PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty flashing different images

GeoffatMM
10-11-21, 20:23
Hi,

How do I set up a signature for my posts to contain my equipment details? Can't find it in my profile area.

I have received my new Gigablue UHD UE 4K receiver and after a few struggles have got it to locate and download 804 channels which is about 800 more than I usually watch! Still working through the manual which is only available in German!

I am staying with the Teamblue image for now to enable their support as well as (I hope) help from this forum.

Next issue is to upgrade the LNB to a larger number of unicable channels (24 probably) but that can wait until the house move.

The first issue was that on a split connection the download of programmes was poor (only 10). The main unicable enters the house, is split to the VBox TV currently set to three tuners with the fourth (temporarily pinched from the Hisense TV for testing purposes) going to the new receiver. In this arrangement the programmes were limited to the 10 above (all BBC). When I connected the main unicable unspoilt to the receiver I achieved the 804 channels. I did not have this problem with the Hisense.

1. Does this mean the splitter is not doing its job properly or could there be another reason? it is a low cost (OK, cheap, what the hell THE cheapest I could find) splitter from Amazon so it could well be the principal suspect. Now that I am getting to grips with the technology I am more confident to invest in better so:

2. Any recommendations on the best quality splitters to use? I will probably only split it 6 or seven times in the whole house, with most of the plugs unused most of the time. French electrical regulations demand a connection in each of the main reception and bed rooms.

I recognise that I am not using the OpenVix solution at the moment but Teamblue is enigma2 based so I assume the differences will be be generally cosmetic and I can still get help here?

3. Are Teamblue image users welcome and can I get support for it here?

My first task is to work out how to use bouquet maker to reduce the channel listing. In the meantime:

4. Is there a simple way to suppress (a) Paid channels and (b) Adult channels when doing a scan? I can do it on my Hisense TV but cannot see how to on this receiver (unless it is all wrapped up in the bouquet maker)?

5. I have sort of got the IP player to work on my IPhone but it is a new model. Can I use any other (older) players with the Gigablue IP broadcast? I have a couple of old iPads that I use that still run a very old (but satisfactory) version of VBox TV and would like to be able to use them with this system as well.

6. Will anyone here be able or willing to help me with the GB Player or is this an exclusive for Gigablue to help me with?

Sorry it is a bit of a ramble. I will be more specific with future requests.

Geoff
110cms Triax Dish
Inverto unicable + 2 legacy LNB IDLB-QUDL42-UNI2L-IPP
Gigablue UHD UE 4K receiver
Teamblue 6.4 image

JonMMM
10-11-21, 21:04
Have not tried the team blue image, but Vix has autobouquetmake built in which is how I gain all my channels (freesat and sky free to air).

twol
10-11-21, 21:14
Teamblue is basically a OpenPli image modified so that it is built using the OE-A core. As such it uses the same unicable code as OpenPli and OpenViX.
Other OE-A images such as OpenATV use a different system to support unicable.
As its based on OpenPli, it is also based on python2 whereas images such as OpenATV and OpenViX are now python3 compliant and use the latest OE-A core. How long python2 images will be able to use the previous OE-A core (4.4) is open to question.

I have had both the Gigablue UE & UHD 4K boxes since they were first shipped here in Germany(Its a German brand) and have always used OpenViX, seeing no need to use any other image in terms of support or advice.

Which image you use is your choice, but in terms of long term use, I would go with a python3 image now!

GeoffatMM
10-11-21, 21:59
More questions:

7. OpenVix has a network distribution server which I understand will work with Kodi using the PVR add-on. Kodi does not work on iPhones or other iApple devices. Is there an alternative player that will work on these items please?

8. Is the server the Sat > IP server that is discussed in GB manuals and passed over for their own GB Player? if so, is it complex to set up or can a relative simpleton achieve it? I have scanned the Vix manual version 1.1 but cannot see a reference to it.

Geoff
110cms Triax Dish
Teamblue 6.4 image

abu baniaz
10-11-21, 22:17
The fundamental thing is to configure your tuners to match the reception equipment hooked up to it. I use "hooked up" to avoid using the term "connected". If you configure your tuners incorrectly, you will get it issues. Just because it works, it does not mean it is correct.

You description is that you have only one SCR available to use with the Gigablue. Does your tuner config match this hardware setup?
A.Yes.
B. No.
C. I think I did it correctly, how do I check?

1. Which splitter is it?

If you are using AutoBouquetsMaker ( you will have to install it from the plugin menu, system plugins section) :
In the providers menu, "FTA only" is asking you want to create "Free to Air only" bouquets. So say yes.
The "hide sections" menu allows you to hide bouquets.

If you are performing a manual scan instead of automatic scan, you have more control and can also set FTA only. However, this is dependent on the flags being correct on satellite data. It isn't always correct.

Please be aware that Enigma2 has background scanning enabled by default. Services will be added to the services/channel database (lamedb file) when you are on a transponder. They will not be added to bouquets as part of this process.

You can also enable parental controls. Hopefully it works better on TeamBlue.

Your receiver is hardware multiboot capable. You can have different images and try them. Also, you can have a stable setup in one slot and on another slot you can do your experimenting/learning.

GeoffatMM
10-11-21, 22:27
OK, searched the manual and the web and cannot find a multi boot guide. Probably one in German but that will not help me.

9. Does anyone have experience of trying to multi boot on this receiver? I have downloaded the Vix image but would prefer not to overwrite the TeamBlue image just yet if possible.

Geoff
110cms Triax Dish
Teamblue 6.4 image

abu baniaz
10-11-21, 22:28
7. All Enigma2 images will work with Kodi etc.
You can use your phone to connect to receiver using openwebif. Just put the IP address of receiver on your browser.
Android users use Dreamdroid etc, there are IOS applications. You will have to search.

8. Not many users on this forum know much about Sat IP. I know nothing about it other than teh tuner can be streamed to other devices/applications like TVHeadend. You may get more info on a German forum.

abu baniaz
10-11-21, 22:36
9. You will have to flash the image using the GUI, not USB. This will allow you to specify which slot to use.
There are slight differences between the GUIs on the images. But in essence they are the same and use ofgwrite to do the flashing.

