PDA

View Full Version : Favourites EPG creation

ALIEN1X
30-11-22, 22:14
I have et8500 box running OpenVix 6.2.011
I want to create an EPG of my favourites which I have created by ABM of channels from 28.2E, is there a way I can create an EPG?

adm
30-11-22, 23:41
I have et8500 box running OpenVix 6.2.011
I want to create an EPG of my favourites which I have created by ABM of channels from 28.2E, is there a way I can create an EPG?

Turn on the Freesat epg (i) or turn on the openTV EPG and then tune into the Sky IEPG data 1 channel for approx 5 to 10 minutes (ii)

i) menu/setup/epg/settings/enable freesat epg = yes. Not all Free To Air channels available on 28.2 are in the Freesat epg so try ii) if you are missing some. It may take a few minutes for the EPG to populate

ii) menu/setup/epg/settings/enable freesat epg = no, enable openTV EPG = yes
Then tune into the Sky IEPG data 1 channel for, say, 5 minutes each day to fetch the Sky EPG over the air.
Press the TV button on the remote then select green (satellite) then 28.2E Astra 2E/2F/2G services then scroll up/down until you get to IEPG data 1. Select this channel and remain on it for 5 to 10 minutes. Your screen will be blank. The list you scroll up/down is arranged alphabetically.
Now check you have a populated EPG

There are various ways of (automatically) tuning into the Sky IEPG data 1 channel each day
I have timer set to tune in every morning at around 6:30am for 10 minutes.

Otherwise what channels are missing EPG data?

Edit
Do you actually mean EPG data OR how to create a list of favourite channels?

abu baniaz
01-12-22, 02:00
I think he means he wants to create a bouquet with the channels he watches regularly. If so, best to use a favourites.xml so ABM creates it for him. If he can list the channels, we can write a file for him to start off with.

Otherwise he will have to make a bouquet with remote or program such as E-channelizer/Dreamboxedit and keep it updated.

adm
01-12-22, 09:10
I think he means he wants to create a bouquet with the channels he watches regularly. If so, best to use a favourites.xml so ABM creates it for him. If he can list the channels, we can write a file for him to start off with.

Otherwise he will have to make a bouquet with remote or program such as E-channelizer/Dreamboxedit and keep it updated.

Or use the Bouquet Editor in the Web Interface (Webif)

cactikid
01-12-22, 21:15
I take it you need an active network to use Webif meaning a network connection ?

adm
01-12-22, 21:48
I take it you need an active network to use Webif meaning a network connection ?

Yes you need your box connected to your home network.

You then find the IP of your box (menu/information/network/IP = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) and just put this IP number into the address bar of your internet browser on your PC

ALIEN1X
02-12-22, 12:25
Hi
I assume its just IEPG data 1 under 28.2e becasue the list dose not specifcally say 'Sky IEPG data 1' ?

The EPG has populated.

There are some channels that dont clear like Bloomberg HD ?

I assume favourites are stored as channels via ABM, is there a way favourates can be addded with one click of a button when scrolling thru channel list just like on a smart tv remote?

abu baniaz
02-12-22, 14:02
If you create your own favourites (of channels) , you would select them the same way as the ABM favourites (of channels) .

Have you set ABM to work in FTA only mode?

ALIEN1X
03-12-22, 20:56
I have now got it to work although there is the problem of some channels not clearing or saying tune failed for example itvhd london
Fixed dish is alighed ok at 28.e
After going thru all the list of channels under 28.2e i noticed it has something to do with 'REGION' when confiering providers as i was not getting ITV hD london so I tried Meridian/Thames valley and it worked but that was just for itv. Im based near Romford so sounds bit strange im not picking up data from London region.
The sat box is connected to VPN router which is assigned to a difrent location in the country so surely it cant be a network issue.
I have attached my ABM and EPG settings incase I have a few errors.

abu baniaz
03-12-22, 21:18
Can we please keep this thread to bouquets/channel list only. Let us not confuse things by adding EPG into the mix. It is a separate process, we can deal with later.

