PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] Subtitles Problem

Willo3092
03-09-23, 20:01
I've had this issue for a long while but only just got round to trying to find out what the problem is.

If I play a downloaded mkv file with subtitles, I have to toggle subtitles on, then off, then on again before they start working.
It doesn't make any difference if the subtitles are embedded or an external srt, it's still the same.

If I use ServiceExtEplayer3 (serviceapp) then everything works as expected, it's only on the default player.

As an experiment I installed ATV 7.3 on a spare partition and removed the enhanced Movie Player to use the default player and subtitles also displayed as expected.

It's not just one file, it is the same on any download with subtitles.
I like to know what the Americans are saying, as they all seem to mutter.

Huevos
03-09-23, 22:06
Can you check on pli?

Willo3092
03-09-23, 22:12
I can give it a go tomorrow if they do an image for the ax61.

twol
04-09-23, 06:27
I can give it a go tomorrow if they do an image for the ax61.

Can you post your audio settings and maybe a mkv so that we can test?
My biggest issue is normally turning sub titles off……

Willo3092
04-09-23, 13:28
Unfortunately, there is no Pli image for my AX61.

To negate my settings, I have flashed ViX 6.4.005.007 without restoring settings.
All I have changed is, installed samba, setup mounts to access my NAS movies and allocated the yellow button to subtitle selection.

I have also copied the mkv to /media/hdd/movie/ to negate the NAS.

Still the same problem. I have to toggle subtitles on, off and back on again before they will display.
This is on both, embedded and external srt files.

It's not a new problem, this has been happening for at least a year.
I think the mkv files would be too big to upload, and probably in breach of copyright.
I don't seem to be able to take a small clip from the mkv and retain the subtitles for some reason.

twol
04-09-23, 14:54
Unfortunately, there is no Pli image for my AX61.

To negate my settings, I have flashed ViX 6.4.005.007 without restoring settings.
All I have changed is, installed samba, setup mounts to access my NAS movies and allocated the yellow button to subtitle selection.

I have also copied the mkv to /media/hdd/movie/ to negate the NAS.

Still the same problem. I have to toggle subtitles on, off and back on again before they will display.
This is on both, embedded and external srt files.

It's not a new problem, this has been happening for at least a year.
I think the mkv files would be too big to upload, and probably in breach of copyright.
I don't seem to be able to take a small clip from the mkv and retain the subtitles for some reason.

how do you toggle the sub title setting?

Willo3092
04-09-23, 16:28
how do you toggle the sub title setting?

I just press the yellow button to bring up the subtitle selection box and press OK on the required subtitle.

EDIT:

I just changed the yellow button to 'toggle default subtitles' and it just freezes playback.
Is it only for live TV?

twol
05-09-23, 07:26
I just press the yellow button to bring up the subtitle selection box and press OK on the required subtitle.

EDIT:

I just changed the yellow button to 'toggle default subtitles' and it just freezes playback.
Is it only for live TV?
I am assuming this is on all your boxes?
Not sure why you are using Yellow button - obviously set by you ?
So what happens when you push the subtitles button or audio and sub title top of list?? Or don't you see anything listed?

Willo3092
05-09-23, 16:28
Sorry I've been at work. All my remotes are 3rd party all4one 6440's without a subtitle button.
I've always used a button programmed to show the 'subtitle selection' screen.
Just choose a subtitle and press OK and subtitles used to play. (a little x appears next to the selected subtitle).

If I change the button allocation to 'toggle default subtitle' I get a message box saying 'subtitles on' but no subtitles show.
If I then toggle off and then back on again it works and I get subtitles.

I've now dug out the original remote and it's still the same using that.

twol
05-09-23, 17:04
Sorry I've been at work. All my remotes are 3rd party all4one 6440's without a subtitle button.
I've always used a button programmed to show the 'subtitle selection' screen.
Just choose a subtitle and press OK and subtitles used to play. (a little x appears next to the selected subtitle).

If I change the button allocation to 'toggle default subtitle' I get a message box saying 'subtitles on' but no subtitles show.
If I then toggle off and then back on again it works and I get subtitles.

I've now dug out the original remote and it's still the same using that.

So are we talking Vu+ or ?.
I need to play around as usually I am turning them off and that works fine…..

Willo3092
05-09-23, 18:18
It's an AX61 but the same on GBUE4K, Zgemma H9 Twin and SF8008.
It's not sat broadcasts, just playing downloaded media, usually .mkv with either embedded or external srt subtitles.

twol
05-09-23, 18:43
It's an AX61 but the same on GBUE4K, Zgemma H9 Twin and SF8008.
It's not sat broadcasts, just playing downloaded media, usually .mkv with either embedded or external srt subtitles.

Will try on a few boxes with ,mkv,s

Willo3092
06-09-23, 21:52
I've been experimenting, and it's the same with mp4 files and srt subtitles, using the AX61 remote.

First press of subtitle button brings up the subtitle selection box.

Press OK on selected subtitle and the subtitle selection box closes but no subtitles displaying.

Press subtitle button again and the subtitle selection box opens and there is an x next to the srt file to show it is the active subtitle.

Select the srt file and press OK to clear the selection and the subtitle selection box closes.

Press the subtitle button again and the subtitle selection box opens.

Press OK on the selected subtitle srt file and the subtitle selection box closes and subtitles finally start working.

I can't remember how long ago it was since this started happening but it may have been as long ago as when ViX moved to py3.

twol
07-09-23, 07:21
I've been experimenting, and it's the same with mp4 files and srt subtitles, using the AX61 remote.

First press of subtitle button brings up the subtitle selection box.

Press OK on selected subtitle and the subtitle selection box closes but no subtitles displaying.

Press subtitle button again and the subtitle selection box opens and there is an x next to the srt file to show it is the active subtitle.

Select the srt file and press OK to clear the selection and the subtitle selection box closes.

Press the subtitle button again and the subtitle selection box opens.

Press OK on the selected subtitle srt file and the subtitle selection box closes and subtitles finally start working.

I can't remember how long ago it was since this started happening but it may have been as long ago as when ViX moved to py3.

went through my movies (English, USA, German) yesterday, and none of them had sub titles I could test on --- I guess I stripped most of them out at the time:
So I really would like a test file if at all possible ...... this area of code has been changed numerous times since py3. You can PM a download link if that helps

Willo3092
07-09-23, 11:12
went through my movies (English, USA, German) yesterday, and none of them had sub titles I could test on --- I guess I stripped most of them out at the time:
So I really would like a test file if at all possible ...... this area of code has been changed numerous times since py3. You can PM a download link if that helps

Will do :thumbsup: I'm at work at the moment.

twol
08-09-23, 14:27
OK ran your video on 3 boxes.
VuUno4KSE -> OK
GBUE4K -> OK
HD61 - no go at all

So its the ServiceHiSilicon routine - if I remove it from the HD61, it then runs perfectly using servicemp3. (Yes, you really don't need the servicehisilicon routine)
Can you confirm that ATV runs OK as they have changes to the sub title support - and I will look at integrating

twol
08-09-23, 15:16
@Willo3092 - so i applied the ATV commits and ran a HD61 build - once enabled sub titles run fine on that video.

Will commit over the weekend after some more tests

Willo3092
08-09-23, 15:37
Yes subtitles are absolutely fine on ATV. Thanks for taking the time and sorting it out for me @twol :thumbsup: