PDA

View Full Version : Is there a simple way open streams from OpenWebif on Android with media player?

EckyH
19-07-23, 20:13
Hello,

for two days I'm searching for a simple solution to open a stream from the OpenViX on an Android device.

Receiver: VU+ Ultimo 4K
OpenViX: 6.3.007 (2023-04-04), OpenWebif 2.0.6

Mobile: Motorola G100
Android: 13 (LineageOS 20-20230715-NIGHTLY-nio)

Browser: Fennec F-Droid 115.0.0
Mediaplayer: VLC for Android 3.5.4

Background: I'd like to enable my mother to watch TV on her Android tablet.

When I access the OpenWebif with Fennec I can access both stream versions ("normal" and transcoded), but Fennec tells me "No video with supported format and MIME type found."
As far as I know that message is from the internal HTML5 video player.
If I copy the transcoded stream URL into the "New stream" input form of VLC, the stream plays like a charm.
Basically the whole thing works, but that process isn't suitable for my mother (and tbh that process is annoying for me).

So the question is: Is there a solution to convince Fennec to open a media player for that stream URLs?

I've searched the whole settings of Android, Fennec and VLC but nowhere seems to be a place where I can add the m3u or m3u8 MIME type and VLC (or another media player) as the default handler for that.
The reference documentation and wikis for Fennec and VLC were no help and my search for Android led only to app developer information.

Thank you in advance.

E.

birdman
19-07-23, 22:33
Try the DreamDroid App.
Works for me...

EckyH
20-07-23, 20:35
Try the DreamDroid App.
Been there, done that.

It works.
Like a charm.
That's so marvellous!

Thank you very, very, very much. :)
To write that I'm excited is grossly understated.

E.