PDA

View Full Version : VuDuo : Network Card Speed

mcquaim
10-03-11, 00:45
Hi folks,

I have just gotten a new router and it's thrown up something interesting about my LAN connection to my Vu+ Duo.

The router is a Netgear DGN3500 and the LAN ports use colour coded LED's to indicate network speed.

Green: Connection speeds 100mbps or greater
Amber: 10mbps
Red: No connection

My Vu Duo connection LED is showing Amber indicating my connection is only establishing a 10mbps connection.

Does the Vu Duo not have a 100mbps network card or greater??

If it does then what could be my problems? Broken cable or bad connections?

This could explain my bad streaming conditions I've been experiencing and my old router didn't highlight this...

Cheers,
mcquaim

mcquaim
10-03-11, 14:15
After a bit of reading I see the Vu Duo is supposed to have a 10/100 Mbit network card so I reckon now the problem lies with a dodgy network cable or loose RJ45 connectors..

At least the new router highlighted the slow speed..

sivhead
10-03-11, 15:15
My Vu Duo has always connected to my router at 10mb, I have never found out how to change this setting. I would like to set it to 100mb full duplex but would not where to start

mcquaim
10-03-11, 15:22
Hi sivhead,

How had you checked the Ethernet speed?

Perhaps I have nothing wrong with my cable or connectors and this speed is down to the Vu Duo itself..

mcquaim
10-03-11, 16:47
Just a bit of an update!

To rule out my LAN cable or connectors being at fault I plugged my Vu Duo directly into my router via a factory made LAN cable and I'm getting the same results, connecting at 10 Mbps.

I'm wondering now is the network card not set up correctly on the Vu Duo or is my router not reporting correctly from a Linux source?

I have my pc connected to another LAN port on the router and it is correctly connecting at Gigabit speeds.

Any experts on the hardware setup on the Vu?

mcquaim
10-03-11, 17:43
I have been trying to run some telnet commands to find info on my network card on my Vu Duo but none are returning anything....

I've tried:
# dmesg |grep eth0 (Returns nothing)
# mii-tool -v eth0 (Say's -sh: mii-tool: not found)
# ethtool eth0 (Settings for eth0: No Data Available)

Anybody know what commands will throw back the network card details?

banie01
10-03-11, 17:51
Another user had this same issue and even returned his Vu+ Duo see this post here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71034886&postcount=980
along with this one http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71008001&postcount=15
Turns out that it was actually an issue with the manual being incorrect for his Netgear DGN3500 router ;)

bassethound
10-03-11, 17:56
I have been trying to run some telnet commands to find info on my network card on my Vu Duo but none are returning anything....

I've tried:
# dmesg |grep eth0 (Returns nothing)
# mii-tool -v eth0 (Say's -sh: mii-tool: not found)
# ethtool eth0 (Settings for eth0: No Data Available)

Anybody know what commands will throw back the network card details?

Use command "netstat"

mcquaim
10-03-11, 18:18
Hi bassethound,

I had tried that but it doesn't throw back the actual ethernet card configuration.

I believe mii-tool or dmesg should throw back some details...

mcquaim
10-03-11, 18:24
I missed your post banei01, very interesting alright...

The manual does state otherwise but you might be correct... I think I have an old laptop that has 100 Mbit Ethernet card so I'll stick that in one of the LAN port on the router and confirm it is also Amber then...

Thanks for the post, very helpful..

Cheers,
mcquaim

banie01
10-03-11, 18:27
I missed your post banei01, very interesting alright...

The manual does state otherwise but you might be correct... I think I have an old laptop that has 100 Mbit Ethernet card so I'll stick that in one of the LAN port on the router and confirm it is also Amber then...

Thanks for the post, very helpful..

Cheers,
mcquaim

Your welcome mate! I just hope it turns out to be the same issue for ya ;)

mcquaim
10-03-11, 20:14
You were correct banel01, the Netgear user manual was incorrect in that stating an Amber led meant a 10 Mbit connection.

It means basically anything less than a 1000 Mbit connection. I connected my old laptop with a 100 Mbit ethernet card and it too showed up amber on the lan LED's.

Thanks a mill for the pointer, it saved me a lot of time fumbling around in the dark...

As a side question, does anyone know any command that works on telnet that will return data about the ethernet card on the Vu Duo???

mii-tool should work but it is not being recognised. It should report something as follows:

# mii-tool -v eth0

eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok
product info: vendor 00:00:00, model 0 rev 0
basic mode: autonegotiation enabled
basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok
capabilities: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD...

dnme
16-03-11, 00:14
Another user had this same issue and even returned his Vu+ Duo see this post here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71034886&postcount=980
along with this one http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71008001&postcount=15
Turns out that it was actually an issue with the manual being incorrect for his Netgear DGN3500 router ;)

Hi mcquaim,

I was that user. The manual is wrong. The correct led port lights are as follows

1Gb connection = green
10Mbit or 100Mbit connection = amber

Rob van der Does
18-03-11, 12:00
As a side question, does anyone know any command that works on telnet that will return data about the ethernet card on the Vu Duo???
mii-tool should work but it is not being recognised. It should report something as follows:
# mii-tool -v eth0
eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok
product info: vendor 00:00:00, model 0 rev 0
basic mode: autonegotiation enabled
basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok
capabilities: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD...

This is a flaw in the PLi-software (and hence in ViX): it does work fine in the original image (5.6).
Possibly this flaw is also related to the networktest not working properly.