PDA

View Full Version : Which STB?

CarworldHQ
07-07-21, 16:08
Hi thank you for reading.

I am looking to buy a set top box. I used to have a Technomate system but that died long ago. I now want to get back into having my own satellite setup. I have a 120 cm steerable dish. Not sure what LNB I have, but that is not an issue I can change that if necessary. I have looked at various threads about set top boxes. I am familiar with Technomate. However, looking at what is available in that range the models seem rather dated. I am interested in having two tuners (not compulsory), so everything is in one box both terrestrial and satellite. I have noticed a few boxes are Linux based. I am aware of Linux however I have never used it so not conversant with it. I am familiar with the Windows operating system. is there any advantage in having a Linux based system? Does a Linux and a non-Linux system deliver the same result If that makes any sense?

Kind regards

Tony

adm
07-07-21, 16:38
Hi thank you for reading.

I am looking to buy a set top box. I used to have a Technomate system but that died long ago. I now want to get back into having my own satellite setup. I have a 120 cm steerable dish. Not sure what LNB I have, but that is not an issue I can change that if necessary. I have looked at various threads about set top boxes. I am familiar with Technomate. However, looking at what is available in that range the models seem rather dated. I am interested in having two tuners (not compulsory), so everything is in one box both terrestrial and satellite. I have noticed a few boxes are Linux based. I am aware of Linux however I have never used it so not conversant with it. I am familiar with the Windows operating system. is there any advantage in having a Linux based system? Does a Linux and a non-Linux system deliver the same result If that makes any sense?

Kind regards

Tony

You don't have to have any linux knowledge to use the Enigma2 linux boxes running Openvix, or to interface them to a windows PCs. Perhaps a few basic commands if you want to do a few things for fault finding etc. but if you need to use them someone will post what you need to type.

Example: https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?40948-How-to-use-Putty-for-Unix-Linux-commands
BUT I'll bet that 99% of Openvix users have not used any at all.

CarworldHQ
07-07-21, 19:11
Thank you for your prompt reply.I will continue reading before deciding.