If you are getting tune failed message, you have a hardware issue. Dish is not aligned properly, LNB skew, how far LNB is in etc, F-plug not connected properly, water damage to cabling, or even PSU not supplying enough power, etc.

ITV London HD is on 12363 MHz, Vertical. Select that in Signal finder and tweak your dish/LNB until you do not get the error. Please accept this fact and do not waste your time on other variables.

I am only a couple of miles down the road from you. But those frequency details apply to everyone in the UK. It is the frequency the the satellite in the sky is using.

abu baniaz
03-12-22, 21:27
Secondly, if you perform a scan (not using ABM), how many services/channels do you get?

Set up your scan as in this picture and report back. Please take a screenshot of the scan settings you use so we can double check you are doing it correctly.

ALIEN1X
18-12-22, 00:18
Secondly, if you perform a scan (not using ABM), how many services/channels do you get?

Set up your scan as in this picture and report back. Please take a screenshot of the scan settings you use so we can double check you are doing it correctly.

I have spent all weak checking the cables, face plates aligntment etc even in the snow:)

My sat meter reads 90% at 28.2e thats the best I can get

looking at the manual signal finder and tweaking alignment and scew see the attached scan results.

Im still not getting 12363v for London itv HD etc

Below are the list of transpnder results ( the transponders that were picked up habe a good signal similar to whars shown on the attachenment.

Picking up all transponders from 10714H 22000 5/6 - 11426V 29500 8/9
Then signal drops off at 11479v 27500 5/6 and no signal up to 11798H 30000 1/2

Picking up signals 11836H 27500 5/6 to 1266H 27500 2/3
Then no signal 12285v 27500 2/3 - 12725v 30000 5/6

May be some transponders are blocked out due to location of dish which could be affecting the ABM, hense why I could be getting the ones outside London region?

abu baniaz
18-12-22, 01:31
Your issue is not ABM, nothing is affecting ABM it is working fine. You are wasting your time, energy and effort looking at it. ABM reads the SI tables and adds services accordingly. Yes there is code for overrides etc, but that is not used in your case. If hypothetically speaking, you were only able to receive the home transponder for Sky UK and nothing else, ABM will add all the Sky channels even though you cannot receive them.

You are getting 657 channels on a manual scan. You should be getting more than 850. I've just got 866.
Maybe the LNB is faulty, maybe another device connected to LNB is causing issue. (I vaguely remember you using a splitter from one room to another.) Maybe damage to cable, F-plug has an issue? Maybe you are splitting signal between satellite receivers/tuners/TVs? Maybe you are using a diplexer. You need to investigate and rule things out.

Let the weather improve and try again. I'd start off by switching off all receivers connected to the LNB, not just standby. Run a signal wire from the LNB direct to the receiver and check the tuner with that cable. Try scanning the transponder with London HD, then do a single satellite scan. If you don't get 850+ channels, there is likely a problem with the LNB.

abu baniaz
18-12-22, 01:46
I found some of your other threads/posts
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?65134-Tunner-A-amp-B-config-motorised-setup&p=523626&viewfull=1#post523626

And now you say: "Fixed dish is aligned ok at 28.2e". So I am assuming put in an additional dish. So maybe diseqc switch issue. Please draw another diagram with all your dishes, wiring, splitters, faceplates, receivers etc.

I think your dish is aligned correctly by the way.

ALIEN1X
24-12-22, 02:20
I found some of your other threads/posts
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?65134-Tunner-A-amp-B-config-motorised-setup&p=523626&viewfull=1#post523626

And now you say: "Fixed dish is aligned ok at 28.2e". So I am assuming put in an additional dish. So maybe diseqc switch issue. Please draw another diagram with all your dishes, wiring, splitters, faceplates, receivers etc.

