PDA

View Full Version : [GiGaBlue UHD UE 4K] Recording problem

avalon65
14-05-23, 09:30
My receiver came with twin satellite tuners, and twin terrestrial tv tuners so I could record 3 programs and watch another program . This has worked well , but more recently ince I flashed the receiver with the latest image , the receiver doesn't see the twin TV tuners, and will only record 1 program if we want to watch another.
I have checked the cable connections, unplugged and replugged , also checked the settings so that the local tv transmitter is selected, it wasn't after the initial image upgrade.

I don't know what else to do or check in the tuner settings.
Help please

abu baniaz
14-05-23, 13:25
Post a picture /screenshot if the following page:
Menu, Information, Devices

And also screenshots of all the 10 tuner configuration pages.

avalon65
14-05-23, 16:45
As requested, screenshots:

abu baniaz
14-05-23, 17:16
It would have been better to right click and save the screenshot. They are not very clear and we have to zoom in. Please bear in mind for future screenshot requests.

Your first picture shows Tuners I&J are present.

Tuner I. You have enabled both Terrestrial and Cable (Virgin). Best to disable the Cable one.
Tuner J. You have enabled both Terrestrial and Cable (Virgin). Best to disable the Cable one.

Q1. For your satellite tuners, are you using a Unicable LNB or Universal LNB?
Q2. When you scan for Emley Moor, do you get all the channels?
Q3. Is your problem for satellite channels or Terrestrial channels
Q4. How are you making your bouquets? Are you using AutoBoquetsMaker?

I would recommend:
In ABM, you enable the option to "Add provider name to bouquets" It will allow you to easily distinguish between Terrestrial and Satellite bouquets
In the Channel selection menu, enable "Show service type icons"

cactikid
14-05-23, 17:24
Yes i could not make it out either as it needs to be seen more clearly

avalon65
14-05-23, 18:06
oops, yes , Sorry about that I didn't realise how they would turn out .Doh!
I'll do them again by right click you want me to

For Q1, All I know that it is 1 LNB with 2 cables attached
For Q2, yes I get all channels as far as I am aware
For Q3, I'm not sure either way , but probably just Terrestrial channels
For Q4, Yes I am or did use Autobiographer

I have already added provider name, ie Service name. I have service number, then picon, then service name, eg 101 BBC One
Yes already showing services type icons.

Thanks

abu baniaz
14-05-23, 18:31
Terrestrial channels are those that you get from an aerial. You can access two Terrestrial frequencies on your hardware setup. With one tuner, you can record BBC one HD, BBC 2 HD, itv 1 HD, channel 4 HD, channel 5 HD.

Please enable the options I suggested to remove any confusion as to whether you are selecting Terrestrial or Satellite channels.

There is a bug with the FBC tuners and using universal LNBs. You get conflict warnings when you can actually select services.

avalon65
14-05-23, 18:48
Yes I am aware that you get terrestrial channels from a TV aerial.
The receiver does have twin satellite tuner as well a twin TV tuners.

I have changed what need to be changed , ie Disabled cable for both Tuner I and J

Pardon me for asking this, but how do I know if I am selecting Terrestrial or Satellite channels.

Thanks

abu baniaz
14-05-23, 18:55
Yes I am aware that you get terrestrial channels from a TV aerial.

Okay, thanks for confirming. Some people think BBC1, 2, ITV1, CH 4 and Ch 5 on satellite are Terrestrial channels. I am glad you don't fall into this.

Pardon me for asking this, but how do I know if I am selecting Terrestrial or Satellite channels.

That is why I suggested that you enabled the Service type icon in channel list menu and also add provider name to bouquet in ABM's menu. I should also add, ensure that you have Freeview above Sky in the ABM providers order. The bouquet ill be named to discern between Freeview and Sky. There will be little pictures next to the channel name, an aerial and a satellite.

avalon65
14-05-23, 19:19
Ok, I have enabled Freeview, Emly Moor for Terretrial TV channels, and moved it up above FreeSAT in provider order

Where do I enable the service type icon, a I can't see where to do it. I have Service name in Grid EPG,, but can't see where to add service type.

