PDA

View Full Version : Channels problem

Agricola
09-02-23, 23:40
I am completely new to this, so forgive my questions in advance! Got a Tiviar+ running Open Vix, I got it about a year ago and connected it as it had channels already installed on it, so have never had to do anything to it. All working fine until about a month ago some of the channels are not appearing (I get a message saying 'Service not found!SID not found in PAT). The box is running image 5.3.039 and was last updated on 19 July 2020. It is not connected to the internet so what do I have to do to solve this issue, that is fairly idiot proof in case I damage the box? 64716 64717

abu baniaz
10-02-23, 01:59
The channels change transponders from time to time. You are looking at the service list and not bouquet, you need to get rid of the dead channels.

One way below:
Up (next to OK)> Green (satellites) > Highlight 28.2 > Menu > Remove selected satellite > confirm > Restart

After your box is restarted, run AutoBouquetsMaker.

To flash your box to latest image,
Blue > Vix > Image Manager > Download
Once downloaded, highlight latest image, press OK and it will flash it. After reboot, say yes to restore settings and plugins

Agricola
20-02-23, 22:18
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I have followed your instructions to the part of running autobouquets maker (even read the manuals and watched the video about autobouquets) but the problem still persists as in the photos. When it came to flashing the box to the latest image (whatever that means) I got the following message that is in the photos. I am living in the Republic of Ireland but not sure if this really makes a difference. I am going to look again at the links to flash and restore and manuals and guides that you provided as I don't want to be wasting your time on what must be really basic questions!

abu baniaz
20-02-23, 22:35
OK. Let's do it one stage at a time.

1. Create a settings backup.
Blue, Vix, Backup Manager, green (new backup)

Agricola
20-02-23, 23:08
Ok that much is done. Now backed up!

abu baniaz
20-02-23, 23:17
Go to openvix.co.uk, download the 6.3 002 image for tiviar. No need to unzip, Transfer using FTP (Filezilla, WinSCP, etc) to /media/hdd/imagebackups

Blue, Vix, Image Manager

It should show the image you downloaded then transferred. Select it. Then blue to flash

Agricola
20-02-23, 23:49
Stuck on that as I can download the file on to a USB and I put this in to the front of my box, selected image manager but nothing shows. I obviously don't know how to transfer what is on the USB to media/hdd/images. Have been trying to look this up online!

Agricola
20-02-23, 23:55
I have downloaded the filezilla app so am just trying to figure out what to do with the app. No joy trying to figure this out! Not the most techy but I figure I have the basics, but maybe not. I presume that my box does not have to be connected to the internet as it isn't so what needs to be done can be done by just using the USB stick?

satteliter
21-02-23, 00:01
you need to connect to the "computer" part of your tv box.
is your box connected to the wifi or wired network?

Agricola
21-02-23, 00:03
Nope, so I have to do this. How do I connect the box to my wifi?

satteliter
21-02-23, 00:07
I presume that my box does not have to be connected to the internet as it isn't so what needs to be done can be done by just using the USB stick?

if it is connected to your home network (via wifi or wired), you can access it over the internal network. this means you can run commands on the underlying operating system(Linux).
this makes some things easier.

if it's connected to your network, then it can have outbound access to the internet which makes downloading updates straight to the box a lot easier,

failing that, you can use a usb to transfer an updated os image to the box. i don't have that version of openvix but the menu will be much the same.

to make life easier, pls answer these questions - leave blank if you dont know:

1) is the box connected to the network(wifi or wired) - u answered this- can skip over.
2) did the box already have a usb stick in it?
3) what computer(windows/mac/linux) are you using?
4) do you have internet access/wifi access at home? if so, which provider do you use - eir etc?

Agricola
21-02-23, 00:09
The box is not connected to the network, the box did not have a usb stick in it when I got it, I just downloaded the image on to a USB and put it into the box (as in just now), and I am using windows 10.

Yes I have wifi, Sky

I can't see anything on the box menu to connect to the Wifi

satteliter
21-02-23, 00:19
ok, so the usb key you used on your windows computer may not be formatted in a format recognised by the tv box which runs linux.

if you don't have wifi usb already setup, then you cant connect it to wifi but if you have a network cable (looks like https://media.startech.com/cms/products/main/n6patcxmbk.main.jpg), then you can connect the box direct to the sky wifi box (will have ports at back i think - example eir box 64792) thus making the next few steps easier.

Huevos
21-02-23, 00:24
That box uses an external USB device for WiFi. If you don't have that available you will need to connect it to your router via a LAN cable.

Agricola
21-02-23, 00:26
Ok, so I am going to have to get a cable long enough (5 or 7.5 M) to go from my box to the router so that I can see what I am doing on the tv screen. I will try and get one tomorrow and then maybe we can go from there?

Huevos
21-02-23, 00:26
ok, so the usb key you used on your windows computer may not be formatted in a format recognised by the tv box which runs linux.

if you don't have wifi usb already setup, then you cant connect it to wifi but if you have a network cable (looks like https://media.startech.com/cms/products/main/n6patcxmbk.main.jpg), then you can connect the box direct to the sky wifi box (will have ports at back i think - example eir box 64792) thus making the next few steps easier.USB flash drive must be formatted FAT32.

