PDA

View Full Version : Recordings Files

GeoffatMM
10-01-22, 01:42
Hi

This is really an information request. I am trying to understand the various files used for a single recording generated from my GigaBlue OpenVix receiver. It has come about as I am starting to move files from the space limited SSD to my network media storage folders.

I have used the move function and then checked it in the network folder I moved it to to see that the single line entry had become a 6 file collection as shown:

I know that the .ts file is a transport stream file (although my Mac tries to interpret it as a translation file!) but what are the other 5 files for and can they be deleted once the move has been done?

I can see this collection as a single line in Kodi but does Kodi (and OpenVix) need the other 5 files to function properly?

If I want to run the .ts file direct from the finder folder, what media players can I use other than Kodi?

Geoff

birdman
10-01-22, 02:45
The ts.meta file is the meta data. It's a text file and contains the data about which service it was recorded on, the description, the time of the recording, any tags associated with it and a few other things (such as the duration...)
The other files include data to help things such as skip forward/backward and marks, although I forget (or have never known) which contains what.

BrokenUnusableAccount
10-01-22, 03:09
I'm not sure what OpenViX and kodi need/use, but most "play anything" type players on Windows (VLC, MPV, MPHC+CCCP etc.) will play the .ts file on its own reasonably well.

Seeking around to different points in the file can be inaccurate, particularly near the end, and the total playback time of the file can be displayed incorrectly.

Presumably OpenViX uses one/some of the extra files to fix the seeking problems.

To avoid the seeking problems you need to convert the .ts to something designed for playback.
This doesn't necessarily mean a slow transcoding operation, you could just convert from a trasnport stream to a program stream or a MP4, MKV or whatever without transcoding.

Willo3092
10-01-22, 08:22
Some info here:

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?57627-Record-into-a-single-file&p=455991&viewfull=1#post455991

GeoffatMM
10-01-22, 09:05
Thanks all for the rapid response. Will investigate further and try some available players. VLC did not work very well. I changed .ts to .mpeg but the QuickTime Player still would not recognise it. I can convert via Pineapple or similar but that is a hassle.

Best solution looks to be to setup the new storage location on my various Kodi installations and view them that way. The Kodi player is much improved over the last few years.

Anyway, once again I appreciate the immediate and good response from other members.

Geoff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccs
10-01-22, 09:45
When moving files (there is a copy option as well), the blue button when watching live tv tells you its progress.

birdman
10-01-22, 12:49
Thanks all for the rapid response. Will investigate further and try some available players. VLC did not work very well. I changed .ts to .mpeg but the QuickTime Player still would not recognise it. I can convert via Pineapple or similar but that is a hassle. vlc has always played the *.ts file for me.
Renaming it to mpeg may not be useful at all as it could be (is?) an mp4 file. Changing the name should have no effect on the ability of any program to play it as what matters is the actual file (internal) content not its (external) name ("A rose by any other name...").

GeoffatMM
10-01-22, 13:18
Some info here:

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?57627-Record-into-a-single-file&p=455991&viewfull=1#post455991

Thanks Willo that is clear.

Joe_90
10-01-22, 13:51
I would echo what @birdman says about vlc - it should play .TS files without issue (certainly on MS and on linux - don't know about Mac). Sometimes it selects the 1st audio track so you end up with NAR (narrative) over the soundtrack, but you just select the 2nd track in that case.

The additional files (meta, cuts etc.) are reasonably small and I have found them useful when playing back a file on Vix that I stored on my NAS years ago as it helps jog my memory with the original recording details and meta info about the programme and of course you can navigate easily to any point in the programme with the standard remote that you use for your Vix box. I have a lot of music programmes (mostly BBC4 and Sky Arts) that I've archived over the years and it's great to be able to play them again on a familiar interface. Kodi, on my media player also handles the .TS files well and even shows the programme metadata and navigates ok.

I take it that your network HDD on the Mac is behaving properly now?