I think your dish is aligned correctly by the way.

I have attached a diagram of my entire set up.
No switches or splitters involved.
After checking cables, LNB, and face plates the problem lies in the connection in the front room shown red in the attached diagram. Its iether the type of cable that connects the face plates between rooms or face plate it self or both.
The rear room has no problems at all.
I could only open up the face plate in the rear room that has the loop extension cable as the front room was to tight to open and I did not want to break anything since it also connects to my broadband modem.
I have a feeling the cable shown dotted in red dose not allow transponders at higher frequencies.
I have also attached photos of the face plates

abu baniaz
24-12-22, 09:17
Does the ET8500 only have one tuner?

Personally, I wouldn't use those face plates. A 4 gang box with separate f connections or even individual modules would be better. The looping could be done directly inside. F plugs would be far better than the way you have screwed them in. Your problem may even be the shared connection plate with router.

You have not explicitly mentioned switching off all receivers and testing one at a time, there is a weird fault with Sky LNBs when that only happens when more than one port is used. Swappibg the cables on LNB end is another test.

You could connect the 28.2 wire to the Vu, then use the Xtrend in client mode. You then avoid using the cabling to Xtrend apart from ethernet.

Edit:

I have a feeling the cable shown dotted in red dose not allow transponders at higher frequencies.

Virgin cable is of a very good quality. They cant afford to install using poor quality cable and come back because of signal issue. As above, bypass the face plate and use f-plugs. If it is still the cable, more likely the kinks and quality of connections on face plates. You have two really bad kinks in one of your pictures.

ALIEN1X
26-12-22, 19:54
Does the ET8500 only have one tuner?

Personally, I wouldn't use those face plates. A 4 gang box with separate f connections or even individual modules would be better. The looping could be done directly inside. F plugs would be far better than the way you have screwed them in. Your problem may even be the shared connection plate with router.

You have not explicitly mentioned switching off all receivers and testing one at a time, there is a weird fault with Sky LNBs when that only happens when more than one port is used. Swappibg the cables on LNB end is another test.

You could connect the 28.2 wire to the Vu, then use the Xtrend in client mode. You then avoid using the cabling to Xtrend apart from ethernet.

Edit:

Virgin cable is of a very good quality. They cant afford to install using poor quality cable and come back because of signal issue. As above, bypass the face plate and use f-plugs. If it is still the cable, more likely the kinks and quality of connections on face plates. You have two really bad kinks in one of your pictures.

Hi
Yes all recivers and tvs were switched off and tested one at a time on all cables individually.

I will try swaping the cables over at LNB end.

I can try haveing the face plates changed for 4 gang box with seperate 'f' connectors, but is that not similar to what i have by using 2 x twin connecing face plate boxes?

I understand looping to extend the network can be done internally i assume thats using a splice connetor/adaoptor to directly connect to cables together?

I thought what Im using are F plugs?

I will see if I can get the router and saterlite face plate/box seperated just incase there is interfearence.

What is ment by using the Xtrend reciver in client mode?

I should metioned on post 15 that when using the built in Sat tunner in my smart TV in front or rear rooms they do not pic up transponders in the upper frequency range for example ITVLondon HD 12363V, I assume thats becaue they are only basic recivers with limitations unlike linux boxes.

cactikid
26-12-22, 20:11
Client mode can be used on a box with no sat or other feeds but needs lan connection [ box ip from another E2 box on your network ]

It uses a tuner on sat say your using a 4 sat tuner input for various sat feeds on your main box and entering this box ip on other box you stream and can control what you view on the non sat connected through your lan setup.

You are switching off your tuner settings and using client mode on box with no feeds.

adm
26-12-22, 21:56
Cables do not perform well if crushed, often when bent sharply in back boxes. Try see what happens if you loosen the faceplates for your inter-room cable to perhaps remove any sharp bends behind the faceplate. A crushed or sharply bent cable may/will only affect certain frequencies, and not others.

