PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo4K] Set default volume

Tangfolio
13-09-21, 17:31
Hi, We have just got a new TV and there is quite a difference between the TV volume and the STB volume so wondered if there was any way to increase the default volume that openvix always goes back to whenever it goes into stand by.
I have tried linking the volumes via various settings like auto volume and the HDMI but nothing seems to bring the openvix output to the same level as the TV except increasing the volume in openvix independently every time we fire the box up.

Willo3092
13-09-21, 17:32
I just leave the stb on 100% and adjust with the TV remote.

bbbuk
13-09-21, 20:26
Hi, We have just got a new TV and there is quite a difference between the TV volume and the STB volume so wondered if there was any way to increase the default volume that openvix always goes back to whenever it goes into stand by.
I have tried linking the volumes via various settings like auto volume and the HDMI but nothing seems to bring the openvix output to the same level as the TV except increasing the volume in openvix independently every time we fire the box up.The openvix volume settings should be held in settings file therefore after a reboot (or going into standby) no need to change openvix volume as it remembers what it was last.

I'm same as @Willo3092, I just set to 100% in openvix and use the volume for the TV. I have a Vu+ so Vu+ remote controls my TV volume

Tangfolio
21-09-21, 08:21
Sorry about the late reply, I have not been getting the email notifications.
Where is the settings file and is there any reason openvix would not update it as we find the box always opens channel 5 HD on start-up as well as the volume always being quite low.

ccs
21-09-21, 08:41
You can set the startup channel to whatever you want, by default it's probably the last channel you've tuned to.

Guessing here.... from live tv, press the down button, highlight channel 5 HD, press menu, there should be an option to set/unset the startup channel.

Joe_90
21-09-21, 10:04
For info @Tangfolio - CH5 HD (like BBC / ITV / C4 HD channels) uses DD on satellite and has fixed volume on HDMI output. If you are using an AV amp or a direct connection to the TV via HDMI, then it's that device which controls the volume level. I don't know about terrestrial, but I think the HD channels on Freeview use AAC, so the same issue may be in play, although you can use the options in the menu to transcode down to PCM which would have some element of volume control in the box.

EDIT - on my main viewing setup I use a direct component video and separate analogue audio connection to my TV, so volume control works for HD channels as it's downmixed to analogue stereo by default. In the AV settings you can set AC3 (or AAC) to downmix in which case you have full volume control. I have a second connection direct to my AV amp, but I have AC3 set to "Passthrough", so I can get 5.1 sound. When in this mode there is no control of the audio level from the box other than mute.

ccs
21-09-21, 10:50
Terrestrial, hdmi directly connected to tv (no amp) and no hdmi cec: Volume level is stored in settings only if it's less than the default of max.

Mute is not remembered.

config.audio.volume=50

Tangfolio
27-09-21, 12:47
Thanks for all the info.
We are on satellite input and think it is about sorted now, done a lot of messing about with the HDMI settings, not sure if some of it might be to do with the TV as it keeps starting on it's 'home' apps page instead of the last HDMI input in use and sometimes it recognises the make of the box on the HDMI input and uses that as a label but other times it forgets things like that and won't even come out of standby when an HDMI input comes on, the Phillips support is useless, I suspect the TV has to have some major problem before they will do anything.
The box is still deciding to set a start up channel at random and have to keep un-setting it.

Trial
27-09-21, 13:25
Hi,
on my Samsung and I think also on my Philips there is a setting which enables start on Smart Hub which I always disable. You can take a look at the settings directly at the TV.

Ralf

Joe_90
27-09-21, 15:00
Thanks for all the info.
The box is still deciding to set a start up channel at random and have to keep un-setting it.

The box should be starting up on whatever channel you were viewing when you shut it down. Alternatively, follow @ccs suggestion and press the down arrow key, navigate to the channel you would like to use as start-up and set it using the menu key.

smipx
01-10-21, 09:28
OP I feel your pain on this one. The volume on SAT (via HDMI to a sound system) varies quite a bit between channels. You soon get to learn the channles that are quieter/louder and quickly adjust. For me there is a big difference between BBC1 HD and BBC1 SD (used for local news) on the Zgemma H7S and also the zgemma HDMI sound is about 5 clicks louder than the TV volume using the TV built-in apps such as Britbox and then again a difference to the TV's own Freeview channel volumes. The decoder for sound I use has no settnigs "per source" and certainly not per channel per source.