PDA

View Full Version : Will the new Freely affect how OpenTV works?

thecaretaker
11-01-24, 09:34
I've just read this article about Freely (https://rxtvinfo.com/2024/all-in-one-tv-how-freeview-replacement-freely-will-work) and wondered how this will affect how our EPG will work when it replaces Freeview and Freesat. I assume Freesat will continue for some time, but I guess it's days are numbered.

It says "The new TV guide will cater for terrestrial, satellite and IP-delivered channels, so viewers can benefit from much more choice".

Any thoughts?

Huevos
11-01-24, 11:50
OpenTV is for Sky UK, not Freesat/Freeview.

Joe_90
11-01-24, 14:06
I've just read this article about Freely (https://rxtvinfo.com/2024/all-in-one-tv-how-freeview-replacement-freely-will-work) and wondered how this will affect how our EPG will work when it replaces Freeview and Freesat. I assume Freesat will continue for some time, but I guess it's days are numbered.

It says "The new TV guide will cater for terrestrial, satellite and IP-delivered channels, so viewers can benefit from much more choice".

Any thoughts?

From reading the article you linked it would appear that this "Freely" service is in addition to the existing Freeview/Freesat services and is not compatible with current TV/commercial box firmware as regards EPG capture. Don't think the existing EPG services will disappear anytime soon.

adm
11-01-24, 15:14
From reading the article you linked it would appear that this "Freely" service is in addition to the existing Freeview/Freesat services and is not compatible with current TV/commercial box firmware as regards EPG capture. Don't think the existing EPG services will disappear anytime soon.

Possibly too many TVs that will never be updated with new firmware for the existing EPG mechanism to be dropped. TV manufacturers tend to abandon additional software/firmware updates after a few years after a model goes on sale.

Joe_90
11-01-24, 16:25
Possibly too many TVs that will never be updated with new firmware for the existing EPG mechanism to be dropped. TV manufacturers tend to abandon additional software/firmware updates after a few years after a model goes on sale.

I agree - there have been several tactical errors in the rollout of digital TV in the UK, starting with DVB-T/T2 for SD/HD services, requiring early adopters to change hardware. More recently, the migration off SD transponders on satellite (e.g. to HD-only services on ITV and BBC) is leaving some viewers with a requirement to change receivers again. I'm just wondering whether this EPG overhaul will actually happen? Our (OpenVix) users are probably best positioned to be able to use the new EPG, though :D

thecaretaker
12-01-24, 02:00
OpenTV is for Sky UK, not Freesat/Freeview.

That's true I guess. But even Sky are leaning towards dropping satellite broadcasts in favor of online streaming.