PDA

View Full Version : [Zgemma H7] Long press [AUDIO] button

BrokenUnusableAccount
13-03-22, 21:58
A long press of the [AUDIO] button on the remote always shows a message:
"Dolby Digital downmix is now disabled"

But the result is always that AC3 download is enabled.

I guess it's suppposed to toggle it.

BrokenUnusableAccount
15-03-22, 04:31
I'm having a go at figuring this out myself.
It definately looks like it is supposed to toggle AC3 downmix.
(not "download" as I typed above :o)

adm
15-03-22, 11:11
A long press of the [AUDIO] button on the remote always shows a message:
"Dolby Digital downmix is now disabled"

But the result is always that AC3 download is enabled.

I guess it's suppposed to toggle it.

On my box (ET10k) iF set to passthrough in menu -> setup -> audio and video -> settings -> AC3 downmix a subsequent long press of the audio button results in the same message "Dolby Digital downmix is now disabled" but on checking the AC3 downmix setting has changed from passthrough to downmix. An subsequent long press of audio doesn't make any difference.

Perhaps a long press of audio is only designed to select AC3 downmix (stereo) for audio equipment that doesn't understand surround sound dolby digital. The design may not be to toggle functionality between the various options.
Perhaps the message needs changing to "Dolby Digital is disabled"

BrokenUnusableAccount
15-03-22, 13:39
@adm Thanks for confirming it's not just my configuration causing it.

I have found some code that looks like it should be toggling AC3 downmix and showing a message with a typo that matches the typo in the message that does show.

https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/blob/2ba45993ecf14da320081fc6c1f84cfe69b0685e/lib/python/Screens/InfoBarGenerics.py#L3480-L3491

However it's clearly not working for some reason.

ccs
15-03-22, 15:06
If AC3 downmix is set to Passthrough, long press Audio sets it to Downmix in menu/setup/audio&video/settings.

However, a GUI restart puts it back to Passthrough.

adm
15-03-22, 15:59
If AC3 downmix is set to Passthrough, long press Audio sets it to Downmix in menu/setup/audio&video/settings.

However, a GUI restart puts it back to Passthrough.

Agreed, a GUI restart puts it back to passthrough UNLESS if after long-press Audio menu/setup/audio&video/settings is re-visited and green is pressed to save the (changed) settings.

ccs
15-03-22, 16:09
.... just to add to the confusion, menu/setup/audio&video/settings with no changes, red to cancel, exits as expected with no dialogue,
but if you've already done a long press audio, red to cancel asks you if you really want to close without saving.

Huevos
16-03-22, 22:01
.... just to add to the confusion, menu/setup/audio&video/settings with no changes, red to cancel, exits as expected with no dialogue,
but if you've already done a long press audio, red to cancel asks you if you really want to close without saving.Because the current setting differs from the saved setting.

So we need to decide the intent of the long audio press.

BrokenUnusableAccount
16-03-22, 23:24
I think the code is clearly meant to toggle AC3 downmix on and off.

https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/blob/2ba45993ecf14da320081fc6c1f84cfe69b0685e/lib/python/Screens/InfoBarGenerics.py#L3480-L3491

Huevos
17-03-22, 10:24
I think the code is clearly meant to toggle AC3 downmix on and off.

Well that code could never work because "config.av.downmix_ac3" is a ConfigSelection, not a ConfigBoolean.

Huevos
17-03-22, 12:54
Helpful this fits the intention: https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/commit/e4f0e8e4ce434505867e03fa810f384b0a8c8307

BrokenUnusableAccount
17-03-22, 13:03
Looks like
a) you're going to have to be the one who fixes it and

b) Python is definitely the most utterly stupid programming language that ever existed. Who would think that a language where a type mismatch should produce no error message at all, neither compile time or run time, is acceptable?

Joe_90
17-03-22, 13:37
Helpful this fits the intention: https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/commit/e4f0e8e4ce434505867e03fa810f384b0a8c8307

Thanks for fixing "Dobly":D

Huevos
17-03-22, 13:43
b) Python is definitely the most utterly stupid programming language that ever existed. Who would think that a language where a type mismatch should produce no error message at all, neither compile time or run time, is acceptable?
It is a valid value, just not in the choicelist, so drops back to the default

BrokenUnusableAccount
17-03-22, 15:07
Thanks for fixing "Dobly":D

That's the beginning of a fix.
Now instead of insulting and rejecting my pull request that did this it needs to also be fixed it in the .po and .pot files as well so it can be translated into other languages.

Joe_90
17-03-22, 15:20
That's the beginning of a fix.
Now instead of insulting and rejecting my pull request that did this it needs to also be fixed it in the .po and .pot files as well so it can be translated into other languages.

I presume your reference to "insulting and rejecting" is for @Huevos? I looked at @Huevos's commit and could see that he fixed that typo as well as correcting the Python code.

BrokenUnusableAccount
17-03-22, 16:18
I presume your reference to "insulting and rejecting" is for @Huevos?
Yes, sorry for any misunderstanding. My fault.

