PDA

View Full Version : [GiGaBlue UHD UE 4K] Gigablue UHD 4K UE - can't save settings / can't update / can't flash from USB

goldnet
24-08-21, 20:12
Hi all

Spent whole day reading/re-reading and trying posts and guides here with no effect!

I am getting freezing on some channels, which from reading here, I think are checks on OSCam. I turned those off in the settings and reduced but not eliminated them.

Other advice was to update image as this was a flaw that had been resolved.

BUT

I can't save my settings, they always freeze at 81% then time out.
I have successfully saved an image to HDD and USB.

I can't find an online software image - nothing appears (I believe the stb is correctly networked).

I have copied the 5.4.014 image zip file to a 3 different FAT32 formatted USB sticks. I thought it was supposed to load automatically if inserted when the stb was switched on. It boots as usual though.

I also unzipped the file and also copied the individual files to the root of the USB stick. No difference.
I copied just the UE45 folder and its contents to the root drive. No difference.

It's 3 years since I set up my box and I can't remember exactly how I flashed it last time!

I also thought I ought o be able to do it from my computer over the network or, according to posts, in 'couch' mode just using the remote.

I'm clearly doing something wrong!

Next I would try a factory reset followed by an image restore!

I have quite a complicated set of channels saved as well as other measures I also cannot remember fully, so would prefer to have a set of settings in reserve! I know they are all contained in the image file backup zip file so could copy across appropriate - IF I could remember how to copy files from computer to stb!

Any help appreciated - tearing my hair out and have a very important lice broadcast on Friday I'd like to capture.

twol
24-08-21, 21:35
Thats an old image!
Settings: I am assuming you are using Vix backup manager? If you press menu, whilst in backupmanager, where is it trying to save?
Try saving to a usb.
For images you need to download from the links above and then copy to imagebackup on the device specified when you press menu in ImageManager.
Once copied you should find it listed in imagemanager which should allow you to flash the image.
As its a multboot box, choose a different slot to the current image
But sort out settings backup first.

goldnet
24-08-21, 22:37
Thats an old image!
Settings: I am assuming you are using Vix backup manager? If you press menu, whilst in backupmanager, where is it trying to save?
Try saving to a usb.
For images you need to download from the links above and then copy to imagebackup on the device specified when you press menu in ImageManager.
Once copied you should find it listed in imagemanager which should allow you to flash the image.
As its a multboot box, choose a different slot to the current image
But sort out settings backup first.

Thank you for such a swift reply.
1. Yes, trying to use Backup Manager on the ViX menu.
2. I have tried saving settings to both HDD and USB (I changed the location from Backup Manager Menu) and the same happens - sticks at 81% and never completes, creating a timeout error, although a backup for the time I start it appears in the list.
3. So I create an Imagebackup folder on the USB stick first? And what files do I put in it - the image zip file, the individual files in the UE4K folder or one of the higher level folders?
4. I think current image is in slot 1 but how do I place the new one in slot 2? Not sure how to use that feature!

twol
25-08-21, 06:08
Put the zip in the folder. Then ImageManager choose flash and it will give you a choice of slots - choose 2nd slot of (as it should be empty) - it will reboot and you will go into wizard setup.
Settings backup. Turn on debug logs menu/setup/system/logs/log settings.—-> reboot and try again -post debug log, will be in log on hdd or usb if saved there

goldnet
25-08-21, 10:29
Put the zip in the folder. Then ImageManager choose flash and it will give you a choice of slots - choose 2nd slot of (as it should be empty) - it will reboot and you will go into wizard setup.
Settings backup. Turn on debug logs menu/setup/system/logs/log settings.—-> reboot and try again -post debug log, will be in log on hdd or usb if saved there

Thank you - last night I was able to copy the image to the Imagebackups folder on the USB. ImageManager found the file and offered me the choice of slots. I chose ither 2nd or 3rd slot and on each time, the box crashed, with a 'something has gone wrong with the box and it needs to restart' message.

