PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations on HD sat reciever.

sivhead
25-02-11, 13:40
I will be purchasing a new HD Satellite receiver for the bedroom. It does not have to be anything fancy, it will only be used for watching FTA and wacthing recorded programmes from my vu plus hard disk box which is downstairs so it needs to be able to mount a network share and play back the files. (thinking about it would need to do this wirelessly as I have no (RJ46) LAN cables patched in upstairs, so I am guessing it will also need to be able to work with the open media wifi bridge.

The cheapest I can get a HD receiever for is about £60 for a FOXSAT HD, Now I know this is not linux but it does have the added advantage of being able to watch bbc iplayer.

Does anyone now if you can mount to a samba share and if so will it play back the content recorded from my VU ? over a wifi bridge.

I would get a Vu Solo but cant justify paying £260 for something thats not going to be used to its full potential.

Has anyone got a similair setup or can recommend anything..

pooface
25-02-11, 14:08
Don't think many boxes can mount shares... Looking around, I can't see any reference to shares for the spiderbox or blade boxes... So, I think a linux box will be needed...

Stanman
25-02-11, 14:27
If the FOXSAT HD is anything like the HDR than the answer is an emphatic no.

Have you thought about the QBOX Mini as a google search seems to indicate it can mount a share and is only £175 or £205 twin tuner from the sponsor.

world-of-satellite.co.uk
25-02-11, 15:06
As stated above, will need to be a linux recevier, but I doubt you'll be much just mounting a network share and playing back recordings unless your using WIFI N bridges or homeplugs.

Take a look at the Qbox or the TM800, cant say how well they will work with network mounts though. The Solo will work with network mounts fine. Send me pm if you interested in a Solo, might be able to offer you a members special deal ;)

punisher
25-02-11, 15:19
yeh i was going to say qbox mini hd, tm800 hd but for what you want prolly the solo will perform the best

sivhead
25-02-11, 22:50
I had a feeling the best/cheapest guaranteed option was going to be the solo... I only have a budget of £100 at the moment so if I could hold the PM for a little while until I get few more pennies together... (within the next couple of months)..

Unless anyone can confirm that the qbox hd mini has no issues playing recorded files from a vu duo. I am not gonna go the clone route... I will just wait a little longer, its not worth the hassle.

Stanman
25-02-11, 22:58
PM forum member DATA perhaps he can check it for you as he had a QBOX

punisher
25-02-11, 23:14
yeh dont go down the clone router, your better off getting original and something with a genuine warranty and support

Sicilian
26-02-11, 07:14
I had a feeling the best/cheapest guaranteed option was going to be the solo... I only have a budget of £100 at the moment so if I could hold the PM for a little while until I get few more pennies together... (within the next couple of months)..

Unless anyone can confirm that the qbox hd mini has no issues playing recorded files from a vu duo. I am not gonna go the clone route... I will just wait a little longer, its not worth the hassle.

Make a post in the Qbox section asking.

barrysat
26-02-11, 15:19
hi m8

get a spiderbox hd9000,
simple to load its a dodle,

Sicilian
27-02-11, 01:32
hi m8

get a spiderbox hd9000,
simple to load its a dodle,

Read the op's post, he wants to use network mounts ;)

roma
18-04-11, 09:26
Guys I'm a newbie - what counts as a clone and what is an original? Am I correct to assume that all the boxes sold on world of sat are not clones?

world-of-satellite.co.uk
18-04-11, 09:34
Guys I'm a newbie - what counts as a clone and what is an original? Am I correct to assume that all the boxes sold on world of sat are not clones?

This is correct, we only sell genuine receivers. All our receivers come from official sources and have full manufacturers warranty.

roma
18-04-11, 10:02
What is the difference between a foxsat HDR and a TM800. Trying to decide between the two, if picture quality is comparable and EPG etc I will go with the TM800 incase I decide in the future to make use of LINUX.

Do you have a better receiver for the same money without linux?

world-of-satellite.co.uk
18-04-11, 10:21
What is the difference between a foxsat HDR and a TM800. Trying to decide between the two, if picture quality is comparable and EPG etc I will go with the TM800 incase I decide in the future to make use of LINUX.

