PDA

View Full Version : [ET8500] problems with openvix v 6

jdauthre
28-05-22, 13:33
I recently upgraded from v 5.4 to 6.2.001 and there were a number of problems, the main ones are the epg is very clunky with significant delays particularly going from one page to another. The other was if I attempted to play a recorded show then it played but everything else seized so no controls at all and could only be corrected by a reboot. I therefore went back to v 5.4 but there are no plugins to download, I get the message 'it is under mainenance'. Is there anything I can do about version 6.2 or do I wait for a new version. Alternatively will the plugins for v 5.4 return at some point?
Many Thanks

Huevos
28-05-22, 13:40
You are the first person that has reported such a thing about 6.2.

If you wait a few days there will be 6.2.002.

To me it sounds like you have something loaded that is slowing things down. Best try a fresh install with no restore, and set up manually.

jdauthre
28-05-22, 15:12
Thanks, I will wait for 6.2.002, and try again. Do you know if the packages for 5.4 are likely to return?

cuzz
28-05-22, 16:00
hello all i installed 6.2 and unable to get my vpn back restored my back up and unable to file transfer plugins back

twol
28-05-22, 17:06
hello all i installed 6.2 and unable to get my vpn back restored my back up and unable to file transfer plugins back

Explain. You are unable to install from feeds? Unable to transfer by filezilla from PC ? Or ??
.. and which plugins?
.. and which box??

littlejim
28-05-22, 17:48
Thanks, I will wait for 6.2.002, and try again. Do you know if the packages for 5.4 are likely to return?

It looks to me like there has been a hard disk crash or something and all old versions are lost for good.

twol
28-05-22, 18:12
It looks to me like there has been a hard disk crash or something and all old versions are lost for good.

Where ? What???

littlejim
28-05-22, 18:33
Where ? What???

Sorry.

I just meant there used to be an archive of old versions on www.openvix.co.uk but now they are all gone.

jdauthre
14-07-22, 12:44
I recently upgraded from v 5.4 to 6.2.001 and there were a number of problems, the main ones are the epg is very clunky with significant delays particularly going from one page to another. The other was if I attempted to play a recorded show then it played but everything else seized so no controls at all and could only be corrected by a reboot. I therefore went back to v 5.4 but there are no plugins to download, I get the message 'it is under mainenance'. Is there anything I can do about version 6.2 or do I wait for a new version. Alternatively will the plugins for v 5.4 return at some point?
Many Thanks

You are the first person that has reported such a thing about 6.2.

If you wait a few days there will be 6.2.002.

To me it sounds like you have something loaded that is slowing things down. Best try a fresh install with no restore, and set up manually.

-----------------------
So I have done a fresh install with no restore and set up manually and generally things have improved, but the epg is still clunky, and on occasion I get playing a recording seizing the system. I think I would like to go back to version 5.4, but as has been mentioned the archives for plugins is empty as has been mentioned before, surely someone knows where they have gone to and when they are coming back?

twol
14-07-22, 14:20
Many Thanks

-----------------------
So I have done a fresh install with no restore and set up manually and generally things have improved, but the epg is still clunky, and on occasion I get playing a recording seizing the system. I think I would like to go back to version 5.4, but as has been mentioned the archives for plugins is empty as has been mentioned before, surely someone knows where they have gone to and when they are coming back?
The issue with 5.4 feeds is literally the amount of storage needed for each receivers feeds - each receiver has its own feeds.
I do not think that you will see feeds for 5.4 again.

So I think we need to fix your issues, as this is not a general issue.
I have an Xtrend et7500 and it takes time to boot, but once running it is about the same as it was on the python 2 images.
I am assuming you are using the Xtrend et8500? So what tuner configuration are you using? Where is the epg stored? Which plugins are installed? Are you using serviceapp, and is the recording issue with sat, cable or IPTV services?

jdauthre
14-07-22, 16:40
Thanks for replying. I am using Xtrend 8500.
I have 2X dvb-c,-t2 tuners.
epg stored on a harddisk
plugins:
openwebif
epgimporter
IMDbsetup
Mediascanner
Pictureplayer
Yahoo Weather

(plus samba enabled)

I don't know what serviceapp is so whatever is default
The recording issue is with a t/t2 tuner

twol
14-07-22, 16:49
Thanks for replying. I am using Xtrend 8500.
I have 2X dvb-c,-t2 tuners.
epg stored on a harddisk
plugins:
openwebif
epgimporter
IMDbsetup
Mediascanner
Pictureplayer
Yahoo Weather

(plus samba enabled)

I don't know what serviceapp is so whatever is default
The recording issue is with a t/t2 tuner

Thanks, which skin are you using??

