PDA

View Full Version : /media/hdd set to read only

Willo3092
27-09-22, 19:53
I had problems last week on my GB UHD UE and saw that /media/hdd had been set as read only in Mount Manager.
I rebooted and the drive wouldn't mount at all so I tried to initialise it but this failed because of the R/O attribute.

I removed the drive, which is a 128Gb Sandisk USB drive and replaced it to get the box working.

I have spent most of the day trying to either remove the R/O attribute or just delete the partition and reformat and had no luck whatsoever.

I've tried various partition managers in Windows and also diskpart. I've also tried Gparted and the disk utility in Ubuntu with no success.

Is it just something that has gone faulty or has anyone else had any similar experiences or success with anything like this?

twol
27-09-22, 20:07
I had problems last week on my GB UHD UE and saw that /media/hdd had been set as read only in Mount Manager.
I rebooted and the drive wouldn't mount at all so I tried to initialise it but this failed because of the R/O attribute.

I removed the drive, which is a 128Gb Sandisk USB drive and replaced it to get the box working.

I have spent most of the day trying to either remove the R/O attribute or just delete the partition and reformat and had no luck whatsoever.

I've tried various partition managers in Windows and also diskpart. I've also tried Gparted and the disk utility in Ubuntu with no success.

Is it just something that has gone faulty or has anyone else had any similar experiences or success with anything like this?

Have to say I have had this numerous times wuth usb sticks - I have never fixed them and now just bin them…..

Huevos
28-09-22, 17:05
I'm still using my stick from the original Duo formatted ext4. Is your stick Windows format?

Willo3092
28-09-22, 17:16
No, it's ext4. I've been using it for about a year in the GB UHD UE and then suddenly got lots of errors and failed recordings and found it was set read only. Unable to mount after a reboot.

Huevos
29-09-22, 07:52
Sounds like it's knackered. I only use mine for picons and logs.

Willo3092
29-09-22, 12:28
I have an issue that must be related to the NAS.
The bulk of my recordings are done on a Vu+ Uno 4K with FBC tuners, recording directly to the NAS. The GB UHD UE 4K is our main box and I sometimes do unplanned, one off recordings on it.
If I record directly to the NAS and start watching before the recording has finished it spools for 30 seconds to a minute after pressing the stop button for it to refresh the recordings list.

As a workaround I record to media/hdd/movie/ and copy the contents of the movie folder to the NAS on a cron timer in the early hours of the morning.
I don't have any issues recording to the hdd.

I will have to get the debug log to try and see what is causing it.

This is not a new issue, it's been happening as long as I can remember. At least from 5.3 but I can't remember it happening on 5.2.

Valiant
29-09-22, 13:41
I once had a problem whereby I could not remove the write protection that had mysteriously appeared on a previously write-able USB stick. I discovered the following method that removed the write protection: -

How to erase and format a write-protected USB flash drive & pen drive using Regedit.exe

Click Start, type Regedit in the search box, click Regedit.exe to open the Registry editor when you see it is displayed at the top of the list. And then navigate to the following key:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlS et\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

Double-click on the WriteProtect value in the right-hand pane of Regedit.exe. Change the Value data from 1 to 0 and click OK to save the change. Close Regedit and restart your computer. Connect your USB flash drive or pen drive again, and you should find the write protection is removed and the device is no longer write protected.

After that, you can now format the drive as normal by right-clicking on it in My Computer and choosing Format. "The disk is write protected" error message will no longer pop up.

Valiant
29-09-22, 13:49
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlS et\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

There is no space in the word CurrentControlSet - could not edit it out of the post

Willo3092
29-09-22, 16:21
That key doesn't seem to be in my registry on Windows 8.1.
I only have:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Storage

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\StorageManagement

The WriteProtect key isn't in either of them.

gws
29-09-22, 17:02
I used this method. https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001617.htm

Willo3092
29-09-22, 18:59
I once had a problem whereby I could not remove the write protection that had mysteriously appeared on a previously write-able USB stick. I discovered the following method that removed the write protection: -

How to erase and format a write-protected USB flash drive & pen drive using Regedit.exe

Click Start, type Regedit in the search box, click Regedit.exe to open the Registry editor when you see it is displayed at the top of the list. And then navigate to the following key:

Double-click on the WriteProtect value in the right-hand pane of Regedit.exe. Change the Value data from 1 to 0 and click OK to save the change. Close Regedit and restart your computer. Connect your USB flash drive or pen drive again, and you should find the write protection is removed and the device is no longer write protected.

After that, you can now format the drive as normal by right-clicking on it in My Computer and choosing Format. "The disk is write protected" error message will no longer pop up.

Unfortunately this didn't work even after creating the registry key myself. It doesn't show in My Computer anyway because it's formatted as ext4. Thanks for the advice anyway, it may help someone else :thumbsup:

Willo3092
29-09-22, 19:03
I used this method. https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001617.htm

Thanks, there is no switch on the drive and I'd already tried diskpart and the registry hack. I can't change security permissions because it's ext4 and doesn't appear in My Computer in Windows.
I think it's probably knackered so will just get a new one.

Valiant
30-09-22, 11:54
That key doesn't seem to be in my registry on Windows 8.1.
I only have:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Storage

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\StorageManagement

The WriteProtect key isn't in either of them.

Yes the method I described was on a Windows 10 laptop nearly five years ago, so not surprising that it is not usable on earlier Windows versions.

Funny how the rogue space character has crept into your posted registry key as well :)

Willo3092
30-09-22, 12:00
Yes, I went back to edit it and there was no space there :confused:
Maybe pasting as code would be better?