PDA

View Full Version : Network Browser scanning issues.

cactikid
06-01-23, 22:59
Never got to ask this question as on Network Browser not everything gets picked up on scans.

All rooms have a switch been 5 or 8 ports.

All boxes have either Samba or Nfs installed and running .

Is this a common thing with a switch as reflashing all boxes for boxes to be upto date.

cactikid
11-01-23, 14:10
Even reboots fail to see boxes.

Huevos
11-01-23, 18:31
You do understand a switch filters network traffic?

cactikid
12-01-23, 00:13
No but i wondered how come i may see it sometimes on a network scan , so will need to get it mounted with a direct feed and go from there.

birdman
12-01-23, 02:28
You do understand a switch filters network traffic?An unmanaged one won't.

EDIT: Actually it seems that it will. Makes me wonder how I ever traced network traffic in the past.

spevs
18-01-23, 13:02
Anyone know where the Network Mounts details are stored, one of my boxes won't see one of the others unless I use expert mode and use IP address, this is ok and the mount works correctly but I'd like to amend the mount name from 192.168.1.X to Bedroom so that the Mrs knows where she's connecting to.........?

bellejt
18-01-23, 13:30
etc/hostname

spevs
18-01-23, 13:51
Perhaps I haven't explained it properly. Here as some screen shots 64652 64653

As you can see the Study box has it's host name and IP address, however, the bedroom is showing as only the IP address, I have tried and tried repeated scans but the Bedroom will not show as Bedroom (its Host File correctly shows Bedroom) what I'd like to do is edit the file that contains this info by FTPing onto the box. Hope this is more clear.........Spevs

tappari
18-01-23, 14:14
Anyone know where the Network Mounts details are stored, one of my boxes won't see one of the others unless I use expert mode and use IP address, this is ok and the mount works correctly but I'd like to amend the mount name from 192.168.1.X to Bedroom so that the Mrs knows where she's connecting to.........?

/etc/samba/distro/smb-global.conf
Edit this line: disable netbios = No
Default is Yes

spevs
18-01-23, 15:00
Thank you very much Tappari, I've edited both smb-global.conf files on the two boxes I did fresh installs of 6.3.001 and now they can see each others, only one box left to upgrade now...............cheers

birdman
19-01-23, 03:52
/etc/samba/distro/smb-global.conf
Edit this line: disable netbios = No
Default is YesOr run wsdd. Which is what Samba recommends...

tappari
20-01-23, 08:27
Or run wsdd. Which is what Samba recommends...

Please explain how to run wsdd in enigma2 boxes.

birdman
20-01-23, 13:02
Please explain how to run wsdd in enigma2 boxes.It just needs the wsdd package to be installed (which consists of the single file, /usr/sbin/wsdd).
This is actually a dependency for samba, so it should be installed if samba is.

I've just removed packagegroup-base-smbfs-server, samba and wsdd from my system.
A re-install of packagegroup-base-smbfs-server then produces:

[et8000]: opkg install packagegroup-base-smbfs-server
Installing wsdd (1.08) on root.
Downloading http://openvixdev.satellites-xml.org/feeds/openvix/developer/6.3/et8000/mips32el/wsdd_1.08-r0_mips32el.ipk.
Installing samba (4.15.11) on root.
Downloading http://openvixdev.satellites-xml.org/feeds/openvix/developer/6.3/et8000/mips32el/samba_4.15.11-r1_mips32el.ipk.
Installing packagegroup-base-smbfs-server (1.0) on root.
Downloading http://openvixdev.satellites-xml.org/feeds/openvix/developer/6.3/et8000/et8000/packagegroup-base-smbfs-server_1.0-r83_et8000.ipk.
Configuring wsdd.
Configuring samba.
Adding system startup for /etc/init.d/samba.
Starting Samba: smbd wsdd.
Configuring packagegroup-base-smbfs-server.

Joe_90
20-01-23, 14:24
That's interesting @birdman. It must be a new dependency for samba to install a discovery server. That should help users of MS PC systems to discover enigma boxes on their networks, now that netbios is disabled on Win10/11 by default. I don't have samba (server) installed on any of my boxes, just the default smbclient, so I generally just use the IP address of the destination box when I'm mounting SMB network shares like my NAS or NFS shares on other enigma boxes.

birdman
20-01-23, 17:50
That's interesting @birdman. It must be a new dependency for samba to install a discovery server.It came along a few months ago.

That should help users of MS PC systems to discover enigma boxes on their networks, now that netbios is disabled on Win10/11 by default.It does. Also helps my wife's system see the backup server (also Samba).

I just put things into DNS (Asus routers are very handy for this...)

Joe_90
21-01-23, 01:15
My own home system works over DNS because I have OpenWRT running on my TP-Link router and I have each enigma box named. We have exchanged this info in other threads about samba.