Thanks

abu baniaz
14-05-23, 20:47
Have you enabled "Add provider name to bouquets"? In ABM's configure menu. Be sure to run ABM again. This will make it so much easier for you to tell difference.

EDIT:
Picture with the bouquets. If the provider names are not added, you would not know whether you are accessing the Sky or Freeview bouquet.

In the Grid EPG, there isn't an option to show service type. But your bouquets should be named (hence previous advice). You would normally press the TV button to show bouquets. But the Gigablue has TV/Rad button which will get your system confused. Might be better to for you to enable the option "show bouquet on launch". That way you will choose the boquet. Just press menu when the grid EPG is open to show the menu options.

For the service type icons, activate the channel list by pressing up next to OK (nothing to do with Grid EPG or any of the EPG screens), then press menu, then menu again for configuration
Enable the "Show service type icons".

The arrow below shows the service type icons

avalon65
15-05-23, 09:05
Thanks for that, but when I enabled FreeView and set it above FreeSAT, then started a scan, I received and error message. It said it couldn't read the data for FreeView. Also before starting a scan, the FreeView channel list in the EPG was blank, which was to be expected I suppose. Then when I selected FreeSAT bouquet, the channel list started at 1001 instead of 101 for BBC One W.Yorks.
Have I missed something ?

Thanks

abu baniaz
15-05-23, 09:49
If you have two providers, they both can't start at 1. Unless you enable Alternate numbering. The idea is for you to use the Freeview more than Freesat. You will have fewer clashes. If this is not to your liking, please swap the provider order back, then run AutoBouquetsMaker again.

I am a bit puzzled about your comments about the error. You said you thought you get all the channels, so you should not be getting any errors. But you saying the Freesat bouquets start at 1001 implies ABM worked fine. Can you please check the Freeview bouquets and check if the channels work.

avalon65
15-05-23, 10:38
Oops, yes my error. I forgot to select the actual TV area under FreeView, but have done that now. I did another scan and although FreeViewUK was scanned and I have show service name selected, there doesn't appear to be any FreeView channels , unless they are duplicated and saved to just 1 . IE BBC One , x2 becomes just BBC One x1

I swapped the provider order so that it starts at 101 in the grid epg, and apart from checking recordings, it appears to be working fine.
Thank

abu baniaz
15-05-23, 10:49
Restart your receiver using menu and check again please. Post a clear screenshot of the bouquets.

avalon65
15-05-23, 15:51
List of bouquets
[
ATTACH=CONFIG]65408[/ATTACH]

Then when I select FreeView (UK)

abu baniaz
15-05-23, 16:38
Great work on screenshots. Nice and clear!

I am not understanding what the current problem is. The only issue I can see is that you do not have any EPG for the terrestrial channels. This is normal if you have not been on one for a while. Select the Freeview bouquet, select a channel and the EPG will be absorbed.

avalon65
15-05-23, 16:44
Thanks that did it by selecting a channel.

This what I see now:

I find that if I don't select 'Show Bouquets at launch' when I select the EPG it defaults to FreeView (UK), that is even after I last selected FreeSAT in the bouquet list when Show Bouquets at launch was enabled

abu baniaz
15-05-23, 17:28
You will generally be in the last bouquet/method you had selected. When in the Grid EPG, pressing the "FAV", "favourites" or "TV button" will show you the bouquets, you can then select one you want. < and > will go through the bouquets. Some remotes do not have the TV button and some remotes change function of remote so it controls the TV instead of Receiver.

There is coding/programming to do with "selecting channels". There is programming to do with "showing EPG". The "show EPG" programming sometimes loses focus. A large number of users always go to the EPG button for selecting channels even thouhg this is not the primary goal of those screens. In my opinion, better to use the channel selecting code to begin with, then go to grid EPG when you are more comfortable.

