PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ Duo - Best Settings to Stream over the Internet??

mcquaim
20-02-11, 13:23
Hi folks,

I am streaming my Vu+ Duo over the net for when I am away from home but it does not work very well. I get pretty bad audio sync issues and also quite a bit of breakup.

The problem is that my broadband is pretty rubbish, 3MB download with 384KBPS upload so I can't really expect much I guess..

I have noticed since the upgrade of VLC to 1.1.7 my CPU is running at 100% when I am streaming so perhaps I'm using the complete incorrect settings. My PC isn't great either so that could be part of my problem, P4 3.2GHz, 3GB RAM running Win7 Home Premium.

This is what I have currently set them to:

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=200,fps=24,scale=. 5,acodec=mp3,ab=64,channels=2,samplerate=11025}:ht tp{mux=ts,dst=:12345/} :no-sout-rtp-sap :no-sout-standard-sap :ttl=12 :sout-keep

Anyone have any ideas what would be better settings for me?

Thanks,
mcquaim

mcquaim
22-02-11, 11:02
No ideas folks??

Sicilian
22-02-11, 11:05
Theres a long thread about this here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?3643-Guide-to-stream-your-VU-Duo-over-the-WEB-using-VLC

mcquaim
22-02-11, 13:31
Thanks Sic, I have already viewed this sticky and also added the channel switching stuff.

The settings for codec, frame rate etc. Is where I'm having the trouble! I'm not sure what is best for a slow broadband connection???

jfk
26-02-11, 20:03
I am trying to steam away from home today using latest vlc 1.1.7 and will not play or stream the following message appear -

Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'http://xxx.xxx.x.x:8001/1:0:86:EE9:7E8:2:11A0000:0:0:0:'. Check the log for details.

Anybody with dea idea how to get it working?

Thanks all.

punisher
26-02-11, 23:11
Have you forwarded port 8001 to ip address in your router?

jfk
27-02-11, 00:19
Have you forwarded port 8001 to ip address in your router?

I had already configure my router and port forwarded 1222 . 0n the webinterface, i have a change default http port in the box to 1222 and i have done the same with the router. I can conect to the vuduo interface outside my network but if i try to stream with vlc 1.1.7 it gives my that error message.
Please note that i have no problem streaming within my network (at home) everything work fine but when am outside is the problem. Any help will be appriciated. I dont know how to go about that port 8001 to ip address inmy box.Thanks

punisher
27-02-11, 01:33
Just like u did for port 1222, u need to do exactly the same but for port 8001. But if it is working on ur home network then it should work outside. Hmm give that a try anyway wont do no harm u might get lucky lol

jfk
27-02-11, 10:30
Just like u did for port 1222, u need to do exactly the same but for port 8001. But if it is working on ur home network then it should work outside. Hmm give that a try anyway wont do no harm u might get lucky lol

Thanks a lot,

Please, do i port forward when i wanted to stream away from home too? where does port 8001 comes from? I cant find it on my box webinterface. The only place i can pin port 8001 to is at the address bar of vlc 117 while am streaming at home. it looks like this (http://192.168.1.20:8001/:1:0:1:D6DB:908::2:11A0000:0:0:0:-VLC medial player).
Any help please.

punisher
27-02-11, 11:17
yeh its the streaming port when you in the web address you put in you post. I had to do it in order for mine to work but not sure if its the same for others. i think most people add the vu duos ip in a dmz so that it doesnt have anything blocked but i just forward the ports that i need i.e. 1222 (HTTP) and 8001 (Streaming) when i dont do that it doesnt let me stream. maybe the router i am using

mcquaim
27-02-11, 13:23
Hi jfk,

Are you trying that URL externally?

http://192.168.1.20:8001/:1:0:1:D6DB:908::2:11A0000:0:0:0:-VLC

192.168.1.20 is the LAN ip address for your VuDuo. You cannot access your VuDuo externally using this address.

To access your LAN you need to use your routers WAN ip address, you will find this on your homepage of the router settings! As far as I know you cannot connect directly and stream from your VuDuo over the Internet, the stream is way too large in size..

Check out the URL posted above by sic as it explains what needs to be done to stream over the internet.

Anyway, as I started this post, has anyone any answers for me on the best settings for streaming over the Internet?

Cheers,
mcquaim

punisher
27-02-11, 13:29
i stream over the internet but i dont use vlc, all the best settings people have are mentioned in this post before and the link sic posted. its a difficult one but im sure if someone has cracked it they can share the info with you

mcquaim
27-02-11, 13:40
What do you use punisher?

punisher
27-02-11, 13:50
i use my iphone to stream mate, and sometimes my laptop but i stream it through the web interface or a program called Dreambox Manager Suite

mcquaim
27-02-11, 14:41
If you are outside your LAN how do you get your web interface to stream?