But would be much easier if the OP connects to the box via the home network.

satteliter
21-02-23, 00:30
you can disconnect the box from the tv, satellite cable and aerial cable and just plug it in near the sky box. it just needs temporary connection to the network(via network cable) to download the image. you will be acceessing the box from your laptop and not the tv so it is ok.

i.e. at this stage, the box just needs power and network connectivity. after we get through that part, you can disconnect it and plug it back into tv,satellite,aerial etc. to finish off the setup

Agricola
21-02-23, 00:36
Thanks for that, box now connected to the router.

I have image on USB stick so do I need to do something with that?

abu baniaz
21-02-23, 00:39
Sorry, I did not realise it was not connected to the network. Can you try and download an image using Image manager?

Blue > Vix > Image Manager > Yellow (Downloads)

If that succeeds, select the 6.3 image and then flash it.

satteliter
21-02-23, 00:39
ok, so because you're with sky: i am taking these steps from the web:

open a browser on your computer. (then we're going to follow instructions listed here - https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Talk/Accessing-your-router-settings-page-192-168-0-1/ba-p/2649511)

also, make sure your tv box is powered on.
then:

Open your browser and type 192.168.0.1 into your address bar
When prompted enter the username: admin and password: sky

if that doesn't work, enter the username: admin and your wifi password, then come back here and let us know whether it says error or whether it allows you to the next screen

Agricola
21-02-23, 00:43
this is what I see now, no prompt for username or passwords

satteliter
21-02-23, 00:48
i was hoping to see some ip addresses listed. is there other information in there that have something that looks like 192.168.1.2 or 2001:db8:3333:4444:5555:6666:7777:8888.?

Agricola
21-02-23, 00:49
Nope, nothing. Just swapped ports and cable and now the box is showing. Sorry! 64794

satteliter
21-02-23, 00:59
ok, download this - https://nmap.org/dist/nmap-7.93-setup.exe and install it on your windows computer.

it is a tool that will scan your network looking for port 22. it is safe etc.. it's a way to figure out the ip address of your box.

when you install it, click through . and when you see the 'choose components' screen - you have to tick the 'Npcap 1.71' to make sure that it is installed.
after it is installed, you open it in windows start menu etc.. and then come back here

Agricola
21-02-23, 01:03
I have it open now

satteliter
21-02-23, 01:08
so the text you type will be different as i'm not with sky. so the image is for guidance but this is the text you use(i think - unless sky does things different)

the area circled red is where you type the text, then press scan.

the area below it will output the results of the scan. you are looking for something in green (circled in green in image
green text stating "22/tcp open ssh"

this is the text you put in the red area:

nmap -p 22 -T4 192.168.0.0/24

the ip address above the green text will have 'nmap scan report for 192.168.0.x)
take a note of x

Agricola
21-02-23, 01:12
Ok, so I did that and the IP is (192.168.0.26)

satteliter
21-02-23, 01:17
great. so i dont use filezilla but in winscp, this is how i would connect to that ip(which is the network address of the box)

the other programs are gonna be much the same or you can just downoad winscp (also free)

the important things are the ip address (192.168.0.26), the port (22), the protocol (SCP) , the username (root), the password (root)
do that and click connect.

it will mention do you want to accept key etc. - just click yes and then you are connected to the box.
then come back here

Agricola
21-02-23, 01:28
All done, as far as I think64798

satteliter
21-02-23, 01:34
ok, so the left pane is your local machine. the right pane is the tv box. the up arrow with 2 periods beside it is the up a level link. on the right pane, double click that, and you go to /home
double click it again and you go to /

from there, you should see a folder called 'media', then inside that a folder called 'hdd', click into media, then hdd, then post a screenshot of the contents of 'hdd' here.
if you don't see those or get stuck , let us know

Agricola
21-02-23, 01:38
Thanks for your instructions this is what shows 64799

satteliter
21-02-23, 01:42
leave that open and just check the following.
open a command prompt in windows. should be in start menu somewhere and when it opens, just type ssh and press enter. then copy that screenshot back here:

Agricola
21-02-23, 01:49
Ok, so this is it 64801

Agricola
21-02-23, 01:51
Ok, so this is it64802

satteliter
21-02-23, 01:52
brilliant. we're just gonna connect to the box using the command prompt.

so type

ssh root@192.168.0.26

it will prompt for password, password same as earlier - root

then type

df -h

and press enter.

this will show you and us how much space you have on box etc..

this might get tricky as you have older version of tvbox so this command might not yet work but there will be alternatives we can try

edit:
on windows, you can hold Win key & Shift key & s key to screenshot a portion. an overlay appears and you use mouse/trackpad to select the area you want to share
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots-00246869-1843-655f-f220-97299b865f6b

satteliter
21-02-23, 01:54
to the OGs in thread, i don't whether opkg upgrade/update or some variation could be used here to speed up updating process so feel free to chime in if that makes sense/ is a plausible path

Agricola
21-02-23, 01:59
The command will not work

abu baniaz
21-02-23, 02:06
You can't update through image ranges.