More reading here
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?63049-Bouquets-EPG-amp-Channel-navigation

Before you next run ABM, maybe you can disable the the FTA bouquet for Freeview. They are all FTA, the days of "ON Digital" are long gone!

avalon65
15-05-23, 18:04
Thanks, yes I have disabled the FTA bouquet for FreeView. The new remote I bought for the receiver has a TV and a TV/Rad button, and if I press either of those the remote doesn't work with the receiver and I have to pres the Giga button
I did press the said buttons to see what would happen, and one time it brought up the bouquet menu, but another time the TV/Rad button brought up a Favorite radio station, which didn't play, and I couldn't get back to a TV bouquet for what seemed like ages.

When you say to use the channel selecting code , is that the actual channel number like 101, 102 etc.

Thanks

abu baniaz
15-05-23, 18:10
When you say to use the channel selecting code , is that the actual channel number like 101, 102 etc.

What I am saying is: Don't use the EPG button for selecting channels until you are comfortable with navigating around.

With no menus showing, press the Up or Down button (next to OK on middle of remote). What do you see?

avalon65
15-05-23, 18:51
Aah, I know what you mean now. using the up / down button changes the channel or tv station. I sometimes also press the numbers for the channel if I know what they are, like 101, 102 etc

I see there is a FAV button on the OpenWebIf remote, but not one on the actual remote, and pressing the TV/Rad button is a nightmare to get back to the TV channel, as it brings up Favourite radio from user.bouquet.

Thanks

Joe_90
15-05-23, 20:43
Favourites can be selected by pressing BLUE after pressing the UP/DOWN button. The GIGA/TV/AUX/DVD buttons are for switching between different devices. It's a universal remote.

cactikid
15-05-23, 20:48
Tv / Radio button changes source from tv channels to radio .

Blue button while in your list of channels should be favourites ?

Look down on Webif page look at the blue button ?

abu baniaz
15-05-23, 21:33
The Context key is mapped to Favourites on the Gigablue 4 remotes

avalon65
16-05-23, 08:11
The remote I have is the GigaBlue V3 Remote.

The Blue button on the remote just brings up an extension window, ie Pleae choose an extensions, as does the Context button
Yellow button is EPG search and green is Timer list

Even after pressing the Up / Down button then pressing the Blue button does not bring up Favourites

I don't recall having to do any of this when I first got the receiver, apart from setting up FreeSAT and FreeView.

Thank anyway

cactikid
16-05-23, 11:14
Did you set up AutoBouquetsmaker ABM to use your Bouquets for channel choices i wonder?

Wonder if that is why you cant see it.

Joe_90
16-05-23, 12:05
BLUE button on its own (when in normal programme watching) does bring up the extension window. If you press UP/DOWN (to bring up the channel list) you should see the options listed at the bottom of the screen (BLUE for Favourites). These are favourites bouquets created by AutoBouquetsMaker as referenced by @cactikid in his reply. See my screenshots. In case of confusion in what you're seeing in my screenshots, my terrestrial (Saorview) and Freesat bouquets are combined, but named as "Freesat UK - Saorview", so I've shown the first two pages of my channel list. The bouquets list is shown when I press BLUE.

abu baniaz
16-05-23, 13:46
The GB3 remote should also have the Context menu mapped to favourites.

We are referring to the up/down next to okay in middle of remote. Please read the pdf in that thread I linked to if you need to. We are just repeating what is in there. (The only thing missing is button customisations.)

avalon65
16-05-23, 15:47
Did you set up AutoBouquetsmaker ABM to use your Bouquets for channel choices i wonder?

Wonder if that is why you cant see it.

Is there some setting in ABM for channel choices then?

cactikid
16-05-23, 18:40
Have you setup your ABM settings and location to use and scanned to bring up different sections

avalon65
16-05-23, 18:41
The GB3 remote should also have the Context menu mapped to favourites.

