PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] Network Mount Issue

spevs
30-07-22, 13:02
I have three VU+ boxes all running latest VIX image, when I go into Mounts, Network Browser and do a scan, none of the boxes can see each other. The only way I can set up a network mount between the boxes is to do it manually using the IP addresses. I have Samba, NFS & FTP running on all boxes. Using my windows 10 PC I can see all three boxes on the network using windows explorer but I am unable to expand the host using dns name, but I can see root & Harddisk by using the IP addresses. Do I have a config issue on my boxes........?

ccs
30-07-22, 18:30
I have three VU+ boxes all running latest VIX image, when I go into Mounts, Network Browser and do a scan, none of the boxes can see each other. The only way I can set up a network mount between the boxes is to do it manually using the IP addresses. I have Samba, NFS & FTP running on all boxes. Using my windows 10 PC I can see all three boxes on the network using windows explorer but I am unable to expand the host using dns name, but I can see root & Harddisk by using the IP addresses. Do I have a config issue on my boxes........?Try adding

"disable netbios = no" to smb-user.conf

in /etc/samba

Search the forum if this isn't clear.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

spevs
31-07-22, 02:30
Hi CCS, I have modified the smb-user.conf files on each of my boxes and following a reboot they can now all see each other and I can also navigate to Root & Harddisk from my PC using the host name in windows explorer. Many thanks for your help.

"disable netbios = Yes" must be a recent change on the build, having it like this almost makes Network Browser redundant unless the above mod is carried out............:confused:

ccs
31-07-22, 11:48
Hi CCS, I have modified the smb-user.conf files on each of my boxes and following a reboot they can now all see each other and I can also navigate to Root & Harddisk from my PC using the host name in windows explorer. Many thanks for your help.

"disable netbios = Yes" must be a recent change on the build, having it like this almost makes Network Browser redundant unless the above mod is carried out............:confused:The samba distribution disabled netbios well over 2 years ago.

However, backupmanager used to backup all of /etc/samba, so new samba config files were never picked up when restoring settings.

This changed earlier in the year, so now only user specific samba configs are backed up, in particular smb-user.conf.

Hence the need to add the extra line to enable netbios if you want to run it. (Not everyone does.)

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

twol
31-07-22, 13:38
@ccs - thanks for finding the time and energy to answer this. Take care.