GeoffatMM
11-01-22, 23:03
Sorry for delay but I have had some issues.

First though, an update. I have set up Kodi to view the files over the LAN at the new location and that is working well. Current network is Powerline backhaul for WiFi so not always dependable but the new house will have ethernet backhaul throughout and will be better. The HDD hanging off the Mac is working fine. So I am now happy with the setup.

Issue 1.

Having sorted the files and access, I started to notice some strange behaviour with recordings on the receiver played back on the TV connected over HDMI. It does not occur with all recordings and so far I cannot see why it should happen on some not others. I don't know if the logs would help?

It is really annoying! I start playing back a recording and it seems fine but then, of its own volition it switches from full screen to the list of recordings with the recording still playing but now in the smaller window. After a while it then reverts to the full screen. Then back to the list, Then back to the screen. etc. I lose all control of the receiver which does not respond to the remote control and the only way to stop it is to cut the cord and reboot the machine with the on/off switch. It is completely reproducible. Every time I try to play the recording the same thing happens.

The only change I have made recently (as part of sorting the files for the recordings) was to upgrade to the latest image 6.0.006 (direct from 6.0.003) so it could be to do with that.

Interestingly, when I watch the same recording over Kodi, it works without a problem! Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions please?

Issue 2.

As a result of having to reboot the receiver, recordings that were in progress restarted but in a separate file. After three reboots some of these recordings are in four separate files. however, they all show the same meta data and there is no obvious way to see which was first to get the order right (accepting that there is a missing section for each reboot).

Is there a way to drill down to see which order they should be played in? I can work it out by comparing file sizes and timings over an ftp link but is it possible to do it through Vix direct?

GeoffatMM
13-01-22, 01:04
I think this must be an issue with the latest update? I flashed back to 6.0.003 and all worked properly. I have now moved up to 6.0.004 and again it works fine. I will leave it on version 4 for now until I get some response on the issue.

birdman
13-01-22, 03:29
It is really annoying! I start playing back a recording and it seems fine but then, of its own volition it switches from full screen to the list of recordings with the recording still playing but now in the smaller window. After a while it then reverts to the full screen. Then back to the list, Then back to the screen. etc.This would happen if you pressed List then Exit on the remote.
Do you have any other remotes in the room that the receiver responds to?
(the debug log would tell you whether it thought it had received such key presses.)

GeoffatMM
13-01-22, 09:03
Hi Birdman,

The remote is not touched other than to press OK to start the recording. There are no other controllers (I have experimented with both the Gigablue and e2 remote apps on my iPhone but neither were running at the time.

If I have flashed the box, will the error logs still be available? I think they are on the HDD not the flash memory so I will take a look. If I find them, should I post them?

PS:

I have looked on the root of the HDD but there are no crash logs there. I checked the box and it is set to /home/root as the default so there are no historic logs available. I have reset it to /media/hdd but not yet turned on the debug logs. Should I enable the debug?

I will try (probably over the weekend) to refresh to version 6, check the logs are in the right location, turn on debug and try to see if I can replicate the issue. If I can and cannot see what his happening in the logs, I will post them here to see if anyone else can help.

finally, as I think this might be an issue with the latest version, should this thread (or at least the last part of it) be moved elsewhere in the forum?

Geoff

birdman
13-01-22, 13:21
I have looked on the root of the HDD but there are no crash logs there. I checked the box and it is set to /home/root as the default so there are no historic logs available. I have reset it to /media/hdd but not yet turned on the debug logs. Should I enable the debug?Yes.
And you'd need to look at the log as the issue happens to see whether the box is reacting to a KeyPress event.
Or (better) in the menu where you turn debug logs on (Menu -> Setup -> System -> Logs -> Settings) and change "Debug log time format" to be "boot time and local time" (the restart enigma2). Then just remember teh time the issue is seen and compare it with the log entries around that time.

finally, as I think this might be an issue with the latest version, should this thread (or at least the last part of it) be moved elsewhere in the forum?Just leave it here.