We are referring to the up/down next to okay in middle of remote. Please read the pdf in that thread I linked to if you need to. We are just repeating what is in there. (The only thing missing is button customisations.)

I have printed that pdf and will read through it in time.
The 2nd page says the same thing twice, is that intentional.

Thanks

abu baniaz
16-05-23, 18:59
I have printed that pdf and will read through it in time.
The 2nd page says the same thing twice, is that intentional.
Thanks
I am not seeing the duplication. If I have made an error, please post a screenshot and highlight it and I will endeavour to correct it.

avalon65
16-05-23, 19:54
It is only the text that is the same , as the 2 picture are different.

avalon65
16-05-23, 19:57
Have you setup your ABM settings and location to use and scanned to bring up different sections

If I knew how to I would do it, but in the meantime I will read the linked pdf

Out of curiosity I tried to map the BLUE button to the bouquets or favourites in Button Setup, but neither was showing up in the listing. It was the same listfor every button.

Joe_90
16-05-23, 20:08
If I knew how to I would do it, but in the meantime I will read the linked pdf

Out of curiosity I tried to map the BLUE button to the bouquets or favourites in Button Setup, but neither was showing up in the listing. It was the same listfor every button.

The ABM settings are pretty self-explanatory. You just choose your region (for satellite) and possibly down to your local transmitter (for Freeview) and save with the GREEN button, then run ABM. After ABM runs you will have a bouquet (or several) with a list of channels(services) that you picked in the ABM setup.

avalon65
16-05-23, 20:10
Yes that is what I did, twice actually.

abu baniaz
16-05-23, 20:24
It is only the text that is the same , as the 2 picture are different.

The text is different. One picture EPG, the other does not have EPG.
I selected the same bouquet in both examples, so that text is the same.

You do not need to do any mapping. While no Menus are showing on your screen, press the Context button, your list of bouquets will be shown.

avalon65
16-05-23, 20:35
The text is different. One picture EPG, the other does not have EPG.
I selected the same bouquet in both examples, so that text is the same.

You do not need to do any mapping. While no Menus are showing on your screen, press the Context button, your list of bouquets will be shown.

Apologies, my error , again!

I wish it would happen as you say, but it doesn't, and I don't know why.. I will perservere when I have the time to do so, as it is difficult when other family members are watching TV when I am not
Thanks

abu baniaz
16-05-23, 21:00
Which image are you using? Please provide full details: image name, version and date. You can access this by Menu > Information > About. Some people just say "latest" which is not helpful at all

So what happens when you press context key? Anything shown on screen?

And for time being, make sure nothing is on screen, press up next to OK, you will see the picture joe provided and what is in that pdf, you can then press blue to show favourites.
If that is not happening, you have made a change in button setup somewhere.

Alternatively,
Menu > Setup > User Interface > Channel > Selection >
Enable the "always show bouquets" option.

avalon65
16-05-23, 21:12
I just pressed the UP button above OK, and it bought up the bouquet listing. I don't know why I didn't think to do that before.

Willo3092
16-05-23, 21:17
I just pressed the UP button above OK, and it bought up the bouquet listing. I don't know why I didn't think to do that before.

Abu mentioned it 30 posts ago :)

abu baniaz
16-05-23, 21:21
Anyway, we are going around in circles. Just to repeat:
To avoid clashes for BBC1 HD, BBC2 HD, ITV1 HD, CH 4 HD and CH 5 HD, best to use the Terrestrial channels.

The bug with with FBC tuners and Universal LNBs is unlikely to be fixed. You are going to get clashes when you shouldn't The advice is to get a Unicable LNB. Alternatively, use another image that does not have the bug.

avalon65
16-05-23, 22:48
Abu mentioned it 30 posts ago :)

Yes I know that now!

