PDA

View Full Version : Web Server advise needed please

Mr. Mister
20-02-11, 01:29
Hi guys.

I am in the middle of setting up a website that could turn out to be massive.
I am fed up with the prices i am being ask for web hosting for this new site.

If i wanted to buy my own web hosting server to host this.. How much would it cost and where would i go to buy this..??

Please bare in mind that i know nothing about servers but am willing to learn

Any help greatly appreicated..

judge
20-02-11, 01:56
after been through the mill with many webhosts over the past 10 years, I have to say Linode.com is my favourite. Fantastic for VPS, you will need to learn a bit though...

Mr. Mister
20-02-11, 01:59
Hi judge.
Thanks for the reply.
Sorry buddy.. Maybe i typed this wrong.
I wish to have my own server in my own home.. I wish to buy a server so i dont have to pay the monthly bills that come with these hosts..

Maybe this is not possible.. ?

judge
20-02-11, 04:21
sorry, picked you up wrong.
Yes, it's easily possible but can be a lot more expensive than self hosting.
What is your internet connection/upload speeds?
Seriously, I'd farm that stuff out to the experts with guaranteed uptime/speeds.
I think the cheapest linode is about $20 a month, I doubt you would beat that on performance & price self hosting unless you were expecting very few hits.

Sicilian
20-02-11, 07:26
Unless you've got a dedicated 100mb line at home (upstream & downstream) I wouldn't bother even starting this. Check out
http://www.hosting--solutions.co.uk/clientarea/aff.php?aff=099 We use them purely for their dedicated pipes and TRUE unlimited/unmetered bandwidth.

pooface
20-02-11, 07:57
Another reasonably priced host is 1and1. As both others have said, it's much better to outsource your server, especially if it's going to be big.

Maybe try hosting on your own pc to begin with, by running wamp, and then you'll see whether it's with it. Chances are you'll go to a dedicated server...

Sent from my HTC Desire Z