Use OpenWebif to control the box and carry out the earlier image manager advice. You should be able to download now the box is connected to the network.

Put the IP address in your Web browser. There is a virtual remote. Selecting those buttons will also generate screenshots so you can can see the options /menu.

If you want to flash it by command line, there is a command in the thread in my signature

satteliter
21-02-23, 02:07
ok.
type

uname -r

and press enter, then paste output back here

satteliter
21-02-23, 02:13
ok lets follow abus advice on this.

just type the tv box ip into a web browser. that will bring up the web ui. on the left column - click 'capture screenshot', then click refresh automatically.

from there, you can see the box output screen and will be able to use abus earlier suggestion of updating through box which will be much easier (completely forgot the web ui existed!)

Agricola
21-02-23, 02:16
It says uname is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

Agricola
21-02-23, 02:17
Thanks so much for your help but I need to go to bed to be up at 6 am to go to work, so would it be possible to come back to this tomorrow evening?

satteliter
21-02-23, 02:20
sure thing.

Agricola
21-02-23, 02:22
Thanks ever so much. I will be back tomorrow night and appreciate your time and effort so far!

satteliter
21-02-23, 02:41
in case somebody else is able to help you earlier tmw, these files may be of use to them/you in configuring things. i'm in ireland aswell.

add irish channels to uk sections:
/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/AutoBouquetsMaker/custom

the end result of this config and the settings (change saorview from woodcock to whatever your local transmitter is - https://saorview.ie/en/check-coverage/ enter eircode and it tells you which to use)

gives you the epg/guide for 7 days etc.. the channels icons are added by the picons plugin (not sure if latest openvix carries latest picons but you can add them manually for the missing irish channels if needs be)

abu baniaz
21-02-23, 02:47
If you can get a longer network cable so that you can connect box to TV too, that will make life really easy. Or homeplugs.

The Ocram picons on Vix plugin server were updated on 17th February.
You can now use the ABM folder in /etc/enigma2

Agricola
21-02-23, 20:26
Hi, I have the box connected now via a LAN cable and have completed the step of going on to OpenWebif as suggested by sattelitter

Agricola
21-02-23, 20:28
Sorry, I did not realise it was not connected to the network. Can you try and download an image using Image manager?

Blue > Vix > Image Manager > Yellow (Downloads)

If that succeeds, select the 6.3 image and then flash it.

I presume that I try this now?

abu baniaz
21-02-23, 20:28
The openwebif advice was because you had moved the box nearer the router, it was not connected to the TV. Is that the current setup?

Agricola
21-02-23, 20:31
I have everything connected now, so box connected to the router and box connected to TV

abu baniaz
21-02-23, 20:38
I have everything connected now, so box connected to the router and box connected to TV

Please try the image manager to download 6.3 002 and flash it.

Agricola
21-02-23, 20:49
I have gone to Blue > Image Manager and this is what I see so I don't seem to be able to download 6.3 002 64817

When I hit download all I get is 64818

abu baniaz
21-02-23, 20:55
Are you ok to use Filezilla/winscp?

There was a server change awhile back, so probably why you cannot download it. We just need to transfer the image you downloaded to /media/hdd/imagebackups You can then flash it from imagemanager.

The other option is to put the image on a USB stick and make image manager use that.

Agricola
21-02-23, 20:56
Are you ok to use Filezilla/winscp?

There was a server change awhile back, so probably why you cannot download it. We just need to transfer the image you downloaded to /media/hdd/imagebackups You can then flash it from image manager.

Yes I used it last night when sattelitter was guiding me so I have them downloaded already and open on my laptop

I have both downloaded so whichever is easier to use, given my level of incompetence:p

abu baniaz
21-02-23, 21:03
FTP (transfer) the zipped image file to /media/hdd/imagebackups. To void confusion, do not connect the USB stick to the box.

Once you have done that, it should show up in the list of images that are on your receiver and you can then select/highlight it and then flash.

Agricola
21-02-23, 21:09
FTP (transfer) the zipped image file to /media/hdd/imagebackups. To void confusion, do not connect the USB stick to the box.

Once you have done that, it should show up in the list of images that are on your receiver and you can then select/highlight it and then flash.

Sorry, I spoke too soon!! I will have to be guided on how to transfer the zipped file, which I have on USB on my laptop.

abu baniaz
21-02-23, 21:15
In your picture on post 31, you should be able to just drag and drop the zipped image file across from one location to the other. make sure you drag it into correct location.

Left hand side is local (computer). Right hand side is remote (satellite receiver)

Agricola
21-02-23, 21:27
In your picture on post 31, you should be able to just drag and drop the zipped image file across from one location to the other. make sure you drag it into correct location.

Left hand side is local (computer). Right hand side is remote (satellite receiver)

Just in case I do something wrong, I have followed post 30, so I now just drag the zipped file into imagebackups 64819

abu baniaz
21-02-23, 21:30
Yes .

Agricola
21-02-23, 21:33
File has transferred and I have done as you said in post 51

abu baniaz
21-02-23, 21:41
Downloading image is one process. Flashing image is another process. Image is now on box, so you do not need to download it. Are you able to select the image and then flash it?

