PDA

View Full Version : 3d Channels on 9oE

dfdream
24-05-10, 16:32
Has anyone seen the 3d channels on 9oE.

What is required to view these test 3D signals. (glasses, special TV etc)

Are they the same format that Sky UK will use.

DF

grtmoby
24-05-10, 16:43
TV (LCD) and glasses

ttt1892
24-05-10, 17:30
I was wondering,when Sky unveil their 3D channel in the Autumn,if I bought a 3D compatible tv.Will I be able to watch them through my VU+ Duo? Or do I need a 3D compatible reciever also?

ttt.

dfdream
24-05-10, 17:43
grtmoby,

Is it a 3D TV or just a standard LCD.

ttt1892
24-05-10, 17:45
The TV has to be 3D ready.Doesn`t matter whether it`s LCD,Plasma or LED.

ttt.

grtmoby
24-05-10, 18:12
I was wondering,when Sky unveil their 3D channel in the Autumn,if I bought a 3D compatible tv.Will I be able to watch them through my VU+ Duo? Or do I need a 3D compatible reciever also?

ttt.

I am afraid we'll be needing a 3D ready receiver. I am saying this coz when it comes to Dlu ray, it has to be 3D ready. Guess it has something to do with the video output as 3D requires the video output in a special way.

Retired member
24-05-10, 18:15
I don't know about that, I was reading a thread on another forum and the guy assured everyone he was watching the Sky 3D feed using just is standard DM800 and some active 3D glasses and TV, not sure how true this is though but he didn't come across like he was making it up!

ttt1892
24-05-10, 18:23
I watched the champions league final in 3D on Saturday in the pub.I could see the Sky reciever and it looked exactly the same as my brother in laws Sky HD reciever(I ain`t got sky HD).I did read somewhere that if you already had Sky HD,you get the 3D channels at no extra cost,but I very much doubt that with uncle Rupee wanting cash from anywhere he can make it.

ttt.

Maverick120
24-05-10, 20:19
According to Sky http://www.sky.com/shop/3d/home/ all sky+HD boxes are 3d ready, just need the TV.

ttt1892
24-05-10, 21:58
The Sky site confirms there will be no extra cost if you are a Sky World customer with HD pack. I`m gonna start searching for a 3D tv.:D

ttt.

steve1978
24-05-10, 22:44
Sky HD boxes are capable of 3D out put.

You both have a valid argument, the reciever and the TV have to be 3D ready. A PS3 is not currently capable of playing a blu ray game or movie, in July an update will correct this. Their is however another problem, a format war. ( VHS - Betamax style) their are different types of 3DTV's thats right, you buy the wrong tv you could end up with a paper weight.
Stereoscopic - Displays a different image to each eye, requires polarised glasses for the 3d effect (like the cinema now and sky 3d now.
Autostereoscopic - 3d filter is built in to the TV, doesnt matter where you sit you can still get a 3d effect without glasses (better technology)
Computer-generated holography - due to the complexity of this technology you currently need a super Nasa computer with a Pentium 8 to replicate.
Volumetric displays - uses Voxels instead of pixels. has a habbit of sending the user blind though so unlikly to be in a supermarket window any time soon :D

There are many more issues also, an example is on a 1080 screen if you use a polarised system then in effect you have two images using alternate lines, this then produces a 3d image that the glasses will polarise to give two images to the brain, this gives the effect of 3d..... it also means the image is no longer 1080, it is two 540 images, this will reduce the overall picture quality..

A very complex subject, wait before you buy a TV wait to see what the market dictates or follow what ever sony produce, this usually becomes the market leader as they produce the movies!

in short answer to your question..... with a software modification and the correct drivers the VU should be able to reproduce any steam.

ttt1892
25-05-10, 18:43
I read a good article yesterday,I think it was the Sky site(I will check later).It said there are 2 types of 3D. Passive and Active.I f you get a tv with Active 3D,you will need glasses that need to be powered by a battery,apparently these glasses will cost anywhere between £50 and £90. The other type of 3D is passive,this is what Sky are using in the pubs and you only need the "Buddy Holly" (that`s what I call them) glasses. These to me appear to be the option as the Active glasses can give the effect of flickering to some viewers. So I`m now looking for a TV with passive 3D.

ttt.

bob1
25-05-10, 19:12
I saw a 3d tv in curry's the other day , i was looking at some tvs and noticed one that looking really blurred from the side, looking straight on it still looked a bit odd but much clearer , i put the glasses on :cool: and all came clear it was a 3d bluray and tv.

pege63
25-05-10, 20:19
3D is overrated and has no standard right now, but each brand has its own standard, the picture is dark and not nearly as clear as in normal TV viewing.
The glasses fit just right for the brand so you can not bring their glasses to a friend and check out, and that the TV supports only four more glasses so you can not be.
And television is any danger of over 56 inches to get the right feeling, and it may not in 1080 but only P 520P right now, so nothing to buy something years or so

pege63
25-05-10, 20:21
720P not the 520P that it was writen have no light here so i just guessing when i type on the TB

bob1
25-05-10, 20:30
3D is overrated and has no standard right now, but each brand has its own standard, the picture is dark and not nearly as clear as in normal TV viewing.
The glasses fit just right for the brand so you can not bring their glasses to a friend and check out, and that the TV supports only four more glasses so you can not be.
And television is any danger of over 56 inches to get the right feeling, and it may not in 1080 but only P 520P right now, so nothing to buy something years or so

The picture i saw was very good as was the 3d effect , i was stood no more than a few feet away from the tv due to the short lead on the glasses, i certainly won't be buying one though and would agree you need a very large screen or sit very close.

ttt1892
25-05-10, 21:27
I was sat about 12 ft away from a 50" LG TV in the pub using the "Buddy Holly" glasses and the picture was outstanding.It was no darker than my HD tv. What I will say is, football is not good for 3D tv.At the normal angle the camera shows you the match,there is nothing showing in 3D.However earlier I was watching the rugby,and because there are frequent camera angles closer to the players during things like scrums and penalty kicks,then you get the full efect of 3D.

ttt.

PAUL7331
26-05-10, 15:32
Both vu+ duo's and dm800's will work with sports in 3D as long as you have a 3d tv!