As mentioned above, TeamBLue is very similar to PLI. So transfer the zipped image to the root of the hdd or the folder called "images "or "downloaded images". I think, Menu > Setup > Flash image will invoke the process.

On Vix it is Blue > Vix.... > Image Manager > download/flash (buttons)
Downloaded images on Vix are saved to a folder called imagebackups.

Once flashed, to boot between images:
Menu > Setup > standby/restart > Multiboot image selector (might be slight differences in name)

GeoffatMM
11-11-21, 00:36
Question

10. I have tried to follow this guide:

How to flash a Gigablue UHD UE 4K.

I placed the gigablue folder (6.0.001in the root of the USB (Kingston 4GB). This folder contains a folder called ue4k and within this folder are the boot files.

I tried to follow this link:

HP format tool http://www.pcworld.com/product/946261/hp-usb-disk-storage-format-tool.html

and got to a "Page not Found" message.

The other two links work but 7zip is (of course) a windows exe file only so for a Mac user like me it is of no value.

The receiver found and began the Vix flash after I pressed the power button it told me not to power off as it was flashing. The screen then went blank and nothing happened.

I waited several minutes, removed the USB stick and rebooted and the Teamblue logo returned so effectively no flash has taken place.

I then downloaded and tried 5.4.016 and exactly the same thing happened.

So the receiver is recognising the flash image and trying to use it but the machine is not allowing the flash to take place.

Have I done something wrong or missed a step? Or is it a fault in the machine?

Now stuck with Teamblue until someone can help me.

Geoff

PS:

I have tried to delete some of the user bouquets that arrived on the machine (based on a German scan I assume) and I get an Enigma error crash that forces a reboot of the receiver. I suspect that the flash memory is somehow write protected and that is stopping the flash. It may have been setup like that by Gigablue or I may have inadvertently done it when exploring the menus. is there a way to overcome this? Well, I am sure there is but can you'll me what it is! The system is allowing me to scan and save the results so perhaps it is only certain directories that are protected?

G

GeoffatMM
11-11-21, 01:14
Abu,

I have just noticed your reply. This forum does not appear to sequence the posts properly for me.

It was not properly matched but finally I sorted it and got it to work and deliver 800+ channels. However the setup that worked only gave 10 channels after the split and the 800 with no splitting on the incoming scr.

1. The splitter is a BZT G887 6580 2-way 5-2500MHz with power pass. Once it is setup I will reinsert the splitter and try it again to make sure the signal is working properly or simply change it.

4. I was just starting with the bouquet maker when I sidetracked to flashing. I will follow your guidance when the flashing is successfully done.

On the flashing, I just cannot find a guide to explain how to do it on a multi boot process. Do you have some links for me? You will see with this evening's posts I cannot get the flash to work.

7. OK thanks I will try to find a solution for the iPhone but a dual boot would help as well.

8. OK. I will continue to explore and feed anything of value back here.

9. Thanks. (see Q.10 from this evening!). I think I understand what you are suggesting. Move the folder entirely to the receiver using ftp. Then execute the flash through the receiver menu system. Then select a multi boot restart to choose the image I want. Is there a full guide or do I just try it to see how I get on? Have not yet set up password for ftp etc. access so will try that tomorrow evening to see how I get on. Any links to guides before then would be useful for me to read through in advance.

Is the GUI approach to overcome the failure to write to the flash drive or simply for the multi boot? If it is only for the multi boot reason, will the write issue give me problems even with a GUI flash? (See my Q.10 from this evening explaining what I tried).

Geoff

PS A quick supplementary question:

11. I have not installed a hard drive in the receiver yet. Coud that be what is preventing the USB (and potentially the GUI) flashing from taking place?

twol
11-11-21, 08:26
Abu,

I have just noticed your reply. This forum does not appear to sequence the posts properly for me.

It was not properly matched but finally I sorted it and got it to work and deliver 800+ channels. However the setup that worked only gave 10 channels after the split and the 800 with no splitting on the incoming scr.

1. The splitter is a BZT G887 6580 2-way 5-2500MHz with power pass. Once it is setup I will reinsert the splitter and try it again to make sure the signal is working properly or simply change it.

4. I was just starting with the bouquet maker when I sidetracked to flashing. I will follow your guidance when the flashing is successfully done.

On the flashing, I just cannot find a guide to explain how to do it on a multi boot process. Do you have some links for me? You will see with this evening's posts I cannot get the flash to work.

7. OK thanks I will try to find a solution for the iPhone but a dual boot would help as well.

8. OK. I will continue to explore and feed anything of value back here.

9. Thanks. (see Q.10 from this evening!). I think I understand what you are suggesting. Move the folder entirely to the receiver using ftp. Then execute the flash through the receiver menu system. Then select a multi boot restart to choose the image I want. Is there a full guide or do I just try it to see how I get on? Have not yet set up password for ftp etc. access so will try that tomorrow evening to see how I get on. Any links to guides before then would be useful for me to read through in advance.

Is the GUI approach to overcome the failure to write to the flash drive or simply for the multi boot? If it is only for the multi boot reason, will the write issue give me problems even with a GUI flash? (See my Q.10 from this evening explaining what I tried).

Geoff

PS A quick supplementary question:

11. I have not installed a hard drive in the receiver yet. Coud that be what is preventing the USB (and potentially the GUI) flashing from taking place?
ref flashing follow Abu's post #8

GeoffatMM
11-11-21, 09:12
Abu,

I have set up and accessed the receiver over Filezilla as root. Search gives a file called imagewizard.xml and the following directories and locations:

There are other files (.pyo) but I do not believe they are relevant for this purpose.

Should I use one of these directories or insert it directly under the root folder (/)?

Geoff

:wave:

urie
11-11-21, 12:10
you need to have either usb or hard drive initialized and mounted and that is where images folder goes. not system. your box can take internal hard drive.