Do you have a better receiver for the same money without linux?

If i'm honest this is a difficult question to answer as we have no experiance with a Foxsat HDR. I can say though the picture quality is fantastic on the TM800 and you have the option of installing a internal SATA HDD. There are EPG plugins availble for a good EPG.

roma
18-04-11, 14:41
Just to confirm, can I record satellite with the TM800? I.e. other than freesat and freeview.

world-of-satellite.co.uk
18-04-11, 14:46
Just to confirm, can I record satellite with the TM800? I.e. other than freesat and freeview.

Provided you have somekind of valid subscription and you install a HDD.

roma
18-04-11, 23:55
So if the channel is FTA I can record?
Thanks.

Larry-G
19-04-11, 00:00
as long as you can watch the channel you can record it.

roma
19-04-11, 13:09
Thanks all.

Can't decide between tm800 and tm5402. Are there any deciding factors if not immediately interested in card sharing?

pooface
19-04-11, 13:22
Thanks all.

Can't decide between tm800 and tm5402. Are there any deciding factors if not immediately interested in card sharing?

We are not allowed to talk about cs in here...

THe main differences between tm800 and tm5402 are one is linux, the other is not...

Depending on how competant you are with computers might help influence your decision...

With the tm800, a lot more computer knowledge will be expected, where as the tm5402 is more a plug n play type box...

silverfox0786
19-04-11, 16:37
We are not allowed to talk about cs in here...

THe main differences between tm800 and tm5402 are one is linux, the other is not...

Depending on how competant you are with computers might help influence your decision...

With the tm800, a lot more computer knowledge will be expected, where as the tm5402 is more a plug n play type box...

btw what the bouquets front on the non linux box

roma
20-04-11, 06:28
WHat about the blade 7000?

How does this compare to the 5402? It is similarly priced (exactly the same price as it goes).

world-of-satellite.co.uk
20-04-11, 06:41
WHat about the blade 7000?

How does this compare to the 5402? It is similarly priced (exactly the same price as it goes).

They are more or less the same receiver. The Blade is sort of based on the successful TM-5402. We sell the TM-5402HD for £145 and the Blade BM7000s for £149.

You really need to decide if your looking for a Linux or Non-Linux receiver.

roma
20-04-11, 21:00
Is the TM5402 the same box as the tm800 minus the linux? I.e. in terms of PVR, picture and epg? Do I lose anything notwithstanding the linux capablity if I go with the 5402?

pooface
20-04-11, 21:04
Not owning or having a play with either box, I can't give you much proper info ...

But, I can tell you that no, they aren't the same box... The tm5402 is a satellite box which isn't very customisable at all really. Think of it more like a plug n play box. The tm800 is much more customisable ... edit the skins, add plugins to the box, change the way it works completely...

Also, afaik, in regards to recording, they also work differently. The tm5402 requires a usb drive for the recordings ... this will always be external to the box. The tm800 can have a sata hdd installed in to the box (I think, but not 100% sure :p), so is stand-alone in regards to recording. It can also have a usb hdd if you so wish ;)

Stanman
21-04-11, 10:19
The tm800 can use a 2.5 sata hdd internally but i would avoid it as a first linux box. If i was u i would look at the solo, much better box and with the vix image just as good as a provider box and 1000% more versatile.

roma
22-04-11, 15:00
ok have decided that I want a plug n play type box. HD with PVR and egp where possible.

Ease of use and easy to use pvr is what Im after at the moment. Is the 5402 the best option here? Or is there anything else to consider? No need for linux.

Stanman
22-04-11, 15:05
Roma, I would still recommend the SOLO, with the VIX image it really is a doddle to use, so much so that my wife can use it, set up recordings etc no problem.
What I have found with LINUX boxes is its the image that makes or breaks them and AndyB has done a really great job with the VIX image, it has everything that the normal user wants preinstalled so that you can set up recordings with ease and play them back just as easily. EPG import is fantastic with the integrated crossEPG.
I would whole heartily recommend the SOLO or even the UNO - but that depends on release date.
Personally speaking I would not consider a closed source box - but thats just me.

roma
27-04-11, 00:57
Thanks Stanman, but it's a bit over the old budget. Looks fab though!