PDA

View Full Version : External USB DVD-R/RW Not Recognised

artful
18-02-11, 11:24
I've connected a Buffalo external usb DVD reader/writer with separate power supply to my Vu+ duo and have installed DVD Player but the drive is not registered and can't be seen by either DVD Player or Media Player. Is there a driver that I need to install to get this working so I can play DVDs. I have ViX V2.0 installed.

I've only had the Duo a couple of weeks and am still going up the learning curve as it's my first linux box, however, the satellite side is set up and all working very nicely, including my CCcam home CS.

silverfox0786
18-02-11, 23:02
it wont be seen like that download file browser

then navigate to media/scd1

then to video_tx press ok on that folder

and video will play in dvd player plugin

artful
19-02-11, 13:07
@silverfox0786

Thanks, is that a download via plugins or the software manager.

Excuse the question but I'm very new to this - my first linux box, and I'm not too familiar with how to do things yet, but I'm getting there.

I do appreciate the help, if you could just explain in a bit more detail.

silverfox0786
19-02-11, 18:16
yes its in the download section

extensions if irc

artful
20-02-11, 16:19
I've installed file browser but still can't see the DVD drive. Do I have to manually mount it. I tested the drive by attaching it to my PC and it registered automatically, however, nothing happens when I plug it into the Vu+ Duo. Maybe it's not compatible.

silverfox0786
20-02-11, 21:34
I've installed file browser but still can't see the DVD drive. Do I have to manually mount it. I tested the drive by attaching it to my PC and it registered automatically, however, nothing happens when I plug it into the Vu+ Duo. Maybe it's not compatible.

once all is dinstalled and plugged in you must insert a dvd into the drive this is important to do

then restart the box full restart and then it will be allocated to media scd1

from there you can play DVD's

unfortunatly this is not a brilliant function in enigma2 and the process very long winded but it does work as i have a DVD drive connected to my DUO

artful
21-02-11, 14:04
Okay, hadn't thought to try restarting after inserting the DVD. As you say, not particularly conventional. Is it likely that this may be fixed, or is one of the other images better. I do quite like ViX but can't compare because I haven't tried any of the others. I suppose I can live with this and there's always the alternative of copying the DVD to the HDD. Guess I'll just hang on to my Panasonic DVR for a while longer.

Thanks again for the help.

silverfox0786
21-02-11, 16:58
Okay, hadn't thought to try restarting after inserting the DVD. As you say, not particularly conventional. Is it likely that this may be fixed, or is one of the other images better. I do quite like ViX but can't compare because I haven't tried any of the others. I suppose I can live with this and there's always the alternative of copying the DVD to the HDD. Guess I'll just hang on to my Panasonic DVR for a while longer.

Thanks again for the help.

no matter what image you use this is what u will have to do

with all the more pressing matters it has not been looked at to be improved in vix but has been put onto the list