PDA

View Full Version : Unicable assistance from Australia !

Aust-VAST
02-01-23, 07:24
Hi all and if so HNY!

Out here in the start of Summer it is mid 30's °C on the roof already and I have a new OS MIO+ 4K and Unicable to get this elusive OPTUS D1 (https://www.lyngsat.com/Optus-D1.html) satellite with all the ABC/ SBS (Australian Public FTA broadcasters) lined up after an interval of 5 years without, interim we have had to use the beastly VAST, pay for access (sort of) not all services available and a 3 second channel change delay on a good day.

Australia is a big place, there are feeds for every time zone on D1 and as we are a Sheep Station, well inland, it is handy to come in late and record/ watch something from an interstate feed which can be 1hr ahead, ½hr, 1hr, 1½hrs or 2hrs behind our Eastern time Zone, :) yes five time zones when horrid DST is enabled and three time zones for the disabled DST six months.

The satellite is over head 11° East and has a low signal because the broadcasting sites where it is designed for have typically 4M+ rx dishes, BUT all TP's here are within 2% RSQ.

So, I have a 1.5M PF (prime focus) from Australia's first system in the 1970's called HACBSS (Homestead and Community Broadcasting Satellite Service) which was connected to a B-MAC decoder from Scientific Atlanta ! (I still have the decoder and it was the first sold in this area).

Anyway essay over, time moves on and multistream comes to D1 in 2017, so our DUO 2 can't sit with that, but the Edision now can. :cool: (More later/ in the MIO+ 4k thread, wrt).

From the PF dish I get fairly good stable results of about 85% signal quality.

On another I have a 1M with a new GT-SAT GT S1dCSS24 Unicable LNB from WOS, fed with low loss quad shield foam ½" 75Ω.

When I connect to the (GT-SAT GT S1dCSS24) legacy port on D1 the Edision gives stable and better quality than the PF as its NF is 0.3dB whilst the GT-SAT LNB is 0.1dB, which is rare here for LNB's and cannot be bought/ found in Australia at that low figure.

However when I use the Unicable port and set the Edision to what I reckon are the correct choices (see following images), the signal pulses in and out, from 88% to 0% all the time, with a sequence of six seconds.

So at 0s = 88%, 3s = 40%, 6s = 0% RSQ ! Over and over on a loop (have I said something there?).:confused:

There is a Telstra approved/ branded 700mHZ cell extender antenna along from the Unicable dish, but turning it off doesn't improve the behaviour.

I am sure there will be instruction (to novice) from the big KB which is VIX/ WOS !!

PF x 0.3dB single LNB stable service

Change to Unicable LNB

Unicable peak signal

6 Seconds later low signal

twol
02-01-23, 08:46
Hi all and if so HNY!

Out here in the start of Summer it is mid 30's °C on the roof already and I have a new OS MIO+ 4K and Unicable to get this elusive OPTUS D1 (https://www.lyngsat.com/Optus-D1.html) satellite with all the ABC/ SBS (Australian Public FTA broadcasters) lined up after an interval of 5 years without, interim we have had to use the beastly VAST, pay for access (sort of) not all services available and a 3 second channel change delay on a good day.

Australia is a big place, there are feeds for every time zone on D1 and as we are a Sheep Station, well inland, it is handy to come in late and record/ watch something from an interstate feed which can be 1hr ahead, ½hr, 1hr, 1½hrs or 2hrs behind our Eastern time Zone, :) yes five time zones when horrid DST is enabled and three time zones for the disabled DST six months.

The satellite is over head 11° East and has a low signal because the broadcasting sites where it is designed for have typically 4M+ rx dishes, BUT all TP's here are within 2% RSQ.

So, I have a 1.5M PF (prime focus) from Australia's first system in the 1970's called HACBSS (Homestead and Community Broadcasting Satellite Service) which was connected to a B-MAC decoder from Scientific Atlanta ! (I still have the decoder and it was the first sold in this area).

Anyway essay over, time moves on and multistream comes to D1 in 2017, so our DUO 2 can't sit with that, but the Edision now can. :cool: (More later/ in the MIO+ 4k thread, wrt).

From the PF dish I get fairly good stable results of about 85% signal quality.

On another I have a 1M with a new GT-SAT GT S1dCSS24 Unicable LNB from WOS, fed with low loss quad shield foam ½" 75Ω.

When I connect to the (GT-SAT GT S1dCSS24) legacy port on D1 the Edision gives stable and better quality than the PF as its NF is 0.3dB whilst the GT-SAT LNB is 0.1dB, which is rare here for LNB's and cannot be bought/ found in Australia at that low figure.

However when I use the Unicable port and set the Edision to what I reckon are the correct choices (see following images), the signal pulses in and out, from 88% to 0% all the time, with a sequence of six seconds.

So at 0s = 88%, 3s = 40%, 6s = 0% RSQ ! Over and over on a loop (have I said something there?).:confused:

There is a Telstra approved/ branded 700mHZ cell extender antenna along from the Unicable dish, but turning it off doesn't improve the behaviour.

I am sure there will be instruction (to novice) from the big KB which is VIX/ WOS !!

PF x 0.3dB single LNB stable service

Change to Unicable LNB

Unicable peak signal

6 Seconds later low signal
Try a different userband, in case there is interference from some where. My mio4k likes a really good signal on unicable …. Also takes (long) time to lock, but usually stable once locked.

Aust-VAST
03-01-23, 07:42
Thank you for the reply and I have tried all 24 userands and it behaves the same.

Also I have a second one GT S3dCSS24 with the same result when I try.

Actually as we have satellite Internet here on Ku I thought 'aha' that would be it but alas turning it off for a few minutes didn't improve anything.

Also turned off our 4G LTE 700mHZ modem without benefit.

'twas but worth a try !

Aust-VAST
06-01-23, 11:07
Try a different userband, in case there is interference from some where. My mio4k likes a really good signal on unicable …. Also takes (long) time to lock, but usually stable once locked.

Thank you for the reply, also I have the satelliteequipmentcontrol plugin have adjusted the 'Unicable delay after enable voltage switch command' and have adjusted the choices from low to high but it hasn't improved the result.

So for now it is back to legacy mode and have pretty good results there at least.