Do you use AirVideo Server for streaming to your iPhone?

punisher
27-02-11, 16:08
No, ive setup a dyndns and i use that instead of my ip

mcquaim
27-02-11, 16:22
Yeah, but the web interface streams out using your LAN ip address of the VuDuo so I don't know how that works externally!

Can you explain exactly how you get this to work?

The only way for me is to follow that sticky and use VLC to act as a server and stream via my pc! If you are managing to do this without the need to have the pc running that would be brilliant..

punisher
27-02-11, 18:54
Not if you setup a host. I connect using http://xxxxx.dyndns.org:1222 and it streams using thats address i.e http://punisheru.dyndns.org:8001 blah blahblah lol cnt remember the rest of it. Ive got te dyndns plugin on my duo updating my ip to the host and the ip of my box assigned manually instea of using dhcp so that it doesnt change at all and thats it. Ill give some screenies when i get back home. But it does work, glitchy at times bt it does work

mcquaim
27-02-11, 19:36
I use dyndns to connect externally also, to my pc though!
Do you have port 8001 on your router forwarded to the VuDuo?

You must have a very fast broadband connection?

On the client side, do you still use VLC or Win Media Player?

punisher
27-02-11, 19:43
I use dyndns to connect directly to my duo as i have forward the ports to my duos ip address. Ive got 50mb download and testing 5mb upload soon to be 100mb download and hopefully a bigger upload bt thats a few months away yet. Like i said if i am watching directly from the web interface then i stream it through vlc, and sometimes via the inbuilt webtv, and on my iphone via oplayer or dreamblive app which is tempremental at the moment and keeps crashing. But cuz i am back home now i wont be able to test externally

mcquaim
27-02-11, 20:09
God, to even have half the broadband speeds you have I'd be delighted..

I have a feeling that this works for you as your broadband is so fast! I'm on a 3mb download with a 384kb upload so never gonna be able to stream directly from the VuDuo.

It is interesting though, cheers for the info!

punisher
27-02-11, 20:12
yeh your gonna need a reasonably high upload speed to stream outside the LAN. i mean even i struggle from time to time but belkin are kind enough to replace my older faulty routers with brand spanky new ones that stream SD outside the network quite well but HD is a bit of a pain at the moment, not that im going to complain. im just grateful that i can get something lol

mrgee
27-02-11, 20:57
God, to even have half the broadband speeds you have I'd be delighted..

I have a feeling that this works for you as your broadband is so fast! I'm on a 3mb download with a 384kb upload so never gonna be able to stream directly from the VuDuo.

It is interesting though, cheers for the info!

Hi,

I've got a 1.3 mb upload speed.
To get something watchable so it doesn't break up that often, I set the scale of the transcoded video to 0.75, the bitrate around 460-470 kbs using h264. I have reduced the audio down to 1 channel , 8008 ? hz sample rate and an 8k bitrate. The quality I get is comparable to VHS.
As punisher said, you need a reasonably high upload speed to get it to stream at an acceptable quality.
If you just want to see if you can get it working , I would try setting the scale to 0.25 and the bitrate to about 75kbs. Keep the audio the same. Also try with a video source such as someone making a speech, ie with not much movement on screen. When large objects start moving around on screen, such as closeups of people the amount of data required to display this increases, which causes glitching if your bitrate is set too high.

punisher
27-02-11, 21:10
lol avoid footy :p

mcquaim
27-02-11, 21:16
Thanks mrgee, your upload speed is still a lot better than mine so reckon I'd need to reduce my settings even further! I can get it streaming but pretty bad syncing and a lot of breakups!

I was using h264 alright but I was curious was this the most efficient to stream on a low upload speed. I guess it will be a case of trial and error, it's a slow process having to wait to leave the house to check each time..

Anyway, thanks again!

mcquaim

jfk
28-02-11, 17:51
Hi jfk,

Are you trying that URL externally?

http://192.168.1.20:8001/:1:0:1:D6DB:908::2:11A0000:0:0:0:-VLC

192.168.1.20 is the LAN ip address for your VuDuo. You cannot access your VuDuo externally using this address.

To access your LAN you need to use your routers WAN ip address, you will find this on your homepage of the router settings! As far as I know you cannot connect directly and stream from your VuDuo over the Internet, the stream is way too large in size..

Check out the URL posted above by sic as it explains what needs to be done to stream over the internet.

Anyway, as I started this post, has anyone any answers for me on the best settings for streaming over the Internet?

Cheers,
mcquaim

Hi mcquaim,

Thanks for your post, i have dyndns set up already and i can connect to my vu dou box web control while am away from home but the problem is that each time i treid to stream using the latest vlc i get the follwoing error window on the vlc
(Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'http://jfk2.dyndns-home.com:8001/1:0:1:D6DB:908:2:11A0000:0:0:0:'. Check the log for details.)
Everything work ok if am at home but in my friends network i keep on geting the above message and its doing my headx. I know is possible but i dont know how to get it workx.