PDA

View Full Version : where do i put my new satelllite xml file??

moogwai
05-03-11, 13:31
quick one for you chaps.....just want to update my satellite list on my vu duo (vix 2.03) and wanted to know where do i put my new xml file?? is there a thread on this?
cheers.

moogwai
05-03-11, 14:00
Done it.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

silverfox0786
06-03-11, 00:26
i really hate it when a question is asked and op replies back with just a done it or it ok i figured it out

it helps nobody that, except you and this is a community forum

so for any body stumnbling upon this thread the answer to the OP question is

/etc/tuxbox

Rob van der Does
10-03-11, 17:02
so for any body stumbling upon this thread the answer to the OP question is
/etc/tuxbox
That means that ViX uses a completely different way of handling the .xml than PLi does. Is that correct?
In PLi the xml in etc/tuxbox is delivered and maintained (weekly updates) by the image. If a user wants to use his own version, he places it in etc/enigma2. On startup E2 will first look in the latter, and if an xml exists it will be used. If it doesn't exist, it will use the system file.
This method was introduced some time ago to prevent interference between user- and systemfiles.

I just ask this to be sure that ViX indeed uses a different method.

Larry-G
10-03-11, 17:18
That means that ViX uses a completely different way of handling the .xml than PLi does. Is that correct?
In PLi the xml in etc/tuxbox is delivered and maintained (weekly updates) by the image. If a user wants to use his own version, he places it in etc/enigma2. On startup E2 will first look in the latter, and if an xml exists it will be used. If it doesn't exist, it will use the system file.
This method was introduced some time ago to prevent interference between user- and systemfiles.

i think you will find that this is the standard way for all E2 systems to handle a satellites.xml file, if pli images handle it differently its because they designed it to do so.

the VIX image is not a carbon copy of the PLI image we just used the parts we liked and merged them with the parts from our image we liked / preferred. if we wanted a copy of a pli image we would not have bothered developing VIX in the first place, but then again if we did that you would not have any thing to complain about now would you ?.

Rob van der Does
10-03-11, 17:27
i think you will find that this is the standard way for all E2 systems to handle a satellites.xml file, if pli images handle it differently its because they designed it to do so.

the VIX image is not a carbon copy of the PLI image we just used the parts we liked and merged them with the parts from our image we liked / preferred. if we wanted a copy of a pli image we would not have bothered developing VIX in the first place, but then again if we did that you would not have any thing to complain about now would you ?.

Indeed, as I wrote: PLi changed that behaviour.
But I am not sure I understand you completely: I am not complaining about anything.
Again:

And apparently the answer is a simple "Yes".

Rob van der Does
11-03-11, 07:39
Given your harsh and rude reply, I could not resist checking this. And indeed, as I suspected: VIX handles the satellites.xml in exactly the same way as PLi 2.0 does (as described above: giving preference of the satellites.xml in /etc/enigma2 over the one in /etc/tuxbox). Nothing wrong with that, on the contrary: it was one of the many wise design-decisions that made you choose to use PLi as basis in the first place.

But please: next time think twice before giving a rude answer. Especially as there was nothing wrong with my question. And only give an answer if you know the answer, based on the present situation, not on previous and other images.

Larry-G
11-03-11, 08:00
Given your harsh and rude reply, I could not resist checking this. And indeed, as I suspected: VIX handles the satellites.xml in exactly the same way as PLi 2.0 does (as described above: giving preference of the satellites.xml in /etc/enigma2 over the one in /etc/tuxbox). Nothing wrong with that, on the contrary: it was one of the many wise design-decisions that made you choose to use PLi as basis in the first place.

But please: next time think twice before giving a rude answer. Especially as there was nothing wrong with my question. And only give an answer if you know the answer, based on the present situation, not on previous and other images.

harsh and rude ?. i think not.

if any thing its your posts which are harsh and rude.

Rob van der Does
11-03-11, 08:16
harsh and rude ?. i think not.
if any thing its your posts which are harsh and rude.
If so: I do apologise for that.
But please point out to me what/where/which (part of my) post(s) is not i.a.w. observing manners.

And maybe it's a good idea for you to apologise also, for giving a completely wrong answer, in spite of my invitation to make sure your answer would be right?

b.t.w.: Is it not normal nowadays to use capitals at the start of a sentence? If so: please tell me, I would love to improve my English!

yngvekl
11-03-11, 09:42
Wohoo guys!!! Break it up!!!

pooface
11-03-11, 09:51
Answer has been given ... this thread is going nowhere else... Closed