Huevos
11-11-21, 15:11
I think teamblue is using OpenATV Unicable code.

abu baniaz
11-11-21, 16:25
You will need a storage device attached to do the downloading then flashing. Hence my comment "root of the hdd". Can you please attach your HDD or USB stick first as per Urie's post, otherwise we won't get anywhere. In ext file system will be best. Receiver can initialise/format it for you. It ill then create the required folders once you get into the menus.

If we breakdown the Multboot questions into stages, it may be better.

How do I download an image

How do I flash an image and how do I pick which slot to use

How do I pick which image to boot into

BrokenUnusableAccount
11-11-21, 21:10
How do I set up a signature for my posts to contain my equipment details? Can't find it in my profile area.

Click on Settings at top of page on the right (just to the left of logout).

Then on the left of that page look for Edit Signature in a box labelled My Settings.

abu baniaz
11-11-21, 21:36
I flashed Teamblue on my GB UE 4K. There isn't a flashing utility/function. The option to boot into another slot/partition is there. So you are better off flashing Vix by USB. This will go into slot 1. You can then flash/install Team Blue or other images in another slot/partition.

GeoffatMM
11-11-21, 22:38
Hi again.

I am stuck again! I have installed a HDD (not easy as the instructions do not reflect the current machine). The install involves screwing through the base of the receiver, through rubber mounts and into the HDD. I can now see it on the GB GUI and over ftp. Have transferred the image files to the root of the HDD and then tried to find a flashing command. Nothing. I have scoured the menus to find how to flash a second image but there is nothing to guide me.

Can anyone help please. Bit frustrated this is made so difficult by GB to achieve. Nothing in their manual either.

GeoffatMM
11-11-21, 22:38
Hi Abu

Yes from what I have read on the net it seems that it is necessary to have a multi boot image flashed first then do an online flash of Team Blue into a second slot so that I can select one or the other. My problem last night was it would not flash but I sort of worked out it was the missing hard drive so that is now installed and I am trying to flash Vix again tonight. Will report success or otherwise a bit later.

GeoffatMM
11-11-21, 22:39
Thanks Beffudled, Signature now sorted!

abu baniaz
11-11-21, 22:48
d I am trying to flash Vix again tonight.

Please flash by USB using this guide (I am sure you have seen it already):
https://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/guides-and-tutorials/receiver-usb-flashing-guides/gigablue-usb-flashing-guides/

Or use Grog's script. Hopefully it will work if you are on Teamblue

wget --no-check-certificate -O install_vix.sh https://www.dropbox.com/s/hc2cdr116lvx3dj/install_vix.sh?dl=1 && bash install_vix.sh

GeoffatMM
12-11-21, 00:29
Well I am now getting fed up as nothing I try will work. I have refreshed the receiver using the online flash from TeamBlue and that has worked, reinstalling the TeamBlue image correctly. It gave me a vanilla image to work from. I then tried to flash from USB (which is the method that Gigablue says should work) and still it starts, tells me there is an OpenVix image and that I should press the power button. Once I do that the screen goes blank and then nothing happens. I leave it for about 10 minutes to be safe then remove the usb and restart and it comes back to TeamBlue.

What can I do to try to find out why it is not working? Run debug logs and post them? I would need guidance on how to do it please.

I will keep experimenting but this is proving pretty frustrating.

Geoff

Huevos
12-11-21, 00:50
Well I am now getting fed up as nothing I try will work. I have refreshed the receiver using the online flash from TeamBlue and that has worked, reinstalling the TeamBlue image correctly. It gave me a vanilla image to work from. I then tried to flash from USB (which is the method that Gigablue says should work) and still it starts, tells me there is an OpenVix image and that I should press the power button. Once I do that the screen goes blank and then nothing happens. I leave it for about 10 minutes to be safe then remove the usb and restart and it comes back to TeamBlue.

What can I do to try to find out why it is not working? Run debug logs and post them? I would need guidance on how to do it please.

GeoffThis is the OpenViX forum, not Teamblue. If you want help setting up a Teamblue image you are in the wrong place.

GeoffatMM
12-11-21, 00:53
Huevos,

I am trying to set up OpenVix but on a receiver delivered with TeamBlue that refuses to let me flash it. I am in the right forum. I just need help understanding why it starts then stops when I try to flash the OpenVix image.

Geoff

BrokenUnusableAccount
12-11-21, 02:02
Is this tutorial the method you are using to try to flash OpenViX?
https://www.openvix.co.uk/openvix-builds/Guides%20and%20Tutorials/Flashing%20Guides/GiGaBlue%20USB%20Flashing%20Guides/How%20to%20flash%20a%20Gigablue%20UHD%20UE%204K.pd f

Anyone know if this guide is still correct?

GeoffatMM
12-11-21, 02:18
Finally have OpenVix installed on the receiver but I had to cheat to do it.

I noticed that when I downloaded and reinstalled TeamBlue online, it generated an images folder on the HDD with the zipped file in it. So I downloaded a fresh image from OpenVix and moved it over ftp to the images folder without expanding it (ie, as a zip file). It did not work. When I refreshed the downloaded file in the online flash section of team blue, the Openvix file did not show up.

So I renamed the two files so the TeamBlue file was called old_TeamBlue and renamed the OpenVix file using the TeamBlue file name. I then ran the flash and it worked and although when I rebooted it the initial splash screen was GigaBlue/TeamBlue, it dropped into the OpenVix splash screen and presented me with the wizard. I am now going through that to see what issues I come across.

The first thing I noticed is that it asked me to set up Tuner A (Jess etc.) then Tuner B (which I set to loop though connected to A). It did not then ask me for tuners C to H. When the scan finishes I will go back into tuner setup to see if the other tuners are there and how they are set.

Scan finished. 800+ channels. Tuners C to H set to auto. I will do some recording testing tomorrow.

Now I need to know how to install the TeamBlue image through the Vix Image Manager settings. It offers me Pli, ATV and one other but not TeamBlue. I assumed it would put the image in the Downloads list as it is still in the images folder on the hard drive but it is not there. How do I now install TeamBlue into another startup slot please?

Geoff

GeoffatMM
12-11-21, 02:21
BeffudledBrian,

It is what I was trying and I have made some comments on it earlier in this thread as one of the links no longer works. The rest of it seemed to though except I could only get it to start to flash then it stopped. See my recent post on getting Vix working.