Agricola
21-02-23, 21:43
I presume that I perform a restore now as prompted?

abu baniaz
21-02-23, 21:45
Yes, please flash/restore the image. This is why we are here.

(Restore is the old name which we changed to Flash.)

Agricola
21-02-23, 21:52
Yes, please flash/restore the image. This is why we are here.

(Restore is the old name which we changed to Flash.)

I pressed OK to restore and I am now faced with this choice 64820

Have I gone wrong in some step?

abu baniaz
21-02-23, 21:55
You are in backup Manager. We need to be in Image Manager.

Exit out of all menus then
Blue > Vix > Image Manager
Highlight the image you had transferred, then press the Blue button (flash/restore)

I see you have moved the TV to the floor in your determination to get this done. You are doing well, one step at a time.

Agricola
21-02-23, 22:10
You are in backup Manager. We need to be in Image Manager.

Exit out of all menus then
Blue > Vix > Image Manager
Highlight the image you had transferred, then press the Blue button (flash/restore)

I see you have moved the TV to the floor in your determination to get this done. You are doing well, one step at a time.

The reason TV is on the ground is that I just about make everything connect up by undoing the satellite and aerial cables and moving them from one room to another. Still, it has to be done! I have flashed the image as per your instructions and it went through the process as before. Last night you suggested I make a backup which I did but I now need to make another choice (last time I clicked Ok, to perform a restore, so do I need to make another choice?) 64821

abu baniaz
21-02-23, 22:21
Movement of TV : It was a compliment to your dedication.

After you flash the new image and you reboot into it, you are asked if you want to restore your settings and plugins. Say yes if you want to add the old stuff. Say no if you want to set everything up from scratch.

Agricola
21-02-23, 22:27
I have said no and now it is asking me to pick a video mode selection so what do I pick? It goes 720 p, 1080 p etc?

abu baniaz
21-02-23, 22:30
OK, we are starting from scratch. Let me know if you change your mind.

I normally select 1080p, 50Hz

Agricola
21-02-23, 22:34
Done. I am now on to the step asking me about disabling overscan. At this stage am I ok to disconnect the box from the router and attach it back to the main TV so that I can stop looking at the TV on the ground?

abu baniaz
21-02-23, 22:39
You might need to install some plugins, so leave the ethernet cable for now. Put a pillow on the floor and lie down. If the box needs wif-fi drivers to be installed do that and then move box back.

Go through the setup, say no to overscan, skip the tuner configuration, you don't want to scan for channels.
Set EPG location to /hdd
Set your tuners
Go into AutoBouquetsMaker, set providers and run ABM

Agricola
21-02-23, 22:43
You might need to install some plugins, so leave the ethernet cable for now. Put a pillow on the floor and lie down.

:):) Having been up late last night I need exta zzzs tonight so am wondering about my stamina! What do I do about the overscan option?

abu baniaz
21-02-23, 22:47
If you can't see all the corners of GUI, you are better off disabling overscan on your TV. For now, if you can't see all the edges, select that yocant see teh edges and want to adjust picture. Sorry, I cant remember the exact wording.

Agricola
21-02-23, 22:54
Ok, I am living in the Republic of Ireland and I am now at the set up tuner A page so what settings do I apply or is it a case of reading a manual? All I really want is to have a list of the free to air Irish channels, the main UK Channels and to have them numbered 1, 2,3,4,5, etc. I also want a working EPG (which I didn't have berfore) and that's about it.

abu baniaz
21-02-23, 23:01
ABM will create the channels correctly for you.

I don't know what dishes/aerial you have, so this could take long. Exit out of all menus, then
Blue > Vix im.... > Backup Manager > Select the most recent settings backup, restore it. Box will reboot.

Then go into ABM, update the provider files, then run ABM. Install wi-fi drivers and put TV back. We can tidy the rest up when you have more time.

Agricola
21-02-23, 23:08

I don't know what dishes/aerial you have, so this could take long. Exit out of all menus, then
Blue > Vix im.... > Backup Manager > Select the most recent settings backup, restore it. Box will reboot.

Then go into ABM, update the provider files, then run ABM. Install wi-fi drivers and put TV back. We can tidy the rest up when you have more time.

I have one dish and one aerial (for the Irish channels which are free to air). When I go to update provider files in ABM it tells me 'no providers configured'

Joe_90
21-02-23, 23:10
Ok, I am living in the Republic of Ireland and I am now at the set up tuner A page so what settings do I apply or is it a case of reading a manual? All I really want is to have a list of the free to air Irish channels, the main UK Channels and to have them numbered 1, 2,3,4,5, etc. I also want a working EPG (which I didn't have berfore) and that's about it.

What area (nearest town)? I created the Saorview ABM lists, so I can help identify what transmitter you are using.

Agricola
21-02-23, 23:11
I live in Carrigtwohill Co Cork! I think it used to be Spur Hill?

abu baniaz
21-02-23, 23:15
I have one dish and one aerial (for the Irish channels which are free to air). When I go to update provider files in ABM it tells me 'no providers configured'

Did you restore the backup or do you want to continue from where you are now?