I'll try again with your suggestion about the logs. I would also like to copy the 5.4 image to the machine's HDD but can' remember or find how to do this.

twol
25-08-21, 13:04
When you power up the Gigablue, there is initally a 3 digit number displayed at the bottom of the lcd, what do you see?
Also you should have crash logs probably in flash at the moment(/home/

goldnet
25-08-21, 13:14
When you power up the Gigablue, there is initally a 3 digit number displayed at the bottom of the lcd, what do you see?

One step forward, two steps back! I managed to complete a save of settings. I think the problem is that the settings backup is huge and some of the USB sticks I used might not have had enough room, so the backup timed out. Sometimes I saw an insufficient space error too. Seems to be about 4GB. In the files to backup option, all boxes are ticked.

I also then managed to get the 5.4 image to load into slot 2.

On reboot, it said it had found a restore image and should I restore settings? Chose yes and trid what I thought was a complete latest settings backup.

Error message to say backup was incompatible with current version.

Allowed the rest to complete but it it then a completely empty setup, no channels, no settings and it will take ages to try to rebuild, if I can even remember/work out what I need and how I had it before (USALS, rotating dish, OSCAM stuff, channel lists bouquets etc)

ronand
25-08-21, 13:23
You can transfer the settings manually using your PC/laptop. Boot back into the first slot - everything should be as you left it.

Have a read of the last post in this thread https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?47588-Flashing-Settings-backup-and-Restores/

goldnet
25-08-21, 13:49
You can transfer the settings manually using your PC/laptop. Boot back into the first slot - everything should be as you left it.

Have a read of the last post in this thread https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?47588-Flashing-Settings-backup-and-Restores/

Hi - thanks for the link. I was reading that post yesterday. I am confused by the instructions of transferring setting from the computer but suppose I just read the bit about Python and Putty again and try bit by bit. I can also write down my settings from the old image and then set the new image to correspond. It's the OSCam bit that bothers me most as it is sort of working at the moment (apart from the periodic freezes when it's checking/restarting something)

I have made a fresh backup of the settings with the old image loaded. Then loaded the new image (slot 2 multiboot) and tried to restore the settings I just made. The yellow button to Restore wouldn't work.

ccs
25-08-21, 13:56
One step forward, two steps back! I managed to complete a save of settings. I think the problem is that the settings backup is huge and some of the USB sticks I used might not have had enough room, so the backup timed out. Sometimes I saw an insufficient space error too. Seems to be about 4GB. In the files to backup option, all boxes are ticked

My settings backups are only a few Mbytes in size, backupmanager/menu/choose files to backup (yellow button) has no folders ticked at the top level, which is the default.

Obviously some may need selecting depending on your system.

twol
25-08-21, 14:16
Hi - thanks for the link. I was reading that post yesterday. I am confused by the instructions of transferring setting from the computer but suppose I just read the bit about Python and Putty again and try bit by bit. I can also write down my settings from the old image and then set the new image to correspond. It's the OSCam bit that bothers me most as it is sort of working at the moment (apart from the periodic freezes when it's checking/restarting something)

I have made a fresh backup of the settings with the old image loaded. Then loaded the new image (slot 2 multiboot) and tried to restore the settings I just made. The yellow button to Restore wouldn't work.
As CCS has said look at the settings file first - it should not be that big and text lines - you might post here so we can see whats in it.
If you are happy with contents try this (nothing to lose)
Boot into 2nd slot
Then putty:
1. Login root and blank password
2. enter passwd (I do mean that) and enter new password 2x as requested (remember password) 5.4 and later require password.
3. init 4 (space between)
4. copy settings file to /etc/enigma2 (rename old one first) with filezilla
5. in putty init 6 (space between)
6 do you have tuners setup? can you scan transponders?

