PDA

View Full Version : TM800 HD or TM5402 HD

hanman
28-02-11, 20:17
hi,

I currently have a sly HD box, a BM7000 and am looking for a 2nd non-sky HD box. Rather than get another Blade box i have been looking at the TM800 HD or TM5402 box.

I can't decide which one to go for as both have good reviews. i like the 800 as it is now open Linux, which means support should be more forthcoming but there seem to be a few issues with the box. if i get a J'Tagged 800 would these known issues disappear?

The 5402 has been given rave reviews and is £50 cheaper but it currently has closed linux and therefore if support disappears i will end up with a door stop...

i would like the box to have RF out (for 2nd tv) and have a reliable EPG as i would like to perform timer and series recording like the sly HD box i currently have.

Am i missing other HD boxes to consider around the £150-£200 mark?

your thoughts will be appreciated.

Sicilian
28-02-11, 20:31
The TM5402HD is more or less similar to your BM70000s, its non-linux also.

In this price range I'd say go for the TM800 as its got the RF out that your looking for, nothing else has this.

witchy
28-02-11, 23:28
The TM800 has came on leaps and bounds recently, the only things letting it down these days are the hit or miss PVR functions and the lack of 3rd party support.

Obviously the PVR functionality will be a major priority for Team UR, so that should be sorted pretty soon.

Media playback (Divx etc) has also to be added.

Go for the TM800 if you accept it's current limitations, it's a bit of a bargain at it's current price and as with any Linux box, it's much more fun than any closed firmware box.

Sicilian
28-02-11, 23:34
The TM800 has came on leaps and bounds recently, the only things letting it down these days are the hit or miss PVR functions and the lack of 3rd party support.

Currently theres the UR image and DW image, both work well for watching satellite TV :)

Obviously the PVR functionality will be a major priority for Team UR, so that should be sorted pretty soon.

Fixes implemented for this in last UR image

Tm800 25-2-11 ur

fixed
pvr-time shift-trick play
hd skin
some audio problem
Fixed blue screen bugs when go to lan menu after skin change,

Media playback (Divx etc) has also to be added.

Go for the TM800 if you accept it's current limitations, it's a bit of a bargain at it's current price and as with any Linux box, it's much more fun than any closed firmware box.

There's no Enigma2 satellite receiver on the market that is capable of playing ALL media files, as a satellite receiver the latest Jtagged versions of TM800 perform very well imo and yes your right at the current price of £199 its a bargain :)

witchy
28-02-11, 23:49
Currently theres the UR image and DW image, both work well for watching satellite TV :)

The DW image is simply the UR release with a few added plugins and a couple of graphical cosmetic changes, it's not as if a team such as Nabilosat or even VIX have specifically coded for the machines, like they do for the VU+, Dreambox etc ranges. Digidude has done a lot with his DW mods but none of it is under the hood, it's still basically the unchanged UR code at the end of the day. We need teams like Nabilosat and PLi to pick up the box and start creating images.

Fixes implemented for this in last UR image

They may have added these fixes, but unfortunately my PVR still doesn't work properly. My main issue is that it doesn't detect my internal Sata drive.
I have 3 Sata drives and all 3 behave the same way in the TM800. when I initially install them they work great, then after a few reboots they vanish and no matter what I do they don't come back, lol. The only way I can get them back is if I physically remove the drive from the box and replace it with another!

There's no Enigma2 satellite receiver on the market that is capable of playing ALL media files, as a satellite receiver the latest Jtagged versions of TM800 perform very well imo and yes your right at the current price of £199 its a bargain :)

The TM800 plays NO video media at all mate.

Larry-G
28-02-11, 23:50
while the TM5402 is a cracking standalone box i dont think i could ever go back to a closed firmware box, not after using a linux box for almost 10 years. there great for the person who just wants a box that works but i need to mess about with things too much and i would get bored with it way way too fast.

Sicilian
01-03-11, 00:02
The TM800 plays NO video media at all mate.

m8, i've got a VU+ Duo, Solo, ET9000 and a TM800 but I still use my Mede8er to play all my media files

I use my satellite receiver for satellite TV and my media player for media files.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?6757-Mede8er-MED500X-Full-HD-Networked-Media-Tank-%A389.95-today-only!

witchy
01-03-11, 00:10
m8, i've got a VU+ Duo, Solo, ET9000 and a TM800 but I still use my Mede8er to play all my media files

I don't see how your reply is relevant?

The Technomate 800 does not have a working mediaplayer, which is what we are talking about.

Are you drunk? :)

lol

Sicilian
01-03-11, 00:14
I don't see how your reply is relevant?

The Technomate 800 does not have a working mediaplayer.