Geoff

BrokenUnusableAccount
12-11-21, 02:38
I think you may possibly be using OpenViX Image manager incorrectly.

I'm not 100% certain it's the same on the Gigablue as on my Zgemma, but on my Zgemma box I go into Image Manager and I instantly see a listing of all the zip files in the /imagebackups directory of the hard drive in my box.
I choose one using up/down and then press blue to begin flashing it.

The yellow download buttton is for fetching images from the internet that are not already in the /imagebackups and only offers you the choice of downloading OpenViX, OpenATV or OpenPli.

Are you incorrectly trying to use the yellow button to flash TeamBlue?

adm
12-11-21, 03:00

Geoff

Try the OK button rather than the power button - a slightly different wording is given in the following guide

https://www.enigma2.net/tuto-how-to-flash-update-gigablue-uhd-ue-4k/

When instructed via the receivers display press the Power button front of the receiver or the OK button behind the front flap of the receiver to start the flashing process.

Try also completely powering down the box before attempting a USB flash - turn the box off via the back panel switch, wait for 60 seconds for all internal voltages to decay and then switch it back on again.

twol
12-11-21, 08:36
Finally have OpenVix installed on the receiver but I had to cheat to do it.

I noticed that when I downloaded and reinstalled TeamBlue online, it generated an images folder on the HDD with the zipped file in it. So I downloaded a fresh image from OpenVix and moved it over ftp to the images folder without expanding it (ie, as a zip file). It did not work. When I refreshed the downloaded file in the online flash section of team blue, the Openvix file did not show up.

So I renamed the two files so the TeamBlue file was called old_TeamBlue and renamed the OpenVix file using the TeamBlue file name. I then ran the flash and it worked and although when I rebooted it the initial splash screen was GigaBlue/TeamBlue, it dropped into the OpenVix splash screen and presented me with the wizard. I am now going through that to see what issues I come across.

The first thing I noticed is that it asked me to set up Tuner A (Jess etc.) then Tuner B (which I set to loop though connected to A). It did not then ask me for tuners C to H. When the scan finishes I will go back into tuner setup to see if the other tuners are there and how they are set.

Scan finished. 800+ channels. Tuners C to H set to auto. I will do some recording testing tomorrow.

Now I need to know how to install the TeamBlue image through the Vix Image Manager settings. It offers me Pli, ATV and one other but not TeamBlue. I assumed it would put the image in the Downloads list as it is still in the images folder on the hard drive but it is not there. How do I now install TeamBlue into another startup slot please?

Geoff

install the zipped Teamblue image in downloads
select from list in ImageManager
Blue button ... flash
select slot 2
will flash and reboot to Teamblue image

In the meantime, go to BackupManager (short press blue button, select ViX, select BackupManager
backup your OpenViX settings

abu baniaz
12-11-21, 08:47
You were pressing the button on box, not remote? Anyway, you are past that stage now. You have Vix in slot/partition 1 now.

To flash TeamBlue into slot 2.

Firstly
Download image from TeamBlue site using PC. Do not unzip it. FTP it to /hdd/imagebackups If folder does not exist, create it first.

Secondly, to flash image:
Blue button (while in live TV and no menus showing), Vix image management, image manager. Look at screen, one of buttons will show up as "flash". (blue button). Highlight image and flash it.

Stay calm, you'll get there. You are doing well.

Huevos
12-11-21, 09:03
Now I need to know how to install the TeamBlue image through the Vix Image Manager settings. It offers me Pli, ATV and one other but not TeamBlue.This is because OpenPLi, OpenATV and OpenViX (but not Teamblue) all use the same format JSON index in their downloads area.

GeoffatMM
12-11-21, 10:36
Thanks guys.

Twol, I did not understand how to install the zipped Teamblue image in downloads. I had the images in my HDD images folder but could not see how to view it from Vix. There is no downloads folder on the HDD and the only downloads I can find in Vix is the one in image manager which only shows online images for Vix, ATV and Pli.

8.1.1.2 from the Vix manual ver 1.1 shows a list of local images under >>>Vix>Image Manager. My receiver did not show any local images even though they are in the images directory.

So as a test I downloaded an older Vix image. This generated an entry in Vix and a new directory called imagebackups on the HDD. I then moved the images from the images directory to the imagebackups and they then appeared on Vix.

I then tried to install the teamblue image and got an error that said the directory (or file?) /newroot could not be created as it already existed. I tried to rename the directory but the server would not let me. I could rename the files inside it but not the directory. So I took the risk and deleted it. It would not delete but did delete the (unprotected?) contents. So the /newroot folder is still there. Permissions are 777 so I do not know what is preventing me from removing it. Or it is letting me delete it then automatically regenerating it?

So I am getting closer but still stuck. Can you offer an advice?

Geoff

twol
12-11-21, 11:04
Thanks guys.

Twol, I did not understand how to install the zipped Teamblue image in downloads. I had the images in my HDD images folder but could not see how to view it from Vix. There is no downloads folder on the HDD and the only downloads I can find in Vix is the one in image manager which only shows online images for Vix, ATV and Pli.

8.1.1.2 from the Vix manual ver 1.1 shows a list of local images under >>>Vix>Image Manager. My receiver did not show any local images even though they are in the images directory.

So as a test I downloaded an older Vix image. This generated an entry in Vix and a new directory called imagebackups on the HDD. I then moved the images from the images directory to the imagebackups and they then appeared on Vix.

I then tried to install the teamblue image and got an error that said the directory (or file?) /newroot could not be created as it already existed. I tried to rename the directory but the server would not let me. I could rename the files inside it but not the directory. So I took the risk and deleted it. It would not delete but did delete the (unprotected?) contents. So the /newroot folder is still there. Permissions are 777 so I do not know what is preventing me from removing it. Or it is letting me delete it then automatically regenerating it?

So I am getting closer but still stuck. Can you offer an advice?

Geoff

Reboot (long press power button - choose reboot not Gui Restart) and that should remove it

GeoffatMM
12-11-21, 11:28
Update:

Via ssh I discovered that the directory was "in use". Forced a reboot then ssh back in and I was finally able to delete the file.