GeoffatMM
13-01-22, 15:26
OK will do. Thanks.

GeoffatMM
16-01-22, 10:31
UPDATE

So Thursday night I reflashed back to version 6 and for two days there were no problems and I was going to assume it was an error when I first flashed the image. Then, trying to play Match of the Day the problem started again. The time was showing 00:41 so it may have been as early as 00:35 when I started the playback although it looks to be at 00:41:15.2542 (see info below).

So I located the log file and it is attached in full (2.9 Mb) even though the error is towards the end of the file. I have posted it in its entirety as it is littered with a variety of Read Errors and other errors including loads of:

lookupService getService failed!

errors, which mean little to me but may mean something to you. There are lots of other error messages but I have no idea if they are important or not. One example is:

< 20925.3227> 00:37:25.3513 [Skin] Error in screen 'EPGSelection' widget 'widget' [Skin] {ViX-Night-1080/skin.xml}: Component with name 'number' was not found in skin of screen 'EPGSelection'! Please contact the skin's author!!
There are other skin messages and also some exception errors within exception errors so it looks as if the box is confused.

It looks like the recorded programme started here?

< 21155.2256> 00:41:15.2542 [eDVBTSTools] setSource loading streaminfo for /media/hdd/movie/20220115 2329 - BBC One HD - Match of the Day.ts

There is then lots that I do not understand and then after a while it starts line after line of this:

< 21317.2090> 00:43:57.2377 [eServiceFactoryDVB] lookupService getService failed!
< 21317.2096> 00:43:57.2382 [eServiceFactoryDVB] lookupService getService failed!
< 21317.2119> 00:43:57.2405 [eServiceFactoryDVB] lookupService getService failed!
< 21317.2126> 00:43:57.2412 [eServiceFactoryDVB] lookupService getService failed!
< 21317.2131> 00:43:57.2418 [eServiceFactoryDVB] lookupService getService failed!
< 21317.2144> 00:43:57.2431 [eServiceFactoryDVB] lookupService getService failed!

Now none of this means a lot to me but hopefully someone can make sense of it?

In the meantime I have moved back to (not flashed) version 4 which seems to be working fine.

G

birdman
16-01-22, 13:30
The log show several Volume Up/Down presses, then an Exit press which appears to be putting a message into the screen?

There's also a Blue press at one point (the puts up an extension list choice).

GeoffatMM
16-01-22, 17:22
Yes. That is probable as once the problem began the volume was too loud and it was trying to lower it that some of the presses occurred. Then I noticed it responded to the volume although not immediately so I was experimenting. I then tried exiting, again with several pushes but it would not. I checked for and copied the log file then turned off the box.

Can you not see any repetitive errors?

ccs
16-01-22, 17:29
I've always had the ViX volume set to max, and then only ever use the tv volume control.

GeoffatMM
25-01-22, 08:58
Sorry for the delay in responding but the boiler packed up so the living room and TV was unusable for a week. We survived using the e2remote pro and Kodi.

I have tried to reproduce the problem since returning and Murphy's law prevented it. Eventually, two programmes my wife wanted to watch (one of which was in the process of recording but which we had missed the start of) gave a problem so after restarting the box a couple of times and not getting anywhere, it was back to the Humax for the evening. Later, I experimented by refreshing the GUI a couple of times but the problem remained so I shut the entire machine down again, left it for 24 hours restarted it and tried again. I removed all logs via ftp and restarted the machine once more. The problem had gone again and the two programmes played properly (except that in trying to reset it the previous evening one of the recordings was split into 3 parts). So I settled down to watch Match of the Day and immediately it started the problem switching between the movie list page and the main screen with the info bar showing. All controls via the remote were ignored. I let it run for a few minutes then shut down again. The error log is attached.

