PDA

View Full Version : Timer Failure

plusser
23-02-11, 13:25
Hi.
Trying new Vix Image.
A few of my preset timers failed - Clock is OK, timer is set OK - any ideas?
I turned box off and on, then switched to correct channel and then the recording started (was due to come on at 23:10 and time was 23:15).
I never noticed this problem with any other image before (normally use original image).

+er

Sicilian
23-02-11, 14:13
Have you run latest updates?

plusser
23-02-11, 14:34
Have you run latest updates?

No - I was under impression latest image would include them - obviously wrong.
I have found Software Manager > Software Updates and running it now (presumably this is what you are referrinf to?).
Will report back in a few days to see if problem is resolved.
Thanks for your help.
+er

PS. out of interest - does original image also have this "latest update" facility?

Stanman
23-02-11, 14:58
The updates are changes to the code since the image was released. It is always a good idea to do updates whenever you install a image. Think of it like Windows update.

plusser
25-02-11, 14:08
As promised, some feedback:
I did all the online updates and first night timer worked perfect. I was watching one channel and got on-screen display telling me auto-channel switch to record timer - perfect!
Unfortunately, last night I was watching a channel past timer due start and nothing happened. After 5 mins I switched to the timer channel and it started to record instantly.
I am using VIX 2 (never had this proiblem with original image).
+er

beagooner
25-02-11, 21:01
As promised, some feedback:
I did all the online updates and first night timer worked perfect. I was watching one channel and got on-screen display telling me auto-channel switch to record timer - perfect!
Unfortunately, last night I was watching a channel past timer due start and nothing happened. After 5 mins I switched to the timer channel and it started to record instantly.
I am using VIX 2 (never had this proiblem with original image).
+er

You are not alone with this problem, however in my case this only happens when the timer is on a different satellite to the one I'm watching. It would be interesting to see what the experts make of this!

plusser
26-02-11, 11:57
You are not alone with this problem, however in my case this only happens when the timer is on a different satellite to the one I'm watching. It would be interesting to see what the experts make of this!

It's nice to know I am not the only one affected by this!
Are you also on VIX 2.0 and did you ever notice the problem with the old image?

+er

plusser
28-02-11, 11:28
Latest update: I tried latest OpenPLI image and the problem is identical - last night no switchover, but manually changed channel to the timed event - bingo! started to record immediately.
Just wondering if the problem might be to do with the fact that I am watching a UK (Eurobird) channel and trying to record a European (Hotbird) channel, so time zone is different?
But I would assume the satellites all keep time in GMT?
+er

beagooner
01-03-11, 16:31
Latest update: I tried latest OpenPLI image and the problem is identical - last night no switchover, but manually changed channel to the timed event - bingo! started to record immediately.
Just wondering if the problem might be to do with the fact that I am watching a UK (Eurobird) channel and trying to record a European (Hotbird) channel, so time zone is different?
But I would assume the satellites all keep time in GMT?
+er
Not too sure if that is the reason as the duo automatically switched to the correct channel irrespective of satellite in the past. I had this problem on ViX 1.3 and 2.0 (with updates) but do not recall having the same problem with Vix 1.2 or lower!