Also try moving the epg to a usb stick, so you don‘t get spin up/down on the HDD

jdauthre
14-07-22, 17:19
I am using vix-night-1080 skin.

In checking the epg it was actually on the flash memory - sorry about that, must have reverted when reinstalling the image. Moved the epg to the hard disk which has definitely helped, I will keep an eye on that and move to usb if necessary. Could using the flash memory be the problem with the seizing as well?

twol
14-07-22, 17:24

In checking the epg it was actually on the flash memory - sorry about that, must have reverted when reinstalling the image. Moved the epg to the hard disk which has definitely helped, I will keep an eye on that and move to usb if necessary. Could using the flash memory be the problem with the seizing as well?

Xtrends were really nice receivers(especially the ET8500), but compared to more recent receivers the Flash memory size is a potential problem and will cause issues if over loaded

jdauthre
14-07-22, 17:36
That makes sense, as the seizing problem was occasional it might take a while to see if it is okay. I like the ET8500, especially the fact it can take four tuners, I recently moved and lost use of two satellite tuners. Unfortunatly it seems impossible to get two dvb-t/t2 tuners for the et8500 any more to replace them, so might have to look around for a replacement.

twol
14-07-22, 19:30
That makes sense, as the seizing problem was occasional it might take a while to see if it is okay. I like the ET8500, especially the fact it can take four tuners, I recently moved and lost use of two satellite tuners. Unfortunatly it seems impossible to get two dvb-t/t2 tuners for the et8500 any more to replace them, so might have to look around for a replacement.
Is the tuner actually a dual C/T tuner? Or are there separate C & T tuners?

Joe_90
14-07-22, 19:56
Thanks, which skin are you using??

Also try moving the epg to a usb stick, so you don‘t get spin up/down on the HDD

Just for complete information - EPG is held and accessed in RAM during normal operation. The only time the HDD is accessed for EPG is at boot time (to refresh the RAM data) and during deep standby/shutdown when the current EPG data is written from RAM to the HDD. The default location for EPG data is in the flash memory, but if you are tight on flash, it might cause issues. HDD is ideal, or USB can be used, but it gives no speed advantage.

If you are using picons, though, they shouldn't be stored on HDD as it will cause disk spinup on every channel change. Picons can be stored on USB stick or similar or in the flash memory if you have sufficient.

jdauthre
14-07-22, 23:08

yes they are dual c/t/t2 tuners

jdauthre
14-07-22, 23:08
Just for complete information - EPG is held and accessed in RAM during normal operation. The only time the HDD is accessed for EPG is at boot time (to refresh the RAM data) and during deep standby/shutdown when the current EPG data is written from RAM to the HDD. The default location for EPG data is in the flash memory, but if you are tight on flash, it might cause issues. HDD is ideal, or USB can be used, but it gives no speed advantage.

If you are using picons, though, they shouldn't be stored on HDD as it will cause disk spinup on every channel change. Picons can be stored on USB stick or similar or in the flash memory if you have sufficient.

thanks I am not using picons

Huevos
15-07-22, 00:01

In checking the epg it was actually on the flash memory - sorry about that, must have reverted when reinstalling the image. Moved the epg to the hard disk which has definitely helped, I will keep an eye on that and move to usb if necessary. Could using the flash memory be the problem with the seizing as well?Due to et8500 drivers there are compatibility problems with this skin.

Try switching to "Simple_Ten_Eighty".

twol
15-07-22, 08:24
yes they are dual c/t/t2 tuners

As much as I think the ET8500 was a super receiver, I think you might be better to think about moving to a newer receiver. Having said that I notice there are still a few dvb-c/t tuners on German web sites.

jdauthre
18-07-22, 17:16
Due to et8500 drivers there are compatibility problems with this skin.

Try switching to "Simple_Ten_Eighty".

did the switch, but did not improve the epg scrolling, it is quite nice though, I never bothered to try the alternative skins

jdauthre
18-07-22, 17:19

The scrolling has improved to a just about acceptable level, but so far I haven't had any problems with playing back recordings.