Are you drunk? :)

Drunk?? Wish I was :roflmao:

I was just stating the fact that I prefer to use a satellite receiver for satellite TV (which is the TM800's purpose) and media player for media files.

Now lets get back on topic.

witchy
01-03-11, 00:19
Indeed, but I was only pointing out the fact that the TM800 does not currently support any video media playback - except internally created .ts files.

We are not all rich buggers like you, infact, you have too many receivers, you should donate one of them to me. :)

lol

Tyler
01-03-11, 00:22
I agree with sic, it's better to have a separate media box. I have a Abigs one which is first class. And keep my satt stuff separate.

I know were gone of on a tangent, going back to second box I think a vu solo is the best way to go.
That's my penny's worth for today lol

world-of-satellite.co.uk
01-03-11, 00:25
hi,

I currently have a sly HD box, a BM7000 and am looking for a 2nd non-sky HD box. Rather than get another Blade box i have been looking at the TM800 HD or TM5402 box.

I can't decide which one to go for as both have good reviews. i like the 800 as it is now open Linux, which means support should be more forthcoming but there seem to be a few issues with the box. if i get a J'Tagged 800 would these known issues disappear?

The 5402 has been given rave reviews and is £50 cheaper but it currently has closed linux and therefore if support disappears i will end up with a door stop...

i would like the box to have RF out (for 2nd tv) and have a reliable EPG as i would like to perform timer and series recording like the sly HD box i currently have.

Am i missing other HD boxes to consider around the £150-£200 mark?

your thoughts will be appreciated.

I've sold and have many happy customers with both the TM-5402HD and the TM-800HD.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is the series recording, I dont think the TM-800 has the autotimer plugin. The VU+ Solo does have the Autotimer plugin that could act similar to series link.

witchy
01-03-11, 00:29
I agree with sic, it's better to have a separate media box. I have a Abigs one which is first class. And keep my satt stuff separate.
l

I agree with him too! lol

But I have a few reasons why that's not an option for me.

1. My TV has only 2 HDMI sockets.
2. I've ran out of power sockets.
3. I have no more room under my TV for another box.
4. I'm skint.

:D

Personally, I use the PS3 and Xbox360 as media players.

Tyler
01-03-11, 00:40
Witchy mate, were all strapped for cash sorry can't help u with that. Lol.
Have u taught about a spiderbox 9000hd?
It has an RF, great hd picture quaility and there pretty cheap( u being strapped in all lol).
U also get bonus pack.

witchy
01-03-11, 00:50
Witchy mate, were all strapped for cash sorry can't help u with that. Lol.
Have u taught about a spiderbox 9000hd?
It has an RF, great hd picture quaility and there pretty cheap( u being strapped in all lol).

I'm not after a box mate, it's the OP 'hanman', lol

Tyler
01-03-11, 00:55
I'm still laughing here as I just read ur post on the spiderbox. Lol.
I should have read a few other posts before Posting.

By the way, I have a technomate 800hd that I bought in oct, I hate the bloody thing I don't think the picture quaility is great I have been meaning to send it off to get it jtaged. I don't know if it makes any difference to it.
I don't think the build quaility is great either. I have a vu duo, blade 7000 and a spider 9000, I like all 3.(spider one is for the wife and kids, not allowed to touch my other toys lol.

punisher
01-03-11, 01:17
I'm still laughing here as I just read ur post on the spiderbox. Lol.
I should have read a few other posts before Posting.

By the way, I have a technomate 800hd that I bought in oct, I hate the bloody thing I don't think the picture quaility is great I have been meaning to send it off to get it jtaged. I don't know if it makes any difference to it.
I don't think the build quaility is great either. I have a vu duo, blade 7000 and a spider 9000, I like all 3.(spider one is for the wife and kids, not allowed to touch my other toys lol.

lol jtag the tm800hd and ill buy it if u hate it :p

Tyler
01-03-11, 01:37
If I not happy after it's done mate u have first shout.
How about that! Lol

Tyler
01-03-11, 01:38
All I have to do is get off my Lilly white ass and post it

punisher
01-03-11, 04:32
U do that :fart2: Lmao kool jus lemi know then :-p been lookin at a tm800hd or any decent enigma 2 box for abit now :p

judge
01-03-11, 04:38
what does j tagging do?

Sicilian
01-03-11, 06:13
what does j tagging do?

By Jtagged they mean they re-programmed the processor.

Tyler
02-03-11, 09:53
Sic, do u ever go to bed?

Sicilian
02-03-11, 10:10
Sic, do u ever go to bed?

For a few hours, not for long :roflmao:

Up at 5am most morning for the :lifting: :sweating: