PDA

View Full Version : Intermitting fault with a new ssd

wullboy
23-02-11, 18:56
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys, Ive just bought a 160 ssd hard drive for my dell laptop, now Ive got windows 7 installed on it and i have it up and running, but sometimes it does not see the hard drive when starting up, i go into the bio and change from hhd to cd/dvd drive, then it will boot up, but then when i go for a re-boot, it does the same again, it does not see the hard drive, so i go back into the bios just to change the boot up back to the hhd drive and it will boot up, and run with no problems, it seems that most of the time it does not see the new ssd hard drive, and if i go into the bios and change to any boot up whether it be disk or usb or the hard drive it struggles to see the ssd hard drive and will not boot. Should i have formatted the new ssd hard drive before i installed windows 7 on it, or is there something i need to configure within the laptop, as i do not think there is any thing wrong with the new ssh hard disk as it runs ok when i get the laptop running, im running a dell xps M1710with windows 7 64 bit, Cheers......

silverfox0786
24-02-11, 00:51
best thing speak t dell and get them to talk you through the bios settings for yr machine

wullboy
24-02-11, 11:13
phone dell and have now bought a compatable ssd for my laptop, i should have done this first, as they sell them a bit cheaper than the norm, Thanks silverfox...

silverfox0786
24-02-11, 11:16
yr welcome mate glad you got it sorted