Joe_90
21-02-23, 23:17
I live in Carrigtwohill Co Cork! I think it used to be Spur Hill?

In the ABM menu, click on Providers, then select Saorview, then region. The Saorview transmitters will come up in alphabetical sequence - choose Cork/Spur Hill. Don't forget to save (green button). You can also select Freesat and pick a region for your sat connection.

EDIT - I don't want to step on Abu's toes! He's doing the hard works here. I'm just adding local Saorview knowledge!

Agricola
21-02-23, 23:18
Did you restore the backup or do you want to continue from where you are now?

I think I restored the backup as instructed so would like to get to the stage where I can get the TV off the floor along with cables etc. before my wife kills me! I am in update providers but it is telling me no providers configured

Joe_90
21-02-23, 23:20
I think I restored the backup as instructed so would like to get to the stage where I can get the TV off the floor along with cables etc. before my wife kills me! I am in update providers but it is telling me no providers configured

See post #77 and #80

Agricola
21-02-23, 23:20
In the ABM menu, click on Providers, then select Saorview, then region. The Saorview transmitters will come up in alphabetical sequence - choose Cork/Spur Hill. Don't forget to save (green button). You can also select Freesat and pick a region for your sat connection.

EDIT - I don't want to step on Abu's toes! He's doing the hard works here. I'm just adding local Saorview knowledge!

Thanks very much. I feel sorry for Abu and sattelitter last night. It must be a trial for them! If there was Vix for Dummies book, it would be good for the likes of me!

abu baniaz
21-02-23, 23:24
Info:
ABM will not show any providers if tuner configuration does not allow it. You cannot update providers unless providers are set.

For you to action:
Go into your tuner configuration and make sure that your tuners are correctly set? Post a picture .
Then set your providers as per Joe's instructions

Agricola
21-02-23, 23:24
Ok, so I have Saorview sorted as per post 80, for Freesat is that the same as Freeview (UK) in ABM Providers menu?

abu baniaz
21-02-23, 23:27
Ok, so I have Saorview sorted as per post 80, for Freesat is that the same as Freeview (UK) in ABM Providers menu?

Freeview is for Aerial/Terrestrial providers in UK.
Freesat is for satellite on Astra 28.2.

Agricola
21-02-23, 23:29
How do I locate Freesat? Here is what I see in the Tuner Setup64822

Joe_90
21-02-23, 23:36
When you select the tuner you will get options - this is mine (I have only one tuner on this box and the tuner type is different to yours).

Agricola
21-02-23, 23:43
Thanks, I have set the two tuners to Astra as per your screenshot and for Tuner C I have set it to spur hill. Is there anything else I should be doing whilst the box is connected to the internet?

Joe_90
21-02-23, 23:43
Freeview is for Aerial/Terrestrial providers in UK.
Freesat is for satellite on Astra 28.2.

Here's my Freesat config in ABM. Ignore the other providers as I have a motor and can select other providers. The end of the Freesat provider is cut off as it's on the next page.

Joe_90
21-02-23, 23:46
Thanks, I have set the two tuners to Astra as per your screenshot and for Tuner C I have set it to spur hill. Is there anything else I should be doing whilst the box is connected to the internet?

You should be good to connect back to Saorview/Satellite. Here's my second page of ABM config.

abu baniaz
21-02-23, 23:49
Thanks, I have set the two tuners to Astra as per your screenshot
If you have two signal wires from a satellite dish pointing at 28.2, that is correct.

and for Tuner C I have set it to spur hill. Is there anything else I should be doing whilst the box is connected to the internet?

You might need to transfer a mix file, await Joe_90's response. If you do not have to install the wi-fi drivers then you can move it back. Don't drop the TV!

In the ABM configure menu, I recommend to enable "add provider name to bouquets". Avoids confusion between bouquets of different providers with same name.

Joe_90
21-02-23, 23:49
Yes - you can have a Sky bouquet as well - just the free-to-air (FTA) stuff. It hacks Irish Sky viewers off no end when you show them all the Channel 5 and ITV variants that are not carried on the official Sky box!

Joe_90
21-02-23, 23:52
@abu's reference to a mix file can wait until another time. I use a custom mix file to link the Saorview and Freesat bouquets into one. Saorview starts at position 1 and runs through to 21 or so. Then Freesat starts at 101 and goes on from there... small steps first.

Joe_90
21-02-23, 23:57
Here's what you should see on the Saorview and Freesat bouquets once you're up and running.

Agricola
21-02-23, 23:58
Thanks for all the help guys. The pics are a great help Joe 90. I have followed your settings so wonder if I need to do anything else now at this stage. 64829

Agricola
22-02-23, 00:00

When I try to do this now I get the follwing 64830

Joe_90
22-02-23, 00:02
Thanks for all the help guys. The pics are a great help Joe 90. I have followed your settings so wonder if I need to do anything else now at this stage. 64829

Just connect up to your aerial and satellite leads and run ABM! You'll need to configure your EPG and run the OpenTV grabber to pull down the satellite EPG from Sky.

Agricola
22-02-23, 00:03
Are the next steps so to do a scan or what do I need to do to get the Saorview and freesat bouquets that you have in your post?