Went back to the receiver and tried to flash the team blue image through Vix and once again, ofgwrite gave an error (b" [followed by nothing]). tried again and once more it came back with an error of existing directory (b" mkdir: directory /newroot already exists [or something like that]).

Stuck again.

Geoff

twol
12-11-21, 11:52
1. delete the newroot directory as before.
2. download latest Teamblue image to PC from https://images.teamblue.tech/6.4-release/index.php?open=gbue4k
3. copy to gbue4k (in my case /media/hdd/imagebackups ... but to your imagebackups folder)
4. On gbue4k go to ImageManager ---------> select Teamblue ---------> select flash, select slot2

I have just done all that and I was up and running in about 30 seconds (I have an OpenPli settings backup which Teamblue accepts, so didn't need to reconfigure)

I will keep this image installed for the time being in case you need Q's answered on TeamBlue

For reference in TeamBlue to flash an image select Menu/System/SoftwareManagement ... you will find Flash Online and settings backup tools

GeoffatMM
12-11-21, 12:47
Hi Twol,

Rebooting stops the running process using /newroot but does not delete it so I got the same error.

Rebooted, ssh in to delete directory then ran flash image again. Same issue.

As an aside, when rebooting the screen says it is a quad 4k not my UHD UE 4K. For some reason I have downloaded the wrong image so I am correcting this.

Unfortunately, now matter what I try I do not seem able to flash an image now. I wonder if it has anything to do with the way I git Vix installed in the first place by changing its file name and this is somehow affecting paths during the flash? I can't see how but I am searching for any reason that might be causing the problem.

Well now I am confused. I have rebooted the server. Deleted the /newroot directory and it does go. Refreshing the listing shows it does not exist any more yet running the flash comes up with the same error of /newroot already exists.

How do I dump everything on this server and just start again? There are no settings worth keeping.

Slowly becoming Mr Angry,

Geoff

GeoffatMM
12-11-21, 12:49
Hi Twol,

Done all that and it just will not work. please see the latest message I posted. I just want to reset the machine and start again, probably from a USB flash?

OpenVix is running but I cannot refresh it or any other image.

Geoff

twol
12-11-21, 13:00
So you will have to download correct image onto usb, but unzip to usb.
Then follow comments above to usb flash

abu baniaz
12-11-21, 17:23
Just for reference, to flash images by GUI/Remote, the locations probed for zipped image files are different across the images. Default values posted below:

OpenPLI
/media/hdd/downloaded_images
or root of hdd

Team Blue
/media/hdd/downloaded_images

OpenATV
/media/hdd/images

OpenViX
/media/hdd/imagebackups

The storage device can also be a USB stick

Images use different names for the process. But in essence they are using ofgwrite.

Flash Image
Flash Online
Flash on the fly

"flashing by USB" and "flashing using GUI/remote" work differently.

GeoffatMM
12-11-21, 20:51
Hi Again,

I thought I would add some images to explain what is happening. Just so you know, between each attempt, I have stopped the server and rebooted to stop any running processes. I have then accessed the server over ftp and deleted /newroot. I have refreshed the FileZilla page to confirm it has gone. I then stopped and rebooted the server a second time to check with Filezilla that the directory was not there.

I originally used a Vix image from online flashing facility download. I have now seen that only Quad 4K images are offered so this is why my Vix is Quad 4K based and I am not sure how to change that.

I have now downloaded the latest versions of both OpenVix and TeamBlue and moved them both via ftp to /media/hdd/imagebackups which can be seen from this image:

I have then tried to flash the machine using both images (remember that between each attempt I have gone though the cleanup process described above)

After the first attempt this is the message I receive:

If I then immediately try again (ie, no cleanup process, so /newroot now exists [confirmed by ftp as shown below]):

I get this message about /newroot:

It is the same result whether I use the correct Vix image for my machine, the latest TeamBlue version or the online download facility (I even tried Open Pli) version. I have just checked by trying all three again before posting this.

Abu suggested I have to usb flash it. I have taken the Vix image and extracted it to get the folder and file structure and placed it as instructed in the root of my USB. The machine recognises the image on the USB and starts the process. I press the power button and it immediately stalls, probably for the same reason that the GUI image attempts stall and fail.

I cannot find a reason why this is happening but it is and it is very frustrating It seems to me the only solution is to wipe the server from the machine using ftp (or something else) and then reinstall everything to a vanilla status but I do not know if this is feasible to do or how to do it.

Looking for ideas please. I have a very expensive brick on my table at the moment.

Geoff

JonMMM
12-11-21, 21:00
OpenVix GigaBlue UHD UE 4K image here

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?58461-OpenViX-images-for-GiGaBlue-UHD-UE-4K

twol
12-11-21, 21:05
Hi Again,

I thought I would add some images to explain what is happening. Just so you know, between each attempt, I have stopped the server and rebooted to stop any running processes. I have then accessed the server over ftp and deleted /newroot. I have refreshed the FileZilla page to confirm it has gone. I then stopped and rebooted the server a second time to check with Filezilla that the directory was not there.

I originally used a Vix image from online flashing facility download. I have now seen that only Quad 4K images are offered so this is why my Vix is Quad 4K based and I am not sure how to change that.

I have now downloaded the latest versions of both OpenVix and TeamBlue and moved them both via ftp to /media/hdd/imagebackups which can be seen from this image:

I have then tried to flash the machine using both images (remember that between each attempt I have gone though the cleanup process described above)

After the first attempt this is the message I receive:

If I then immediately try again (ie, no cleanup process, so /newroot now exists [confirmed by ftp as shown below]):

I get this message about /newroot:

It is the same result whether I use the correct Vix image for my machine, the latest TeamBlue version or the online download facility (I even tried Open Pli) version. I have just checked by trying all three again before posting this.

Abu suggested I have to usb flash it. I have taken the Vix image and extracted it to get the folder and file structure and placed it as instructed in the root of my USB. The machine recognises the image on the USB and starts the process. I press the power button and it immediately stalls, probably for the same reason that the GUI image attempts stall and fail.

