PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive space missing after Initializing

killz187
03-03-11, 13:56
Hi guys new to the forum and new user to the Vu+duo.Okey took delivery to the Vu+Duo yesterday and flashed it with Vix 2.0 and tried initializing the 1TB hard drive and it would be stuck on 50% so went came to this forum and read on some thread that you have to use Vix 1.3 for initializing the hard drive then flash it again with
Vix 2.0 .Done that and i can now see the hard drive but is says it only has 930GB so wanted to know were the 70GB has gone?Using 1TB SAMSUNG HD103SJ SATA F3.
When i initialized it using Vix 1.3 it showed me it had the full 1TB space,but on Vix 2.0 its only showing 930GB space,Is there something im missing ?
Thanks for all the hard work guys.

bassethound
03-03-11, 14:34
read here about HDD Capacity measurements read the section called Capacity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive

Larry-G
03-03-11, 14:41
Hi guys new to the forum and new user to the Vu+duo.Okey took delivery to the Vu+Duo yesterday and flashed it with Vix 2.0 and tried initializing the 1TB hard drive and it would be stuck on 50% so went came to this forum and read on some thread that you have to use Vix 1.3 for initializing the hard drive then flash it again with
Vix 2.0 .Done that and i can now see the hard drive but is says it only has 930GB so wanted to know were the 70GB has gone?Using 1TB SAMSUNG HD103SJ SATA F3.
When i initialized it using Vix 1.3 it showed me it had the full 1TB space,but on Vix 2.0 its only showing 930GB space,Is there something im missing ?
Thanks for all the hard work guys.

as the article basset bas linked to will no doubt tell you your capacity is correct your not missing anything at all, this is just how HDDS work and always have regardless of the size of the drive.

killz187
03-03-11, 14:59
Thanks for the help guys i thought i was doing something wrong.Im really enjoying using this box ,lots of things to learn about the vix Image.

pooface
03-03-11, 15:05
Also, linux operating systems using 5% as an overhead when formatting drives as standard. This can be changed to 0%, as the drive is not used as the operating system... This will claim you back probably 30gb or so...

[Edit]
Here's a quick bit of info about it:

http://www.ducea.com/2008/03/04/ext3-reserved-blocks-percentage/