PDA

View Full Version : [GiGaBlue UHD UE 4K] Playback problem

avalon65
10-03-22, 10:44
These last 2 nights, I have recorded a particular program on ITV, whilst watching another program on another channel. When the watched program finished, I then selected the recorded program to watch, although it was in the last few minutes of recording. I have done this many times before and there has never been a problem.

When I pressed the fast forward button on the remote, after the small window at the bottom of the screen to show progress of the time etc, appears, the bar which normally moves along with time with the FF button, didn't this time. The blue bar, in my case, stayed where it was, and there was no x4, x8 or x16 speed etc showing either.

The recorded program did fast forward, but then then I couldn't play it at normal speed by pressing the play / pause button, and the tv screen then went black. The TV box was unresponsive and I had to do a hard reboot to get it back to picture mode again.

The recorded program did perform normally, ie x4, x8 etc using the FF button and played ok when using the play / pause button, when I tried it later
As I say, this happened twice on 2 separate nights.

Apologies if my description is not as clear as you may wish, but I don't know how else to describe it

ronand
10-03-22, 11:26
Fast forward/rewind has always been hit & miss on e2 boxes and depends on the quality of drivers supplied by the manufacturer. You are better off using the 3/6/9 buttons to skip forward and 1/4/7 to go back as it is much more reliable (and its generally quicker too).

avalon65
10-03-22, 12:34
Is that what my box is , an e2. the FF works ok when the recorded program has stopped, but I guess I'll have to use the 3/6/9 buttons now if it is still been recorded.

Thanks

ronand
10-03-22, 13:08
e2 = enigma2 operating system.

avalon65
10-03-22, 14:08
Ok but if it has a vix image , surely that is operation system. Like on a PC windows10 is the OS and so is any variant of Linux

Thanks

ccs
10-03-22, 15:05
Linux is the operating system, enigma2 is an application which runs on it, and ViX is the variant you're using.

avalon65
10-03-22, 17:20
Thanks but what would cause the problem of the box becoming unresponsive and a black tv screen.

Joe_90
10-03-22, 17:32
@avalon65 - just some more info. When a recording is being made, there are other files being created at the same time as the main audio/video data is being written. These meta-data files are used subsequently to help in navigating the completed audio/video file as they contain marker points and other data like the programme description etc. These files would not be complete until the recording has finished, so if you're trying to navigate with the FF and REW keys during the recording it's possible that the Gigablue drivers had an issue. The fact that you could use those keys subsequently would indicate that the box is depending on complete meta files. Happens to me on my Gigablue Quad+ also. If the (manufacturer supplied) drivers lock up, then the box may well become unresponsive. As @ronand suggested, using the 3, 6, 9 keys to jump forward or the 1, 4, 7 keys to jump back is often more successful.

avalon65
10-03-22, 21:27
Aah right, I never knew that. You learn something new everyday.

Ok so I'll use 3,6,9 keys to go forward then and I'll see how that goes with another recording later/

Thanks