Agricola
22-02-23, 00:04
Just connect up to your aerial and satellite leads and run ABM! You'll need to configure your EPG and run the OpenTV grabber to pull down the satellite EPG from Sky.

Any chance you could give me the instructions on how to do the above please as I have the aerial and satellite in? Or point me in the direction of the page on the manual?

Joe_90
22-02-23, 00:07
Are the next steps so to do a scan or what do I need to do to get the Saorview and freesat bouquets that you have in your post?

No just go into ABM and run it (Start Scan). It will create the bouquets. When you tune into RTE it will pull down the 7/8 day EPG automatically. I wouldn't go restoring any settings from a backup just yet as it may overwrite your configuration.

Joe_90
22-02-23, 00:09
ABM menu - here's a pic

Joe_90
22-02-23, 00:12
The word "SCAN" is a bit confusing/misleading. ABM just tunes a single terrestrial and or satellite channel and extracts the channel information. It doesn't actually scan through an entire satellite.

Agricola
22-02-23, 00:13
So I started scan to see what would happen but not sure if that is what I should do? Thanks for all your help. I will try and read more about it regarding configuring EPG and how to run the Open TV grabber. Lent begins tomorrow but to those who have helped me over the past few nights, I think that you have already done some penance!! Patience is a great virtue so thanks for your patience and I think somehow I will be back on this forum again very soon!

abu baniaz
22-02-23, 00:29
If you have connected the satellite wire (correctly) and aerial ABM will work (scan) fine. Don't do anything else until that is working.

Can you please confirm you have two satellite wires?

Agricola
24-02-23, 21:21
Hi again. TV off floor now (have ordered a 10M LAN cable to avoid having to do this again, so box not currently connected to router) and I have a whole list of channels. I have two satellite cables and one aerial.

Is there anything more I need/can to do at this stage? I am going to read the manual to try and figure out how to put together a list of favourite channels.

I also notice that the EPG function is not working for the satellite channels (as in none, or only the progamme immediately after the one I am looking at), but again I need to look at the manual.

When I turn on the box I see 3 folders > Current transponder >Terrestrial Services (off the aerial) >28.2 Astra 2E/2F/2G so when I want to watch the channels from the aerial I go in to one folder and then to watch the satellite channels I go in to that folder so I am wondering is there a way that I can combine both (which is the way it was before I updated the box)

abu baniaz
24-02-23, 21:35
May I suggest that you read this thread:
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?63049-Bouquets-EPG-amp-Channel-navigation

Then to set up your EPG, there are several ways. But use this:
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?63896-Setting-up-Sky-UK-epg-download

The first thread will hopefully explain why you are seeing what you are seeing. You are in orbital mode, not bouquet mode. I also recommend in ABM you set the option "add provider name to bouquets". Can you please post a picture of the providers page in ABM?

Agricola
24-02-23, 21:50
Thanks, have actually been looking at those manuals to try and figure things out, so I will do this until I get stuck, as I don't want to ask questions the answers to which are provided in the manuals and guide. 64850 64851

abu baniaz
24-02-23, 22:20
For screenshots:
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?44054-How-to-take-screen-shots-How-to-attach-files

In the saorview provider menu, set following to no
HD boquet. FTA boquet, FTA HD

You don't need Sky and Freesat. Use the UK one instead of Irish version as you will get free version of channel 4 etc.
Select London HD custom.
Create main bouquet = no
Enable the swap.

In Providers menu, set saorview as first one. Before you run, select the function to update provider files

After ABM runs, you will open the last select bouquet/category you used in cached mode. Change bouquets to refresh these. TV button should do it, or UP next to OK, then Blue to open boquets, select a different one to what you used last time.

Agricola
26-06-23, 22:15
Back again looking for help! For the past few months I have been looking at the Sky channels by selecting 28.2 Astra from the following
but I find that I have multiples of the same channel as in the following image
so can someone point me to a guide as to how to create a list of channels that I watch so that I only have one BBC 1 etc and that I don't have to scroll through lists of channels such as the Sky channels that I don't have anyway.

Huevos
27-06-23, 08:52
How did you create that list. You should press blue to get to the channel list created by abm.

Agricola
27-06-23, 20:46
I got the list by following the instructions given by those who kindly were helping me out, Joe 90 and abu baniaz. I have another issue now, which is that when I go on to the terrestrial channels, some of them won't come on as per below

I thought this was something to do with the aerial but it isn't as I get some of the other terrestrial channels perfectly, but it seems to affect random channels at random times so I think I must need to change some setting?

Agricola
27-06-23, 20:52
How did you create that list. You should press blue to get to the channel list created by abm.

When I press the blue button I get the following
but when I go down to the favourites folder there is nothing in it so I wonder how do I add channels into that?

abu baniaz
27-06-23, 20:57
The bouquet called "favourites" is for you to add your favourites into. ABM does not alter it's contents. You can add channels using you remote or using a channel editor like Dreamboxedit, E-channelizer or even using the bouquets editor in OpenWebif.

To use the remote, press menu and you will options to do so. If you are in service list, you can move to a bouquet. If you are in an a other bouquet, you might have to enable edit mode first.