Andy_Hazza
25-08-21, 14:49

You won’t be able to restore settings if you are on an old image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccs
25-08-21, 15:16
..... newer than 4.2 is ok.

twol
25-08-21, 15:32
You won’t be able to restore settings if you are on an old image.

I agree never a good idea,(but I have always done it) and goldnet seems to have such an issue, he has nothing to lose - although I am concerned as to whats in the settings file.

goldnet
25-08-21, 16:02
As CCS has said look at the settings file first - it should not be that big and text lines - you might post here so we can see whats in it.
If you are happy with contents try this (nothing to lose)
Boot into 2nd slot
Then putty:
1. Login root and blank password
2. enter passwd (I do mean that) and enter new password 2x as requested (remember password) 5.4 and later require password.
3. init 4 (space between)
4. copy settings file to /etc/enigma2 (rename old one first) with filezilla
5. in putty init 6 (space between)
6 do you have tuners setup? can you scan transponders?

I replied but my reply seems to have vanished!

I can't open the Settings file (won't unzip), tried to upload but it never completes (as I said it's 4GB and I think the system is choking on it!)

I can try this but no idea if the settings fle is good! Also, what do I connect Filezilla to? Use the IP on the box on my LAN?

I just restarted into the new image and the Tuner settings were showing the same as under the former image. I adjusted my longitude and latitude (which were slightly off and look like London!), went to 19.2E and scanned the satellite. All FTA channels working.

So if, as my first priority, I can get CCcam and OScam reinstalled and connected, I can at least attend to my urgent captures! Then tweak the rest later.

It is certainly head-scratchingly odd!

ronand
25-08-21, 16:52
There is no way a settings file could be 4GB. Possibly it is a full flash backup.

In filezilla use the IP address of the STB

twol
25-08-21, 17:16
For the moment if you are not sure of settings/configs then flip flop between the 2 images and pick off the original.
Worth copying the oscam files from one to another

goldnet
25-08-21, 17:30
There is no way a settings file could be 4GB. Possibly it is a full flash backup.

In filezilla use the IP address of the STB

Thanks. Done and I have got into the box with Filezilla - I thought I couldn't remember my login password. Having exhausted all and checked FTP posts here, seems there shouldn't be one, I saw something saying a password was needed from 5.4 onwards, so I set one up in Settings/Setup on the box and FZ now connects fine!

Copied CCCam ipk from WoS downloads and cfg file as advised in another post here and that brought up the channels that were not available before from the clean 5.4 image and scan.

Still getting the freezes though. Have again turned off the Frozen softcam check and rebooted. Still froze - after around 5 minutes.

So now I can either manually scan and recreate my channel lists, load some lists posted here or ftp the appropriate file settings across from computer (if any of the settings files I've taken this week prove readable!).

Got a Softcam error message but stopped the OSCam plug in. The CCCam seems to be working and presumably, I don't need both.

So, after all this I do have the latest image and can recreate my channels with a bit more effort. However, I am in the same situation as before - the key channels I want to watch (Mezzo Live HD, Classica Stingray HD, ORFIII for example) continue to freeze for a short period (5-30 seconds) every few minutes.

goldnet
25-08-21, 17:36
For the moment if you are not sure of settings/configs then flip flop between the 2 images and pick off the original.
Worth copying the oscam files from one to another

Yes, I started to write down a list from the 5.2 image so I could change for the 5.4 one.

Followed a post here about copying CCCam (enigma2-plugin-softcams-cccam_2.3.2-r0.0_armv7ahf-neon) and the cfg file and Mezzo HD cleared. So do I still need OSCam at all? I only had it in the first place because CCCam wouldn't work and I needed to put in the cfg settings manually.

I downloaded at the same time MGCamD as that was also a recent update. Do I need that if CCCam works?

Now it would be very nice to work out what causes these freezes and if I can do anything about them!

goldnet
27-08-21, 00:45
I did a settings backup from the new image and, sure enough, it was fast and small - mind you only one satellite and channels loaded so far.

