PDA

View Full Version : Box not working after power cut.

goral
28-10-23, 11:28
Hi
After a power interruption, the box refuses to switch on.
The white button on the front just flickers. Display black, no network connection.
Is this the end of my VU+ uno 4k SE or is there a chance to reactivate it?
Thanks.

cactikid
28-10-23, 13:39
Try unplugging it for 10 mins after you powered it down and retry?

Might you have another power supply to check?

adm
28-10-23, 13:46

+1
After a power cut often the mains doesn't come on cleanly. Removing the power completely for a few minutes and then switching it back on gives the box cold boot. Just pressing the on button on the front panel doesn't necessarily reset the box.

adm
28-10-23, 13:46

+1
After a power cut often the mains doesn't come on cleanly. Removing the power completely for a few minutes and then switching it back on gives the box cold boot. Just pressing the on button on the front panel doesn't necessarily reset the box.

goral
28-10-23, 14:14
I've tried the switch on the back on and off several times, but it doesn't help.
I have disconnected the power (power cable) from the receiver I will switch on in 30 minutes. Maybe this will help.
If not, does that mean the receiver is gone?

adm
28-10-23, 14:33
I've tried the switch on the back on and off several times, but it doesn't help.
I have disconnected the power (power cable) from the receiver I will switch on in 30 minutes. Maybe this will help.

Around 5 minutes should be enough. You just have to leave the box long enough for all the internal power supplies to discharge, something that doesn't happen when the box is in standby or deep standby.

If not, does that mean the receiver is gone?

If the box lost power while hard disk or usb stick was being written to it could have corrupted the data.

If after the power off doesn't work:
Try a USB flash of the image.
Try disconnecting hard disks.

file:///C:/Users/alan/Downloads/How%20to%20flash%20a%20VU+%20Uno4K%20SE.pdf

On these boxes the image is stored in flash memory and to boot don't need a hard disk or usb sticks etc. Flash memories have a secure area which can be protected and possibly this is where the code to allow a re-flash lives, hence you may/will be able to recover some corruption with a USB flash.

goral
28-10-23, 14:49
Around 5 minutes should be enough. You just have to leave the box long enough for all the internal power supplies to discharge, something that doesn't happen when the box is in standby or deep standby.

If the box lost power while hard disk or usb stick was being written to it could have corrupted the data.

If after the power off doesn't work:
Try a USB flash of the image.
Try disconnecting hard disks.

file:///C:/Users/alan/Downloads/How%20to%20flash%20a%20VU+%20Uno4K%20SE.pdf

On these boxes the image is stored in flash memory and to boot don't need a hard disk or usb sticks etc. Flash memories have a secure area which can be protected and possibly this is where the code to allow a re-flash lives, hence you may/will be able to recover some corruption with a USB flash.

I'll try, unfortunately I'm not at home at the moment.
So it will probably take time.
How can I do the flash, as the white button on the front that I have to hold down as I turn it on does not respond and only flickers.
Is there any other way to trigger the flash?

adm
28-10-23, 15:12
I'll try, unfortunately I'm not at home at the moment.
So it will probably take time.
How can I do the flash, as the white button on the front that I have to hold down as I turn it on does not respond and only flickers.
Is there any other way to trigger the flash?

Usually to trigger a re-flash from a usb stick is to remove all USB devices except the one with the image to flash on it (best to put it in a USB socket on the back panel). Switch off at the mains or via a back panel on/off switch, leave for a couple of minutes, and then switch back on.

goral
28-10-23, 17:20
it actually works! I took the power cable out a while ago, now put it in, turned on the switch and boom! It booted up!
Thank You.