I can try haveing the face plates changed for 4 gang box with seperate 'f' connectors, but is that not similar to what i have by using 2 x twin connecing face plate boxes?

Make your own faceplates

Buy a couple of blank faceplates from any electrical supplier - example

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-1-gang-blanking-plate-white/65793

Drill two holes in each

Screw in some F barrel connectors - example (just make sure that when purchased they include the nuts - some sellers do not advertise with nuts because these barrel connectors can be used for other types of cable joining where the nuts are unused)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352804014183

Fit F plugs to the wires currently behind you existing faceplates and screw into the barrel connectors in your DIY faceplates

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/reference/resources/multiple-outlet-plates.pdf

Why your unscreened wall-plates are not recommended (note: Satcure no longer trade but have left their information web pages up)
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/wall_plates.htm

abu baniaz
27-12-22, 00:11

[QUOTE=ALIEN1X;529812]
I understand looping to extend the network can be done internally I assume that's using a splice connector/adaptor to directly connect to cables together?

Which network are you talking about? I was referring to ethernet cables that are connected to the receivers/router. You cannot splice/split them

I thought what Im using are F plugs?

You are at the end. But you have some f-face plates that are dubious. And some really bad connections. Look at your picture SAM_8217. Shocking!

I should mentioned on post 15 that when using the built in Sat tunner in my smart TV in front or rear rooms they do not pic up transponders in the upper frequency range for example ITV London HD 12363V, I assume that's because they are only basic receivers with limitations unlike linux boxes.

Your diagram did not show satellite tuner in your front room. Until you have good connections between your cables, you are in guessing mode and clutching at straws. If you are using the TVs in Freesat mode, they should just work. There should be no limitation.

What is meant by using the Xtrend receiver in client mode?

I am suggesting that in the interim, you do not use the tuner/cabling to the xtrend. Just use the ethernet cable and use the tuner in the Vu+. I.e remove a variable. We assumed everything is working fine up to the back room.
See here: https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?56598-NEW-Client-mode-introduced-in-OpenViX-build-5-0-013

Unless comfortable, please ignore it.

ALIEN1X
27-12-22, 00:13
Client mode can be used on a box with no sat or other feeds but needs lan connection [ box ip from another E2 box on your network ]

It uses a tuner on sat say your using a 4 sat tuner input for various sat feeds on your main box and entering this box ip on other box you stream and can control what you view on the non sat connected through your lan setup.

You are switching off your tuner settings and using client mode on box with no feeds.

So 2 sat boxes are needed, one acting as server with active tuners providng the feed and a client sat box where you do not use the in built tuner but rely on the ethernet cable to stream the feed for the server?
An they both have to be E2 boxes runing vix?

ALIEN1X
27-12-22, 00:23
Cables do not perform well if crushed, often when bent sharply in back boxes. Try see what happens if you loosen the faceplates for your inter-room cable to perhaps remove any sharp bends behind the faceplate. A crushed or sharply bent cable may/will only affect certain frequencies, and not others.

Make your own faceplates

Buy a couple of blank faceplates from any electrical supplier - example

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-1-gang-blanking-plate-white/65793

Drill two holes in each

Screw in some F barrel connectors - example (just make sure that when purchased they include the nuts - some sellers do not advertise with nuts because these barrel connectors can be used for other types of cable joining where the nuts are unused)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352804014183

Fit F plugs to the wires currently behind you existing faceplates and screw into the barrel connectors in your DIY faceplates

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/reference/resources/multiple-outlet-plates.pdf

Why your unscreened wall-plates are not recommended (note: Satcure no longer trade but have left their information web pages up)
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/wall_plates.htm

Thanks I will look into this

ALIEN1X
27-12-22, 00:37
[QUOTE=ALIEN1X;529812]

Which network are you talking about? I was referring to ethernet cables that are connected to the receivers/router. You cannot splice/split them

You are at the end. But you have some f-face plates that are dubious. And some really bad connections. Look at your picture SAM_8217. Shocking!

