PDA

View Full Version : Ultimo getting very hot

deltec
08-09-22, 18:27
Mu Ultimo is getting very hot. Any one else had the same problem?

adm
09-09-22, 00:20
Mu Ultimo is getting very hot. Any one else had the same problem?

Often a problem with under the TV boxes if you have them in a stack. Not enough free flow of air around the box and being heated for another box in the stack.
In some cases the feet on a box are not deep enough so little cooling air can get beneath the box (some sky boxes have this problem and they overheat) The solution is to raise the box up on two narrow strips of wood or to make deeper feet from stick on felt pads.

https://tinyurl.com/585xjus3

If you have an AV this can be big problem for stacking. The manufacturers of my AV amp recommend at least 4 inches of free air above the box and nothing stacked beneath it :)

deltec
09-09-22, 04:51
The thing I’ve got nothing stacked on it at all

deltec
09-09-22, 04:58
64237 this is were my vu ultimate is placed

thecaretaker
09-09-22, 18:54
I had heat problems. I kept getting little dots in lines appear on the picture. A press of the OK button (infobar) would clear them. Often the temperature got up to around 60-65c. I replaced the cloth feet for 1/2 inch rubber feet and fixed them with double sided 3m tape.

I also fitted a twin 40mm 5v USB fans with a 3 speed switch inline. One fan is fitted to the lid air grill (inside) removing the hot air inside the box and the other I installed upright (using Velcro) blowing across the circuit board. The lead comes out the back and plugs into the spare USB socket.

The result is the temperature sticks to around 39-40c. No more lines of dots.

adm
09-09-22, 20:07
One fan is fitted to the lid air grill (inside)

I did similar to a Topfield box with the fan blowing out and speed limited to the slowest it would go without stalling on start-up. It reduced the internal temperature by around 15C. The fan was fixed to the top case with cable ties - the cheap and nasty very flexible chinese c**p type rather than a decent nylon type. The very soft plastic allowed the fan to be tight to the top of the case.

adm
09-09-22, 20:10
64237 this is were my vu ultimate is placed

Raise the bottom of the box above the shelf by around 10/20mm and see if it reduces the temperature. I've found that by increasing the height of the feet boxes work cooler.

vuwer
11-09-22, 02:14
First of all - do you have HDD installed inside?

in my case HDD is 57C and CPU has 70C. HDD is warming up the motherboard.

And how many other tuners you have installed - internal and external?

adm
11-09-22, 08:29
First of all - do you have HDD installed inside?

in my case HDD is 57C and CPU has 70C. HDD is warming up the motherboard.

And how many other tuners you have installed - internal and external?

The specified upper limit for the operating temperature for many hard disks is 60C.