PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo2] Image 6.0.001 - missing plugins

nekrub2
11-11-21, 10:40
Dear all

In a second attempt I tried to restore all plugins except hbbtv. However these plugins are missing (cannot be downloaded)

- mediaportal
As hbbtv does not run on mpsel processors it was the only way to see the mediaportal for Swiss, German and Austrian TV stations.

-MP3Browser
This old MP3 player allowed me to see the song lyrics

- Wikipedia

-xmb weather
A very userfriedlly weather plugin

So I see no advantage to stay with 6.0.001 but I go back to 5.4.016.

Trial
11-11-21, 10:59
Hi,
maintainer of mediaportal stopped supporting other boxes than DreamBoxes. I do not think that there will be a solution.

Ralf

nekrub2
21-11-21, 21:37
How difficult is is to rewrite these orphaned plugins which are not running under phyton 3 and how could I learn this?
It is a pity that very user-friendly software is abandoned without replacement.

I think it is worth migrating the best ones.

nekrub2

Huevos
22-11-21, 01:09
How much programming experience do you have?

nekrub2
22-11-21, 17:06
I programmed xml based user interfaces for java applications and have a clue about object oriented programming but have no phython knowledge so far. This doesn't mean I could learn it.

ccs
22-11-21, 17:09
.... you'll need to find the source of these plugins first, a couple haven't changed for 5 years and are only available as .ipk's.

Huevos
22-11-21, 17:44
Yes, source files are needed. There are convertor tools to do the basics, and then you just need to run the code and deal with any problems.

twol
22-11-21, 18:31
I programmed xml based user interfaces for java applications and have a clue about object oriented programming but have no phython knowledge so far. This doesn't mean I could learn it.

Providing you have programmed in some language, then you will understand the basics, then its a case of trying - so choosing a plugin that doesn‘t work in py3 is a good starting point, followed by large chunks of Googling.
My knowledge goes back decades to mainframes, so learning python was an interesting challenge (and is still a challenge!)

Tkr001
23-11-21, 22:11
Providing you have programmed in some language, then you will understand the basics, then its a case of trying - so choosing a plugin that doesn‘t work in py3 is a good starting point, followed by large chunks of Googling.
My knowledge goes back decades to mainframes, so learning python was an interesting challenge (and is still a challenge!)Haha I go back to IBM 360 Assembler :p

twol
23-11-21, 22:15
Haha I go back to IBM 360 Assembler :p
I knew Assembler pretty well - still have the IBM yellow code booklet! But started by punching machine code into paper tape or punch cards!

Tkr001
23-11-21, 22:19
I knew Assembler pretty well - still have the IBM yellow code booklet! But started by punching machine code into paper tape or punch cards!I still have the yellow foldable card. I was a Systems Programmer for many years on Dos, Dos/VS, OS2 and MVS. I was pretty quick on the 029 card punch.

twol
23-11-21, 22:51
I still have the yellow foldable card. I was a Systems Programmer for many years on Dos, Dos/VS, OS2 and MVS. I was pretty quick on the 029 card punch.

I still use the card for quick conversion decimal <—-> hex.

nekrub2
26-11-21, 18:13
Learning programming is one issue. The other one is that all the plug-ins I miss are from the same author without web page and email address. This way I cannot get the source codes.

nekrub2

Still remember when I wrote my fist basic program

Huevos
26-11-21, 21:55
Learning programming is one issue. The other one is that all the plug-ins I miss are from the same author without web page and email address. This way I cannot get the source codes.

nekrub2

Still remember when I wrote my fist basic programThat is the trouble we have.

twol
26-11-21, 22:02

nekrub2

Still remember when I wrote my fist basic program
The other way is to disassemble the .pyo

birdman
26-11-21, 22:35
Haha I go back to IBM 360 Assembler :pOddly I have book, "Programming the IBM System 360" but never got near one. I started life with FORTRAN IV on CDC 6400, 7314, 6600 and 7600.

ccs
26-11-21, 22:43
Any takers for Atlas Autocode ?

Huevos
26-11-21, 23:56
Yeah, yeah,yeah, and I started with an abacus before I was one.

dsayers
27-11-21, 11:36
The other way is to disassemble the .pyo

Some plugins use base 64 encoding aswel