Agricola
27-06-23, 22:11
The bouquet called "favourites" is for you to add your favourites into. ABM does not alter it's contents. You can add channels using you remote or using a channel editor like Dreamboxedit, E-channelizer or even using the bouquets editor in OpenWebif.

To use the remote, press menu and you will options to do so. If you are in service list, you can move to a bouquet. If you are in an a other bouquet, you might have to enable edit mode first.

OK I will try that, thanks.

Joe_90
27-06-23, 22:44
I got the list by following the instructions given by those who kindly were helping me out, Joe 90 and abu baniaz. I have another issue now, which is that when I go on to the terrestrial channels, some of them won't come on as per below

I thought this was something to do with the aerial but it isn't as I get some of the other terrestrial channels perfectly, but it seems to affect random channels at random times so I think I must need to change some setting?

You have disappeared off the radar for months, so I'm not sure how you are back to manual scanning of satellite transponders and (possibly) terrestrial transmitters that you perhaps can't receive. Back in February you were given pointers as to how to set up AutoBouquetsMaker (ABM) for Saorview (Spur Hill) and Sky UK. ABM will give you a single bouquet of Saorview terrestrial channels and a single bouquet of Sky channels if you follow the menu prompts. You can make the Sky bouquet as detailed as you want or as simple as the layout in my screenshots earlier in the thread.

Agricola
28-06-23, 19:09
Yes, have been off the site for a bit as a) having got the channels to work I just left them at that b)the technical aspects of the system can be a bit challenging for me and c) have been busy with work a lot of evenings.

I have sorted out the favourites folder now so have listed the channels that I actually watch so thanks to abu baniaz (again) for letting me know that I could do that through the boquets editor in OpenWebif (see told you I was challenged by the techinical aspects.

The only issue I have now is why some of the terrestrial channels won't appear. I thought this was an aerial issue and risked life and limb going on to the roof to see if it was, but as I am getting some of the channels perfectly I can only deduce that it's down to something in how I have set it up, or something that I need to update.

These are the lists of the Saorview channels I have

I get a tuned failed image like below

and then this comes up (this is for RTE 1 and +1, Virgin Media 3 and 4) but I can get RTE2, TG4, Virgin Media 1 and 2

As always any help greatly appreciated.

Joe_90
29-06-23, 18:24
Those terrestrial lists show that you are scanning, rather than using AutoBouquetsMaker (ABM). There are only two channel groups (called multiplexes) in Saorview. RTE1/RTE1+1/Virgin Media 3 and 4 are in one multiplex (plus others). RTE2/Virgin Media 1/TG4 (plus others) are in the other multiplex. If you use ABM set to Spur Hill (are you still in the Spur Hill service area?) it will automatically tune the correct multiplexes and you will get all the services. You are making things difficult for yourself by doing manual scans. If you absolutely insist on a manual scan, then C45 (666MHz) and C39 (618MHz) are the frequencies and channel numbers for the Spur Hill multiplexes. I don't know why you have shown the screenshot for "Quest Red" as this is a satellite service, not terrestrial. Please use ABM to organise your satellite and terrestrial bouquets (lists) - it's so much easier!

Agricola
30-06-23, 19:15
Thanks for your help Joe_90. Regarding the screenshot showing Quest Red, when I went on to the terrestrial services folder as in below
and click on RTE 1 and wait to get a screenshot of what comes up, even though on the TV it is not showing any picture, the screenshot shows the channel I was watching prior to my going in to the terrestrial services folder as in below

Agricola
30-06-23, 19:20
Looking back on your advice on post #80 when I press providers I get the following and don't see an option to select Saorview so maybe that is where I am going wrong with the loss of channels on Saroview?

Joe_90
01-07-23, 00:27
Only seeing this as I'm going to bed. You shouldn't be pressing Providers - you should be pressing Favourites after running ABM. Just run ABM and it will generate bouquets (lists of channels). If you have ABM configured properly (lets say with Sky UK and Saorview), then when you press BLUE (Favourites), you will get a meny list for Sky and one for Saorview and when you select those you will get an ordered list of channels.

EDIT - @abu - can you assist here, please? I think @Agricola is just selecting the wrong view and I have to "hit the hay" right now so I can't stay:sleep:

cactikid
01-07-23, 11:36
Could i ask if the Terrestrial tuner was scanned for your area and were all those channels working ? Yes ?

Setting up ABM was it set for your area.

Wonder what signal quality you are getting as i had an issue with ABM due to signal issue.

Agricola
01-07-23, 12:56
When I press favourites I get the following

When I go into the Saorview folder I get

When I press on RTE1 I get the following

Yes the terrestrial tuner was scanned to my area (Spur Hil) and they were all working so I am wondering if it is a signal issue?

abu baniaz
01-07-23, 13:02
Which image are you on? Please do not just say "latest".
Menu > Information > About will show you the details.

