PDA

View Full Version : H9 Combo won't open share on Buffalo NAS, but will open Windows share

A&S&O
27-04-22, 16:21
I've reflashed my H9 Combo (with a newer Vix - 6.1.004) after a power outage corruption.

All seems to be ok, except that I can't open a share on a Buffalo NAS. I can browse to a windows share and open it, and I can see the NAS but it won't open.

Anyone know if there's any issues with later versions of VIX and old NAS boxes?

thanks

johnhoe
27-04-22, 17:16
Sometimes it helps to just edit auto.network to get it to work. (In /var/etc)

Here's my line for an old NAS drive (Netgear Stora) that you can alter and add in to make work.

FamilyLibrarySTORA -fstype=cifs,user=username,pass=password,rw,iochars et=utf8,vers=1.0 ://192.168.1.236/FamilyLibrary

A&S&O
28-04-22, 07:11
Thanks. I've rolled back to my previous version of 5.3.032 and all works as it should.

It looks like Vix versions above that have issues with my Buffalo SAN.

Joe_90
28-04-22, 11:38
Did you try the fix suggested by @johnhoe before rolling back?

There are security issues with old versions of the SMB protocol and newer versions of Vix use the newer protocol versions (2.1 and above), by default. Ideally, you should update your Buffalo NAS to a more secure version of SMB, but if you can't, then you could try @johnhoe's workaround to force SMB vers1.0 on that particular box. I use explicit IP addresses for my shares and have user and passwords set.

A&S&O
28-04-22, 12:33
Thanks very much, with both your inputs it seems to be sorted now.

I had issues getting to the file to update it, so I downgraded for a quick fix. I have since re upgraded and edited the mount in the Mount Manager to change from 2.1 to 1.0 and it now works fine.
So, latest version of VIX and all mounts working correctly.

My SAN is very old, so no updates available. As I only use it to store recordings, I guess SMB version doesn't matter.

thanks again.

Joe_90
28-04-22, 17:28
It's good to have confirmation that forcing the SMB version down to 1.0 makes it work for you. It's getting more and more difficult to have samba work with legacy boxes. Microsoft are actively removing older version capability from Win10 and Win11 releases.