Your diagram did not show satellite tuner in your front room. Until you have good connections between your cables, you are in guessing mode and clutching at straws. If you are using the TVs in Freesat mode, they should just work. There should be no limitation.

I am suggesting that in the interim, you do not use the tuner/cabling to the xtrend. Just use the ethernet cable and use the tuner in the Vu+. I.e remove a variable. We assumed everything is working fine up to the back room.
See here: https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?56598-NEW-Client-mode-introduced-in-OpenViX-build-5-0-013

Unless comfortable, please ignore it.

Thanks I will have to look into all of this.The faceplate and wiring was done by electricians when they rewired the whole house around 4 yrs ago but I dont think they were competent when wiring data cables or coax

abu baniaz
27-12-22, 03:17
Here is a link to a screened dual face plate.

https://www.toolstation.com/proception-screened-socket/p13270

https://www.toolstation.com/euro-module-tvsat-outlet/p64424

cactikid
27-12-22, 12:26
So 2 sat boxes are needed, one acting as server with active tuners providng the feed and a client sat box where you do not use the in built tuner but rely on the ethernet cable to stream the feed for the server?
An they both have to be E2 boxes runing vix?

I have only got E2 boxes and single tuner so i cannot comment if other boxes could or do offer it.
I only use Vix

ALIEN1X
27-12-22, 13:58
Here is a link to a screened dual face plate.

https://www.toolstation.com/proception-screened-socket/p13270

https://www.toolstation.com/euro-module-tvsat-outlet/p64424

Thanks I was actually thinking of shielded version as my current ones are not

ALIEN1X
27-12-22, 22:49
Just found out there are brushed faceplates where the cable just goes thru without any termination and just simply add a F barrell on the end.

which one has the least signal loss/interfearence - ' F barrell' thu wall conection or shieled faceplate?

abu baniaz
28-12-22, 11:40
Most people have f plugs and barrel connectors knocking around. Surely you would try the free option first? You can get those covers later.

ALIEN1X
01-01-23, 18:46
Hi ,
I have now changed the face plates both ends of the suspected coax cable for shielded ones and noticed a vast improvement and also picture quality too.
I can no set up ABM as orignally asked.
Although I get 817 - 826 channels as apposed 866, I noticed thats because of the kinks/exposed brading where it terminates at the plates which I have temporally taped with pvc tape.
I noticed that when straighting out kinks there is imrprovement.At some point I will need to change the cable as im not missing that many channels, so for now it will do.

I thank everyone who contributed on this post, and sheiled wall plates is the way to go. Happy New Year.

adm
01-01-23, 22:52
Hi ,
I have now changed the face plates both ends of the suspected coax cable for shielded ones and noticed a vast improvement and also picture quality too.
I can no set up ABM as orignally asked.
Although I get 817 - 826 channels as apposed 866, I noticed thats because of the kinks/exposed brading where it terminates at the plates which I have temporally taped with pvc tape.
I noticed that when straighting out kinks there is imrprovement.At some point I will need to change the cable as im not missing that many channels, so for now it will do.

I thank everyone who contributed on this post, and sheiled wall plates is the way to go. Happy New Year.

When changing the cable go for Webro WF100 with a foam dielectric which is less prone to crushing or kinking. Many suppliers on Ebay for shorter lengths. In your photo one of your cables has an air spaced dielectric.

The following article gives some insight to cable types but is perhaps 20+ years old and prices mentioned in the article are well out of date
https://www.wrightsaerials.co.uk/articles/coax-cable-quality.shtml

abu baniaz
02-01-23, 03:22
When fault finding, you are complicating things by using ABM. If it can tune in to the home transponder, it will add all the services/channels even if you can't receive them.