What I thought I might try is load old image, make a setting backup of a single folder each time then restore to the new image one by one and see if that works. At least I would automate some of the process.

Presumably, I need to get all satellites and channels loaded first?

Wish it had sorted out the freezing though!

ccs
27-08-21, 09:09
Check this link again, mentioned earlier, it give you clues which files/folders you should take copies of from the old image, so you can copy them to the latest image....

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?47588-Image-backup-and-flashing-Settings-backup-and-restores&p=452828&viewfull=1#post452828

ccs
27-08-21, 10:31
And if you want to tidy up the folders backupmanager looks for, as a rough guide, this is mine..

config.backupmanager.backupdirs=['/etc/enigma2/', '/etc/fstab', '/etc/hostname', '/etc/network/interfaces', '/etc/passwd', '/etc/shadow', '/etc/etc/shadow', '/etc/resolv.conf', '/etc/ushare.conf', '/etc/inadyn.conf', '/etc/tuxbox/config/', '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf', '/usr/softcams/', '/etc/auto.network', '/etc/samba', '/usr/keys', '/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/AutoBouquetsMaker/providers/terrestrial_finder.xml', '/usr/script']

Some may not be relevant, but it might at least highlight what you shouldn't have included in your huge backups.

ccs
27-08-21, 14:16
And if you want to tidy up the folders backupmanager looks for, as a rough guide, this is mine..
config.backupmanager.backupdirs=['/etc/enigma2/', '/etc/fstab', '/etc/hostname', '/etc/network/interfaces', '/etc/passwd', '/etc/shadow', '/etc/etc/shadow', '/etc/resolv.conf', '/etc/ushare.conf', '/etc/inadyn.conf', '/etc/tuxbox/config/', '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf', '/usr/softcams/', '/etc/auto.network', '/etc/samba', '/usr/keys', '/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/AutoBouquetsMaker/providers/terrestrial_finder.xml', '/usr/script'].

Maybe I should have said that in /etc/enigma2/settings there is a line starting with config.backupmanager.backupdirs=. That will tell you what is currently being backed up.

goldnet
27-08-21, 22:49
Maybe I should have said that in /etc/enigma2/settings there is a line starting with config.backupmanager.backupdirs=. That will tell you what is currently being backed up.

Ah, OK, wasn't sure why that field was ticked in the second picture!

As in the old image setting backup, something was going wrong and resulting in the huge and possibly corrupt backup files, I thought I would make a backup of each folder separately and restore one at a time to the new image.

I was recommended also to transfer OSCam - as CCCam is operating under the new image, do I need still to do this? Do two cam apps provide a greater number of extra channels than just the one or is OSCam a better plugin than CCCam?

Andy_Hazza
27-08-21, 23:03
OScam is better all round imo.

goldnet
30-08-21, 22:37
Post weekend update!

I was finally able to restore my stb to its pre-update condition, all my channels/bouquets intact. Channel freezing continued.

Had some issue with the dish not moving properly. Reset the rotor motor. Eventually found the powered cable was a little loose at the wall socket.

I checked signal levels, which seemed low. Using fine movement options, I found levels were maximised with about 8 small steps. Used Auto-focus (slightly random, it was unable to sync east on some satellites) and calibrate (seems to o much the same job!).

Need to do some extended viewing on the freezing channels but what I did watch briefly last night seemed freeze free. I think (fingers crossed emoji!) that may have sorted it.

Have taken an image and a settings backup. Now to do the selective settings backups, update ViX image, restore all settings bit by bit.

Thanks for all advice

Huevos
31-08-21, 11:50
Have you got a viewing card inserted in your receiver?

goldnet
31-08-21, 19:16
Have you got a viewing card inserted in your receiver?

No, why (have to ask as my answer is too short otherwise!)?

Huevos
31-08-21, 21:11
No, why (have to ask as my answer is too short otherwise!)?

Please read the forum rules (https://www.world-of-satellite.com/Forum-rules/).

4a. NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN!