PDA

View Full Version : port forwarding help...

deano41
25-05-10, 13:40
Hi, as the title suggests can can somebody please tell me how to set up my router to allow my vuduo to download plugins etc, if i go straight from the modem to my receiver i can download them no probs but if i go through my belkin n1 router it errors saying perhaps i need to run ipkg update..I am presuming this must be down to my router..I have tried doing it myself through the virtual server settings on the router config page but must be doing something wrong as it just keeps erroring..I am also presuming that this will need to be working to enable cccam to work..

bobonthejob
25-05-10, 13:43
Hey mate....i am using Belking power lines, alongwith a Belkin router.

I dont have any problems with the downloading and installation of plugins...

Do you get errors? What error message do you get? Who is your ISP?

deano41
25-05-10, 19:53
Hi Bob, thanks for the reply,in answer to your questions regarding errors etc the following is what I got when I tried a random download of dreamexplorer,it is the same with any of the plugins except a different file name if you know what I mean..
wget:cannot connect to remote host(194.109.04)
Connection timed out..
An Error occured,return value 22.
Collected errors:
ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1:
wget--passive-ftp _q_p/tmp/ikpg-ZQCtXE http://downloads.pli-images-org/feeds/openpli/3rd-party/vuduo/enigma2-plugin.extensions-dreamexplorer.
Perhaps you need to run'ipkg update ?
Execution finished.
All the spaces etc may not be in the right places but this is the general jist of the message that I get..
My provider is vermin media for the broadband connection..
Also 1 other question that I am not sure about is should I be able to see my vuduo on my pc,if so where and how as I can't at the moment but I was able to ftp to it..

bobonthejob
26-05-10, 10:10
If you go to your 'network neighbourhood' you should see it pop on there as a networked device.

So we are pretty much with a alike setup apart from where i have power lines. I havent had to open any ports...it uses standard port 80 as far as i know. Have you tried checking to see if your belkin router has any new firmware? Let me know the model and i could take a look if you want. You will be able to backup your settings, flash the new firmware and then restore your settings back.

Just read...are you on the belkin n1 vision router? The one with the nice display on the front, piano black finish.?

http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=493

deano41
26-05-10, 11:29
Hi again Bob,not sure if its the vision router but it does have a nice blue display but not a led one...The model number is F5D8231-4, any help with this is really appreciated..John..By the way it says on the config page for the router no firmware updates available..Thanks again.

dfdream
26-05-10, 11:45
Deano41,

Could you give some more info on the above.

You have your n1 router connected by cable to your BB modem.
You have your VU connected to router (is it wired or wireless)
Is your VU set by static IP or DHCP.
If DHCP what device gives out the ip addresses.
If you connect a laptop or PC to the n1 router using wired or wireless can you get access to the internet.
Can you log into the n1 and your modems web pages.

D

bobonthejob
26-05-10, 13:08
Hi,

What version is your router? It will have a ver.???? number under neath. After you have the version number...log in to the control panel and get see what firmware it is currently running. Then go to the below link to download the latest firmware according to the version number you have.

http://en-uk-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1975/session/L3NpZC80WWxLZlIqag%3D%3D/kw/F5D8231-4/r_id/166/sno/0

Give it a go after that and hopefully it may work.

Stanman
26-05-10, 13:19
http://portforward.com/

Has the major manufacutrers and explains how to do it. In my expereince I have not had to do it bar for a particular process that has nothing to do with downloading plugins etc. Your issue might be something else such as IP address for the box

grtmoby
26-05-10, 13:36
thanks stanman....

here is a direct link for your router

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Belkin/F5D5231-4/F5D5231-4index.html

mk753
26-05-10, 15:33
Hi,
I think its the IP address error. You need to make sure you give the correct remote host name. To my knowledge it should be something like 192.168.xxx.xxx, your seems to be way out of that unless I am missing something here.

Sicilian
26-05-10, 15:46
Make sure DCHP is enabled on your router and enable DHCP on the Duo. Then re-boot the Duo. It should then pickup the correct network details.

Stanman
26-05-10, 20:47
I had a problem with a TM600 that kept sayinh no IP address but could connect to update firmware. A new firmware did the trick.

If the above does not work, you might want to switch off the other devices and than reboot the router as well as the box and see what happens.

deano41
29-05-10, 16:01
Hi everyone and thanks for all the replies. I have spent the last day or so when not at work totally wiping my pc as it had a few problems and i also downloaded the latest firmware for the router..My router is set to dhcp as is the vuduo.I am still having the same problem which is unable to download any plug-ins when i go through the router but i can when i connect directly.I am using home-plugs for my network,also all other laptops etc that connect wirelessly to my router have no problems connecting to the net..I am stumped !!

grtmoby
29-05-10, 16:06
I am still having the same problem which is unable to download any plug-ins when i go through the router but i can when i connect directly

can you explain what do u mean by this.... what do u mean by "when i connect directly

deano41
29-05-10, 16:06
Hi again, just another quick note what did you mean mk753 by the ip address being way off,i thought the dhcp sorted the ip addresses automatically, do i have to change a setting somewhere ?

deano41
29-05-10, 16:08
can you explain what do u mean by this.... what do u mean by "when i connect directly

Yes sorry i meant when i connect straight from my modem and by-pass the router..

grtmoby
29-05-10, 16:11
ok so this means u have a modem connected to a router that distributes to the house.

if this is the case then you have to do port forwarding on both as i guess what u have is a router(modem) then a switch/access point that distributes to the house.

if my assumption is not ture kindly explain how is your network connected and what devices you are using.

mrgee
29-05-10, 16:13
Hi,

Have you set the gateway setting in the VU to the IP address of your router. Assuming you havn't changed any settings in the router it should be 192.168.2.1.

You also need to set DNS in the VU as well. This should be the same as above.

Check the subnet mask is ok as well. Should be 255.255.255.0

deano41
30-05-10, 17:12
Hi mrgee, i haven't changed any of my settings either on my router or on my duo, when I go into the network configuration on the duo then into adapter settings it shows my ip address as 192,168.2.4, my netmask as 255.255.255.0,my gateway as 192.168.2.1 and primary dns 192.168.2.1, and lastly my secondary dns as 194.168.4.100...Then when i go into edit dns my nameservers are as follows: Nameserver 1 = 192.168.2.1, Nameserver 2 = 194.168.4.100, and Nameserver 3 = 194.168.8.100... I am wondering if any of these need editing and if so which one..Thanks again for all of your help...

wobbler
30-05-10, 21:46
As far as I understand it, your gateway and primary DNS are the same and are in fact the router (mine is 192.168.1.1) and you should be able to connect to it by just putting 192.168.2.1 in the address bar of your browser.
It should come up asking for user/password enabling you to log in to the router to administer it, if you don't get that then summat is 'orribly wrong somewhere.

Stanman
30-05-10, 22:12
Have you checked to see if the port is actually?
I have forwarded three ports on my router to 3 different devices and only two of them are actually open - did everything the same for all three:confused::confused:

This is a good place to check
http://www.canyouseeme.org/

mrgee
01-06-10, 09:03
Hi mrgee, i haven't changed any of my settings either on my router or on my duo, when I go into the network configuration on the duo then into adapter settings it shows my ip address as 192,168.2.4, my netmask as 255.255.255.0,my gateway as 192.168.2.1 and primary dns 192.168.2.1, and lastly my secondary dns as 194.168.4.100...Then when i go into edit dns my nameservers are as follows: Nameserver 1 = 192.168.2.1, Nameserver 2 = 194.168.4.100, and Nameserver 3 = 194.168.8.100... I am wondering if any of these need editing and if so which one..Thanks again for all of your help...

Hi,

Remove the 2nd and 3rd nameservers they are not reqiured.

deano41
01-06-10, 11:40
Cheers for the reply mrgee but when i remove these they just re-appear after restarting the network or the actual vuduo..I must be missing something on the router settings and its doing my head in as this is my 1st adventure with networking etc..

deano41
01-06-10, 11:44
Re Stanman, when i go to the canyouseeme site and try any of the port numbers in the box, ie: 80 or 21 i get the message can't see me, connection timed out..

Stanman
01-06-10, 19:55
That sounds as if they are not open. If they were open but not accepting connection than it says "connection refused" and if they are open it says success. I dont know if it has been asked but have you assigned the ports that you forwarded to the box? as I have found with my router if I open it but do not assign it says connection refused rather than successes or timed out