Please perform a manual, single satellite scan and report back with how many channels you get.

ALIEN1X
02-01-23, 19:20
When changing the cable go for Webro WF100 with a foam dielectric which is less prone to crushing or kinking. Many suppliers on Ebay for shorter lengths. In your photo one of your cables has an air spaced dielectric.

The following article gives some insight to cable types but is perhaps 20+ years old and prices mentioned in the article are well out of date
https://www.wrightsaerials.co.uk/articles/coax-cable-quality.shtml

The cable that is at fault is the virgin media type cable suitable for modem/cable tv. The cabel core has some kind of foam filling?
I though RG6 was the better cable to get when using google?

ALIEN1X
02-01-23, 19:25
When fault finding, you are complicating things by using ABM. If it can tune in to the home transponder, it will add all the services/channels even if you can't receive them.

Please perform a manual, single satellite scan and report back with how many channels you get.

Did manual scan and got 804 first attempt, then teaked the able a bit and got 822. The cable at fault is the one with foam type filling, the other cable that has a hollow type direlectric has no problem...touch wood.

adm
02-01-23, 20:40
The cable that is at fault is the virgin media type cable suitable for modem/cable tv. The cabel core has some kind of foam filling?
I though RG6 was the better cable to get when using google?

In my opinion, RG6 is too generic and so variable in specification dependant on manufacturer. If you can establish the manufacturer and find a data sheet then some is of the better specification RG6 is equivalent to Webro WF100. For short runs of perhaps 5 to 10 metres you will possibly not notice any difference with a medium quality RG6 cable

Better quality RG6 is 30dB loss per 100 metres @2GHz
https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2331674.pdf

Medium quality RG6 is 40dB loss per 100 metres @2GHz
https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/585555/Product-Page-Assets/Copper/Coax-Cables/rg6-quad-plenum.pdf

Poor quality RG6 is 50dB loss per 100 metres @2GHz
https://www.koax24.de/storage/datasheet/de/050261_Datenblatt_RG6AU.pdf

Webro WF100 is around 33dB per 100m @2.4GHz
https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2851701.pdf

adm
02-01-23, 20:43
Did manual scan and got 804 first attempt, then teaked the able a bit and got 822. The cable at fault is the one with foam type filling, the other cable that has a hollow type direlectric has no problem...touch wood.

What did you tweak to increase the number of channels. The dish. LNB position, the cable or a setting on the box?

ALIEN1X
02-01-23, 23:04
In my opinion, RG6 is too generic and so variable in specification dependant on manufacturer. If you can establish the manufacturer and find a data sheet then some is of the better specification RG6 is equivalent to Webro WF100. For short runs of perhaps 5 to 10 metres you will possibly not notice any difference with a medium quality RG6 cable

Better quality RG6 is 30dB loss per 100 metres @2GHz
https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2331674.pdf

Medium quality RG6 is 40dB loss per 100 metres @2GHz
https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/585555/Product-Page-Assets/Copper/Coax-Cables/rg6-quad-plenum.pdf

Poor quality RG6 is 50dB loss per 100 metres @2GHz
https://www.koax24.de/storage/datasheet/de/050261_Datenblatt_RG6AU.pdf

Webro WF100 is around 33dB per 100m @2.4GHz
https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2851701.pdf

My cable run is 10-15m approx and runs under floor boards between the two rooms and comes out into coax sockets just above the skirting as per diagram shown on post 15. I attach the picture of the cable that I propose to replace at some point. I want to avoid pulling up floorbaords so will have tie the new cable to old and pull it through hoping it dose not get caught . So would I be better off with WF100?

ALIEN1X
02-01-23, 23:07
What did you tweak to increase the number of channels. The dish. LNB position, the cable or a setting on the box?

The cable, tried to straighten out some of the kinks and the short loop cable as shown on post 15 and tape around some of the exoposed brading. All this is temporary till I try to replace the cable under the floor