PDA

View Full Version : VU+ Ultimo 4k will not boot up

DubSat65
11-03-23, 12:05
Hi All, I have a VU+ Ultimo 4k purchased in 2018. I am running openvix 6.2 on it. (I am not sure of the full release number, but it was the most recent version before the release of 6.3).

I was performing an image backup when power was lost. Now the box will not boot up.
I tried to install a new openvix image via a USB key, but again no response.
Similarly I tried reinstalling the boot-loader for the VU site (http://vuplus.com/board/boardView.php?idx=26&pagenum=1) with no success.
I have tried several USB keys, including a new one, without success.
In all cases the box is unresponsive, no messages appear on the mini screen... all that happens is that the white led beside the screen flashes on and off.

Is there anything that you would suggest?

twol
11-03-23, 12:09
Hi All, I have a VU+ Ultimo 4k purchased in 2018. I am running openvix 6.2 on it. (I am not sure of the full release number, but it was the most recent version before the release of 6.3).

I was performing an image backup when power was lost. Now the box will not boot up.
I tried to install a new openvix image via a USB key, but again no response.
Similarly I tried reinstalling the boot-loader for the VU site (http://vuplus.com/board/boardView.php?idx=26&pagenum=1) with no success.
I have tried several USB keys, including a new one, without success.
In all cases the box is unresponsive, no messages appear on the mini screen... all that happens is that the white led beside the screen flashes on and off.

Is there anything that you would suggest?

Its why I personally hate usb flashes (e.g. a stick that will happily usb flash on one of my boxes will not usb flash on another)
Try to find the oldest, smallest (within reason) usb stick, reformat fat32 and then load the vu folder onto the stick

Ev0
11-03-23, 13:26
Sounds like it could be a hw issue.

Had similar in the past with my Ultimo4K.

Try turning the power switch off (on the box), then turn it on again, but press it fairly hard into the on position.

It might take a few attempts but eventually you should get it in the right place.

If it is that and once you do get it in the right place, never touch the switch again, just pull the power lead out or pull the plug out the wall in future (mine has been fine for about 4 years now doing that).

DubSat65
12-03-23, 20:51
Thank you very much to you both twol and Ev0. Unfortunately neither suggestion worked for me.

@twol: I tried with an old usb stick as suggested. Actually the stick in question has an led that lights when active and connected. The usb stick in the ultimo 4k does not light up, suggesting the usb ports are not active.

@Ev0: I don't think my issue is the same as your's: the box looks to be getting power as shown by the flashing white led.

I'll keep trying!

Ev0
12-03-23, 21:45
Thank you very much to you both twol and Ev0. Unfortunately neither suggestion worked for me.

@twol: I tried with an old usb stick as suggested. Actually the stick in question has an led that lights when active and connected. The usb stick in the ultimo 4k does not light up, suggesting the usb ports are not active.

@Ev0: I don't think my issue is the same as your's: the box looks to be getting power as shown by the flashing white led.

I'll keep trying!

When mine was playing up, the white led was illuminated but nothing else was.

cactikid
13-03-23, 00:15
Silly question but like other boxes that suffer with power supply , might a different power supply work?

bellejt
13-03-23, 11:57
try another power supply. If there is HDD disconnect

DubSat65
14-03-23, 23:22
A surprising update: following your comment Ev0, I left the box plugged in with the power on and the white LED flashing for a couple of hours (with the HDD disconnected). When I went back to the box, it had booted up as normal!
Not sure what happened, perhaps it just needed time to "complete" the image backup?
So, now I'll follow your advice and never touch the power switch again!

Thank you twol, Evo, cactikid and bellejt for your suggestions, they are all much appreciated.