PDA

View Full Version : Tuner A or B

gedwal
26-04-24, 20:23
Apologies if this question has been queried.
Having given up with Sky Q because of cost I'm in the throws of purchasing my first satellite receiver. Because I want 4K and FBC tuners my option will most
likely be a Gigablue UHD UE 4K. I have gone with FBC tuners because I shall need multi channel recording.
My main question is if I'm using a Unicable 2 LNB with single output do I connect to tuner A or B.
This all still new to me but I'm slowly learning and gaining advise from the experienced members of this forum and DigitalworldZ.
I look forward to any comments to this question and further advice from members that already own this receiver.
I have been advised to use the Openvix operating system so I'm currently studying the manual to help when my coming purchase eventually arrives.
Thanks to all

Morini
26-04-24, 21:51
Apologies if this question has been queried.
Having given up with Sky Q because of cost I'm in the throws of purchasing my first satellite receiver. Because I want 4K and FBC tuners my option will most
likely be a Gigablue UHD UE 4K. I have gone with FBC tuners because I shall need multi channel recording.
My main question is if I'm using a Unicable 2 LNB with single output do I connect to tuner A or B.
This all still new to me but I'm slowly learning and gaining advise from the experienced members of this forum and DigitalworldZ.
I look forward to any comments to this question and further advice from members that already own this receiver.
I have been advised to use the Openvix operating system so I'm currently studying the manual to help when my coming purchase eventually arrives.
Thanks to all

I don't think it really matters which tuner you use. If you are only connecting to 28.2E and you have a unicable 2 LNB then just connect the coax from the LNB to tuner A and set all the other tuners up as "connected to tuner A". There are useful posts on here on how to do it (you need each one on its own SCR frequency). Look for the guide by Abu on here, got me up and running first time.

In my case (with a gigablue ue4k) I have tuner A connected to a unicable 2 lnb with tuners C - H connected to tuner A, each on their own SCR. Tuner B is connected to two "legacy" LNB's (via a diseqc switch) pointing at 19.2E / 13E . You only need to use the second tuner connection if you want to use satellites other than 28.2E. Plenty of useful info on here and the contributors are very helpful if you run into trouble. It was pretty straight forward getting my receiver working using the advice available on this site.

abu baniaz
27-04-24, 08:31
It does not matter which one you use.

If the signal wire is hooked up to A, all the other tuners must select tuner A as the one through which they are connected. If you decide to use B, then all the other tuners must be set as they are connected through B.

That being said, I would use A as it is fewer remote pushes when configuring the tuners

gedwal
27-04-24, 18:17
Thanks all and I shall certainly check on Abu's article on setting the box up when I purchase it. Starting to look forward to the challenges.

abu baniaz
27-04-24, 20:17
Unicable section is here:
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?574-UniCable-Support-Discusson

Vix guide section is here
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?301

gedwal
03-05-24, 18:21
Hi everybody, I'm looking at the Gigablue UHD UE 4K. I know it requires a 2.5" HDD or SDD but can anybody let me know what thickness 9.5mm or 7mm or will it take either.
Thanks in advance

twol
03-05-24, 18:58
Hi everybody, I'm looking at the Gigablue UHD UE 4K. I know it requires a 2.5" HDD or SDD but can anybody let me know what thickness 9.5mm or 7mm or will it take either.
Thanks in advance

Just did a check on what I installed on my box and its 7mm

Morini
03-05-24, 19:01
Thanks in advance

I don't think the thickness will matter really. I just put in a 2.5" SSD I had lying around doing nothing (Western Digital WDS500G2B0A). It only holds timeshift and 2 days of recordings anyway, anything older than two days gets copied to NAS.

For fitting it, see post 6 -> https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?66477-Small-rubber-square-in-Gigablue-UHD-UE-4K-box as it wasn't immediately obvious to me (I was expecting some sort of bracket or "cage").

gedwal
03-05-24, 19:23
Thanks for that both but Morini mention recordings getting stored to NAS, that's a term I've not encountered with satellite receivers or computers. Explanation would be welcome and why would the recordings not stay on the drive.

Morini
03-05-24, 20:26
Thanks for that both but Morini mention recordings getting stored to NAS, that's a term I've not encountered with satellite receivers or computers. Explanation would be welcome and why would the recordings not stay on the drive.

Nothing wrong with recording to the local drive on the machine and if that works for you then by all means stick with that approach. But the benefits of using such a configurable, open system is it allows you to be more flexible than you could be with (say) Sky DVRs. If you have a NAS (Network Attached Storage) available on your network or any other network share (even Samba share maybe?) then you can either record directly to the network share or record to a local disk and have a scheduled task to copy / move recordings to the network storage. It is then simple to access these recording from any other devices.

I only had a small 500GB SSD available to put in my receiver, so rather than fork out for a larger one I just NFS mount a dataset on my NAS and move anything I want to keep longer term over to that. There are many ways to go about it, a NAS works best for me with the other devices I have on my network. Do what works best for you.

gedwal
03-05-24, 20:40
Thanks Morini, the world of satellite receivers is still a learning curve for me. I am sure with the help of the OpenVix manual and help for from you guys I shall get up and running and learn as I go along.

gedwal
11-05-24, 21:37
Hi everyone, tomorrow I plan to set up my newly purchased Gigablue UHD UE. It arrived from World of Satellite with Openvix installed. Does Openvix have its own EPG or will I have to set up a custom one. If any one feels there is any thing, with setting up of this box, I should be aware of I shall be grateful for comments.

abu baniaz
12-05-24, 08:00
When you sent me a PM I responded with links to a topic on difference between EPG and bouquets/channel lists. Please read it, it will make things easier once you accept/distinguish the two.

ViX does not come withs it's own bouquet list. AutoBouquetsMaker plugin is pre-installed and will make your channel lists very similar to an official receiver.

In the other EPG section, there is a stuck thread on how to obtain EPG ( what Sky calls Synopsis), the event details, what programs are on.

gedwal
13-05-24, 17:19
Hi all, I'm looking at Dreamset but how do I install it to my Gigablue UHD. Do I need internet connection or can I save the Zip to a memory stick and install from there or does it need to be unzipped first. Please bare in mind I'm still very new to this sat rx venture so any advice will be welcome. I've managed to get the box up and running, done a channel scan and using the Openvix Magic skin. Before I start experimenting further can someone advice how to save the settings I have, and how do I save Bouquets. Have looked for folders on hard drive but nothing obvious, do I have to set up my own folders as I would with a PC.

abu baniaz
13-05-24, 17:34
Dreamset is a program for manipulating bouquets/channel lists. It is installed on the PC, not receiver. It communicates with receiver over the local network.

Until you get your preferred channel list configured, please use AutoBouquetsMaker (ABM). Do not not manually edit bouquets created by ABM. If you want to manually edit them, hijack them first.

Make a settings backup using Backup Manager before you start playing around. You can the restore using backup manager if it goes wrong.
Alternatively, as your receiver has hardware multiboot, have one image for main usage and another for trialling.

In response to your query about wi-fi device, there is no specific one. The important thing is to install the correct drivers for the wi-fi device you purchase. Homeplugs are the better option if you can.

abu baniaz
13-05-24, 18:26
Found this on sponsor's site:
https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/300mbps-usb-wifi-adapter-linux-enigma-2-suitable

gedwal
13-05-24, 19:11
I have just noticed that after doing first scan on my Gigablue UHD I had selected incorrect TV region. Tried to correct issue by doing a re-scan and now getting ERROR - Failed to scan (error starting scan) message. Help will be welcomed.

gedwal
14-05-24, 10:47
Hi all,
After recently doing a channel scan on Gigablue uhd I noticed I had chosen the incorrect regional TV areas. Have done a re-scan revising the regions but now realise I don't have the local channels like news and weather. Unable to find any way to set this in ABM providers settings. Look forward to advice any can offer.

abu baniaz
14-05-24, 12:43
You just set the region/Area in ABM. It is the second line after the provider. You press right/left to move between them. In attached screenshot, I am using London SD with custom option. You can also press the filelist/recordings button to open the list.

Please post a picture/screenshot of your ABM settings or better still upload the debug log. Otherwise it is big guessing game. See this thread:
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?44783-Please-read-before-raising-ABM-support-questions

Guide to screenshots and uploading is here:
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?44054-How-to-take-screen-shots-How-to-attach-files

gedwal
14-05-24, 21:54
Thanks for Abu that but I have to apologise for asking an unnecessary question. Having listened to my wife I reported the absence of a regional channel. It transpires the channel was and is there and everything seems to be working as expected. I shall take more care before pestering members about non existent problems.
In the meantime I've noticed on the Astra 28.2 channel list several items I had when using Sky Q. These are FTA channels but show as manual tuning. It shows what I believe to be the transponder to select, one I'm looking at is 11582 H 22000 5/6. Can these be added to the ABM scan I did earlier today or do I need to use Dreambox or something similar.
Once again I apologise for wasting your time and that of any members considering my question.

abu baniaz
15-05-24, 00:50
Can you please post the options you are using in ABM. I would recommend that you enable the not-indexed option and using Sky instead of Freesat. Any test/unofficial channels will come up in the not-indexed bouquet. You can add them into your non-abm bouquets if you want.

I have tried scanning that 11582 transponder, it is not a listed transponder on the xml file, so you have to use the user specified transponder and manually enter the details, there were no channels found. I checked Lyngsat, there are no channels listed on that transponder. If you are allowed to say the name of the channel, maybe we can have better luck? It may have moved to a different transponder.