PDA

View Full Version : Vu Duo - Support USB to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

mcquaim
10-03-11, 15:18
Hi folks,

I think I have too much time on my hands these days and it gets yah thinking..

I saw a little device on fleabay that let's you plug in an Ethernet adapter into a USB port and and achieve Gigabit speeds.

It's says it supports Linux and all the usual o/s so I was wondering if such a device would be compatible with the Vu Duo?

Anyone tested one of these adapters?

Cheers,
mcquaim

silverfox0786
10-03-11, 17:10
if there is any linux drivers for the device then we can try and make it load in the duo

but no garuntees

mcquaim
10-03-11, 17:17
It states on the ad that it is Linux compatible so reckon it comes with Linux drivers.. You never know on fleabay though what you'd be buying exactly!

Do you know much about networking on the Vu Duo silverfox?

I have another query posted about the speed of my network card on the Vu that is only getting a 10 Mbit connection (I think...)

silverfox0786
10-03-11, 18:09
It states on the ad that it is Linux compatible so reckon it comes with Linux drivers.. You never know on fleabay though what you'd be buying exactly!

Do you know much about networking on the Vu Duo silverfox?

I have another query posted about the speed of my network card on the Vu that is only getting a 10 Mbit connection (I think...)

networking on the duo is pertty easy specially with vix so im not sure what u wnt to know

mcquaim
10-03-11, 18:30
Hi there,

I was trying to find out at what speed my Vu Duo's network was currently set at but I couldn't find any info or telnet commands that worked that reported what I wanted.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?7000-VuDuo-Network-Card-Speed

My Vu Duo could be fine however after seeing a post on that thread and it could be an incorrect details stated on the manual for my Netgear DGN3500 router.

I'm going to try plug in an old laptop to my router that I think has a 100 Mbit Ethernet card and ensure that it is Amber also!

Cheers,
mcquaim

mcquaim
01-04-11, 09:41
I bought one of these adapters to see how it worked. It came with a cd rom with all sorts of drivers but the Linux ones are source files I think, tar files with various source files within.

It gives instructions on how to install and compile the drivers in Linux but I think I'm outta my depth here and not sure if it's even compatible with the Vu Duo.

Is it ok to attach the files here to see if anyone can make sense of them?

Larry-G
01-04-11, 09:43
Is it ok to attach the files here to see if anyone can make sense of them?

go for it mate.

mcquaim
01-04-11, 11:22
I'll have to upload the drivers later on, work seems to block uploads!

I'll put them up when I get home!

Sicilian
01-04-11, 11:24
I'll have to upload the drivers later on, work seems to block uploads!

I'll put them up when I get home!

Are the drivers zipped?

Let us know if you have an issue uploading from home, could be a server setting due to the move.

mcquaim
01-04-11, 11:41
Yeah, two zip files and a PDF.. I thought it was work as it was looking a Logon but perhaps it was your server!

I will post an update later!

mcquaim
02-04-11, 00:25
Hi folks,

Here are the files from the CDROM, the .tar file won't open, winzip reporting an error. I have incuded the .zip file instead and also the manual.

This URL was listed for drivers:
http_://www.asix.com.tw/products.php?op=pItemdetail&PItemID=84;71;100&PLine=71

Any help greatly appreciated..

xarqi
02-04-11, 06:17
Impossible with USB2.
USB2 is 480 Mb/s. Gigabit ethernet is 1000 Mb/s.

USB3 could possibly do it though.

mcquaim
02-04-11, 09:46
Hi xarqi,

Those speeds are notional, never achievable in the home network! I think the max you'd ever actually get on gigabit Ethernet is around 125 Mb/s.

If I could achieve anything close to that I'd be well happy!

mcquaim
03-04-11, 02:53
Anyone any ideas how to get those drivers to install on the Vu?

pooface
04-04-11, 09:53
Anyone any ideas how to get those drivers to install on the Vu?

You need to build the drivers in an environment for the duo... Good news, it should work on the duo according to the info in the readme:

This driver supports kernel versions from 2.6.14 to 2.6.31.

The kernal of the duo is:

Linux version 2.6.18-7.3

Now, you just gotta hope that someone has a bit of spare time to build them for you ;) Or, you could create a build environment of your own ;)

mcquaim
04-04-11, 12:54
Cheers pooface, great info!

I assume creating my own build environment would take a lot of time and expertise?

Be interesting though but perhaps outta my depth on this one..

mcquaim
08-04-11, 10:13
Hi folks,

So anyone have some time on their hands to build these source files?