I looked at @Huevos's commit and could see that he fixed that typo as well as correcting the Python code.

So he fixed two things. Well actually one and a half.

I only fixed one (the whole of what he only fixed half of) yet he rejected my PR saying at did several things all in one PR and one should only do one per PR.

Huevos
17-03-22, 16:42
he rejected my PR saying at did several things all in one PR and one should only do one per PR.Don't get wound up about this, it is nothing personal. And everybody's contribution is welcome.

Your PR had things like this: https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/pull/759/commits/4f0db1cc1d0d12ec3210bd8cd84903423cafab93
And this: https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/pull/759/commits/6c20946584be3688cdd24effd1ee1b6bb1ae2c7c

Neither fixed a problem.

And the other problem is putting multiple commits in one PR.

Joe_90
17-03-22, 17:03
@Brian - I wasn't really miffed at your comment. I assumed it was aimed elsewhere, but I think you had assumed that I maybe had seen your attempted commits which had been rejected (I hadn't). That's the problem with drawing tonal inferences from streams of text info.

BrokenUnusableAccount
17-03-22, 17:10
Don't get wound up about this, it is nothing personal. And everybody's contribution is welcome.

Your PR had things like this: https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/pull/759/commits/4f0db1cc1d0d12ec3210bd8cd84903423cafab93
And this: https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/pull/759/commits/6c20946584be3688cdd24effd1ee1b6bb1ae2c7c

Neither fixed a problem.

And the other problem is putting multiple commits in one PR.

The one's that didn't fix a problem were both reverted before the PR.

I've asked about PRs with multiple commits in them before and been told it was no problem.

You need to make a clear policy and make it available somewhere.

BrokenUnusableAccount
17-03-22, 20:36
Also what am I supposed to do when other people are making commits to the main branch while I am working on my branch?

Huevos
17-03-22, 21:23
Also what am I supposed to do when other people are making commits to the main branch while I am working on my branch?Just because someone makes a commit doesn't mean you have to pull it into your branch (unless it directly interferes with the code you are working on, and then you rebase not pull).

It is ok having multiple commits if they relate to the same project, but obviously not revert commits. PRs should be clean. If you have had to revert something you should start again clean and only include changes.

I've asked about PRs with multiple commits in them before and been told it was no problem.Only when the multiple commits break down one project into smaller units.

BrokenUnusableAccount
17-03-22, 22:31
Just because someone makes a commit doesn't mean you have to pull it into your branch (unless it directly interferes with the code you are working on, and then you rebase not pull).

It is ok having multiple commits if they relate to the same project, but obviously not revert commits. PRs should be clean. If you have had to revert something you should start again clean and only include changes.

Only when the multiple commits break down one project into smaller units.

A certain other developer you sometimes deals with my pull requests seems to have no problem converting my pull requests into a single commit. Pity you don't seem to know how to do it.

Huevos
18-03-22, 00:01
A certain other developer you sometimes deals with my pull requests seems to have no problem converting my pull requests into a single commit. Pity you don't seem to know how to do it.Who? Are you talking about a coder that may have to decipher the code at a later date, or just someone pressing the accept button that doesn't have to deal with the consequences?

BrokenUnusableAccount
18-03-22, 00:18
Who? Are you talking about a coder that may have to decipher the code at a later date, or just someone pressing the accept button that doesn't have to deal with the consequences?

He's pretty active on here, though less so recently I think. I like to think it might be because you are so dismissive of him lately, but I don't know, could be any number of reasons.

I don't want you to definitely know who I mean, because I don't want to risk starting a fight between the two of you.

He says he has no problem turning my messy PRs into a single commit before merging into the OpenVix related repositories, but maybe he's just being nice to me.

Huevos
18-03-22, 00:44
Are you really telling me off because I am not following the example of someone who is doing it wrong?

Who am I dismissive of? Come on, let's get it out in the open. Otherwise what was the point mentioning it in the first place?

BrokenUnusableAccount
18-03-22, 01:48
He's not doing it wrong.
He's just doing what I think you're asking me to do in the future for me when I haven't done it myself.

Huevos
18-03-22, 02:20
He's not doing it wrong.
He's just doing what I think you're asking me to do in the future for me when I haven't done it myself.

Pointless discussion if you are not going to say who you are talking about.

A pull request should be ready to use. It shouldn't need editing.

BrokenUnusableAccount
18-03-22, 19:20
@Huevos https://docs.github.com/en/repositories/configuring-branches-and-merges-in-your-repository/configuring-pull-request-merges :mad:

Huevos
18-03-22, 19:41
@Huevos https://docs.github.com/en/repositories/configuring-branches-and-merges-in-your-repository/configuring-pull-request-merges :mad:What is your point? Are you trying to teach your granny how to suck eggs?

BrokenUnusableAccount
18-03-22, 19:45
No. Apparently even sucking is beyond you.

Sicilian
18-03-22, 20:12
No. Apparently even sucking is beyond you.

Theres no need for personal insults, thread closed as it appears to have run its course.