PDA

View Full Version : When I flash latest versson of VIX do I need to use opendownloader for epg?

bmitie
04-03-22, 15:28
Helping to set up a box and want to keep it simple. Do I need opendownloader for epg as it appears to populate tv guide when box was started up without it? I turned it on and put it at 12 hours but it has given a message twice in last few hours.

cactikid
05-03-22, 15:04
You need to have a usb or hdd setup to store your epg data to and not internal flash

abu baniaz
05-03-22, 16:15
OpenTV EPG downloader is a part of ViX image. It is designed to be simple as possible. You do not have to use it although some functions just happen on their own.

it appears to populate tv guide when box was started up without it

What do you mean by the above? What is "It"?

There are various EPG types and acquistions. As examples
You have Now/Next EIT EPG. Loads EPG into RAM as soon as you select the channels
You have Freesat EPG, Trickle absorption into RAM when you are on 28.2 services that are also on Freesat. Fast loaded into RAM when you are on the Freesat home transponder
You have the OpenTV EIT EPG. Absorbed into RAM when on Sky Transponder 11778

All EPG in RAM will be saved to the EPG cache file when restarted/shut down. If you do not use a storage device for the cache file, you will fill up the internal flash memory and crash the box.

If you want to keep things simple, use the EPG downloader.
See this thread: https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?63896-Setting-up-Sky-UK-epg-download