PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from VU+ Duo2

rowladar
26-10-21, 23:33
Hi,
I've had a Vu+ Duo2 for 5 or 6 years and it still works perfectly but I am looking at possibly upgrading to something newer.
I still have my original Sky+ HD satellite dish feeding the box for free to air channels. I believe my Duo2 has DVB-S tuners but I see that the newer boxes have DVB-S/S2/S2X FBC Tuners.

My questions are:

Is my satellite dish/LNB compatible with these newer tuners or would I need to replace the dish and/or the LNB (as I seem to recall that the newer Sky Q boxes etc. had a newer dish and/or LNB type)?
Do the newer tuners use the same cables as my existing set-up?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Daran

abu baniaz
26-10-21, 23:42
Yes you can use existing cables.

Yes you can use universal/LNB with FBC tuners. But with FBC, you get full benefit of tuner when coupled with Unicable. It is not necessary.

rowladar
26-10-21, 23:56
Yes you can use existing cables.

Yes you can use universal/LNB with FBC tuners. But with FBC, you get full benefit of tuner when coupled with Unicable. It is not necessary.

Thanks Abu - I'm not familiar with the latest stuff I'm afraid. I'm not sure what FBC is or what unicable is... can you explain and then explain what you mean by getting the full benefits?

abu baniaz
27-10-21, 00:08
Have a look at this thread:
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?59981-Guide-to-using-Unicable

FBC= Full Band Capture

With Uncable, All 8 tuners on an FBC module can be configured individually. If you use an universal LNB, the tuners without physical connections will work in loop through mode.

JonMMM
27-10-21, 09:34
With Unicable all 8 tuners will definatly be able to tune into any channel, with loop through you have 2 tuners so depending on which channels those tuners are on will depend on what the other 6 can tune into.