PDA

View Full Version : Blu-ray players - why are they SO big?

sonc
08-03-11, 20:13
Can anyone tell me why Blu-ray players have to be 430mm wide?

Normal set-top boxes, like the Duo and my Virgin V+ box, are around 380mm. Blu-ray players seem to have got thinner over the last couple of years, but I can't find any that have got less wide - they are all 430mm :mad:

I have a nice cabinet below my TV to hold 3 boxes, but the Blu-ray player doesn't fit :mad:

Can anyone recommend any smaller Blu-ray players?

I know a PS3 will do the job, but I've got a Wii and preferably don't want a PS3 (or to change the cabinet!).

Thanks.

realbigfish
13-04-11, 23:12
i believe Samsung do a compact blu-ray 3D player it costs around £250 though ...

google Samsung BD-D7000

@rbf

sonc
13-04-11, 23:37
WOW....that looks so good. Knew they should be getting smaller, but couldn't find any when I looked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRqi-onL9_Y

sivhead
14-04-11, 09:52
The reason why blu ray players are so wide these days is because they are generally used for wide screen tv's which have wide stands. So the width is usually not an issue. The issue that most people have is not enough shelves for all the gadgets.... so the thinner is usually the better. Also its more astetically pleasing to the eye..
Unfortunately you dont fall into the average so now you have to hunt for a new stand or a new blu ray player.... When are you likely to upgrade your tv? this would then come into the equation of do I get a new stand now or later
Also You have not said what the size of your cabinet is ? What is the maximum size that would fit.. The Pioneer BDP-330 is slightly smaller at 420mm and would set you back £99.

Sicilian
14-04-11, 10:58
I personally wouldn't buy a blu-ray player when network media players are less than half price and can play 1080 blu-ray rips.

sivhead
14-04-11, 11:28
I personally dont see the point of a network media player when the VU Duo plays everything I throw at it. (all be it with a bit of tweaking to the file).
but here you go is this small enough..

http://us.toshiba.com/video-electronics/BLU-RAY-PLAYERS/BDX1100
14.7 inches 374mm £99 Argos

realbigfish
14-04-11, 12:12
I am still a fan of the HTPC ... we only got a hd lcd about 3 years ago ... bought a nice little black case for around £30 and a blu-ray drive for £45 (was a used 1) got the rest of the parts from spares i had (never short of them lol ... the mrs goes mental) through them all together and stuck it under the telly. Plays every formate there is to play.

Got to admit though i errr do tend to play more rips than discs ....

@rbf

sonc
14-04-11, 21:43
The reason why blu ray players are so wide these days is because they are generally used for wide screen tv's which have wide stands. So the width is usually not an issue. The issue that most people have is not enough shelves for all the gadgets.... so the thinner is usually the better. Also its more astetically pleasing to the eye..
Unfortunately you dont fall into the average so now you have to hunt for a new stand or a new blu ray player.... When are you likely to upgrade your tv? this would then come into the equation of do I get a new stand now or later
Also You have not said what the size of your cabinet is ? What is the maximum size that would fit.. The Pioneer BDP-330 is slightly smaller at 420mm and would set you back £99.

I've already upgraded to a 46" sony which is going on the wall, so the stand doesn't come into it. The cabinet is just wide enough for my VirginMedia V+ box, Vu+Duo and the Bluray player to fit side by side. Unfortunaley there were 3 equal sized 'compartments' for the boxes to slide into, so although the other 2 fitted nicely, the Bluray player didn't fit.

Anyway, I've done it a bit of DIY on the cabinet :D and they fit in nicely now.

silverfox0786
15-04-11, 01:02
my philips will arrive sometime today and i got a real deal £1399 got me the tv a blueray 3d player and 2 3d glasses

every where i look the tv alone without bluray and without glasses is around £1500 plus