I didn't realise which UP button was meant, as I was thinking the UP / DOWN channel changer rocker button, DOH!

avalon65
16-05-23, 22:53
A I am using the latest image for my receiver 6.3.007, which was asked for when I started this thread, what other image do suggest I use then.

As I mentioned in my OP, I have had this receiver for about 8 / 9 months now and the image which was current then seemed to work fine regarding upto 3 recordings at once. But maybe that was to do with setting up the tuners correctly at the time??

Anyways, thanks for your time and help

abu baniaz
17-05-23, 01:50
Channels change transponders and this could probably cater for why you are getting clashes now.

With your hardware you can view/record off two Transponders on satellite and also two transponders/multiplexes off Terrestrial without a problem. I cant give you a simple/straight answer as to how many channels that is, because it depends what transponder/mux you are on. As I said befoe you will get fewer clashes when using the Terrestrial tuner, as for example, BBC 1 HD is on the same mux as ITV 1 HD. If/when you get a clash when trying to use satellite, use Terrestrial and vice versa. Hopefully the service type icons and provider names added to Bouquets will help you tell the difference. If you want to see what is on the same TP, press up next to OK, Green (satellites), Current transponder

OpenPLI does not have the Universal LNB clash bug, but it has the efilepush bug. ViX is one of the easiest images to use. Best you stay on Vix as you will have to install quite a few plugins yourself on PLI.

Every time I mentioned the Up button, I said "next to OK". Please advise how else I can word it so that it is clearer when helping people.

avalon65
17-05-23, 09:45
Thank you for the explanation / information.

What does a Service Type icon look like in the epg or list of channels, because although I enabled it to the left of Service Name in Channel Selection, I did mistakenly expect some kind of icon or marker to show what service it is on. Or doesn't it work like that, and does the service icon go or show somewhere else. At the moment in the channel listing or epg , I just have 101 , BBC1 icon, BBC One W.Yorks

I have always used ViX since I started using a satellite receiver so I'm not going to change to another OS

I know that you said UP next to OK on the remote, but that is not strictly the case for my remote. The UP arrow is above the OK button, and similarly , the Down button is below the OK button. The channel change UP / DOWN button or rocker, is just to the right of the OK button.
So that is where I got confused or mistaken, and hope you understand that.

Thanks

abu baniaz
17-05-23, 14:39
The picture of service type icons is in post 11. There is a red arrow showing them in the channel list. (This not available in the Grid EPG, I said that already).

Regarding the Context key, I must apologise. It seems I was wrong. I am not by box following some surgery and am controlling box using OWIF. The Context key on OWIF does indeed bring up the bouquets. The real life remote does not.
I was looking here:

https://github.com/oe-alliance/branding-module/tree/master/BoxBranding/remotes

But should have been looking here

https://github.com/oe-alliance/remotes

There could be a way be a way to override the remotes with what you want. I am sure those in the know can share details. Maybe a use of the F1 button to be favourites and context to be help instead of extensions?

Sorry for the wrong information. The gist of the matter, press Up above OK, then press Blue to show your favourites.

avalon65
17-05-23, 15:46
Yes I see it now but had forgotten , and it doesn't really matter for now. this is because that when I press UP above OK, then as I said it brings up Bouquets, and from that list I just select the one I want. Mostly it would be FreeSAT, but others depending on what I want to do or watch.

Just a point : I can only view the Favorites after I press UP or DOWN , then select either providers or satellites , but then brings up a TV channel listing. pressing BLUE after I press UP to see the Bouquets does nothing.

No problem on giving wrong information, we all do it sometimes believe me.
I looked at the files on github from the link you gave and selected my box, but to be honest I don't want to do anything that would potentially screw up my receiver.

I would do it , and have installed files on my linux pc from github using specific commands, but not on the receiver. Thanks anyway for that.

i am going for a minor op tomorrow so I won't be up to much for a day or so.
Thank

abu baniaz
17-05-23, 17:46
I am going for a minor op tomorrow

Hope it goes well for you.