I cannot find a reason why this is happening but it is and it is very frustrating It seems to me the only solution is to wipe the server from the machine using ftp (or something else) and then reinstall everything to a vanilla status but I do not know if this is feasible to do or how to do it.

Looking for ideas please. I have a very expensive brick on my table at the moment.

Geoff

I will check out usb flashing tomorrow morning, just to check out the process (I normally only usb flash on receipt of a box - unless I can get round it) - cannot do it tonight.
Will post any extra information.

abu baniaz
12-11-21, 21:30
What do you mean by stopping server? Best to keep things simple instead of adding variables/complications. You renamed files despite nobody advising you to, it has complicated things. Yes, I appreciate you should not have to ask questions to get it working. Forget flashing by ofgwrite at the moment, lets get the correct image flashed by USB again. I have flashed various images by USB today to test it, it works fine as a process. Disconnect the cables to your HDD and ensure there is only one USB stick in fat32 filesystem. Delete the old folder on USB stick before transferring image.

There is too much noise/distractions in your posts and approach. Sorry, I don't mean to be rude. Please answer following questions.

When flashing by USB, are you pressing the power button on receiver or remote?
Which bootloader are you on. The number is displayed on LCD screen when box is booting up.
If at all possible, record a video of the USB flashing so we can see issue. Enigma2 is not running when you are flashing by USB.

JonMMM
12-11-21, 22:37
Petty sue he is try to flash Gigablue Quad on a UHD UE, which will not work, but then he forced it

GeoffatMM
12-11-21, 23:44
Thanks Twol

JonMMM
13-11-21, 00:06
Have you tried downloading the link I sent you

Unzipping it to a small USB stick, turn off the receiver via the rocker switch as the back, plug the usb stick in the receiver, turn on the receiver by the rocker switch, wait for a message to come up, press the round power button on the receiver - let it do its thing

GeoffatMM
13-11-21, 02:14
Hi Abu,

I probably am giving too much information in one go but I am trying to make sure you understand what I have done. A server reboot kills the server and restarts it but it does not always kill off all processes. So I was brought up to physically stop the server (by switching the electricity off) then reboot it by restarting the machine. In the old days we called it a soft or hard reset! To make sure there were no gremlins left in the machine I physically turned it off for a good 10 seconds before restarting it.

The boot loader is 1846.

The flashing is done only using the power button on the receiver itself, not the one on the remote (which I assume would not work?).

Enigma2 is off for USB flashing as the entire machine is off then only switched on after the usb is inserted. I do not think the USB stick is the issue as it tries to start the flash. I think it is an internal permissions or other software issue that is preventing a file writing in the flash process. That is why I wondered how to reset the entire machine to a vanilla state.

I have once again reformatted the USB stick: [No idea why but the images are not uploading properly either. They are png files so should be OK].

Have once again downloaded the image from the OpenVix site and expanded it on my Mac and transferred it to the root of the USB. The only set of files on it.

The receiver only has power, ethernet and the monitor connected to it (I have been banished to the kitchen with an old monitor by my wife) and here is the video of what happens:

Actually I cannot work out how to upload the video. I do not want to upload it to a third party website and the forum does not appear to accept mpeg or mov files. It is fairly simple, I insert the USB and switch on. The mini screen recognises the image and tells me to press the power button with the LED flashing purple. I press the power button on the machine, after about 1 or 2 seconds, the purple goes red and nothing happens.

I have then restarted the machine and shown the attempt to flash OpenVix 6 ufrom the GUI: (Again, I cannot load this video)

It recognises the image, does a back up, starts a countdown while it prepares for the flash and at about 235 or 234 stops and gives me the message I posted earlier.

NOW THIS IS BIZARRE

I was not happy with the video so tried again. I accidentally flashed the quad version of OpenVix that I had downloaded through the GUI and the blooming thing worked! Does my UHD UE 4K have an identity crisis? Does it think it is a Quad 4K?

So I then downloaded openATV quad version and that too has worked. So it appears I may have a wolf in sheep's clothing. The delivery box and the receiver case are both stamped UHD 4K but it seems the innards are a quad unit? Is there a way to check?

Only problem is that when I flashed the ATV I was not asked about a slot so it has (I assume) overwritten the OpenVix. I am moving (quad) files now to get back to OpenVix. Can someone tell me why it did not ask about the slot to use for multi booting?

It would seem this box thinks it is a Quad. It is happily flashing between Vix, ATV and Teamblue using quad images. However, I am not getting an option to select the eMMC slot when I perform an update so I am limited to one or the other. I can flash and restore but that is a bit of a long winded way to change between images. I understood I would be able to select an image and just reboot as I do on a Mac or PC. Do I need to install a plugin or an extension for this to work?

The technical spec says it should have 4 Gig of eMMC onboard. Is there a way to check?

More questions I am afraid but at least all the questions on flashing can now be ignored. I will take to Gigablue on Monday to find out what is happening with this machine but any other advice in the meantime will be gratefully received.

BTW I am leaving it in Vix for now.

Geoff

twol
13-11-21, 08:03
Hi Abu,

I probably am giving too much information in one go but I am trying to make sure you understand what I have done. A server reboot kills the server and restarts it but it does not always kill off all processes. So I was brought up to physically stop the server (by switching the electricity off) then reboot it by restarting the machine. In the old days we called it a soft or hard reset! To make sure there were no gremlins left in the machine I physically turned it off for a good 10 seconds before restarting it.

The boot loader is 1846.

The flashing is done only using the power button on the receiver itself, not the one on the remote (which I assume would not work?).

Enigma2 is off for USB flashing as the entire machine is off then only switched on after the usb is inserted. I do not think the USB stick is the issue as it tries to start the flash. I think it is an internal permissions or other software issue that is preventing a file writing in the flash process. That is why I wondered how to reset the entire machine to a vanilla state.

I have once again reformatted the USB stick: [No idea why but the images are not uploading properly either. They are png files so should be OK].

Have once again downloaded the image from the OpenVix site and expanded it on my Mac and transferred it to the root of the USB. The only set of files on it.