With regards to selecting channels, please see this thread:
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?63049-Bouquets-EPG-amp-Channel-navigation

You have scanned in the wrong transponders and added channels that you cannot receive.
Let us do the following:

1. Remove Terrestrial Services

Press Up (next to OK button near middle of remote)
Then Green (Orbital/satellite)
Highlight Terrestrial Services
Press Menu
Select "Remove Terrestrial Services"
Confirm the removal
Then restart the receiver using the remote

2. Do not use the scanning in Enigma2 for now. Especially not Automatic mode.

3. In AutoBouquetsMaker ensure that you select your region/area/mast.
Use ABM to "scan".

After ABM scans, refresh/reload your bouquets. Simplest way to explain this is: Restart your receiver using the remote

4. Check all the channels in the "Saorview - All Channels" bouquet/favourites group. Please do not use the provider group/category just yet.
Repot back if they are all working of if you have an issue.

Agricola
01-07-23, 13:27
Hi, this is the image I am on

I will now follow your instructions and report back

abu baniaz
01-07-23, 13:32
If you do not get all channels at stage 4, which multiplex does not work for you? Once you open the bouquet, before you press OK select the channel, the view will list the frequency. It is either C45 (666MHz) or C39 (618MHz).

Another way to check is:
Menu > Setup > Tuners & Scanning > Signal finder

Use the up/down/left/right buttons to change options

Select the tuner you want to test
Satellite: Should be on Terrestrial if you selected the Terrestrial tuner
Tune: Select predefined transponder
Transponder: Press left/right to change to 666 MHz or 618 MHz and
The signal levels should show and you should have a lock

Agricola
01-07-23, 13:49
Steps 1 and 2 carried out and now have no terrestrial channels.

For step 3 I went in to ABM>Providers and the following are the settings

I then went into this

and ended up getting this

I then go and reboot the box (as opposed to selecting restart GUI - just in case I am doing that wrong?) but still end up with no Saorview channels getting the following

and

Agricola
01-07-23, 13:57
If you do not get all channels at stage 4, which multiplex does not work for you? Once you open the bouquet, before you press OK select the channel, the view will list the frequency. It is either C45 (666MHz) or C39 (618MHz).

Another way to check is:
Menu > Setup > Tuners & Scanning > Signal finder

Use the up/down/left/right buttons to change options

Select the tuner you want to test
Satellite: Should be on Terrestrial if you selected the Terrestrial tuner
Tune: Select predefined transponder
Transponder: Press left/right to change to 666 MHz or 618 MHz and
The signal levels should show and you should have a lock

Having done this I figure that it is Channel 39 which is not really working, as it seems to come and go as per below

and sometimes I get

abu baniaz
01-07-23, 14:02
OK, so you will now have to investigate why you are not getting signal. If it is coming and going, usually a splitter or loose connection.

For now, Perform a manual scan. Ensure that you select only the working multiplex, 618MHz. You can do that in signal finder or manual scan. Once again, only one transponder/multiplex until you sort your signal issue.

Agricola
01-07-23, 14:33
Thanks abu baniaz and to Joe 90 and catkid for your input, I appreciate it. Back to checking aerials so and connections I guess!

Joe_90
01-07-23, 17:13
Apologies for my intermittent support on this (family issues at present).

I've checked the Saorview website for service interruptions and to verify the transmitter frequencies. Definitely C39 and C45. The fact that you are getting the lower channel 39 and no signal on 45 might indicate a cabling issue or possibly water in the cable. Also could be an unsuitable aerial, but unlikely unless you are on the fringes of reception of Spur Hill. Can you confirm that the Saorview website is telling you that Spur Hill is your ideal transmitter? The website has an address checker and it will give the bearing and distance of the transmitter from your address. What is this bearing and distance? Are you sure your aerial is horizontal (the elements are flat and not pointing up and down)?

Other things I noticed in your setup. The channel numbers are not the actual numbers used by Saorview, so I suspect that you are not using "Alternative Numbering Mode". I use this as it simplifies things for me and other users in the house. Saorview starts with channel number 1 (RTE1), then channel 2(RTE2) and so on. The satellite channels for Sky start from 101.

Here is a screenshot of Alternative Numbering mode

Here is the Saorview list with the channels starting at 1

Here is the Sky list with the channels starting at 101 - ignore the fact that the Saorview channel 30 and the PoP cartoon channels are on 50 and 58 - these are a consequence of my combined bouquet settings.

I would also simplify the Sky ABM settings if I were you. You have all the sections bouquets enabled. I have only the main bouquet enabled which means it doesn't generate a separate listing for each section.

Finally - this is my list when I press the BLUE (Favourites) button in the channels list (press UP arrow or DOWN arrow first). Note that I have just one entry each for Saorview, Sky and Freesat. Again, ignore the multitude of IPTV lists - they are just testing placeholders for me.

Hope this helps in the configuration. You do seem to have some sort of signal/cabling issue, though.

Agricola
01-07-23, 19:41
No problem Joe 90, and I appreciate your and the other people's time and effort in helping me. Yes Spur Hill is the transmitter as per Saorview website and bearing and distance is as below and yes aerial elements are flat

From what you are saying I too think that it's a cabling or aerial issue. The aerials have been there for years, but if I eliminate cabling issues I presume something like the one below for €25.95 will do the job?

Thanks for the screenshots re tidying up my setup.