The problem starts at 00:06:24:3749

Do no other users have a similar problem? It is serious as it has completely disenfranchised my wife from the concept of the new box and OpenVix. I hope someone can give me some information from the logs that can identify and resolve it. Are there any other tests you would like me to try to identify it? I cannot discount and incompatibility with the GigaBlue box but it does look to be a software issue at the moment.

Geoff

twol
25-01-22, 10:30
What device are you using for recording?
It also kind of looks like its trying to read sub title information - do you have sub titles turned on??

... but it also looks like its having issue with the ts recording - although I have never seen those issues before, which is why I ask about the device used.

GeoffatMM
25-01-22, 12:40
Hi Twol,

What device are you using for recording?

As per the signature:

Gigablue UHD UE 4K receiver
GigaBlue Ultra Unicable SCR-LNB / 24 SCR - 2 Legacy UHD 4K LNB
OpenVix 6.0.003 Image
110cms Triax Dish

although I did upgrade to 6.0.006 which is when the problem started. I have gone back to 6.0.004 to see if that eradicates it.

It also kind of looks like its trying to read sub title information - do you have sub titles turned on??

I do not think subtitles are on by default (no subtitles come up) but it regularly defaults to the NAR assisted commentary which I have to turn off.

... but it also looks like its having issue with the ts recording - although I have never seen those issues before, which is why I ask about the device used.

From time to time I see that not all 6 file parts are in the movie folder but those recordings still seem to play. Also, while the problem occurs on the GigaBlue box I can sit in the same room and run the recording over Kodi or e2remote pro. So that implies that there is either a software issue on the machine or an incompatibility with the GigaBlue device.

Joe_90
25-01-22, 16:01
Hi Geoff - I think @twol was asking about the actual location of the recordings. Are you not using a network drive attached to a Mac? My recordings are done on the internal HDD in my GB Quad. I occasionally archive off recordings (mostly music programmes from BBC4/Sky Arts) to my NAS via SMB. If I play those archived programmes from Vix the navigation through the folder on the NAS is very slow, due to the large number of .TS files and the ancillary meta data files. Usually I would play these archived recordings from my Kodi media player which is separate from my GB Quad. The user experience on that is much snappier experience.

I think I recall that you have come from a Humax Freesat receiver setup to the Vix? My other half took a long time to come to terms with the Vix box after coming from a Humax, but I have kept the setup as simple as possible - direct SCART connection from GB Quad to TV, so that it's just a "power on" the Quad and the TV automatically switches to the box and the default recording location is the internal HDD. She doesn't care about SD/HD or HiFi sound. She certainly wouldn't navigate to a network drive to access old archived programmes. When I want to watch TV I use the AV surround system and HDMI connection, but she has no interest in coming to terms with the complexity, so I just adopt the KISS principle. Your mileage may vary:p

GeoffatMM
25-01-22, 17:44
Joe, You must be my twin!

All recordings are on the hard drive in the box. Like you I archive to the network drive but generally I am watching at the same time so manage the controls. For Jude, the issue is less about a new interface (I have caught her playing with it from time to time and she manages when I am not there) it is more about dependability (which is a laugh because in 2 years the Humax has crashed twice with the loss of all recordings). It does not help that it seems to happen mainly to the programmes she wants to watch. C’est la vie.

So for the purposes of this issue, the recording is bog standard onto the enclosed hdd and into /media/hdd/movie.

GeoffatMM
02-02-22, 22:52
Hi Guys, can no one help me with this?

The problem is still there and it is definitely an OpenVix problem. if I boot into OpenATV or TeamBlue I do not have any issues with recordings. As long as it continues without a solution I will have to move over to one of these two solutions.

In doing so, I of course lost all my auto timers and timers. It seems odd that this information is not help on the hdd drive or at least give an option to do so.

I believe there are several files that need to be moved and then some joggling about. Is there a support guide I can follow?