The receiver only has power, ethernet and the monitor connected to it (I have been banished to the kitchen with an old monitor by my wife) and here is the video of what happens:

Actually I cannot work out how to upload the video. I do not want to upload it to a third party website and the forum does not appear to accept mpeg or mov files. It is fairly simple, I insert the USB and switch on. The mini screen recognises the image and tells me to press the power button with the LED flashing purple. I press the power button on the machine, after about 1 or 2 seconds, the purple goes red and nothing happens.

I have then restarted the machine and shown the attempt to flash OpenVix 6 ufrom the GUI: (Again, I cannot load this video)

It recognises the image, does a back up, starts a countdown while it prepares for the flash and at about 235 or 234 stops and gives me the message I posted earlier.

NOW THIS IS BIZARRE

I was not happy with the video so tried again. I accidentally flashed the quad version of OpenVix that I had downloaded through the GUI and the blooming thing worked! Does my UHD UE 4K have an identity crisis? Does it think it is a Quad 4K?

So I then downloaded openATV quad version and that too has worked. So it appears I may have a wolf in sheep's clothing. The delivery box and the receiver case are both stamped UHD 4K but it seems the innards are a quad unit? Is there a way to check?

Only problem is that when I flashed the ATV I was not asked about a slot so it has (I assume) overwritten the OpenVix. I am moving (quad) files now to get back to OpenVix. Can someone tell me why it did not ask about the slot to use for multi booting?

It would seem this box thinks it is a Quad. It is happily flashing between Vix, ATV and Teamblue using quad images. However, I am not getting an option to select the eMMC slot when I perform an update so I am limited to one or the other. I can flash and restore but that is a bit of a long winded way to change between images. I understood I would be able to select an image and just reboot as I do on a Mac or PC. Do I need to install a plugin or an extension for this to work?

The technical spec says it should have 4 Gig of eMMC onboard. Is there a way to check?

More questions I am afraid but at least all the questions on flashing can now be ignored. I will take to Gigablue on Monday to find out what is happening with this machine but any other advice in the meantime will be gratefully received.

BTW I am leaving it in Vix for now.

Geoff

You need to check the back of the box if it has hdmi In, e-sata and 2 usb connections at the back its a GB UHD 4K otherwise its a GB UE 4K… and the GB UE 4K has a smaller LCD.
I am guessing that you are not seeing the slot request because you are either hitting the OK button too fast or holding it down when you are flashing!!! .. or the OK button is stuck!
On OpenViX its absolutely multiple steps and on OpenATV you also get asked if you want to do a settings backup etc etc

Willo3092
13-11-21, 09:16
I accidentally flashed the quad version of OpenVix that I had downloaded through the GUI and the blooming thing worked! Does my UHD UE 4K have an identity crisis? Does it think it is a Quad 4K?

Geoff

You did say that you had to rename the firmware to get it to flash?
I did this some years ago and flashed the wrong firmware and the solution for me was to rename the correct firmware on the usb to the firmware that the box now thinks it is.
This was on an old box though that didn't matter. I think I flashed Zgemma H7 firmware on a Mutant HD51 but I managed to get it back working again.
As it's a new box I would probably speak to WoS and confess all before you try anything drastic.

JonMMM
13-11-21, 09:36
Do the reverse of what you did the 1st time, use the UE software but rename it to exactly what the quad name is flash that then you should be back to normal

GeoffatMM
13-11-21, 10:23
Hi Twol,

The e-sata is internal and there are three USB (one USB 3.0). There is a fourth USB at the front under the card reader cover. I have compared the case with the manual and images on the websites and it looks like a UHD 4K. The mystery is why does it respond to Quad images only and why am I not getting access to the eMMC for using different slots?

It is a brand new remote controller so I am sure there is nothing wrong with it. I have not been rushing through the menu structure when trying to do it. it simply does not give me an option to select a slot. it offers the backup then the machine immediately starts the flash without offering any alternatives. I wonder if the eMMC is there or not or if it is faulty as the software does not appear to recognise it.

I have written to GigaBlue for help but that will not be answered for a few days I suspect.

I would do some Vix screen shots or a video but I cannot get them to work on the forum at the moment. No idea why as I have added Mac screenshot images before.

Geoff

GeoffatMM
13-11-21, 10:34
Thanks Willo.

I am in touch with GigaBlue to try to resolve it. It is more likely to be a manufacturing issue than a vendor issue. I am now flashing it regularly using the Quad images so I do not think my original flash caused the problem. The machine definitely thinks it is a Quad so something is not right. The lack of option to select a slot is also worrying as it implies the software is not recognising any eMMC Ram. I am also chasing them about that. Problem is their response is nothing like as good as the forum!

I can now at least use the machine with OpenVix and get it set up to learn more about how OpenVix works and what it offers. The rest will resolve itself in due course.

Geoff

GeoffatMM
13-11-21, 10:36
Hi adm,

I missed your post yesterday. You will see I have managed to resolve most if the issues now. Using a workable (Quad) image helped!

GeoffatMM
13-11-21, 10:38
Thanks B B

Later posts show that I have partially resolved the issue.

GeoffatMM
13-11-21, 10:42
Jon,

Yes I have tried and it only works with a QUAD image not the UHD UE images. Convinced it is a machine fault.

GeoffatMM
13-11-21, 10:42
OK I will try that thanks.

PS:

It was a good idea Jon but it did not work. I think when I did it first time I accidentally did it with a quad image which is why it worked. As I say, I am convinced it is an issue with the machine internal gubbins.

Willo3092
13-11-21, 10:48
Jon,

Yes I have tried and it only works with a QUAD image not the UHD UE images. Convinced it is a machine fault.

It's not a machine fault you have flashed the wrong firmware as you admitted here: https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?64730-New-User-Issues-with-Unicable-and-scanning&p=518558&viewfull=1#post518558

You need to download the correct image and extract it to a usb stick: https://www.openvix.co.uk/openvix-builds/gbue4k/openvix-6.0.001.release-gbue4k_usb.zip

Open the gigablue folder on the usb and rename 'ue4k' to 'quad4k' and then flash the box.

This will then restore the box to being a UHD 4K which is what it was in the first place.

GeoffatMM
13-11-21, 11:19
Thanks Willo,

When I tried that it did not recognise that there was an image on the USB. To check I charged it back to ue4k and it then recognised the image but does not complete the flash. So back where I was.

GeoffatMM
13-11-21, 13:03
Hi all,

I have found in the file structure over ftp a folder called “backup_teamblue_gbue4k”

It contains two files:

I wondered if I could reinstall this backup which must have been done automatically on 11th November. However, I cannot see how to restore from an old backup in the menu system. I have searched the web but although it gives guides on how to do a backup, there is nothing I can find on how to do a restore from files like this. Is there a guide anywhere that someone knows of?

I assume it will be like flashing the receiver but how do I get the files into a format that the online flashing can recognise?

Willo3092
13-11-21, 13:29
It's nothing like flashing the receiver. It just restores previous settings.
What receiver does it say it is in MENU > INFORMATION > ABOUT

Willo3092
13-11-21, 14:54
When you've found out what the receiver thinks it is, you need to establish which one it actually is.

GeoffatMM
13-11-21, 15:09
Hi Willo,

It thinks it is a Quad 4K.

It is definitely a UHD 4K.

What is the point of doing an image backup if it cannot then be used to restore a state?

ronand
13-11-21, 15:21
You didnt do an image backup - you only did a settings backup

Willo3092
13-11-21, 15:24
Those files you found aren't image backups, they are settings backups.

So at least you've definitely established that the box has been flashed with the wrong image.
I'm pretty sure that the only way to get it back to the right image would be to flash by usb.

Are you following the flash by usb instructions here? https://www.openvix.co.uk/openvix-builds/Guides%20and%20Tutorials/Flashing%20Guides/GiGaBlue%20USB%20Flashing%20Guides/How%20to%20flash%20a%20Gigablue%20UHD%20UE%204K.pd f

I'm still convinced that you should be able to flash the UHD UE image by usb or at least by renaming the folder to the quad version.

Willo3092
13-11-21, 15:38
Have you tried formatting the usb stick?

https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/format-external-hard-drive-or-usb-drive-for-mac.html

You need to download the correct image and extract it to the usb stick: https://www.openvix.co.uk/openvix-bu...gbue4k_usb.zip

Try to flash it as it is. If that doesn't work:

Open the gigablue folder on the usb and rename 'ue4k' to 'quad4k' and then try flash the box again.

JonMMM
13-11-21, 15:43
Have you tried formatting the usb stick?

https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/format-external-hard-drive-or-usb-drive-for-mac.html

You need to download the correct image and extract it to the usb stick: https://www.openvix.co.uk/openvix-bu...gbue4k_usb.zip

Try to flash it as it is. If that doesn't work:

Open the gigablue folder on the usb and rename 'ue4k' to 'quad4k' and then try flash the box again.

Do not use the ' marks

Willo3092
13-11-21, 16:51
There is no difference in the file names between the 2 boxes. rootfs is a bit larger on the quad, that's all.

62790 62791

GeoffatMM
14-11-21, 00:33
Hi again one and all,

I really do not know where to start with my thanks to everyone that responded and continues to respond despite the frustration I am sure gets transmitted through my posts. In particular thanks to Willo for finally getting me on the right track.

Although renaming the subfolder did not work it set me thinking about how I got myself in this position so I approached the Trojan horse solution differently. I took a UHD 4K image in BlueTeam and renamed the file to Quad 4K before sending to to the machine over ftp. I then ran the GUI Online Flash from the downloaded files selecting the renamed file and it flashed properly. The machine now thinks it is a UHD 4K once more.

Too late to try a USB flash tonight but I am pretty certain it will now run with the UHD 4K file. I will let you know tomorrow. A nightmare brought about by my own lack of understanding and dangerous level of knowledge (enough for sound bytes but not truly deep enough to keep me out of trouble) that has come to a happy end. I have made some good forum contacts and learned a great deal about Enigma 2, OpenVix and its other flavours.

There will be many more questions to come but for now I just wanted to show my appreciation for your help,

JonMMM
14-11-21, 01:00
Glade you got it sorted

GeoffatMM
14-11-21, 01:23
TIP

One last thing before I retire to bed.

Online flashing other images in TeamBlue.

The TeamBlue image only offers TeamBlue images for download in Online Flash and even if your (eg) openvix-6.0.001.release-gbue4k_usb file is transferred via ftp to media/hdd/images alongside other downloaded TeamBlue files the openvix file is ignored and not displayed in the Downloads section of Online Flash.

The workaround is to: either before it is transferred or once there using ftp, change the file name to teamblue-filename (teamblue-openvix-6.0.001.release-gbue4k_usb in this case) and then refresh the GUI. Now the file is visible and can be flashed from the GUI. I have just done this and my OpenVix is up and running.

urie
14-11-21, 11:46
Hi Willo,

It thinks it is a Quad 4K.

It is definitely a UHD 4K.

What is the point of doing an image backup if it cannot then be used to restore a state?

Quad 4k and Quad UHD 4k are two different boxes

GeoffatMM
15-11-21, 10:41
As this thread has been answered and new questions will go to new threads, is there a way for me to mark this thread as closed?

Huevos
15-11-21, 13:32
The TeamBlue image only offers TeamBlue images for download in Online Flash and even if your (eg) openvix-6.0.001.release-gbue4k_usb file is transferred via ftp to media/hdd/images alongside other downloaded TeamBlue files the openvix file is ignored and not displayed in the Downloads section of Online Flash.Probably worried people will load another image and never return.

No need to close the thread. It will just fizzle out by itself.

GeoffatMM
15-11-21, 15:30
OK thanks Huevos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeoffatMM
17-11-21, 09:30
Just for information and to close this thread properly. I am now running the machine properly with the correct image(s) and have also got the multi boot working. Took lots of attempts but eventually it was the USB stick compatibility that was causing the problem. Finally found a stick that would work and managed to get Multiboot working. Have also got ABM working.

I am now trying to sort out tuning and scanning but in other threads.

Thanks again,