options are, trust the manufacturer, trust a someone you do not know, or make your own educated decisions. Obviously I like others have chosen the latter option and you should respect that, please do.

silverfox0786
26-09-11, 10:18
The fact there is not only a space left for a fan but also a power connector for one clearly shows that a fan is an OPTIONAL extra. That is put there by ET

And hence I don't wanna go down this road with you as I see your a over bloated big head who thinks you know better than everyone. So I shall let you carry on thinking that

But if truth be told your attitude on here reflects more towards how your maturity just hasn't flourished much in life

Hontch
26-09-11, 10:40
And all that needs to be said to that is a great big LOL?

All I have done is posted my fan installation findings, in order to help others, which has been met mostly by arrogant posts from yourself.

The main finding is that the fan, without a shadow of a doubt works much much better where I have installed it, and the effectiveness of mounting it in the "recommended" position is at best questionable.

So until such a time you have something constructive to post, why bother?

Hontch
26-09-11, 11:02
You could always use an optotransistor(a 4n35 possibly) to switch the 5v to the fan, I think you would only need the 4n35 and 1 resistor to limit the led drive current.

A possible fan control circuit, the resistor value is a guess as it will depend on the optocoupler used.

silverfox0786
26-09-11, 11:11
I don't Care about your findings or how u mounted yours what my initial point is to point to potential users that yr way is not a recommended method and perform at yr own risk

The fact that you have come across someone that isn't for your method has got yr knickers in knot.

And it's my duty to show people the recommended way not the patchup way regardless of weather the patchup way works or not

Hontch
26-09-11, 11:45
You're such an arrogant knob, and even tho you think your warranty is still valid, and your fan goes round, the fact is your fan does nothing and your warranty is probably void and you are happy with that. You are a comedian LOL.

Sicilian
26-09-11, 12:14
You're such an arrogant knob, and even tho you think your warranty is still valid, and your fan goes round, the fact is your fan does nothing and your warranty is probably void and you are happy with that. You are a comedian LOL.

Anymore calling of names like that to a member of staff here and you'll find yourself on holiday. I've just read through these last few posts and if anyone is being an 'arrogant knob' its you!

We've got the message about the fan and whatever circuitary you've created we dont need it rammed down our throats!

The ET9000 has been built to work with passive cooling, end of! ALL HD receivers on the market get warm/hot, its just the way they are. I've tested HD receivers that you CAN'T leave your hand of top as you'll get burnt.

Now I suggest you calm down.

Sicilian
26-09-11, 14:17
I've decided to close this thread as all info needed to install a fan is within this thread and to be honest I'm fed up with some of the comments being posted now.