If nobody can help with that does anyone have any info on how to set up a build environment for the Vu Duo?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated..

19-10-11, 15:44
has there been any updates on this?

pac2000
09-02-14, 20:50
The Speeds Of 11-12 MB/s Is Correct Max Speed Of 100Mb/s Networking, As Is 120-130MB/s For Gigabit Networking... And The USB 2 To Gigabit Adapter Should Give Roughly Half The Speed Of A Gigabit Network (480Mb/s = 50-55MB/s)...

Has Anyone Actually Done This On An Enigma2 Box??? I've Seen USB to Gigabit Adaptors For The Gigablue Quad, Does This Mean The Vu+ Duo Can Also Use This Same Adapter???

pac2000
09-02-14, 21:01
Just Checked On The Internet And Gigablue Themselves Do An Adaptor And Here's Their Manual For Installation...

Does This Mean All Adaptors Will Work Using This Same Method???

Trial
09-02-14, 22:00
Hi,
how do you get the idea that USB has around 50-55MByte/sec. Even the fastest hard drives only make around 35MByte/sec. 480 is a very very theoretical value. I read that Gigablue can make a bit over 20MByte/sec. I do not think that it makes a lot of sense on slower boxes like the Duo.

ciao

pac2000
09-02-14, 22:04
I Think Gigablue Are Doing Something A Bit Dodgy... The One On The Left Is The Gigablue(Ģ30), The One On The Right Is A Generic One From Hong Kong(Ģ10)...

An Extra Ģ20 For Gigablue Written On It...

So, I Assume This Will Definitely Work With An Enigma2 Box, As I Think The Driver Is Built Into The Linux Kernel Itself And Should Just Work...

Ģ10 To Increase The Speed Of My Duo's Network By Nearly 5 Times...

pac2000
09-02-14, 22:11
Okay, I Was Getting My Hopes Up... That's The Signalling Rate Of USB2(480Mb/s)... But It Can Still Achieve 35MB/s Throughput(Theoretically)...

But If What You Say About The Quad Only Achieving 20MB/s Then I've Just Got Myself All Excited For Nothing...

Is There No Chance The Duo Could Get 20MB/s???

That Little Bit Extra Would Mean I Don't Have To Get Another Box...

pac2000
10-02-14, 02:52
What About NIC Adapter Teaming Or Bonding??? Is Either Possible With The VIX Image???

Trial
10-02-14, 09:28
Hi,
what you means is I think link aggregation and this is a high end technique which is not so easy to implement.

ciao

pac2000
10-02-14, 21:33
I've Found This Guide, And I've Found The 'modules.conf' File, But Don't Know Where To Place The ifcfg-bon0, ifcfg-eth0 And ifcfg-eth1 Files...

http://www.linickx.com/61/network-card-teaming-on-linux-how-to

It Says To Place Them In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/

I've Even Searched For 'ifcfg-eth0' And 'eth0' But Get No Results... Do I Place Them In /etc/modules-load.d/ Or Is There Somewhere Else The Network Configuration Is Stored???

raikkok
04-03-14, 14:26
I've Found This Guide, And I've Found The 'modules.conf' File, But Don't Know Where To Place The ifcfg-bon0, ifcfg-eth0 And ifcfg-eth1 Files...

http://www.linickx.com/61/network-card-teaming-on-linux-how-to

It Says To Place Them In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/

I've Even Searched For 'ifcfg-eth0' And 'eth0' But Get No Results... Do I Place Them In /etc/modules-load.d/ Or Is There Somewhere Else The Network Configuration Is Stored???

At final What happened with it?

Iīm also interested to improve the speed of my vuduo, in lan network.

Anyone compile the drivers or similar?

Thanks mates

rossi2000
04-03-14, 16:00
bonding needs to be enabled in the kernel

then you should be able to create your bond0

raikkok
04-03-14, 20:06
rossi2000

and what about, install the drivers of gigablue ethernet, directly, without NIC?

Is it possible?

Sorry if i tell something horrible, but i donīt have enough knowledge.

The only thing i know, is, i have installed in my vuduo, the latest rtorrent.. and well, it is 24 hours online, but when i pass the files from vuduo to my pc, is a big shit, simple horrible. The speed sucks...

So Thatīs the reason i ask about.

I īm looking for another alternative, like raspberry pi, but it isnīt gigabit lan, also rj45+usb, so 2.0, 480 mbps (all theoric..)