Also, how do I get this issue to the developers? Users may be trying Openvix, not using this forum, seeing a problem and discounting it as a workable solution. I would much rather stay with OpenVix if possible if only because the English language support is better but if I cannot get it to work I will have to move to something else.

Geoff

ccs
03-02-22, 12:41
What do your recording and playback settings look like?

This snapshot....

GeoffatMM
04-02-22, 11:28
Hi ccs,

Here is the full listing.

ccs
04-02-22, 11:41
I believe there are several files that need to be moved and then some joggling about. Is there a support guide I can follow?

Haven't you come across backup and restore? Try

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?301

Have a look at the third thread.

If you're using multiboot (even if you're not), I'd be tempted to create a ViX image from scratch and see how that goes.

(Once you've created an image backup, you can re-flash it if you get into a mess, and then you're back to where you were when you created the backup.)

GeoffatMM
07-02-22, 09:56
Hi ccs,

Yes I have all of that organised but it does not work when moving from one image to another. I have sorted timers and auto timers using ssh and issuing init 4, followed by mobving the two files over ftp and then a reboot. It has successfully moved both auto and actual timers from OpenVix to OpenATV.

Until I know that the issue I have is being looked at by the development team I will stay with OpenATV which appears to be working properly for me (and my wife!).

Nobody replied to tell me how to get the issue to the developers or how feedback on issues works. I have searched the forum listing but cannot see a general feedback forum for bugs etc. on the current image. Does one exist?

Geoff

ccs
07-02-22, 10:12
Developers will have seen your posts, like everybody else, there is no distinction.

GeoffatMM
07-02-22, 10:54
Thanks ccs, much appreciated. I want to use OpenVix but it is too challenging until this is sorted.

If anyone wants more data, please just ask.

Geoff

twol
07-02-22, 11:08
Hi ccs,

Yes I have all of that organised but it does not work when moving from one image to another. I have sorted timers and auto timers using ssh and issuing init 4, followed by mobving the two files over ftp and then a reboot. It has successfully moved both auto and actual timers from OpenVix to OpenATV.

Until I know that the issue I have is being looked at by the development team I will stay with OpenATV which appears to be working properly for me (and my wife!).

Nobody replied to tell me how to get the issue to the developers or how feedback on issues works. I have searched the forum listing but cannot see a general feedback forum for bugs etc. on the current image. Does one exist?

Geoff

Geoff all your posts are seen by developers.I know that it is difficult learning from scratch and therefore we would like to support you as best as we can..... but also accept that this all done during our free time, this is not paid work.
@ccs has suggested that you do a clean flash with OpenViX, which is what you have done with OpenATV, could you do that and then feedback?
I would suggest that you have been on a learning curve with OpenViX and there may be an issue caused by that. The logs show that the software is trying to recover from errors on the recording and then spends time skipping through - I am not able to see if you initiated that or whether that's part of the recovery issue.

I have as my lounge receiver a gbquad4k(basically same as the gbue4k which I also have) and have never seen these issues during the last 4 years (and I am guessing my configuration is similar in terms of recordings), so this is not a typical issue and that's why I would suggest a new flash and setup.

GeoffatMM
07-02-22, 11:41
Thanks Twol,

I really appreciate your comments.

I do understand there is no paid developer team and I am not complaining just trying to ensure the feedback is picked up.

I too am pretty busy building a house so the time I can devote to sorting this (which is the system for the new house when we move in) is also limited.

I did initially try reflashing but then imported ils settings and plugins.

Now that the receiver is stable using OpenATV I will do as ccs suggests and prepare a fresh install then rebuild from that as I assume using old settings and plugins have just imported the same problem.

It will take a few days but I will post results back here.

Geoff

GeoffatMM
19-02-22, 19:08
Hi,

Just an update to finish this post off.

I have cleaned down the machine and flashed it from a USB to make a clean install then entered all the settings. The only thing I have not done is install the Kodi plugin. Since then it has been behaving itself so perhaps it is now cured and this can be closed.

Geoff